Falter

Let’s Try
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
***** Joohyun could still remember that look on his face when his eyes fell on Seulhyun. Shock, realization, disbelief, and anger. It was the anger that scared her. She didn’t know if that anger was meant for her. Or for himself. And right then and there, Seulgi must have seen the truth. There was a slight pang in her chest knowing that he could’ve been there for them. It was unclear why he wouldn’t believe it was his child. But this whole situation was his doing! How could she possibly stay with him if he didn’t want their child?! At that time, leaving was her only option. “You think you’ll be okay?” Sooyoung helped in tucking Seulhyun into her own bed. Sometimes, her daughter wants to sleep in her own bed. She’s growing up fast. Joohyun believes she won’t be able to sleep tonight. What happened earlier was too much. Thankfully, her daughter was exhausted from her time at the beach.  She could still remember the way Seulgi had stepped away from her earlier and simply assured her he would return. Letting out a sigh, she said, “he’ll be back. I’m kind of nervous seeing his reaction. I wished he had just gotten it all out of his system once and for all, perhaps if he had screamed at me and demanded an explanation. But the silence was making me a bit nervous.” “It might’ve been a shock to him seeing Seulhyun for the first time. I can’t believe he would think you had a lover or something.” “That’s one thing! And every time I speak about having kids, he would simply dismiss me! We were so excited talking about it before, but then, he became different. Like, he was just shutting down the idea of us having kids!” “Maybe something happened—” “Maybe he was ing someone else while being married to me.” “I don’t know, Hyun. Your husband was so in love with you, was there someone else involved other than his secretary?” She was in deep thoughts. Over the course of their marriage, was there someone who he was jealous of? She has no idea. Joohyun looked out the window. Why wasn't he here yet?! Damn you, Joohyun! You weak little . She got mad at herself, which is a daily occurrence nowadays ever since he came back in her life again.  She rubbed her arms, suddenly feeling cold. She looked around the house, looked up at her wall clock, it was already 7:30 pm. She had put Seulhyun to sleep an hour ago and had gone through her nightly ritual. She thought of going to sleep already. It didn't seem like he would be coming anyway. With that thought in mind, she made her way to her bedroom. She had barely gotten there when the loud engine reached her ears. She halted in her footsteps as she listened on. The sound of a car door opening and shutting. Suddenly, she felt a little nervous. Looking at herself, she was decent. Why would you check yourself?! He’s here to talk about your daughter! She considered going into her bedroom and ignoring the knock. Maybe delay the confrontation for another day. The knock came again, this time harder, “open the door, Joohyun. I know you’re still awake. The lights are still on.” With a deep breath, she opened the door and looked up. His furrowed brows looked at her like some criminal caught red-handed. “We need to talk about something.” Of course, we need to talk about things! She thought. Joohyun had the time to check his appearance. His eyes were red like he cried too much. She wonders. Seulgi himself couldn’t stop looking at Joohyun from head to toe. The way the shirt she had on hugged her body, her s tempted him. Despite the time they had been apart, just the mere look of this woman made him feel like some -starved person. “Joohyun.” He said, his voice longing. Or she might’ve just been hallucinating. “Seulgi,” she uttered his name without any emotion. She didn’t want him to think that she really was affected by his presence. “What do you want to talk about?” She asked, her voice shaky. That was a stupid question, Joohyun! “You and Seulhyun. Back to me.” Joohyun was surprised he knew his daughter’s name. But it’s to be expected, he had to know everything about her by now, with gritted teeth, “no.” His eyebrows furrowed, “no, Joohyun?” “Why are you doing this? You don't need us.” “That is where you are wrong. I need you and Seulhyun. So much you can't even begin to know.” Worriedly, Seulgi reached for her hand, but she slapped it, “that’s not the only reason, Seulgi. Don’t lie to me!” She said angrily. How dare he! Seulgi sighed deeply, “that’s my first reason. The second was because of my grandfather.” Of course, she thought.  “You can’t possibly be serious, Seulgi? What’s gotten into you? Do you really think you can just barge into my house and tell me a lie after all that you put me through?!” Seulgi looked pained. It must have been hard for Joohyun the last five years. Back in the hotel, he almost killed his secretary after lying like that. But Seulgi knew he was also to blame for all of this. How can he not have done another test just to be sure? Well, after noticing his wife left him, he wasn’t in his best state. One could think he was ready to jump off the cliff. The people around him were worried he was losing his sanity. His parents worried about him.  As soon as he realized Gyuri’s lies, he had her leave the island and wouldn’t be back at her job anymore. He’ll make sure her friend who connived with her will have her licensed stripped off from her too.  “I’m sorry, Hyun—” Joohyun scoffed, “sorry?! Is that it? You can’t possibly think I will forgive you just because you’re sorry?” “I thought I was infertile,” Seulgi whispered, trying hard not to break down again. Joohyun thought she didn’t hear him clearly, “what?” She asked softly.  He let out a deep sigh, “I thought I was incapable of giving you a family you longed for. I was incredibly hurt just thinking about it. How can I possibly be that useless?! The men in my family are proud men. How can I not feel ashamed?” Joohyun couldn’t believe what he was saying. Was Seulgi trying to fool her?! No, he can’t possibly just say this just to make himself look good to her.  “You were so excited talking about getting pregnant, that I just feel so ing hurt. I love you so much, and I thought just having you around was enough. That I am enough. We don’t need to have children just to be together. But when you said you were pregnant, I was a wreck. Like, how?! So I was angry at you for fooling me—” Joohyun would’ve slapped him right there and then, but she stopped herself, “I would never cheat on you, Seulgi, you know that!” “I realized that now. Maybe I feel insecure about my situation because I wasn’t thinking clearly. Jealousy and betrayal. That’s what I felt at that time. But seeing Seulhyun.. I realized what I had done.” Seulgi broke down. Joohyun covered her face with her palm hearing him cry. She was hurt to hear him bawl in front of her. He wasn’t there when she was carrying Seulhyun in her womb. He wasn’t there when she was crying looking for him, missing him when her bed went cold. Seulgi wasn’t there to hold her hand as she gave birth to their daughter. Their beautiful beautiful daughter. He wasn’t there for her first step, first word. He hadn’t been there with them the last five years. Realizing it all at once was unbearable.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter