Butterfly

Butterfly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Life is beautiful.

 

That is what Jeongyeon has been trying to convince herself in the long years that she has lived on this Earth. Every breath she takes is a privilege. Every morning she wakes up in from a night full of sleep is a blessing. And most importantly, every beat of her heart is a reminder that she’s human and should enjoy life like others.

 

But the thing is, Jeongyeon has been living her whole life not alone. Her parents and siblings have always been there for her, yet they could only do so much to heal Jeongyeon emotionally because they can’t give Jeongyeon what she really needs—a heart.

 

And by needing a heart, she doesn’t mean figuratively. She means it physically.

 

Jeongyeon was born on November 1, 1996 with a lifelong heart condition that doesn’t allow her to live past age 25, well, depending on lifestyle. Her parents had been very careful in raising Jeongyeon since she was a young baby, and even up to now.

 

‘She has Cardiomegaly.’

 

At first, her parents really didn’t know that much about the condition, but when the doctors did explain what the condition is, they could only do so less for their newborn.

 

The doctors showed several other diagrams from other babies of Jeongyeon’s size. It clearly showed that Jeongyeon had an exceptionally large heart. Though, the doctors assured her parents that most of the patients with this condition still live a very normal life.

 

And Jeongyeon really did live a normal life.

 

Throughout her childhood, her parents have been highly restrictive of Jeongyeon playing on the outside or undergoing strenuous activities. Her diet is even filled mostly with greens and dietary juices that don’t even taste that good. But it’s a good thing that her sisters pay heed to her so much that they also are willing to give up the comforts of eating delicious meat just so Jeongyeon wouldn’t feel left out.

 

Her life in primary school also went pretty well with excellent grades from a growing Jeongyeon. Her parents always fetched her, her sisters sometimes. And she was given careful attention by the school’s doctor per her parents’ request.

 

Nothing came up. So probably all was good.

 

No.

 

The diagrams still show the abnormal growth of her heart, too large for a primary schooler. But Jeongyeon is still asymptomatic. Despite that, her parents still didn’t let their guard down.

 

When Jeongyeon entered middle school, the same arrangement was followed. Healthy meals, big no-no to physical activities, and regular visits to the doctor. It’s as if the hospital has become a part of Jeongyeon’s life. She may have thought at one point of becoming a doctor. And until that dream becomes a reality, she can only hope for a completely normal life.

 

Everything was still good.

 

Until she wasn’t able to come home on time during college.

 

Jeongyeon had collapsed on the cold hard floor of the lecture room she was in. Clenching her chest tightly, tears welling up in her eyes as she struggles to breath. Her lips were pale, the left side of her face was planted on the tiled floor as her classmates watch in horror.

 

It’s a good thing that the school had a very watchful eye over Jeongyeon as the school doctor was on the scene with the quickest response time the university has ever seen.

 

With the help of careful supportive care and a few injections, Jeongyeon was able to return to a bearable but still volatile state. When the ambulance arrived to pick her up, her parents arrived too, leaving their work so abruptly upon hearing their youngest daughter’s first collapse.

 

Jeongyeon’s mom could only shed tears of worry and uncertainty as she holds Jeongyeon’s hand in between hers.

 

“How are you feeling, sweetie?” Her voice was thin, almost inaudible, but the look in her eyes gave her away. Jeongyeon wasn’t allowed to speak, so she could only nod as a tear escapes her left eye.

 

Jeongyeon takes slow and careful glances at her parents. She could already feel her heart stabilizing as the seconds pass. Perhaps it was because of the warm feeling her parents gave her with their worried and loving gazes.

 

Her father had a somewhat hopeful but sad smile on his face. Beneath his strong façade is a man who has the softest spot for his youngest daughter. He had to be strong for the family, and that is why he chose not to shed tears.

 

 

 

“Jeongyeon just went through her first episode of arrhythmia.”

 

“What does that mean?” Jeongyeon’s mother asks, anxiety evident in her features.

 

“It means Jeongyeon’s heartbeat has now reached a state of abnormality due to her heart’s constant enlargement.” He explains somberly, unsure what emotion to convey even when he’s still hopeful for Jeongyeon’s recovery. “We have already administered counter-drugs to help her heartbeat stabilize for the time being.”

 

 

 

A month has already passed by so quickly. Jeongyeon was already permitted to go back to school after receiving a heart implant that would restart her heart if ever it struggles to beat.

 

Her life pretty much went back to normal in the following months. She had been doing so well at school that she had gained the attention of men, and even women. Jeongyeon grew up to be a woman whose physical features were sculpted to perfection, starting with her small face, down to her tiny waist, and finally her legs that went on for miles. For sure she was going to catch the attention of a lot of people given her physical appearance alone. The only thing is that Jeongyeon didn’t bother opening her heart up to anyone who ever tried to get to her.

 

Whenever she spent time in the gymnasium to watch sports with her friends, she can’t help but feel jealous that these people were born normal, healthy to be exact. Could it be that Jeongyeon was cursed because she had done something so heinous in the past? That thought always had her cracking up, and she had been constantly joking about it to her parents and siblings who somehow thought that Jeongyeon is getting the hang of her own condition.

 

Fastforward; Jeongyeon had graduated from college with flying colors. Finding a job was so easy for her since companies always look for the best of the best, and that happened to be Jeongyeon. It’s kind of comedic that Jeongyeon is so excellent even if she had to live life with a handicap.

 

Good thing that for the next months, nothing came along. It almost seemed that Jeongyeon had been cured from her condition even though she could still feel irregularities in her heartbeat. But it’s been the most normal she’s ever felt since the first time she collapsed. And she can only hope that’s really the case.

 

Her boss had been very good to her. Already having proved herself to be an indispensable employee, she was never allowed to work overtime and to handle stressful projects.

 

But even though Jeongyeon has been actively avoiding everything that needs to be avoided, even though she has taken what needs to be taken, her second collapse still came.

 

She was supposed to be on her way home when she collapsed flat on the cold tiled floor of the building lobby. Her heart implant quickly did its job, but it couldn’t do more than just to restart her heart. The pain surging throughout her whole body still persisted, making her scream in agony.

 

Another trip to the hospital. Another round of tests. Another round of counter-drugs that numbed her body. Another wave of uncertainty that hits her wavering thoughts.

 

A group of doctors were present in her room to talk to her parents about her latest episode. They were too good in consoling and reassuring that even Jeongyeon herself believed that she would be cured from her condition. But that meant more prescription drugs and restrictions. And she had to spend a minimum of two weeks in the confines of her hospital room, under the watchful care of a new cardiologist named Park Jihyo.

 

Jeongyeon admits that this new doctor is such breather from the usual old and gruff cardiologists she had throughout her entire life. Jihyo had also managed to befriend Jeongyeon throughout her entire stay in the hospital. And when Jeongyeon was discharged from the hospital and was already permitted to work, Jihyo would always find time to see her most important patient, her bestfriend, who turned out to be Jeongyeon.

 

Jihyo was present when Jeongyeon collapsed for the third time, a few months after the second. And from there, everyone knew that it’s only going to get worse in the next occurrences.

 

“Jeongyeon needs a heart transplant.”

 

It was the final decision that Jihyo had made both as Jeongyeon’s doctor and bestfriend. It still confuses her why Jeongyeon’s doctors in the past didn’t recommend a heart transplant in the first place. Were they too confident that Jeongyeon’s condition would be healed like how the statistics on other patients showed?

 

That option has also been looming in the minds of Jeongyeon’s parents and siblings. Why didn’t the other doctors recommend heart transplant?

 

The thing is, a human’s heart is hard to come by, and it’s always not readily available. Plus, it’s too expensive for an average family, like Jeongyeon’s, to even afford. They’d be in debt, and Jeongyeon wouldn’t want that. So the most viable option is to wait for a donor.

 

Weeks passed and no donor is to be found. Jeongyeon guesses she could still wait even longer.

 

Months have passed. This is probably the longest span of time that Jeongyeon and her family have ever waited up for something that may not even come. But they’re still hopeful that a donor will come soon.

 

A year has passed and Jeongyeon has already collapsed twice, albeit both occurrences were far from each other. It only led her to take more aggressive prescription drugs that will prolong her life until the donor comes. And she had already been recommended to be confined in the hospital for the sake of her health and for a quick surgery if ever the donor comes.

 

Finally, as another year went by, a donor finally arrives. A patient came in brain-dead early in the morning. It was great news for Jeongyeon’s parents because their daughter’s life is about to change. Jeongyeon herself was already so nervous, a bit excited, though part of her still is unsure.

 

Jeongyeon was already in her patient gown for surgery, waiting for the nurses to arrive in her hospital room. Her parents and siblings are with her inside the room, holding on to Jeongyeon’s hand and hugging her out of joy and relief.

 

All was going well, but when the universe has already conspired with destiny, you’d have no choice but to give in to what the world has in store for you.

 

Another patient desperately needed the heart transplant. At first, Jeongyeon was kind of angered that she had to wait years for this only to be overtook by someone who may have been waiting for a shorter amount of time. But when she met the young children of the patient, all thoughts of anger were washed away from her mind. These children needed their mother, and Jeongyeon was more than willing to sacrifice her once in a lifetime chance of ever getting the surgery.

 

She really has a big heart after all. Her parents could only hug her, slowly accepting that the donor wasn’t really meant for Jeongyeon. But there would be another time. Hopefully.

 

 

 

Another year has passed and Jeongyeon’s condition only got worse. Jihyo had discontinued Jeongyeon’s intake of aggressive counter-drugs so that her body will not develop reliance on the drugs. Instead, she put Jeongyeon on supportive care. But the years that Jeongyeon has spent in the hospital was becoming much of a burden to her parents and sisters who were working their asses off just to pay off the hospital bills.

 

In a moment of solitude, she thought of just accepting her destiny. It’s sad and painful, but she had a heart that cared for her own family. She didn’t want to see them suffer because of her condition. So she decided to break it to them.

 

“I want to give up.”

 

Those words took a lot of her emotional strength, even draining that of her parents and sisters who were eagerly listening for what she has to say. It’s as if the sky has fallen on them, a sign that there really is no hope left for their youngest.

 

As parents, it’s hard to see your children go before you. But in a dire situation like this, with their youngest daughter in unbearable pain, they had no choice but to concede with what Jeongyeon had asked of them.

 

“So what do you want to do now, sweetie?” Her mom asked, a somber smile hides the immense pang of sadness that filled her soul.

 

“I want to go somewhere.”

 

Jeongyeon’s mind had been set to enjoy her remaining time somewhere that would give her peace. Her parents could only agree to her decision even if it hurt them to see Jeongyeon away from them.

 

 

 

Immediately after Jeongyeon’s decision to just enjoy her remaining time, her parents helped her move to Jeju. They bought a small but livable house by the beach on the southern end of the island.

 

Jeongyeon was more than happy that her parents were supportive of her decision to move to Jeju. She had long wanted to visit the island after their first tour there back when she was still a young child.

 

Her two older sisters alternated in visiting her, spending several nights in Jeongyeon’s abode before heading back to Seoul, then the cycle goes on. Her mother visited her the most often, almost every weekend she travels to Jeju via KTX and a boat trip, plane tickets were too expensive to frequent. Her father visited her the least often, at least three times a month he comes with his wife. He had also tried his best to work with Jihyo in finding a donor without Jeongyeon even knowing. It goes to show that he’s still really desperate and hopeful to prolong his daughter’s life.

 

The first month Jeongyeon spent in her new house felt so refreshing. It’s a breather from the hustle and bustle of Seoul. It’s much quieter in here, with only the sound of the waves crashing on the beach and the seabirds chirping filling her ears whenever she spends time on the patio.

 

The first month has also been pretty good ever since she met this certain neighbor whose house is situated directly beside Jeongyeon’s.

 

Enter Im Nayeon.

 

 

Jeongyeon’s POV

 

It has been a week since I moved to this island. I’ve spent most of that time adjusting to the different atmosphere in here. The air certainly feels better than that of Seoul. And most importantly, I feel at peace in here.

 

As I’m waiting for my eventual departure, I’m going to spend the rest of my remaining time here. But don’t get me wrong, I’ve already accepted that I’m not going to be here for long. Though it still saddens me that I’m going to make my parents and my sisters sad by the time I disappear. And that’s why I always contact them through video calls before sleeping at night.

 

It really feels different. Being away from your loved ones really brings a wave of melancholy to your soul, but this is the only way for me to feel alive and independent. I really don’t want to depend on them in my remaining days anymore. Well maybe except for funds since they have pleaded me to let them pay for my dues. When I did accept, it made them happy, and I’m happy that I made them happy.

 

I’ve also been learning how to cook my own meals. Well, to be honest, I already knew how to cook since my father is a chef, and our bonding time consisted mostly of learning new recipes and cleaning. Yes, I love cleaning.

 

It was probably on my fourth night alone that I was cooking beef stew for myself when I suddenly heard a knock outside. It was the first time I’ve ever heard someone knock on my door late at night. I was scared, to be honest. But I reached for the door anyway, carefully making my way and arguing inside my head if I should even open the door.

 

“Hello?”

 

A voice came from the other side of the door. It’s from a woman. I thought that a criminal would never possess this kind of sweet and cute voice, so I slowly opened the door and saw a brunette smiling widely while holding out a bottle of wine on one hand and two wine glasses on the other. But what caught most of my attention was her distinct feature—her bunny teeth.

 

“Hi neighbor!” She greeted me excitedly, surprising me a bit since I didn’t know who she was.

 

“Uh… hey?” I responded unsurely.

 

“I’m your next door neighbor, and I’ve only recently learned that someone has moved to this house. So yeah, I wanted to welcome you in this neighborhood.” She explains shyly, bringing her shoulders closer together.

 

I wasn’t one to deny kind gestures like this, so I let her in. The way she reacted was too cute for me to even explain. It had me smiling and chuckling lightly as I watch her frolicking like a little kid.

 

Wait, I don’t even know her name yet.

 

“I’m Im Nayeon.”

 

Nayeon. Her name sounds cute. Heck, she even looks so cute that I found myself openly staring at her until she lifted her hand directly in front of my face. Only did I realize that she wanted a handshake, so I gingerly took it.

 

“I’m Yoo Jeongyeon.”

 

“What a hot name.”

 

What did she just say?

 

Did I hear that correctly?

 

What?

 

I immediately felt my cheeks heating up to some kind of feeling that I never felt before. Better suppress this feeling before I start to palpitate again.

 

So yeah, I ignored the remark and invited her to my dining table and fetched an extra set of utensils for her to use.

 

“You live alone?” She asked as I took a bowl and filled it with soup for my guest.

 

“Yup. But my parents and siblings promised to visit me often.” I answered, thinking about my parents and siblings and when would be the next time they would visit. She nodded, so I guess it’s my turn to ask?

 

Okay, forgive me. It’s the first time I have ever let a complete stranger enter my house. What if she secretly wanted to rob me? Crap. I’m a practically a disabled person right now, and hopefully she would have second thoughts of ever trying to rob me.

 

“How about you?” I finally asked back after a mini argument in my mind. Hehe. Silly me.

 

“Yup. Been alone for as long as I’ve stepped on this island.” She answered with her cheeks full of rice. It would have been a pet peeve for me if she wasn’t too damn cute with bubbly cheeks.

 

Ugh! Why am I even thinking of her this way when I have only met her?

 

“Why did you move here?”

 

Should I tell her the truth? But I don’t want her to pity me. So maybe a white lie will do?

 

“I wanted to visit the place.” I tried my best to look convincing. I sighed internally when she nodded.

 

“Forgive me for crashing your place. The beef stew you were cooking just smelled too good that I knew I had to befriend you for your cooking.” She stated cheekily, showing that bunny smile of hers again. Her reason for visiting me tonight had me cracking up. I’ve never heard of someone who befriended someone for their cooking, so I thought she was just joking. But when I saw the sincere smile on her face, I realized she was actually serious.

 

“I didn’t think it would be that good.” I answered, a bit unsure since I’ve been eating these kinds of food all my life.

 

“You’d think, but from me who’s been eating mostly store bought food, I’d think this stew is a masterpiece.” She took several slurps from the bowl and another spoonful of rice.

 

I could only look at her eating so beautifully. Of course I’d appreciate people eating what I cook, and to see this certain Nayeon, who’s basically a stranger to me, eating my food, it fills me with joy that she appreciates my cooking.

 

“So tell me more about yourself, Jeongyeon.”

 

This woman certainly is talkative. She’s pretty blunt too. But she’s my neighbor, so I guess I should just continue this conversation with her or it would be awkward if I cut her off.

 

“Hmmm… Where should I start?” I mumble to myself, but she heard it and chuckled.

 

“Do you usually talk to yourself like that?” She suddenly butted in with a faux-sneer but I didn’t mind it.

 

“I’m Yoo Jeongyeon, 23 years of age. I was born in Suwon but grew up in Seoul. That’s all.” I exaggerated a bow, making the woman in front of me crack up, even to the point of throwing her head back in amusement. Her low level of humor surprises me but I guess it’s her quirk.

 

“That’s pretty straightforward.” She commented after her fit of laughter. “Well, I’m Im Nayeon, 24 years of age. I was born in Seoul and grew up a cutie.” She wrapped her cheeks with her palms and pouted so damn cutely that I honestly felt myself ogling at this woman. But I immediately slapped myself back to reality.

 

“Made you look twice.” She stated proudly, shrugging at my obvious attempts of avoiding her gaze.

 

“You’re the only person I could look at.” I reasoned out, eager to defend myself even if I was already guilty of staring at her.

 

“Hmmm… I guess I just standout too much.”

 

Ugh… This woman. She’s so full of herself. But at the same time she’s also speaking of the truth. Gosh.

 

“Well, I can agree to that.” I seconded, albeit in a whisper-like voice that she still caught nonetheless. She smiled upon hearing my affirmation, taking her last slurp from her bowl.

 

“That was so damn good!” She exclaimed, her voice filled with legit emotions, plus it was loud too. “Can we be friends?” She asked, clasping her hands on her chest like a little kid asking for candy.

 

Well, what can I do?

 

“Sure.” I answered after a few seconds of thinking, her pouty face hastening my decision making.

 

So that’s how I ended up with this woman spending almost every night at my place to eat dinner with me. But yeah, I kind of like her company.

 

 

 

 

“Jeongyeon-ah!”

 

Jeongyeon struggled in catching up with the little bunny that is Nayeon. She was already clenching her chest in anticipation of pain. Luckily, the meds that Jihyo had prescribed her for the remainder of her time were so effective that Jeongyeon barely felt any pain coming from her chest these days.

 

Nayeon invited Jeongyeon for a walk and a swim on the beach before dawn on a Saturday morning. It was so easy to wake Jeongyeon up, and within minutes, Jeongyeon was already ready, clad in non-provocative swimwear and a white translucent cover up.

 

Now here’s Jeongyeon, struggling to catch up to Nayeon who’s about run the entire stretch of the white sand beach.

 

“Yah! Slow down a bit.”

 

Thankfully, Nayeon slowed down a bit and eventually halted, turning around to look at Jeongyeon while waiting for her.

 

“Alright granny.” Nayeon teases, sticking her tongue out to her neighbor. Jeongyeon could only scrunch her nose in disbelief.

 

“You’re much older than me! You’re the granny!” Jeongyeon retorts as she nears Nayeon. Nayeon just jogs in her place and does a couple of jumping jacks.

 

“I can still move my body actively. How does that make me the granny?”

 

It has been three weeks since they first had dinner together. The bickering came naturally as Nayeon was always so vocal and unfiltered with whatever she says, may it be brutally honest or plain absurd. But she was in the same wavelength with Jeongyeon, and that is why they got along pretty well.

 

They both took a slow walk throughout the whole length of the beach. Nayeon settled for Jeongyeon’s calm and relaxed pace, not really wanting to push the woman to her limits.

 

“How do you like living here so far?” Nayeon clung on Jeongyeon’s arm like it’s the most natural thing to do, her features weren’t even apologetic. It surprised Jeongyeon a bit though since it’s the first time someone she didn’t know for so long to cling on her.

 

“I love it a lot.” She answered truthfully. “It’s so different from Seoul.”

 

“It really is. I’ve been here for a couple of years, but I still love it here.” Nayeon suddenly started to lean on Jeongyeon’s arm, prompting Jeongyeon to let out a cough to catch the woman’s attention. Nayeon did hear the cough and felt an awkward air of silence between them. So she detaches herself from Jeongyeon and settled with just walking beside the taller woman.

 

“Sorry about that. I’m usually so clingy.” She apologizes shyly with a smile so innocent that Jeongyeon immediately regrets asking Nayeon for some space.

 

“It’s alright actually, but I’m just not used to that.” Jeongyeon tries to explain her side, to which Nayeon fully understood and created no fuss about.

 

Both of them didn’t notice that they have reached the tip of beach, too engrossed with talking to each other. In front of them is a tall rocky cliff that had a stairway for easy access, much to Jeongyeon’s relief. Nayeon takes the lead, gesturing Jeongyeon to follow her.

 

“I guess you haven’t been here yet?” Nayeon asks, taking a quick glance at Jeongyeon behind her.

 

“Nope.”

 

“You’re going to love it.” Nayeon confidently states, excitement painting her features. Jeongyeon follows her with a careful eye, holding on to the railings securely and watching Nayeon’s steps in case the woman suddenly slips.

 

When they reach the top, Nayeon helps Jeongyeon to settle on a grassy area. She takes her cover up off and uses it as mat for the both of them to sit on. It amuses her that Jeongyeon immediately blushes upon seeing her body clothed only in a baby-blue two-piece swimsuit.

 

It’s still a few minutes before sunrise, but the sea is already being painted in the hues of the early morning sun. Deep, fiery, and fervent, the colors surely are surreal. Jeongyeon never saw this kind of sunrise in the bustling city of Seoul. It fills her with delight that she’s about to see one of the most spectacular views one could ever see in a lifetime. But at the same time it saddens her.

 

Sunrises represent hope for a better day to come. She may have been bitter that she had no hope left to live as her time ticks down with every breath she takes. Though, she’s still able to appreciate the blessing of getting to wake up everyday and not continuing on to an everlasting sleep. She could only smile bitterly as she watches the sun slowly peeking out from the horizon.

 

“What are you thinking about?”

 

Nayeon’s voice brings Jeongyeon out of her thoughts. She then turns to Nayeon and smiles warmly.

 

“I was thinking about the fragility of life.” Jeongyeon briefly answers, leaving Nayeon wanting for an explanation, evident in the way she raised her brows.

 

“People may disappear without prior notice. It would even be too late to say goodbye to them.”

 

“Quite the philosophical type you are.” Nayeon comments, bringing jest into the air of seriousness enveloping them with the cold sea breeze hitting their faces. She’s able to shake Jeongyeon off her thoughts as Jeongyeon laughs those thoughts away.

 

“It’s the truth anyway.” Jeongyeon sighs.

 

“That’s why you must enjoy every moment you spend with those people so that in the end, you’d be reminded of the happy moments you had together.” Nayeon counters. A gleam of positivity radiates from her bright smile. Jeongyeon looks at her with eyes that of a lost soul wandering alone somberly in this cruel world.

 

“I like it that you’re so positive in life.” Jeongyeon compliments Nayeon for being so positive, thinking that she could never have hoped for a better ending since she had already accepted her destiny.

 

“What’s the point in living if we’re so negative? Might as well enjoy every moment we have on this Earth before we leave eventually.”

 

As if on cue, the sun’s rays fill Nayeon’s features with warm glow like that of an angel. And Jeongyeon knew right then and there that Nayeon is an angel sent from heaven to console her in her last moments.

 

This proves Jeongyeon wrong. She was wrong to think that the world is cruel, because in between the lines of Nayeon’s words: the world is only cruel if you perceive it to be cruel.

 

For the entirety of her life, Jeongyeon never thought of her condition to be a blessing. But to the people around her, Jeongyeon is a blessing. She had the biggest heart, physically and metaphorically. She was the kindest, which made the people around her adore her so much. Yet she only saw herself as an unlucky human being who was cursed with this condition.

 

“So what do you say?” Jeongyeon hears Nayeon’s voice at the back of her mind, only to remember that Nayeon is actually still in front of her.

 

“Pardon?”

 

“Let’s enjoy life together.” Nayeon’s face was hopeful, with a bit of authority that ensured Jeongyeon’s agreement. But Jeongyeon couldn’t have heard it wrong, right?

 

“Aren’t we enjoying our lives now?” She asks cautiously, careful not to overstep the boundaries of their friendship.

 

“We are, but what I meant was…” Nayeon bites her lower lip as she hesitates to act or speak out what she really intended to. But the look in Jeongyeon’s eyes lent her the courage to decide this instant.

 

Her action froze Jeongyeon in her spot.

 

 

Nayeon gulped and swallowed her negative thoughts away as she slowly leaned in closer to Jeongyeon. She closed her eyes when Jeongyeon’s face was only mere inches away.

 

 Before she even knew it, her lips were on Jeongyeon’s.

 

 

Jeongyeon’s mind goes haywire. Her eyes are stuck wide open, unable to comprehend the depth of the situation as Nayeon’s steals her first kiss after the vaguest confession ever.

 

Nayeon’s lips quiver as her heart rapidly increased its pace. She could already feel her heart bursting out of her chest. She had long imagined how it would feel to kiss Jeongyeon in the lips since the first time they met. And now that she finally had the luxury to feel them, her mind goes blank.

 

 

As a few seconds pass by, a million thoughts invade Jeongyeon’s mind. She had never wanted to create a deep bond with anyone that is not her family because she knows that she won’t be here for long, and she doesn’t want to cause pain. But Nayeon barged in like a battalion and destroyed her defenses like they were made of thin air, not that she even tried to stop Nayeon from getting to her.

 

When she feels Nayeon pull back, she doesn’t budge, still frozen in her place and her lips go completely pale.

 

“I’m sorry for that.” Nayeon apologizes out of embarrassment. Her cheeks are flushed red and her lips quiver in the smile she tried to wear. She tries to utter words but then her nerves fail her.

 

Jeongyeon brings a hand to her own lips, touching the part where Nayeon kissed her. She never knew that a kiss would bring her down that quickly. Heck she was even ready to die without ever getting to kiss someone. But here they are.

 

“I just can’t go on with my daily life without telling you I like you.” Nayeon tore her gaze away from Jeongyeon as these words escape .

 

Was this the reason why Nayeon took her out for a walk? It would seem pretty selfish of her to decide on her own, but she’s still a woman with her own feelings after all. If she did wait for Jeongyeon to decide, it would take years for that prude woman to even realize the tension and chemistry between them.

 

“Jeong, say something.”

 

“I need time to think about this.”

 

It was all Jeongyeon could say. She needed time to think about this. She couldn’t simply let Nayeon into her life as it would be too devastating that Jeongyeon would be gone in the coming months.

 

Still frozen in her place, her eyes managed to look elsewhere, more specifically on the newly risen sun. The air between them was so awkward that both of them felt chills up their spines whenever one tries to initiate a conversation.

 

Not satisfied with a very vague answer, Nayeon scoots closer to Jeongyeon and hugs her from behind, planting her cheek on Jeongyeon’s back.

 

“What are you so afraid of?” She asks, her voice sounding almost like a whisper.

 

“I’m afraid of heartbreaks.”

 

Jeongyeon can’t really say the exact reason. She didn’t want to be pitied. And maybe it’ll scare Nayeon away, and Jeongyeon is more afraid of that since she now can’t deny the tug in her heart that Nayeon gives her.

 

For once, she becomes selfish for herself.

 

“Then we don’t have to go through one.”

 

“It’s inevitable, Nayeon.”

 

Unknowingly, Jeongyeon’s hands found themselves on top of Nayeon’s. Nayeon felt the gesture and sank herself deeper towards Jeongyeon.

 

“That doesn’t matter. What’s supposed to matter is that we are living our lives freely and not slaves of that pessimistic thought.”

 

“We are free to love, Jeongyeon. And even though the end is inevitable, at least you won’t have to live with the regret of not being able to love.”

 

Regrets.

 

‘Right. I wanted to live the remainder of my lifetime without regrets. So I guess I’ll take this chance for myself?’

 

Jeongyeon wasn’t able to answer, not even when the sun has already fully revealed itself. She found herself stuck in an endless cycle of denying and debating between the logical and emotional side of her.

 

Nayeon was kind enough not to force an answer on Jeongyeon. She knew that it would only scare the woman, and that would eliminate her chance of getting to Jeongyeon’s heart. She also had the feeling that Jeongyeon was either traumatized or just afraid of the inevitable. Still, she didn’t let those thoughts cloud her mind from melting herself in the hug she is now giving to Jeongyeon.

 

The cold morning breeze warms up by the passing minutes, and both of them knew that they had to eat breakfast now, which usually happens in Jeongyeon’s house for the fact that Nayeon cooks burnt toast. Jeongyeon wouldn’t want her palate to suffer.

 

Walking back to their houses is now spent hand in hand, always with Nayeon clinging on to Jeongyeon’s arm and leaning on to her. The same routine happens every weekend, to the point that Jeongyeon’s family is already well-acquainted with Nayeon and have even spent numerous dinners and lunches together.

 

Jeongyeon’s sisters have gained a particular liking towards Nayeon, considering her enthusiasm and overall aura that she emanates. And it didn’t take them too long to realize that Nayeon has feelings for their youngest sister, though they didn’t delve too much on it, not after consulting Jeongyeon about it.

 

“Jeongyeon-ah! Come here.” Her eldest sister, Seungyeon, calls her from the porch facing the sea.

 

“Coming!”

 

Jeongyeon arrives in the porch with an apron filled with stains from all the baking she did before being summoned by her sister.

 

“Come have a seat.” Seoyeon, second sister, pats on the empty space between her and Seungyeon.

 

“I still have to finish baking.”

 

“Don’t worry, appa will finish it for you.” Seungyeon answers, causing Jeongyeon to look back inside the house and spots her father already in an apron, ready to finish what Jeongyeon starte. He shows two thumbs up in affirmation and also a warm smile for his youngest daughter.

 

“Alright.” Jeongyeon takes the seat and hurriedly wiped her stained hands on the apron.

 

“How are you feeling lately?” Seungyeon asks, gazing over her youngest sister’s eyes.

 

“Hmmm… I’m feeling mighty fine.” She replies with a cheshire smile, prompting her sisters to chuckle lightly. Seungyeon ruffles Jeongyeon’s overgrown brown locks, causing her to pout.

 

“Is it because of this certain neighbor?” Seungyeon teases, though her voice hinted an investigative tone.

 

Jeongyeon seemed fazed by the thought of this certain someone no matter how she tried to compose herself in front of her sisters. Still, they both saw the underlying happiness beneath the glimmer in Jeongyeon’s eyes.

 

“I’m happy because you guys are here.” Jeongyeon grins widely and spreads her arms out wide to engulf her sisters in an embrace, to which they willingly leaned on.

 

“You’re dodging the question, but okay.” Seungyeon replies, snuggling her head on the crook of her sister’s neck.

 

“No. We need to know.” Unlike Seungyeon, Seoyeon was one to delve deeper into whatever the youngest is up to. “What’s between you and Nayeon?”

 

Seungyeon reaches a hand over to Seoyeon’s waist and pokes the sensitive spot in there, causing Seoyeon to jerk straight up in her seat.

 

“Yah! I just want to know what our dear Jeongie is up to.” She complains and glares at the oldest.

 

“We don’t have to force her if she doesn’t want to talk about it.” Seungyeon counters, but Jeongyeon stops her sisters from starting another argument with a firm clear of .

 

“I do want to talk about it.” She states, immediately spiking interest from the previously uninterested Seungyeon.

 

“Look who’s digging deep now?” Seoyeon taunts their eldest, but the latter dismissed it with wide grin.

 

Seungyeon turns to Jeongyeon and encourages her to speak out. With a bit of self-thought and quick scan through her mind, Jeongyeon finds the courage to talk about what, or more specifically, ‘who’s’ making her happy lately.

 

Taking a deep breath, she lets her thoughts lead her on.

 

“I think I like her.” She blushes on her own words, smiling cheekily and a bit too joyous than she actually intended to.

 

“I knew it!” Seungyeon exclaims and reaches over to slap Seoyeon’s bare lap. “You owe me ten thousand won.”

 

“Yah! I was willing to pay up before!” Seoyeon rubs on the part her older sister slapped, whining like a baby. Jeongyeon could only furrow her brows in disbelief.

 

“Wah… You really had to put a bet even on that one?” She shakes her head, giving her older sisters equal stares, to which the older women just grinned.

 

“Jokes aside, we just want you to be happy, Jeong.” Seungyeon pats on her back and swirls little circles with her index finger. “And from what I can see, Nayeon really makes you happy. You smile too much when she’s around.”

 

“Yeah, right. So are you two together?” Seoyeon seconds, eager to know what’s going on in between Jeongyeon and her neighbor.

 

“Nope.” Jeongyeon bites her lips tight and stares into the vast ocean in front of them. Her sisters are wise enough to know the reason behind Jeongyeon’s answer.

 

“I guess you haven’t told her about…” Seungyeon hesitates to ramble more about what she really doesn’t want to talk about. Thankfully, Jeongyeon understands her and answers her with a slow nod.

 

“You’re too selfless, Jeong.” Seoyeon sighs and sinks back on her place. “You’re always doing everyone a favor, even at the expense of your own happiness.”

 

“Why don’t you pursue her? From what I observe, I could tell she likes you too.”

 

“Yeah, to the point that she actually kissed me.” Jeongyeon literally spilled those details quite unknowingly. When she does realize what she had just said upon seeing her sisters’ reactions, she prepares herself for the endless amount of teasing.

 

“Wow…”

 

Contrary to what Jeongyeon expected, both her sisters were left speechless with their jaws hanging open until she closes them herself for her sisters.

 

“I wish I could be as straightforward as her.” Seungyeon says, eyes unwavering from her stare on Jeongyeon.

 

“I guess she was able to do that because you’re too obvious, Jeong.” Seoyeon’s remark makes Jeongyeon relive the moment during the fated kiss, sending a tug in her heart and a wide smile on her face.

 

Seungyeon firmly grips on Jeongyeon’s shoulders and looks at her straight in the eyes.

 

“You know what, you should tell her that you like her. You said you wanted to live without regrets right?” She asks and Jeongyeon nods. “We all know that our time here on Earth is limited, that includes you, me, Seoyeon, our parents, even random strangers. So just take the leap and do what makes you happy as if it’s your last.” Seungyeon eyes Seoyeon and gestures her to continue with more words of encouragement.

 

“Right! You never got to experience relationships in the past since you were always stuck with us. Not that I’m complaining, but you really have to experience that before you… leave. It’s time that you finally become selfish for yourself and get what you really want.”

 

“I don’t really know, unnie.” Jeongyeon answers, her eyes downcast.

 

“Jeong.” Seoyeon calls out in a soft voice, patting her younger sister’s shoulder with her left hand. “Don’t be afraid. If you tell Nayeon about your condition, she may understand. And if her feelings are genuine, she won’t care if you’re going up there the next day. I know she wants you as much as you want her, Jeong. So stop being a coward.”

 

Seoyeon’s words manage to knock some sense into Jeongyeon’s pessimistic mind. Though, the reason she hesitated in reciprocating Nayeon’s feelings is she didn’t want Nayeon to be sad by the time she disappears. But after hearing her sisters’ words, it gives her courage to overcome this fear of eventually disappearing and leaving Nayeon alone.

 

That’s why when Nayeon came home from work a couple of hours after sundown, Jeongyeon knocked on her door courageously with the ultimate goal of finally reciprocating Nayeon’s feelings after almost a month of deep and thorough thought.

 

As soon as Nayeon opens the door, Jeongyeon engulfs her in what probably seems to be the tightest and warmest hug Nayeon has ever received in her entire life.

 

“Jeong? Is everything alright?” Nayeon asks as she hugs back, trying to decipher the huge smile on Jeongyeon’s face she managed to get a glance of when she opened the door.

 

“Let’s date, Nayeon-ah.” She says rather excitedly, further tightening the hug so that Nayeon could feel the excitement rushing in her veins. And with Nayeon being so weak to Jeongyeon’s charms, she smiles wholeheartedly, closing her eyes in the process as she melts into the warmth of Jeongyeon’s embrace.

 

“I would love that, Jeongie.”

 

 

 

When the weekend came, Nayeon was so eager to spend time with Jeongyeon that she woke Jeongyeon up earlier than the usual. Their routine of catching up with the sunrise still continues, only this time they’re closer than ever before, even to the point that Jeongyeon carries Nayeon for a few seconds before losing her breath. Yeah, she’s not able to carry Nayeon like how the older woman wants to, but Nayeon understands because she cares for Jeongyeon.

 

In the same spot like the first time, Nayeon sits in between Jeongyeon’s legs and her back against Jeongyeon’s chest, with the latter hugging her from behind and resting her chin on Nayeon’s shoulder.

 

It’s the first time Jeongyeon has ever been this intimate with someone that is not her family, and it further proves her sisters right. Jeongyeon really needed to see the world without the restraints of her family, but not that her family really restrained her from doing so. It’s just that with Jeongyeon’s family, she only feels the platonic kind of love, and not that romantic type that she sees on dramas. Thankfully, she now has Nayeon to fill her up with those desires.

 

The sun rises over Jeongyeon and Nayeon, bathing their skins in the fervent hues the dawning sun emits. No words were needed to be spoken. No on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter