Cruel Summer

Cruel Summer

Cloudless sky, hills and the river bank dominates Minjoo's field of view while her back is facing the backdoor of the orphanage. A tenor's voice ring inside the kitchen, searching for her but she is not in the mood to entertain anyone at the moment. 
“I've been looking for you everywhere.” Jin exclaimed almost out of breath. “The circus in town, let's watch the show together with the other guys.”
Minjoo rolled out of the grass and forced herself up. “Okay, but if Chaewon is not going.... I'll pass.”
“Chaewon is going too. She's with us and is probably looking for you.” Jin claimed but Minjoo knows Chaewon very well. She doesn't need to look for her because she will be here standing with them. 
“Minjoo-ya!” Chaewon arrived just in time clutching a bag of biscuits. Minjoo without hesitation leave Jin alone and went inside the orphanage. Of course Minjoo is aware that Jin lied the moment those words left his mouth. How is possible for Chaewon be looking for her, when there's nothing in this world powerful enough to separate them. 
Minjoo dreaded when people tried to trick her. “Something is not right with the boys.” Chaewon expressed her thoughts, back facing Minjoo. 
“I know. They will probably bring me somewhere that is not the circus.” She knows. 
“Are you psychic?” Chaewon joked and she received a weird look from Minjoo. “Nope, I don't trust a person who lies to get what they want.”
May 1944
“The circus is accepting temporary staffs,” an advertisement written in bold letters scribbled in the far corner of the daily newspaper, “Minjoo, the clock is ticking. We need to plan our next move.” Chaewon slides the newspaper to Minjoo who is busy eating her breakfast. 
Its best they left before the same fate struck like the girls they proceeded who never got the chance to leave the orphanage in one piece. The girls mysteriously perished in their sleep. 
“Maybe we should consider joining the circus since they don't ask for anything hard in particular.” Minjoo momentarily stops what she's doing to focus more of her energy into weighing the scenario presented to her by Chaewon.
The day before Chaewon's departure she brought Minjoo to their favorite spot, a hanging garden situated in the far corner of the orphanage away from the preying eyes of the sisters. “Minjoo-ya, promise me that you'll stay vigilant and be wary about your surroundings. We don't know when the sisters will strike.”
“I promise.” Minjoo said confused as to why Chaewon is acting weird. 
“I wish I can just take you with me tomorrow.” Chaewon brushed her hair out of frustration. 
“I promise I will drop by to visit you. When it's your turn to leave this place, you know where to find me.”
For the first time in a long time, she felt alone walking in the hallway despite every inch of it filled with young girls living in their own world. She occupied the lone chair in the corner next to the array of books facing the chess board. A memory of the time when they would play chess together every afternoon started playing in her head. “Today, it's just me and the chess board. What a shame.”
July 1944
“Minjoo here's a letter for you.” Minjoo is delighted to receive a letter. It's unheard of especially when they don't have a family waiting for them outside will except for Minjoo.
“Thank you.”
She tear the envelope with such precision, “It's a letter from Chaewon.”
The letter contains as follows: Chaewon got the job at the circus and so far things is going smooth as she plans. There is one section of the letter catching Minjoo's attention, “a pretty girl name Sakura asked me out on a date and I agreed. It was the best decision I ever did in my life.” Minjoo reads the lines with so much bitterness that a cup of sugar is not enough to bring back the lost sweetness. 
She's happy for her except for the little part where she gets herself a girlfriend that is not her.
-----
Chaewon tilt her head wondering how Minjoo ends up in this part of the town. “I believe that we are not allowed to wander without supervisor’s right?” Chaewon waggle her eyebrows. 
“Who are you talking to Chaewon unnie?” Someone with an unfamiliar voice started talking to Chaewon. 
“Yujin-ah, come here.” Chaewon is excited to introduce her coolest, cutest and youngest friend Yujin to her soulmate Kim Minjoo. 
“Minjoo, this is my friend Yujin. She's from the circus too. Yujin, this is my soulmate Minjoo” The shy girl failed to maintain eye contact with Minjoo, hands trembling when she offers to shake Minjoo's hands. “Nice --to me-et you.... Minjoo?” There is uncertainty in Yujin’s voice. 
Minjoo loves it Chaewon claims to be her soulmate. Lovely, just keep it coming. “It’s nice to meet you too.” Minjoo briefly shakes their hands. 
“While we are at it, you wanna go inside and take a little tour before the social workers come looking for you?” Chaewon offers, making Minjoo a little flustered.
“Sure, sure. I am sick of looking at the same face every day, I might as well use this opportunity to get acquainted.” Minjoo removed her hands from Yujin's tight grip. 
“You haven't answered my last question.” Chaewon reminds her, hating the feeling of being left out of the conversation. 
“Errands, then, I decided to drop by to visit you.” There's a hint of a little sarcasm in Minjoo's final words. 
The tour is yet to begin when another girl with a mid-length hair approaching the booth. “Chaewon, Yujin. Let's go. We don't want to get caught up here outside.”
That means one thing - air drills and enemy ground forces raiding and capturing people they branded as odd.  The reason is vague as long the captured failed to reach the standard imposed by the leaders. 
Minjoo is dumbfounded like how is she going to get home at this rate? 
Yujin did not hesitate to pull Minjoo with her completely snapping her out of trance and they started running towards the entrance of the circus. Minjoo minutes into running she’s starting to slowdown dragging Yujin with her. Eventually, she feels the weight pressing on her urging her scream at the poor girl behind. 
“Come on run!!!”
Minjoo tried her best to keep up. The surrounding air started to smell of gun powder and the ground involuntarily shakes as the marching troop from different side is approaching, ready to attack at any given moment. The entrance to the underground bunker is visible, just 2 meters ahead. 
“Just hold on, we are almost there.” For a stranger Yujin is too invested to keep Minjoo alive. 
Yujin's grip to Minjoo's hand tightens, pulling her closer making the smaller girl run in the same pace as her. 
“I can do it.”
“Minjoo you can do it!!” Chaewon said out loud as she stands in the mouth of the entrance looking ahead as she watched the sky eclipses from orange into ash gray.
Yujin tightens the seal after making sure everyone is safe. “Kkura unnie is everyone inside already?”
Sakura nods her head trying to steady her breathing. “That was close.” a sigh of relief escaped . They can live through the noises outside as long as they are covered by a fortified wall as the fight continues outide. 
Meanwhile Minjoo is on the floor burning from too much running. “Are you okay?”
Chaewon put her knees on the cold floor helping the poor girl dry her sweat. “I am surprisingly okay now.” 
Sakura whispered to Yujin. “Who is that girl?” she pokes Yujin when she's not responding. 
“Chaewon called her, “her soulmate” when she introduced Minjoo to me.” Yujin explained loud enough for Sakura to hear but faint enough for the other girls. 
----
“What are you doing here again?” This time it's Sakura she meets. Her lips pressed together, eyes sour looking to Minjoo. On the other side, Minjoo sense this girl is not fond of her. “I'm looking for my friend Chaewon.” Minjoo said bathed in confidence refusing to lose to Sakura. She already got Chaewon,she’s not going to let her get more.
Minjoo experienced the worst air drill yesterday; it brought back the memories she was trying to suppress hard for a long time. She shackled her whole body with blankets in order to avoid getting caught shaking and probably getting thrown in outside or worst the state sanitarium like what people did to her mother. 
Sakura lead Minjoo into a thin path leading to the familiar path into a place she is not familiar. The smell of asphalt acts as catalyst to another walk down on memory lane. “Chaewon is busy cleaning the house with Yena and Yujin.” Minjoo is busy getting lost in the past that she didn’t notice Sakura is talking to her.
“Kim Chaewon here is your soulmate. She's looking for you.” Sakura said in a very sarcastic tone. 
“Someone is jealous.” Yena chimed in the conversation. 
Sakura is not amused, “Let me explain Sakura. It's true that she is my soulmate, not gonna lie about it. But, Minjoo is like a little sister to me.” Chaewon explained that meeting Minjoo when she’s shrouded in darkness, alone and lost is God’d gift. It’s a miracle she didn’t ask but needed.
Minjoo just stood there dumbfounded once again (she already expected it) and maybe a little hurt (more, she's just not accustomed to caring about her own feelings.)
She took a step back to where she originally came from. Until the steps she took blindly leads to place her body remembers. Minjoo feels another presence nearby, only getting stronger when she felt someone occupies the other side of bench by a person she didn't recognize or she thought she didn't. 
“I'm sorry for acting like a stalker. I'm worried that something bad might happen to you so I decided to follow you around.” It’s the person she least expected. 
The housing district is not your friendly neighborhood type of place especially to pretty girls like Minjoo. “Thanks. But you're a girl too?”
Yujin lift her head up high, “At least I can run and knows one or two about self-defense.” Yujin refusing to accept defeat, almost getting sidetracked from the true reason she was here in the first place. “It's not the reason why I was here in the first place.” Yujin is unable to stay still, fingers fidgeting. “I hope you don't mind me asking...”
“Fire away Yujin.” Minjoo chuckled. It's not bad to share anything personal to a stranger right? At least, this girl doesn't have the room to judge Minjoo because she only knows fragments of a whole story. 
“Why did you run away after Chaewon said you're just a little sister to her? Looking down, and maybe a little hurt” Yujin talks faster, eyes is anywhere but Minjoo. She’s not sure about she is talking about, fearing that she will offend the other girl.
“You're adorable.” Minjoo spit out of nowhere, eyes never leaving Yujin's face. Yujin weakened in Minjoo's gaze so she gets shy again. “It's pretty much obvious at this point. Plus the cat is already out of the bag so, what's the point of trying to hide it right?” 
Yujin nods after she regained herself. That was the most intense staring contest she ever participated. “In conclusion, you’re budding a different kind of love to Unnie.”
“Yes.” Minjoo said head hang low. “I guess I was too late. I'm confident that no one will ever take interest on Chaewon. I guess I was wrong the whole time.” 
Yujin changed the topic from Chaewon for the reason she sense the other girl is getting overwhelmed with her emotions. “I thought you are going back to the orphanage.”
“The orphanage is gone. Last night, the jerries blow up the whole place.” Minjoo smiles a bitter one. “I don't know where to go and as much as I hate that place, there is nothing left for me to go from here forward.”
Yujin followed where Minjoo's eyes focused. It was an abandoned house, judging from how it’s poorly maintained. “I used to live inside that small village.” Minjoo pointed to the sign. 
“You want to check the house Minjoo?” Yujin tried her luck. “It's your house so maybe you can stay here now?” she leaned back, looking to Minjoo for confirmation. 
“Okay.” Minjoo lazily stand, dusting her army pants. 
“I know it's pointless.” The officer initially stopped them from entering the village until a familiar face showed up. “Just let them in. It’s been a long time Kim Minjoo.”  
“Hello, Mr. Choi.” Minjoo bows to show her respect to the older man.
“Stay here. I'll go get something to break the lock.” Minjoo watched Yujin disappear into the back of the house. After a few minutes of fruitless waiting, Yujin appears holding a metal bar and an old rusty hammer. The house here is more decent than the ones where Yujin and her family rented.
“Yujin-yang, be careful with that hammer.” Yujin just smile at her to assure her that everything is going to be alright. 
Meanwhile, Sakura and Chaewon is still in an argument. “Guys, stop fighting for a second. Where is Yujin?” Yena stand in between Chaewon and Sakura, effectively getting two girl’s attention. “I was gone for a second and Yujin has magically disappeared?” 
“Yujin is old enough to navigate on her own.” Chaewon refused to back down. 
“It's weird that you two is fighting because Chaewon is calling her best friend her soul mate?” Yena is no longer amused with how immature this two fella. “We better find Yujin before sun down. Let's move. You can be as loud as the bomb later after we find Yujin.”
Couple fighting over petty things is not Yena's t cuot of tea. Why fight if you can talk it out later? Or maybe, she's just too young to understand their relationship dynamics. Speaking of Yujin, Sakura spotted the young girl walking out of the district on the way to the market square. “Where is she going with that girl.” she mumbled to herself before she called Yena, “Yena!! Look, Yujin is going somewhere together with that girl.”
----
Yujin managed to break the lock using the rusty hammer. “That was fun.” Yujin step aside to give way to Minjoo. “Shall we?”
The interior remains untouched for a decade. The dining table still holds the kitchenware they left behind after the last dinner they shared as family collecting dust for the last 10 years. Minjoo looks around spotting the picture frame hanging in the wall. The picture underwent oxidation yet it's still recognizable to the now 17 years old Kim Minjoo. 
“Feels like home to me.” Minjoo utters out of nowhere with tears threatening to flow out of her eyes. Yujin checks her pocket watch, “We have to move faster so we can get rid of the useless stuff. I'll help you.” 
“Thank you Yujinie.” Minjoo is starting to get fond of the intoxicating sensation Yujin made her feel. With her presence, it’s not as empty like it used to be. 
They managed to clean the connected kitchen and drawing room before noon rolls to afternoon. “This is better than the dust dancing around the room.”
Minjoo went upstairs to her old bedroom, like always Yujin follows, “I will clean this one later.”
Minjoo scope her old ukulele picking out under the old, single bed. Minjoo is overwhelmed in euphoria, she tried to play the instrument but the strings broke off and she pricked her thumb. “Sh*t, you’re an idiot Kim MInjoo.”
Yujin covered Minjoo's thumb using her white handkerchief, “Let's go outside. We need to immediately clean your wound.”
“My debt to you is filing, so please stop being nice to me Yujin.” Minjoo exclaimed. Getting indebted to someone is a taxing job she doesn’t want to take part into. 
“It's alright, we need to finish our task before sun down.” Yujin ignored her. 
After cleaning Minjoo's wound into the faucet outside, they went to the market square. “I don't have anything with me right now Yujin?”
“I will lend you money. You can pay me back later when you finally get a job.” Yujin said with full of authority. How can Minjoo say no to this Yujin?
-----
“So what did you do with Minjoo? You're a mess?” Chaewon opened the moment Yujin joined them. 
Yujin just shared the trivial information to Chaewon, leaving out the very crucial ones in respect to Minjoo's privacy. 
“What's her plan?” Chaewon is asking herself. 
The urge to answer Chaewon's questions is here but when Minjoo’s face looking hurt is vivid she chose to stay silent, fearing that she might reveal something important to Minjoo to everyone. It's the least she can do for the other girl. 
Aug 1944
“It's been a while since Minjoo came to visit. Where is she?” Chaewon's face’s frowning almost throwing the guitar she’s holding.
“She's upset because you never tried to look for her. Chae, you're just waiting for the leaves to turn orange.” Sakura made an x mark using her index finger. 
“Meanwhile Yujin is sneaking in and out of the house.” Yena noticed but she never brought up the topic to Yujin. 
“The weather is nice. I wanna go swimming.” Yena declared after a long depressing silence between them. 
“Chaewon we need to sort this one out. I don't us to end because of my jealousy.” shoulders drooping, Sakura dragged her feet to keep up with Chaewon. “I'm sorry it took us awhile to touch this topic.”
Yena walks faster to keep a short distance away to give them privacy. It's a lucky day for them since not a single soul is nearby. 
After the short conversation of asking for forgiveness the two couple is back to their usual self. “Please tone down the sugar level folks. Have mercy on the single lady here.”
“We are not doing anything weird you dumb dumb.” Chaewon and Sakura are lying underneath the tree branches in between the hard roots. They are not doing anything in particular, just resting and taking in all the energy nature expelled.
 “Maybe it's time for you to get in a relationship.” Sakura jokes around. 
Yena jerked up, “I don't need to get in a relationship as long as I have you guys.”
“What if we ended up not surviving the war?” Chaewon and Sakura just look at each other. There is a possibility it could happen, right? Imposing the idea; one of them might not make it until the end
“This has to stop we are not going anywhere nice with this topic.” Yena put down the book she's reading, taking off glasses off, nearby she spotted a familiar figure on the other side of the lake. 
“Guys I think we are not alone here?” 
------
“Mom, I’m going out.” Yujin is a little brighter than the usual. 
“Just be careful and be home in time for dinner.”
Yujin nods her head sprinting out of the house. Today is Sunday, she plans to buy her favorite food tteokbokki in the market and then she will treat herself to anything she likes. She checked the movie theatre yesterday if the list of movie schedule is updated. To her delight a new movie is out starring her favorite actress. 
Yujin is patiently standing in the aisle of the pastry shop waiting for the bagel she ordered. 

“Yujin?”

Yujin traced the origin of the voice. 

“Minjoo? What are you doing here?” Yujin's gaze fixed on Minjoo who's wearing a rather beautiful smile today. 
“I'm working here. I think you're order is here. I'll see you around.” Minjoo politely went back to the kitchen after she filled in the empty stalls with the fresh baked goods. 
“Keep smiling Minjoo. I’ll see you around.” 
Yujin take notes of the location for the future when she needed it. She takes a huge bite of the bread she buy and it immediately melts on . It's different from the usual salty taste of the bread she bought in a different shop.
“This is good.”
“Why are you still here? I thought you're going somewhere?” Yujin looks behind her. 
“Are you busy today? Do you want to go out with me?”  Here is that smile again.
The two ends up spending the day going on various places. “Life must go on right?” Minjoo started out of nowhere. 
“Yeah,” Yujin is clutching hard on Minjoo preparing for the ride to descend. “Yujinie, unnie is here. Open your eyes.” 
Minjoo squeezed the hand she’s holding. Yujin adhere to Minjoo words, trusting her in the process. “The view is magnificent”. Yujin look at the person next to her, she meets Minjoo’s admiring eyes. “The view is indeed magnificent.” 
“So where are we heading next?” Minjoo asked, biting on the cotton candy she bought for herself. “Want some?” She offers Yujin to take a bite. Yujin did and she also offers the tteokbokki, “Don’t worry it’s not spicy.”
“Can we please stay here for a moment? Honestly I don't fare well in noisy place.” Yujin gets herself comfortable. 
“Sure. I hate noisy places too.” Minjoo confessed their mutual hatred on noisy places.
“Yujin. I wanted to show you something.” 
Minjoo showed her to a place she didn't know existed. “Yujinie, this is my safe haven.” The lake is surrounded by varying size of trees and the only noise you can hear is the sound of the lake flowing and the leaves falling to the ground. “Unnie is here so don’t be scared. I know this place like the back of my hand.”
It sure feels nice when a person is doing their best to make sure you are safe. It's been long time since the last time Yujin felt that way. She would have ended in the same place like Minjoo if the circus didn't pick her up. 
Yujin ends up watching Minjoo catch fish because she totally at it. “I’m sorry unnie. You too just like me.” 
“Just help me you ungrateful swine.” Yujin burst out laughing almost busting her lungs. “Will you please hold the bucket?” Yujin unknowingly smile as Minjoo struggled to catch one in the beginning. When Minjoo managed to catch one and another one follows, she looks at Yujin. “Your teasing is a food that keeps me going.”
The two is busy giggling, counting how many fish Minjoo caught. “It’s fiesta!” Yujin celebrates when the count reach 20.  
Minjoo stops what she's doing to look at Chaewon. “How did you find me?” 
The sound of betrayal is dominant to Chaewon's voice as she continues to talk about the months she struggled with the fact her bestfriend just stop talking to her. “Do you even know what I've been through over the last few months?”
Chaewon neglects the other girl’s struggles. Why she put distance from her one and only friend. “This is the problem with you Chaewon. You never saw past anything other than yourself.” Minjoo burst out. 
“Coming from you?” Chaewon's brows perked up just looking at Minjoo. She is unbelievable. “You're selfish Minjoo. Let's go guys.” Yena pulled Yujin with her leaving Minjoo alone once again. 
“I'm used to the loneliness of always getting left behind. You never know just how much I was restraining myself from talking to you because.....” Minjoo struggles to find the set of words that perfectly mirrors her feelings. “I value our friendship more than anything else. I realized that it’s better for us to stay friends than risk the one that we had. 
Yujin emerged out of the woods, “What are you doing here? Your friends will curse me once again if they find out you came back.”
“You need someone to be with you right now. But I will gladly give you space to breathe just let me watch you over just in case it gets too much to handle.”
Yujin’s affection for the other girl keeps growing the more she entertained the seeds she planted inside. As the months passed and the cold, harsh winter slowly approaching, Yujin's thoughts fly to the one girl she can never abandon. 
December, 1944
Yujin, Yena, Sakura, and Chaewon stayed bundled together in near the fire place to keep themselves warm under the hailing blizzard outside. “Yujin-ah, stop wearing that old clothe.” Her mom drags her up to the dresser. “Yujin here’s a story…” 
“Yujin don’t listen to her.” Sakura said out of nowhere. “Yule cat watches the kids and the ones who didn’t receive new clothes abducted. The cat will tear the flesh of the poor children, leaving her carcass after she’s done feasting on the poor child’s body.” Mrs. Ahn continues ignoring Sakura in the corner. 
Yujin wonders how is Minjoo? Did she receive new clothes too? Is her pantry filled with food supplies? How about them? Oh, they run out of food supplies since last week and today a close comrade die because of starvation. “Yujin-ah, come here.” Chaewon hoarse voice echoes as she slowly approached Yujin to give her a piece of molded bread. What choice do they even have? 
“Thanks, how about you?” Chaewon disregard the offer since Yujin needs it more than her. Yujin is stubborn as she chose to divide the one slice of bread to equal pieces sharing it to everyone. 
The next day, Yujin came to visit Minjoo's house just in case to check up on her, with her, is satchel of new sweater made out of wool.   
Yujin knocked on the door a few times, with every knock her anxiety grows. What if Minjoo perished without even knowing? She is losing hope as the seconds passed with no one answering her desperate knocks. 
The door opens with a healthy looking Minjoo, panting covered in thick clothing, slightly peaking her head out of the door. Her face twitch into an expression Yujin failed to understand. “Get inside. What are you doing outside?” 
Minjoo managed to transform the house. She might be alone but the energy the house emits is far from that. It feels cozy, alive, inviting to Yujin who seeks for warm she can never find in her own house.  
“Yujinie.” Minjoo called out to her with full of affection. 
Minjoo covered her in thick layer of blankets to warm her body. Yujin just watch as Minjoo do her job, her delicate hands occasionally brushing her skin. It's the kind of warm she missed;  
“I'll be right back.” Minjoo proceeds to the kitchen then to the small backdoor to go outside to get something. Minjoo went back, shaking and Yujin's immediate action is to get to her side and cover her with blanket. “Yujin I'm okay. Just stay in the sofa. Keep yourself warm.”
“Unnie, I'm okay please stopped worrying about me.” Yujin secured the extra blanket around Minjoo's shoulder and she does the same thing to herself before helping Minjoo carry the coal near the fireplace. “How can I stop worrying when you keep doing this? You should have stayed in your house. It’s not safe to stay outside.” Minjoo keeps nagging. 
Minjoo checked outside to see if storm passed yet it's getting worse than last night. “Yujin-ah, what if your parents and friends started looking for you?”
“They won't. I informed them beforehand.” Yujin lied. A little white lie is safe right? 
Meanwhile Chaewon is struggling to keep still outside. What is she doing outside in the first place? She could have walk straight to Minjoo's doorstep, what is stopping her? She would have been dead by now if the little girl living next door did not see her lying covered in snow. 
“Miss, what are you doing outside?” it's the first thing she heard when she open her eyes. 
Chaewon's pinky is missing due to frostbite. It hurts a lot but it's her fault for going outside unprepared. She is worried that her action might backfire and it sure did. 
“What time is it?” Chaewon asked. 
“It's 6:45 PM.” Chaewon relaxed for a bit, “December 28.” the little girl continue and Chaewon is unable to process the information. 
“You are asleep for a whole week.” The girl with a cross insignia wrapped around her left shoulder said. 
Chaewon started to feel a little uneasy after seeing someone in a camouflage uniform. “Don't be scared. You see this.” She pointed in her insignia, “I'm a medic and my job is to help anyone who needs medical care.” 
Chaewon started to relax and she lied back into the bed. “I will you back to where you came from, only after you fully recovered.”
----
Sakura, Yena, and Yujin waits helplessly in the corner for Chaewon to return home. Sakura out of the three is the most devastated with the disappearance of the love of her life. She can only cry her heart out, waiting for the door to open with Chaewon stepping inside but it didn't happen. It's been 5 days and every single one of the circus folks is close to giving up believing that Chaewon is dead. 
They decided to stop searching believing that a windigo got Chaewon as she wanders outside of the house alone, under the blizzard. 
It's very wrong because Chaewon just magically show up with someone they recognized as one of their own army. 
“Officer thanks to you our Chaewon is back.” Mr. Shon bowed down to the female soldier. 
“It's alright. It's my duty to serve the people.” The medic answered then she returned the gesture. “Please don't wander around outside Chaewon-nim.”
“Thank you Hitomi-san. I'll be very careful next time.” Chaewon enthusiastically waved her baby hands to the departing soldier. 
Sakura fainted after seeing Chaewon in flesh. 
When she wake up after a few hours this is the first thing she said to Chaewon while embracing her, “Pabo!!!!! I thought you're dead. What are you even doing outside?” 
Chaewon just chose to keep quiet and let Sakura vent her frustration because she’s the root of the problem. When Sakura started to get hysterical, Chaewon secured the girl in her arms mouthing, “It's alright. I'm here now. I promise, I'll never cause you anymore heartbreak and headache. I'm so sorry.”
For the whole month of December it became a habit to Yujin to sneak out and go to Minjoo's house and following her around like a lost puppy. Meanwhile, Minjoo is getting used to Yujin's presence. One day, Minjoo is comfortably lying in the sofa, patiently waiting for her visitor to arrive. For hours, she lied aimlessly wondering why. 
The door to her house violently opens expelling a distraught looking Yujin. Minjoo immediately run to her aid, closing the door before the cold air get inside her house. “What happened to you?” 
Yujin did not answer her verbally she only looks in her eyes and it’s enough for Minjoo to understand. Yujin cried in older girl’s arms for hours and all Minjoo did is to let the girl cry it all out until she is ready to tell her the problem. 
“Today, everyone is busy in their own assigned tasks in the circus.” Yujin started. 
It's obvious because Yujin is still covered in thick make up. “It's supposed to be our opening day to celebrate the arrival of spring and praying the end of this long harsh winter.” 
Just the thought of it brings tears back to her eyes, Minjoo once again stayed with her. They are close to the fire and the coal is dying so Minjoo has to let the girl go for a second. Yujin held on to Minjoo's robe like a kid craving for more attention. 
“Don't go.” It broke Minjoo's heart seeing Yujin shattered beyond repair. 
It's the same image of the kid who once lives in this house. “We will freeze to death. Just hold on to me okay. I am not going anywhere.”
“Anywhere where I can't see you?” Yujin is seeking for assurance that she will never left behind again. 
“Yes.”
So they went outside together to gather enough coal for the whole night. “Tell me what happens next.”
“We manage to gather a huge crowd in to check our booth. In the middle of the circus where a huge stage stands, a crowd of people listening to the band played the songs exclusive in pub.” 
“Everyone is eccentric, just dancing around to the beat of the guitar. For the first time, in a long time there is nothing to worry about.....” Yujin chokes in her last word. 
Minjoo is brewing lemon tea with her ears focused on Yujin's next words. “Until the enemy forces shows up and started firing to anyone in their line of sight.”
“For days, I was hiding in the manhole just a few blocks from the circus. I will never forget how life disappears from the eyes of everyone I know and love.” 
A loud banging outside shakes the two and Minjoo immediately helps Yujin hide in the cupboard. Yujin refused to let the other girl go but Minjoo used enough force to shove her inside the cupboard and locked it. “Shhhh. I promise I will come back.” 
Minjoo is uncertain if she can fulfill her promise to Yujin. But she has no choice but to face the person outside the door. She has to in order to make sure that Yujin is safe. 
Minjoo look at the slightly rusted knob before she turn it around and open the door. To her surprise it's Chaewon, Yena, and Sakura. Chaewon is carrying the bleeding Sakura and Yena is limping. She immediately helps the three to get inside. She almost forgot about Yujin. 
She looks at the three girls in the floor, painting it with blood. She immediately knows how devastated, terrified and lost they are under the situation. They are teens who don’t have a slightest idea how to maneuver life, now they are put in a situation where there is no one they can turn to aside from each other.
“I'll head out and seek help. Minjoo please take us in until we are ready to stand on our own.” Chaewon is about to kneel when Minjoo stopped her. “There is no need. I'll help you. Come on.” 
Out of the three, Chaewon is the only one with less physical injury. They head outside and Minjoo is only following where Chaewon is running. It was closer than what she initially expected. “Please be here. Please be here.” Chaewon chanted after she keeps banging hard on the door. 
------
Hitomi's in time to save the two injured people. Chaewon helps Hitomi to make the task is easier. Meanwhile, Minjoo realized she left Yujin in the cupboard with small livable space upstairs. To her relief Yujin is safe and crying hard when she open the door. 
Yujin immediately jumps at her, “I thought you are dead.”
“You will be surprised if you see them.” 
Yujin instead of crying remains calm when she saw her friends in the drawing room with the same person who saved Chaewon. “Will Sakura be alright?” Yena asked. 
“Yes, if we managed to take her to the hospital. I don't have the correct apparatus to save her.” Sakura's wounds are fatal compared to the three. Hitomi managed to aid less fatal wounds but she will die if not treated immediately. 
“I know a safe way to the hospital. I can help?” Yujin dash a ray of light to their dying hope. 
Chaewon begged to go with the trio but Hitomi and Minjoo immediately stop her. Minjoo said, “if you want to save Sakura please stop being stubborn and let us take her to the hospital.” 
Yujin is busy packing the essentials and everyone is moving in fast rate to save time but Chaewon is getting in the way. 
“She's right. If you want her to live then stop getting in their way.” Yena uttered resting her back in the headboard of Minjoo's bed. 
----
They used the sewer system to get to the hospital faster. The trio heard all the actions happening on top. It takes a lot of courage to ignore the gunshot hitting the road believing it's coming to break your skull. Minjoo carried Sakura on her back while Hitomi is watching their back armed with her service riffle. Yujin is in front, guiding them with the help of the flashlight.  
It was a long three hour journey with Sakura groaning in pain and Minjoo is getting exhausted. Hitomi made Minjoo drink an energy pill to aid her exhaustion. “I-I'm sorry for being an extra..........baggage.” Sakura whispered to Minjoo's ear. 
“No, you are not.” Minjoo whispered back fearing that the people on top will catch them. 
“Just hang in there. We will make sure that you will make it out alive.” 
It was an emotionally and mentally ride to keep Sakura alive but it's all worth it. Setting aside their old rivalry: the main task in the moment is to keep each one of them safe and breathing. 
February, 1945
“Min, it's going to be your birthday soon.” Chaewon started as the five of them is lies in the floor. 
Minjoo just shrugged. “What are we doing to celebrate her debut?” Sakura inquired. 
Minjoo wanted to say something but choose to remain silent just listening to Yena, Chaewon, and Sakura deliberate about how they are going to prepare for Minjoo's birthday. 
Minjoo is face down when suddenly Yujin lied on her back playing with her hair. “it's Unnie's special day soon.” 
“I think so.” Minjoo's short response did not stop the innocent inquiry of the young Yujin. 
“It's your special day. Why it seems to be like you are distant about it?” Yujin asked despite not seeing Minjoo's face. 
“I don't want to talk about it Jin.” Minjoo just close her eyes and let Yujin do anything her imagination takes her. Yujin rolled next to Minjoo and pulled her closer to give her a sweet hug. “You don't have to tell me the reasons behind. I understand.” 
“You two, seems to be getting closer each day?” Yena break the ice forming around them. 
“I noticed too.” Sakura chirped in to the conversation. 
“We are close.” Minjoo said eyes still close. 
“Yujin you are getting bold each time.” it's a joy to see them getting more comfortable to each one step at a time. 
The three just left the two to enjoy the moment as they scour around the area for anything to eat without getting detected by the enemies. The enemy force managed to take over the whole city. Minjoo is lucky enough that her house is situated in the farthest area of the housing district just a shy closer to the military barracks. Minjoo's father is once a soldier that's why their house is just around the corner. The allied forces saw the three of them and they immediately help them. The trio came back with enough supplies of food good for two months. 
When they came back from food hunting, when they opened the door the first thing they saw is Yujin and Minjoo sleeping in the sofa. Minjoo is holding Yujin in place to make sure she doesn't fall off the sofa. Chaewon smiled watching her bestfriend getting the love she deserves but the only problem is the two who is blind enough to see how their eyes sparkles when they look at each other. 
Yujin's first instinct is to go to Minjoo when something bad or good happen. “What a wonderful sight to see.” Yena is sarcastic because she kinda looks like an extra between Sakura and Chaewon.
Yena is busy listening to radio, the man in the radio solemnly bids goodbye to his listeners introducing the farewell song. The next scene unfolds with Yena holding her breath, blown by the voice of an angel singing an unfamiliar song. After the song is done, her immediate action is to ask, 
“Who is that angel?” 
Minjoo unknowingly listened to song from her favorite young singer, “She's Jo Yuri. She's an opera singer.” 
“Thanks Minjoo.” Yena replies dreamily. 
“Don't get your hopes too high Yena.” Sakura put up an end to Yena dreamscape. 
“Mind your own business kkura.” The two didn't notice Minjoo leaving the drawing room. So she came back like a ghost that startled the two making them both stop fighting. 
“Sh*t, for a second I thought you are a jerries.” Yena is holding her chest while Sakura is ready to put a knife on Minjoo's throat.
“Sorry. I got these upstairs, to show her Yuri's records.” Minjoo explained in haste as she points to Yena's direction. 
They spent the whole hour listening to Yuri's album. It's weird that she looks just like them. “She's really beautiful. What a whole package.” Yena made a comment while holding the record examining the contents and album cover. 
Yujin joined them leaving Chaewon in the back taking care of the few chickens they managed to keep alive. “I'm sorry we couldn't celebrate your birthday today.” Yujin's lips pouting as she leans her head close to Minjoo. 
“I don't mind though. Birthdays, it’s just as bland as a regular day.” They immediately run to the staircase leading to the attic trying to make as little noise they can. Chaewon followed them after the faint marching outside faded. They heard a couple of shots, it's obvious that the jerries is about to invade the army post. 
Today is supposed to be a celebration but they can't afford to put themselves in danger. “Chaewon slow down. You're gonna get us in trouble.” 
“I'm sorry.”
They spent the whole night hiding under the small twinkling of the night sky. Everyone is already sleeping after eating a small meal from the food supply they managed to put in the attic. Yujin and Minjoo is still up peeking through the small gap of the window imagining what it would be like to live in a world where freedom and happiness coexist. To Yujin happiness is one grasp away but she's too scared to even reach out to her. She can only look at her, scared that if she ever touched Minjoo she will disintegrate.  
“Jin, what are you looking at?” 
Yujin's eyes shake and she look away. “Yujinie, talk to me.” 
“I can't. I'm sleepy now.” Yujin lied once again. 
“Okay.” Minjoo dropped the conversation before it even started. She wanted to talk but Yujin is up to it. 
The girls stayed in the attic for 5 days fearing that the jerries will come back to get them for being different. They run out of food supply and someone's needs to clean the mess they made. “I'll check downstairs, just stay here.” 
Minjoo slowly descends the claustrophobic stairs, ignoring the cry of disapproval from her friends. Yujin is especially loud about it but she only look at them, smiling sweetly as if it's the last time she's going to see them. Someone's gotta have to barge the doors right?
When she's finally down, the place is covered with dust. Minjoo retrieved the gas mask place on top of the cabinet. She makes sure that the mask is secured tightly before she left to check outside. She purposely leaves that out. Minjoo checked the list she needs to prioritize in order to save Yena. 
Minjoo struggled to see in the thick fog surrounding her. She eventually reached her destination: Hitomi's house. She entered by breaking the lock of the backdoor. Hitomi's gone and Minjoo used that opportunity to search for clean bandages, food, medicines and everything she needed after securing the items in her backpack when she heard a loud noise outside. 
Minjoo tried her best to stay calm, breathing in and out. “They need you Minjoo. You can do it.” she thought. She held on to her bag, to her surprise it's not the enemy she expected; it's just Yujin who is not wearing a gas mask to protect her. 
Minjoo calls to her, she is mad that Yujin disregard her own safety for what. “What are you doing here? I told you to stay inside right?”
“I'm worried that something bad happened to you.” Yujin is looking down like a kid who's getting scolded by her parents. Hearing that from Yujin melts her heart and her anger vanished. She took off the mask she's wearing then she put it to Yujin. 
Yujin is about to take it off when Minjoo looks at her as if she's going to devour her. “Don't you dare take that off, it's dangerous outside.” 
Minjoo used a piece of cloth to cover and nose. She also made Yujin wear a thick jacket to protect her. “What about you, unnie?”
Minjoo just ignore her and they started moving. Minjoo clasped Yujin's hands guiding her way back to their home. She's usually scared about everything, when it comes to Minjoo she is gaining courage one step at a time. She squeezed Minjoo's hands and the older girl checks her from time to time. Yujin saw that Minjoo's mask is getting loosen up, she made sure to tie it back. Then she searched for Minjoo's hands again fearing that the darkness surrounding them will eat her up for good. “Jin, don't be scared I got you.” Minjoo talks just enough for Yujin to hear. 
They managed to get back safe, helping Yena, then feeding Chaewon and Sakura. The five of them haven't eaten anything since yesterday. Yena is slowly gaining back her strength and the laceration in her right leg is getting better. “Get back to sleep unnie.” 
Yena slowly nod her head before going back to sleep. “Hope the medicine is enough to make her feel better.” 
Minjoo is coughing hard for the last 2 hours making the other girls worried that something bad might happen to her. “Don't worry about me. It's just a mild cough.” Yet she's barking like a hound under the light of the full moon. 
“Unnie, I'm sorry. It's my fault. I should have listened to you.” Minjoo can't help but to stare at Yujin face glowing under the light of thousand fireflies. 
“Don't blame yourself. It's not your fault. I'll be fine. Go to sleep now.” Minjoo pat the spot next to her. Yujin did what Minjoo told her. She might have gone far and grabbed the girls hand to hold. “I feel safer when we are this close.” 
She caressed the younger’s face when Yujin started moving startling Minjoo, taking back her hands on Yujin's delicate skin, 
“Don't.” 
Minjoo obliged cuddling the youner girl under the sound of crickets and occasional marching troops robing outside until her eyes give up, drifting to a place she always yearned to reach. Times like this it’s better to be sleeping, at least when they strike again like a thief in the night, no one is aware. 
June 1945
11:11 – its either an ominous sign or it signifies a spiritual presence. Regardless it’s not a bad idea to hold on to the wishes your hearts desires the most. Our life is just a reflection of our ancestor’s choices that is out of our control. Isolation removes the ability to think far beyond oneself. It came to the point that it’s better to give up now since the window to a better life is getting thinner each day. But –
The drive in Yujin’s eyes gives hope to Minjoo. The girl is the only reason why she’s still fighting to survive. Each day, breathing and hoping that all of this struggles and pain will come to an end. Sigh, it’s a never ending cycle of hiding and seeking; we are the prey, constantly hiding, crawling to spaces in order to evade the captors. Minjoo reach the limitation.   
Yujin noticed the life slowly dying in Minjoo, she looks into her eyes and all she is darkness. This time, it’s her turn to be the pillar the girl who did everything despite the how she’s scared. 
“Unnie!” she repeatedly called for Minjoo, yet the girl is nailed in the sofa unmoving, unaware of everything that is going everywhere. “Unnie, please look at me.” Yujin move closer, gently making the older look at her. Yujin is scared too, struggling to wrap her head around the events that happen in the last two months. “I’m here too, why are acting like I am dead. All I ask is for you to be strong, I can feel it. The end is nearing. Just hang in there.”
Minjoo closed her eyes, fighting the urge to cry again. Yujin firmly holds her when she tried to look to the other side. “You’re strong! You managed to survive on your own for months. I’m devastated that they had to hold off the enemies long enough for us to run. Unnie, we need to be strong in order to save them.” 

“Yujin, we can’t save them. We are all doomed.”

“No! We can save them. Don’t lose hope.” 

Minjoo stopped arguing, it’s mean of her to say that to a kid. “I’m sorry Yujin.”
She realized that Yujin lost her family for the second time. “I heard tomorrow the train is heading out of the town tomorrow. If we go there, we might catch them.” 
It’s a suicide mission, but Minjoo is willing to do everything to make sure that Yujin is reunited with her family once more. It’s the only thing she can do for her, even if it means she has to give up her own life. She can never tell how much she loves the younger one, today she realized that love is the fuel that makes do crazy things. 
Yujin brightened up after hearing Minjoo talk about saving her friends. What an innocent kid, the train Minjoo is talking about is your one way ticket to doomsday. “Thank you, unnie. You’re the best.” 
It’s enough. 

The next day, Minjoo wake up earlier than the time they plan to go. “I will bring them back. I promise.” She whispered before she give Yujin one last kiss in the forehead. She draped Yujin with a thick blanket before she look at her one last time. 
“It’s now or never.” 
  You might think that she came unprepared but no. For months, Minjoo studied the route and how to get there without sounding the alarm. She’s meeting with Hitomi today. “Minjoo-yang, are you sure that you know what you are doing?”  
MInjoo just nod her head because she’s setting up a trap. Minjoo asked Hitomi to bring a marksman and to her delight she brought someone with a code name WY. The months of memorizing the guards shift and their positions paid off when the marksman takes down half of them with ease.
“She’s the best archer in town.” Hitomi brags after the girl packed her stuff and ready to leave. 
----
Yujin wake up just in time. Minjoo tricked the poor girl when the original plan is she’s going with her. “Unnie, why would you that to me.” 
Yujin spotted an envelope standout in the array objects in the nightstand. Yujin fetched the envelope then she gets herself comfortable in her bed. “Minjoo unnie wrote me a letter? Why, I don’t understand.” 
She carefully tore the envelope before putting the envelope with her belongings. 
To Yujin:
You will probably open this letter when I’m gone. It’s a shame though since I wanted to spend more time with you. The last months of my life became brighter when you came into my life. God, I am not good at putting my feelings into words. I’ll try the best in my power to put my thoughts in this paper. You’re the prettiest when you smile like this (Minjoo attached a photo of Yujin they took during their amusement park date), you wear your heart in your sleeve; the precious Yujin who I can’t leave without. I apologize that for the last couple of months I was gone, ah precious Yujin who I made feel alone when she needed me the most. Don’t worry those days are spent to find a way to bring your back together. You may not know this, but some of your friends managed to survive the shootout. So, I am doing my best to make it up to you when I go back. Your happiness is more important to me more than anything else. In this essay, I have the guts to confess than in person.  Ahn Yujin, I love you. I’ll see you later. 
PS:
Please be happy! I’m embarrassed with what I am writing. I don’t even know how to face you after this. I’m not asking you for anything in return, all I want is for you to know that there is a Kim Minjoo who sincerely loves you.

Yours Truly,
Kim Minjoo 

The stars aligned in Yujin’s favor. What a joy to know that the person you love the most also feels the same. She looks at the letter one last time to make sure she’s not hallucinating, dreaming the least. She waited for Minjoo to go home that day but there is no Minjoo who showed up in the doorstep. Evening transitioned to night, still there is no Minjoo. Yujin fetched the only photo of Minjoo she had and it’s the same photo they took during their amusement park date. It’s expensive but worth every penny she had. 
She heard footsteps outside and her body freeze, what if it’s them? 

It’s them, her family. She waited for Minjoo to emerge, “Where is Minjoo unnie?” 

Yena, Sakura, Chaewon and the rest look at each other. “What are you talking about?”

A/N: Finally, I reached the end of the story. It was a hard labor process of writing this story while dealing with personal problems and the quarantine that’s making everything harder than it already was. Hope you enjoy reading just as much as I enjoy writing this piece.