Invisible Strings

folklore (jenlisa ft. camren)

Green was the color of the grass where I used to read at Centennial Park

I used to think I would meet somebody there

Teal was the color of your shirt when you were 16 at the yogurt shop

You used to work at to make a little money

Time

Curious time

Gave me no compasses

Gave me no signs

Were there clues I didn't see?

And isn't it just so pretty to think

All along there was some

Invisible string

Tying you to me?

Bad was the blood of the song in the cab on your first trip to LA

You ate at my favorite spot for dinner

Bold was the waitress on our three-year trip getting lunch down by the Lakes

She said I looked like an American singer

Time

Mystical time

Cutting me open, then healing me fine

Were there clues I didn't see?

And isn't it just so pretty to think

All along there was some

Invisible string

Tying you to me?

 

August 2020

Jennie's POV

It's the first day of senior year and I know most people are really looking forward to this moment. But not me, it was just another normal day and I really wish it would fast forward to graduation. I have been stuck in this town ever since I was a child and I just want to leave it behind and start a new journey already. I feel like I have reached my peak potential and I have achieved everything that I needed to achieve in this town. Don't get me wrong, I have travelled outside of this town and this country already. In fact, I spent summer break 2 years ago in New York City when my mom was assigned to a hospital there. But it's just different when you are moving to a new place with no intention of coming back home. The feeling of leaving everything behind. How I longed for that. A place where no one knew me or of me. Patience Jennie Kim. I reminded myself. I brought myself back into reality. I sighed and mentally prepared myself.

"Hey wifey! A pleasant morning to you."

My best friend Rosé or as I call her Chaeng, short for her real name Chaeyoung, surprised me. She put her arm to my shoulder as she came up to me from behind.

"I told you to stop calling me that, Chaeng. We sound like kids or like an old married couple."

"Hahaha! Don't you like that? At least people won't be flirting with you left and right, especially now that you broke up with Kai. I'll be happy to take his place as your girlfriend so that people won't bother you. Although, strictly platonic."

"No thanks. I'd rather be in a fake relationship with Jisoo than you since I can't have the school thinking their playgirl is now taken."

I said to Chaeng. Rosé and I have been friends for so long. It was actually me, Rosé and Kai. We were childhood friends. Jisoo and Irene joined us in middle school while Kai made friends with his football teammates. Kai and I, were the school's IT couple before we broke up while Rosé was the school's playgirl. It's not that she sleeps with everyone, it's just that she's very flirty and loved by everyone. That's why she's the student council president.

"Hey. How many times do I have to defend myself that I'm not a playgirl? You hurt my feelings wifey!"

"Why is she pouting so early in the morning Jendeukie?"

Jisoo asked me as she arrived with Irene. They rode together since they live near each other.

"She's just in denial that she's a playgirl."

"Well you totally are Rosé. Just accept it so that we can get to class. We don't want to be late for Mr. Peterson's first class. You guys all knew about the rumors right?" Irene said.

"You guys are such losers. I can't believe your ganging up on me right now. I'm still student council president, in case you forgot. How dare you disresp—-" Rosé was cut off by Jisoo.

"Whatever. Save it for later. Now let's go inside and hurry up!" Jisoo yelled as she went inside first.

Mr. Peterson is a very scary man, especially on the first day of class during senior year. He wants to prove to the seniors that just because they reached the last year of high school they just can't do whatever the hell they want. And when better to show your dedication than the first day of school. If you will be late on that day, you will face his wrath for the entire year, so that means you get the worst topic for reports and you would be doing it alone instead of groups. To make long story short, just don't be late for this class on this specific day. That's your only job for your first day.

"I'll just go to the restroom first see you inside!" I told my friends when we reached outside the classroom. I was quite impressed seeing that it was already full. Guess this year no one's gonna be the target of his wrath.

"Okay be quick! You still have 10 minutes!" Chaeng told me and they went inside while I hurriedly went to the bathroom.

Lisa's POV

"Damn Sis! You like it fast too, huh?" I told Lau since she was not kidding riding that motorcycle.

"Well keep up Little sis! You're just too slow. Hahahah." She laughed at me.

"Let's see about that. Give me time to memorize all the roads in Miami, then we'll see who's faster." I smirked at her. She's looking down on my driving skills and I can't have that.

"Alright, I'll give you time to adjust. In the meanwhile, you should go. First period starts at 8:00 AM and I warned you, Lalisa, please don't be late. I can't have Mr. Peterson think us sisters really have the same manners. Now go little sis, redeem our family name. You have 10 minutes to go to class." Lau told me. What was the deal with this Mr. Peterson anyway? Why is my bad big sis so scared of this man? But since Lau warned me, I just did what she told me and hurriedly went inside the school.

Great. I don't even know where first period is located. I went here with Lau before to complete my transfer and she showed me everything about this school since she also went to high school here but she never showed me the classrooms. I guess I just have to ask someone. But before I did, I went to a vending machine and got some coffee since I forgot to have one at home. It's a good thing I saw one immediately and it's beside the comfort room. Gross. Why the hell is a vending machine near the bathroom but I don't really have the luxury to be picky since time was ticking. So I got one immediately and hurriedly find somebody who can show me my first period classroom. As I turned around, I didn't noticed the tiny human being who just came out of the bathroom.

"Oh ! I am so sorry! I'm really sorry!" I said to the tiny human since I don't want to make an enemy on my first day here. My coffee stained her shirt and she just happened to wear a white shirt. I am doomed she's not gonna forgive me.  

"No need to keep saying sorry it's just a shirt." She looked up to me and calmly held my hand which was trying to wipe the stain of her shirt. Holy . Her eyes. I can't believe she has very beautiful cat-like eyes. I'm captivated.

"You're very beautiful." I unknowingly told her. I was dumbstruck and I don't know what happened that my mouth just couldn't keep shut up and felt the need to compliment her. Who is this girl?

"Another flirt, I see. Looks like Chaeng would have some company." She told me with an amused face. Oh so she has a sense of humor, since she just compared me to another person who's flirty so I think it's okay to make a very interesting first impression. So, I decided that I'm gonna make her remember our first meeting. I don't know why, I just had a feeling right then, she's gonna be an important person in my life.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I haven't introduced myself. I'm Lisa and, yes, you are very correct I am a flirt. I'm new but if you prefer I can also be called yours." I flirted with her, cause why not? She was beautiful and I wanted to make a strong first impression so she can't forget me.

"Hi yours. I'm not interested." She told told me with a cold gaze, opposite to her friendly personality a moment ago. Oh , Lisa. Wrong move. She was a serious-type.

"Oh I'm sorry. I'm really not like this. I'm sorry to have offended you by my statement. I'm sorry." I told her since I felt bad. I don't know what happened to my confidence but now I just want to get the hell out of her face since I felt like I was digging my own grave. I'm usually a very confident person, I don't know what's happening but a part of me was afraid of her. This is such a terrible first impression.

"You have apologized to me more than any other person I have met my entire life. And I was joking, by the way, I'm Jennie. I'll just go to my locker and get a jacket to cover up this stain since class is about to start." She smiled at me. Her cheeks, oh my god. When she smiled at me I cannot believe her cheeks. And, thank God! I really thought, I blew it. So she's beautiful, she can take a joke and has a very cool personality. All this, I learned in less than 5 minutes. I woke up today thinking I would be ignored here in school. That nobody would talk to me, but instead I'm now talking to a very beautiful girl. What the heck Lisa, first period haven't even started yet and you're already crushing on someone!

"Since it's my fault, I'll accompany you. Are you a senior too?" I asked her while I walked beside her to where her locker is.

"Yes I'm a senior too. I have Mr. Peterson for first period, how about you?" She told me.

" I have Mr. Peterson too! I was about to ask where his classroom is, I can't believe you have him too. Lucky!" I excitedly told her.

"Well having Mr. Peterson as a teacher isn't actually considered lucky. All the alumni's are scared of him." She told me.

"Yeah. Actually my sister warned me about him. She said, I can be late to any subjects and any day except his class on the first day." I told her. We have already arrived at her locker and she put a sweater on. I wonder where my locker is, if I am as lucky as I feel like today maybe it's somewhere near this beautiful girl.

"Yes we can't be late. Which reminds me, what time is —" She looked ate her watched. She became silent so I looked at my watch too. Let's just say I am not as lucky as what I felt. It was already 8:05 AM and class starts at 8:00 AM. We are five minutes late. I cannot believe I did the one thing Lau told me not to do. What the heck Lisa, you had one job!

"We are late. Let's run. Follow me and let us hope he's still not there!" Jennie told me while we are running. Keeping up with her was an easy task since she had short legs. She really was tiny.

We arrived outside the classroom and we could hear Mr. Peterson's voice. Crap. What do we do? Maybe we can sneak in or something? Maybe I can pull the fire alarm so classes will stop and we can go blend with the other students. My mind was coming up with different plans just to avoid this teacher's wrath. But then, Jennie spoke up.

"Mentally prepare yourself, we have no choice but to go inside. We don't want to make this worse than it already is. We will face his wrath, at least we have each other Lisa. We will get through this subject together for the rest of the year." Jennie assured me. She's right, I'm still lucky cause she's with me. A beautiful girl will be with me. For some reason, I actually felt happy. At least our meeting was not a one time thing. This incident actually assured me that I have a chance of interacting with her for the whole year.

"Let's go." Jennie smiled at me. And at that moment, I knew I was attracted to this girl. That smile was the first time I saw her gummy smile.

"Irresponsible. Miss Kim, just because you are part of the student council that doesn't mean you get to abuse your position and be late for your first day of senior year. And you, Miss Manoban, it is your duty to familiarize yourself with the classrooms beforehand you should have arrived earlier. I will not accept any reason, even if you're new cause that is your responsibility. You are already seniors and in one year you will graduate, or dare I say, hopefully graduate. Being a senior does not guarantee you will get your diploma already so everyone, don't lose focus." Mr. Peterson scolded us in front of the entire class. This was really humiliating and, not to mention, a big first impression to my peers.

"Sit down. Both of you!" Mr. Peterson told us.

"As I was saying, the class will be divided into groups of four and you will chose a topic. Specifically, about American history and you must really dig deeper to find a topic. I don't want anything of wikipedia. I want something unique and something which is not very famous. It could be about anything, it doesn't have to be proven true but I need you to present evidences. You will interview people and make a documentary about it. You, also, need to pass a paper about it. The deadline of this project is before winter break. After winter break, you will present it to the class. We will watch the documentary film and each group will have an in depth report and explain they're learnings about the topic. No group should have the same topic. Understand? You can choose your own group. Except for Miss Kim and Miss Manoban. You two will work on this project together and just the two of you, consider it my gift since both of you have the audacity to be late on my class." Mr. Peterson smirked at us.

"Class dismissed. Before our next meeting, I want everyone to submit the list of names for their groupings." After which, Mr. Peterson left. So much for a first day, not to mention it's still the first period. Senior year will really be so stressful, I can predict it.

"Guess we really are stuck with each other Lis." Jennie approached me.

"At least I have a very attractive partner. No doubt you will inspire me." I told her. I really am a flirty person, especially if I'm comfortable. And even though we just met, I felt like me and Jennie have known each other for quite a while.

"And you are number 7." A girl with heart shaped lips approached us, together with a silver haired girl and a very beautiful goddess-like-beauty girl. And I immediately thought to myself are all the girls here so damn beautiful.

"Number 7? What do you mean?" I asked the girl with the heart shaped lips.

"You are the 7th person to flirt with Jennie this morning." She told me. The 7th huh? Well lucky 7 right? I thought to myself.

"Hi I'm Rosé, short for Roseanne but you can also call me by my Korean name, Chaeyoung. And I'm number 1. Meaning, I was the first one to flirt with Jennie today." Rosé told me.

"So you're my competition?" I fired back at her.

"Hahahahah. No need to compete with me, I'm her best friend. So basically, I already won since I'm gonna be an important person in her life forever. Not sure about number 2 to 6, though. They are, surely, your competition." She informed me.

"Well then if you are her best friend, I need to be on your good graces. So it's my pleasure to meet you, Mademoiselle Rosé. You are as lovely as your name is. I am Lisa Manoban, as all of you probably know since Mr. Peterson just introduced me to the class." I bow to her and reached for her hand and kissed it like how royalties used to do in history. Rosé just laughed at my actions.

"Oh I like her wifey! She might just have my vote as the perfect person for you." Rosé told Jennie while she was laughing at me. I quickly let go of her hand and faced the other girl. She was very quite the entire conversation. So I took the initiative and introduced myself to her.

"I'm Lisa. May I know your name, Goddess?" I asked her. All of Jennie's friend are very cool so I assumed she would be too. But she was not smiling even for a little bit.

"I'm Irene and please don't flirt with me, it's annoying." She told me. Oh a serious type, my bad.

"Oh I'm sorry. I won't do that again. Please to meet you, Irene." I apologized and told her.

After I apologized she finally smiled at me and said, "Nice to meet you too. And welcome to Miami, Lisa."

Lastly, I faced the girl with heart shaped lips and as I was about to ask what her name is—

"I'm Jisoo and I'm okay!" She beat me to it.

Okay? I'm not sure what it means but I, also, introduced myself to her like that.

"I'm Lisa and I'm okay too!" I told her. I can also play this crackhead game with her. She laughs at me.

"Oh we are going to be great friends, I can feel it." Jisoo told me.

"Since your new and I'm the student council president it's my job to make you feel welcome, why don't you hangout with us at lunch since you don't know anybody here I assume." Rosé told me.

"Is it okay with you guys?" I asked the three of them and they all nodded. And it was then I noticed that Jennie was not here anymore, where did my cat-eyed partner go? It was then that, I saw her just outside the door talking to a tall and broad guy, which I assume is part of the football team since he was wearing a varsity jacket.

"Who is Jen talking to?" I asked Rosé.

"Oh that's Kai. He's the captain of the football team. But since your interested in Jennie, probably the best way to define Kai is he's Jennie's ex boyfriend." Rosé smirked at me.

"Well there's a reason why he is an ex right?" I smirked back at her.

"Oh confident, I see. Let me get this straight, you just transferred here and it's still your first day. But you are already into Jen?" Jisoo asked me. 

"It's not that I am confident. It's just that the moment I saw her eyes, I knew there was something about her. There's just something pulling me towards her, maybe it's just an infatuation, let's see. All I know is, I'm sure I was meant to find her." I told the three of them as I was smiling looking at Jennie.

I know it may seem crazy, even I still can't believe it. I just got here and everything is so new, the last thing I wanted was to be attracted to someone. But meeting Jennie, I don't know there was just something about her that makes me so curious. As I was curiously looking at her, Jennie caught me staring at her and smiled at me. She turned back to Kai and said something then went back inside the classroom.

"I see you're done meeting each other." She told us.

"Yes and Lisa will be sitting with us for lunch. Rosé invited her." Irene told her.

"Okay. So Lisa, we'll see you at lunch? Next class is starting soon and we need to go. We'll talk about our project soon. Guys, I'll go ahead. I have Trigonometry with Kai, we will just go together." Jennie told me. I looked at my schedule and damn why do I have Economics next. We just waved at her as she got her things and went back outside to walk with Kai.

"What class do you have Lisa?" Jisoo asked me.

"I have Economics. How about you guys?" I asked them. Hopefully, one of them have the same class as me.

"You're with Irene. Me and Jisoo have P.E. next. See you at lunch." Rose told me then left with Jisoo. Now it's just Irene and I.

"Let's go Lisa." Irene told me. As we were walking together, I wanted to ask her why Jennie and Kai are still talking. But, I didn't since I feel like I was still new here and maybe, she'll think I'm prying too much about her friend. But can you blame me? From what I know, exes can't be friends.

Me and Irene walked together and just made small talk. Classes went by fast and now I'm on my way to the cafeteria to meet up with them. I still can't believe how lucky I am. Maybe this is the universe's way of making life bearable to me since I did move half way across the world for senior year. I immediately spot them and went to their table. It was only then that I noticed, many people were staring at me. Maybe it's because I'm new.

The day went by so fast. And just like that first day ended. I was really thankful that Rosé, Jisoo, Irene and Jennie welcomed me to their group.

It was already Thursday, and time went by so fast. Maybe because, I was so busy adjusting to the new environment that I did not noticed it. Me and Rosé, really clicked since we have the same type of personality. Same with me and Jisoo, she always teases me about how I described my feelings about Jennie the first day we met cause I was so poetic. Irene and I, make small talks but i think she's still warming up to me but we are friendly with each other. And Jennie, how can she always take my breath away? I swear she goes slow motion every time she tries to approach me. I flirt with her every time. But we are friends, she talks to me and checks up on how well I was adjusting from time to time. But still, I always see her talk to Kai after every first period. Irene and I, were walking to our class together when I saw Jennie and Kai walking the other way to go to their class together too. My curiosity beat me to it, and I decided to finally ask Irene on what their status is.

"You don't need to answer or anything. You can actually just ignore me. But please don't ignore me. Cause you know curiosity kill—" I was rambling when Irene stopped me.

"What do you want to know Lisa?" Irene said to me.

"Why is Jennie still friends with her ex? I mean people don't usually keep in touch with their exes." I truthfully asked her what was bothering me. Was it too personal?

"You really are already crushing on Jen? Wow" Irene said to me.

"Hey. It's not that, I just really felt a connection to her. That's why I'm curious about her. Plus, I just want to be a friend to all of you guys so, of course, I want to know. But, if you can't tell me it's okay too." I replied to her. It was true. I was really grateful to all of them for welcoming me very openly.

"Actually it's not like it's private since anything Jennie and Kai related was very public. Well, Jennie and Kai is such a long story. We won't make it class if I told you about it. But to summarize it, they have been in each other's life ever since childhood. So even though, they are exes they are just so used to each other's presence that they can't just cut all communications. But for now, they really are just friends. Jen broke up with Kai last year, out of nowhere. I don't know what is Kai's intentions now but maybe he's still trying to win back Jennie?" Irene told me. Although I felt like there is still more to the story at least, now I have an overview. So they are childhood friends, tough to compete with that.

"You want my advice?" Irene asked me. Advice on what? But still, I urged her to continue.

"Don't pursue Jennie, if you are really not sure about how strong your feelings are to her. It's still the first week of senior high. You don't know, maybe what you're feeling is just infatuation. You told us that you were sure you were meant to know her. Maybe that's it. You were just meant to know her. Be her friend or something. Meant to know her doesn't really mean, you need to pursue her romantically Lis. To add, I know Jen. She just told us last week that she can't wait for senior year to finish so that she can leave everything in this town behind. So I'm pretty sure she doesn't want a relationship with anyone. Maybe you'll meet someone else here that will make you feel more than what you felt when you first met her. And you can pursue them in an easier way. Jennie is complicated. Not to mention, I'm not even sure if she swings your way." Irene explained to me. Maybe she is right. Jennie was the first person I interacted with, maybe that's why. I'll take her advice, I'll try to keep my feeling for Jennie at a friendly way.

"Thanks Irene. I might take up your advice besides you are right. I may be new but it's still our senior year, I need to make it count." I smiled at her. And just like that we reached our next class.

It was lunch and we met each other at the cafeteria.

"Hey yow wassup!" I greeted them.

"There's our new motorcycle ridding school hottie!", said Rosé.

"What? How did you guys know I ride a motorcycle?" I asked them.

"Apparently there is a rumor going around that there is a new hottie in school with body like a supermodel, face like Angelina Jolie that also has the aura of James Dean with her motorcycle." Jisoo teased me.

"Really? And you think that's me?" I told them.

"Well you are the only new student that fits that description. Although, I think it may have been exaggerated like a lot." Jennie teased me.

"Please, as if you don't find me attractive." I back. I can play this game too, Jennie Kim.

"Well I do find you attractive. I never lied about that." She just told me while eating her fries. Her comment left me speechless, did she just openly admitted that she found me attractive?

"Oh wifey, so does that mean you "fell in love at first sight" with our new friend over here?" Rosé asked me, clearly teasing me, since they remember our conversation last Monday about me being interested in Jennie.

"Please Chaeng I have eyes, of course, Lisa is attractive. Does not mean I "fell in love" with her. That's so childish, is that even true? There is no such thing as love at first sight." She told us. Well I agree with her, I don't believe in love at first sight but attraction at first sight, now that is a different story.

"But still you're attracted to her so does that mean you are not as straight as you seem to be Jendeukie?" Jisoo asked. Thank God for Jisoo! She finally asked the million dollar question.

"First of all, Lisa is attractive but that does not mean I am attracted to her. I just find her beautiful. And second of all, I don't judge people based on their gender. I believe love is love. So I am open. It's just that I only felt connection with guys before. But I am not closing my doors." Jennie casually said, as if she did not just break my heart then revived it.

So she is not attracted to me but she is also open to liking and being in a relationship with girls. Should I be happy or should I be sad that she clearly did not feel the same way I felt. I glanced at Irene and she looked at me worriedly. And I remembered our conversation before about not being too hang up on my attraction to Jennie.

"Well Jennie finds me attractive, how about you Rosé? Do you find me attractive enough to buy me dinner sometime?" I joked at Rosé.

"Sorry Lis, but I only buy food for myself. And also, if you want to ask me out you can get in line." She winks at me.

"Great a playgirl and another playgirl. I swear it's like there is two Chaeyoungs, you're like twins." Jisoo told us.

Jennie's POV

Did Lisa really asked Chaeng out? I thought she was into me? The truth is I made a little slip up that I found Lisa attractive and I just can't have my friends tease me all the time. So yes I lied. Of course, I'm attracted to her. I basically, forgot the time and got late during first period because of her. Even Kai asked me, because he was worried, why I was late since everyone knew Mr. Peterson's tradition and we talked about it all the time before. They were talking and I was sneaking glances at Lisa, God really is perfect because He was able to create a perfect human being in the form of Lisa.

"Are you going to Seulgi's party tomorrow?" Jisoo asked me. Seulgi's party was a tradition in our batch. Every school year she throws a party during the opening weekend to officially start our year. And it was always so crazy but I think this year is gonna be the craziest since it is the last one. We always attended it since Seulgi always forces us, mostly so that Irene would come. Seulgi has been crushing on Irene for a long time.

"I think Seulgi would bear a grudge if we don't come. So yeah, I'm going." I replied to Jisoo.

"What party?" Lisa asked us.

"Oh this girl Seulgi throws the craziest opening of the school year party and it's always so fun. You should come! All the seniors are invited. And our friend, Irene, would be the guest of honor." Rosé told Lisa while teasing Irene.

"Ha-ha-ha very funny Rosé. But you should definitely go Lis. We would all be going because even though Seulgi is annoying and can't take hint, she throws the best parties." Irene said to Lisa.

"Okay. I think I can go, my sister would probably kick me out once she knows there's a party and I'm not going. She always encourages me to mingle, she was afraid I'd be a loner." Lisa said. Oh yeah she told me she has a sister. I wonder what her sister looked like? Is she also as hot as Lisa? What are you even thinking Jennie, I mentally said to myself. Before Lisa, you've never found any woman attractive. Of course some are beautiful but I'm not attracted to them. But now, you are even thinking if Lisa's sister is hot.

"Then that's settled so all of us are going then. Now I'm excited, it's gonna be Lisa's first party with us!" Rose says with her high pitched voice.

After that, we continued eating our lunch. We also talked about how our classes went and made fun of some of our teachers. After which, we proceeded to walk to our next classes. I had class with Lisa again so we walked to it together. We were getting to know each other and I asked her how it feels to move half way around the world.

"It was hard, to be honest, I don't know anyone here my age but I guess it could be worse. At least, I had my sister. She's actually a local, so she promised to tour me and give me the insider scoop on the best places to go here." She smiled at me.

"It must be nice to have an older sister who can protect you and guide you." I told her.

"She's my step sister actually. Her dad married my mom but, yeah, I'm so thankful to her. She's very cool although she's always busy since she's a doctor." Oh. I did not expect that. I wanted to ask more but I figured maybe it's too personal since we, literally, just met. So I divert the conversation to a new topic.

"Have you been to any other states here in America?" I asked her.

"I briefly visited LA because I had a connecting flight there before arriving in Miami. But, my family took a trip before to New York City. I think it was 2 years ago? It was probably summer since I remember it was hot, the grass was so green and I finished reading the Percy Jackson series in Centennial Park. I used to go to the park and read there, hoping someone would talk to me. But nobody ever did, probably because I used to dress so awkwardly and had braces and glasses plus my skin was dark then!" Lisa laughed describing herself. But one thing that caught my interest when she said it was 2 summers ago.

"Wait. You were in New York that summer? I was also in New York that time! I even got a summer job at a yoghurt shop there. I went there to accompany my mom but she was so busy, so I got myself a job to make myself useful." I told her. What a coincidence. I think to myself.

"Really? Well I think it's a good thing you did not meet me then, cause you would be able to see how awful I used to dress!" She answered me.

"Oh please, I was wearing a teal colored shirt as a uniform everyday for 2 months. If you're clothes were weird at least it wasn't boring. And look at me, I love fashion. It's my joy to dress up but that job prohibited me to do that for 2 months cause, apparently, it was mandatory to wear a freaking uniform!" I told her. It was really a crime for me. I felt so devastated back then. I felt so wronged. All of my friends know, probably, also the world... Jennie Kim is synonymous to fashion.

I was hyping myself when Lisa just laughed at me so much. Why is her laugh so cute? And she's such a happy person. I know we just met but I would not be able to forgive the person who would make this happy person, unhappy. I felt protective of her.

We arrived at the classroom and entered it.

After some boring classes, the day is finally over! We went out to the parking lot and someone came over to Lisa. Wow she was beautiful! She looked like an ancient greek goddess.

"Hey Lil sis. I know I wasn't able to make it last Monday but I'm free now. Let's go! I promised to show you around town, right? But, looks like you're in good hands. I see you've made some friends." The green-eyed said to Lisa while looking at us. Oh so this is her step sister.

"Lau, you're here. Wow, was not expecting you! Guys meet my big sister, Lauren Jauregui, the baddest doctor in town." Lisa proudly introduced her sister.

"Oh don't flatter me Manoban! But yeah, I'm Lauren. Nice to meet you. Hope you'd take care of my little sister." Lauren told us.

"Hi Lauren, I'm Rosé. Don't worry we will take good care of Lisa. You can count on me, I'm the responsible one of the group." Rosé said. What? She was the responsible one? Did I just hear it right? More like the most troublesome one, she just thinks she's the responsible one because she's student council president. Although, on school activities she really is a different person but to us? I can just sigh and roll my eyes.

"I'm Irene. Nice to meet you." Irene said ignoring what Rosé just said.

"Pleasure to meet a doctor like you, I hope I can be one too someday. I'm Jisoo." Chichu, also, introduced herself.

I was about to introduce myself when Lisa spoke for me.

"Big sis, she's Jennie. My future girlfriend. Most probably, also, my future wife." Lisa just boldly declare to her sister while wrapping her arms around me. Oh my God! Can she not embarrassed me, in front of her sister, like that. I quickly removed her arm and punched her shoulders. Lisa has always been flirty with me since we met. But, I cannot believe she had the guts to introduced me to her sister like that.

"I'm sorry for that but, yeah, I'm Jennie." I smiled to her sister.

"Oh she's beautiful Lil sis! Better treat her properly or I'll steal her from you. And no need to say sorry, I should probably be the one asking for an apology for how confident and bold my sister can be. If you can do me a favor and just bear with her." Lauren told me with her sweet smile and staring at me with her green eyes. I was about to get lost in them when—

"Okay. I think that's enough! Lauren let's go! I thought you were gonna show me around town. See you guys tomorrow." Lisa grabbed her sisters hand and went to their motorbikes.

"I need to go too. Mila needs my help at the pastry shop." I told my friends and went to my car.

I quickly went to Mila's shop and helped her. After which, we went home.

Lisa's POV

First week went by so fast. I think I was able to adjust quickly since there was no time to feel anything in between. Being a senior means being overloaded with school work. Me and Jennie still haven't found a topic for Mr. Peterson's class. Since, I'm actually Thai and know little about American history I was planning to ask Lauren. But, she has been so busy I barely see her at home. I'm planning to ask her this weekend, if me and Jennie still haven't found a topic by then. But for now, it was Friday already. The party was tonight and since I don't know where it is located, Rosé will pick me up. I was now changing and deciding what to wear. After contemplating for minutes, I decided to go for a high-waisted Levi's black jeans, black crop top, white shoes and finished it off with my Celine jacket. Now I'm just waiting for Rosé to arrive to pick me up. I decided to open Instagram on my phone. I noticed Jennie posted something new on her Instagram story, it was a throwback video of what she was doing 4 years ago and she was on a cab in LA with Rosé and Kai jamming to "Bad Blood" by Taylor Swift. They looked like they were having so much fun. She and Kai, really had quite a history. Was she still into him? I did not have time to think since Rosé texted me she was outside already.

"I hope you weren't waiting for quite that long." Rosé said to me as soon as I entered her car.

"No, you were just in time." I told her.

"Are you ready for your first party here? Don't worry you have us, I promised you won't feel left out but I can't promise that you're not gonna get drunk though."

"Oh please, I maybe new here but I'm not an alcohol trash. I'm pretty strong. How about the other girls?" I asked. So that I'll know who I should watch out for.

"I can handle alcohol quite well too. Although I cry, when I get very drunk so please just ignore it. Jennie get's really seductive so you should watch out for her. Jisoo and Irene just passed out." Rosé said. Oh a seductive Jennie? Looks like that is a sight to see.

"But, we are not planning to get super drunk tonight so you don't need to worry. Kai would also be there." Rosé said.

Kai, huh? I was really curious why their friendship withstood even after the break up. So I asked Rosé.

"Can I ask a personal question?" I faced her. She just nodded.

"What happened between Kai and Jennie? I know all of you said they were exes but I still see them or the three of you super close and I just got really curious." I asked her.

"Are you sure, you are not asking that since you like Jennie?" She teased me. My face got red.

"Hey! It's not because of that!" Even though it was completely obvious it was because of that.

"I'm just messing with you. Relax, I know you are into Jen. I just don't know to what extent. But if you're asking if she's single, yes she is. Her and Kai, are really just friends. Although, it took quite a while to mend things, last year was very messy. But now, they have both moved on from the pain and understood each other." She explained to me.

"Since you asked me a personal question, can I ask you something too?" Rose told me. Now I'm starting to get nervous.

"Yes, sure. What is it?"

"Do you really like Jennie? You keep on flirting with her and I know you told us before that you felt a connection with her. I just want to know, if what are you planning to do with it. Cause at the end of the day, Jennie is my best friend and I need to protect her, just like I have always done." I sighed. I knew she's gonna ask me about that.

"Honestly, I have a pretty big crush on her. But I'm not sure whether to seriously act on this feeling or just keep it hidden. You're best friend is pretty hard to read. She never calls me out when I'm flirting with her. She just smiles at me when she caught me staring at her. I want to try asking her out but what if she says no and we become very awkward to each other." I honestly confessed to Rosé.

"Well that's your choice to make. But, you'll never know if you never try Lis. I, too, don't know what Jen thinks. But so far, out of all of the people I have seen interact with her. You are the first one she immediately felt comfortable with. Jennie is not usually like that. I'm not saying this to get your hopes up but if you don't let her know what you feel and, not act. She'll just assume that you're just flirty with everyone and, before you know it, you'll get stuck on the friend zone forever." Rosé sadly told me.

She was right. If I'm not just gonna say anything, time will fly and before I know it senior high would be over without her knowing anything. So I decided, I'll tell her tonight. I just can't cut this string without doing anything.

When we arrived at the party, it was already going pretty hard. Most of the people were already quite drunk but we managed to spot Jennie and Jisoo playing beer pong. They were playing against two guys. They just won when we approach them, and I managed to hear what one of those guys told Jennie.

"It's too bad we lost, if not I would have scored a date with my dream girl. If you ever want to change your mind, you can tell me anytime baby." That guy told Jen, then left with his friend.

"Jennie Kim. I swear you are everybody's dream girl, wifey!" Rosé told Jennie and hugged her. She looked at me. And there she goes again. Everything just fades away every time I see her eyes. It's like everyone just disappears and it's only her and I.

"Earth to Lisa." Rosé told me as she waves her hand in front of me.

"What? I said do you want to grab a beer with me but never mind, I'll just go with Jisoo. You and Jennie stay here. We'll be right back, okay?" Rose caught me staring at her best friend. She smirked and winked at me before she left with Jisoo.

"So it looks like my dream girl is also everybody's dream girl, huh?" I flirted with her. She just laugh at me and shrugs me off. That's what she always does when I flirt with her and sometimes she replies savagely at me.

"Hey, do you think maybe I can talk to you later?" I told her.

"Sure, I can take you home." Jennie said to me.

"Sorry babe, but I'm not one night stand material. Pretty sure, I'm gonna be the love of your life." I told her.

"I take back, what I said. And no, I'll not talk to you later."

I laughed, "I'm just kidding. Okay you can drive me home and thank you. Now, let's just enjoy this party first since this is my first time!" I told her since I saw Rosé and Jisoo heading back.

We were dancing and laughing so much. So this is what a party feels like, I can feel the alcohol already in my system. I realized, Irene was not here. I haven't seen her all night.

"Did Irene just stood us up?" I asked them.

"She's actually with Seulgi there." Jisoo pointed at them. I then see Irene and she was in the pool with this red-haired girl which I assumed was Seulgi. Oh so that's why she's not here.

"I thought she doesn't like Seulgi?" I asked them.

"She doesn't like her like that but they do interact with each other. Seulgi's courting Irene and just won't take no for an answer. I gotta admire her perseverance." Jisoo said.

After about 30 minutes, Irene came to the table and changed her clothes to dry ones. All of us were a bit drunk because Rosé kept on pushing us to drink different types of alcohol.

"Jisoo is already about to pass out and Jennie is getting a bit drunk and she's my ride! How about we stop drinking already Chaeng?" I try to convinced her. Luckily, it worked since she herself was also about to cry.

Rosé went to Kai to talk to him and I was also about to mingle with other people when Jennie just grabbed my hand.

"You want to talk outside, now? I need fresh air possibly some coffee to get the alcohol out of my system and there's a 24 hours coffee shop near here." She told me.

I looked at the state of our friends and Jisoo has already passed out and I was not sure if leaving was a good idea.

"That's a good idea Jen. Go with her Lis, I'll watch Jisoo. The sooner Jennie's sober, the sooner we can go home." Irene told me.

After that, I nodded at Jennie. She grabbed my hand and lead me outside.

When we were outside, I noticed she was wearing a black dress. It was really cold when we stepped out so I removed my jacket and put it into her shoulders.

"You don't have too." She was about to return it to me.

"No, please. I want to. So which way, milady?" I told her.

"Are you really this flirty with everyone? Or just me?" She stopped and looked at me, seriously.

"Just follow me." She said to me immediately, not giving me the chance to answer her.

I figured maybe flirting with a tipsy Jennie was a bad move but then I remembered Rosé told me that drunk Jennie was seductive. Maybe not all the time.

"I saw your throwback post in Instagram. You were in LA. It made me miss In n Out burgers. It was my favorite place for dinner when I went there." I made small talk since the atmosphere was starting to get thick and awkward.

"We were actually on the way to In n Out when we took that video in the cab. I'm not a big fan of burgers but they made me changed my mind" She spoke. We were walking on the side of the road when i noticed she was having a hard time balancing herself since she wore heels. So I grabbed her hand, and intertwined it with mine.

"I hope this is okay, since I don't want you to fall. You can, also, lean on my shoulders. I'll walk slower so that you won't get dizzy." I said to her.

"Thanks Lis." She looked at me and smiled. Her smile, is really my favorite.

"No problem, princess." I told her. We were holding hands and she was leaning herself to me. If only she could hear my heartbeat. It was not just butterflies, I felt like there was a zoo inside my stomach. I was so high on what I felt right then that I don't know why anybody does drugs. That was the moment, I realized. I really like her. And I needed to tell her, cause I don't want to take advantage of our friendship.

"Do you believe in strings Jen? Like red strings of fate?" I asked her.

"Hmm. What is that?" She answered me.

"According to the Chinese legend, two people who are destined to be together are attached by an invisible red string bound from a pinky finger to another pinky finger. Two people who are connected in this way are bound together by Fate itself. Sooner or later, they are destined to meet, no matter how far apart they live or how much their life circumstances differ. And, when it happens - that encounter is certain to profoundly affect both of them. The strings can sometimes stretch and become tangled, which could postpone the fateful meeting. But - those ties will never be broken." I explained to her.

"So have you met one, who you think is your invisible string?" She asked me. This was it. I was starting to get nervous but I know this was the perfect moment. Don't be a Lisa Manoban.

"I don't believe in it, before. But now I do." I turned to face her.

"I believed in it when I first saw you look up after I drop my coffee in your shirt. I believed in it when I found out that we could have met in New York years ago but we didn't because it was not the perfect time. I believed in it when I saw your video in the cab and you were listening to "Bad Blood" because believe it or not, that day I attended a Taylor Swift concert. I believed in it when you ate at my favorite spot for dinner in LA. But most of all, I believed it because since the moment I first met you, you have invaded my thoughts like no other. I feel like we were destined to meet each other. And I know it's still to early, and maybe you feel like all of this are just coincidences but let me prove it to you otherwise. Give me a chance, Jen. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, will you please let me have the honor of taking you out a date? Just one date. I promise if you don't feel the same way about me after, nothing will change in our friendship." I told her. I told all of that to her while looking straight in her eyes. My heart was beating so fast and I don't care if I sounded like a fool but I wanted to let her feel that I was determined. And that I was genuine. Cause this was Jennie Kim, she was the type of girl that comes once in a lifetime. She was my invisible string.

She was about to answer me when a huge truck went by so fast in the road that I wasn't able to hear a single thing she said. We were on the side of the road. I cursed myself on why I was so bad at reading lips. After the truck went by, and we were left alone at the side of the road with the quiet of the night.

"What did you say? I'm so sorry. I was not able to hear anything because of the truck." Damn truck. It made this agony of waiting for her answer much longer.

She smiled at me. And all the animals in my stomach just bursted out!

"Yes, I would love to go on a date with you Lisa." 

 

 

THIS CHAPTER WAS INSPIRED BY THE SONG, INVISIBLE STRING BY TAYLOR SWIFT.

Thank you for reading!