Ch. 1

A Djinn’s New Life

Jimin sat on the floor of an empty apartment looking up at the ceiling. He sighed waiting for someone to move into his home that his previous master bound him to. His red garnet necklace kept him warm while his powers as a djinn gave him the ability to conjure up food and water to drink. He knocked his head on the wall and heard a woman speaking with someone while unlocking the door. He turned invisible so the visitors wouldn’t see him and so he could see if he would get a new master.

 

The landlady walked in with a woman who looked at him with light purple around her pupil and dark blue around the purple that made her irises look like a purple and blue galaxy. She smiled at him, making him curious about this woman. The landlady took her around the one bedroom apartment while Jimin followed them in curiosity. 

 

“So, Miss Shaza, how do you like this place?” asked the landlady while Jimin stood by the window looking at the two women.

 

“I like the view here better than the previous room you’ve shown me,” said Miss Shaza whom Jimin decided to nickname her Zasa, “I’ll also be able to get my studies done for school.”

 

“Wonderful, how soon will you be moving in?” asked the landlady.

 

Zasa took out her checkbook then wrote a check to the landlady then handed the check to her.

 

“I’ll be moving in today if you don’t mind,” said Zasa.

 

The landlady smiled, “How wonderful. Would you like any help with moving in?”

 

“That won’t be necessary,” said Zasa, “I have that under control.”

 

The landlady nodded, “Of course, given that you’re a gifted vampire I’m sure you won’t need the help.”

 

Zasa smiled at the landlady and she handed Zasa the keys. Zasa followed the landlady to the door and she closed the door and locked it. She moved her dark brown wavy hair behind her ear then looked at Jimin who leaned against the wall and she folded her arms.

 

“When I heard about something living in this apartment I never thought a djinn would be my new roommate,” said Zasa.

 

Zasa snapped her fingers and all of her furniture and belongings appeared in an instant.

 

“So what’s your name djinn?” she asked.

 

“I’m Park Jimin,” he replied while looking at the furniture and belongings that appeared in the kitchen and living room.

 

“I’m Shaza Ruby,” said Ruby, “I’m a vampire.”

 

“How do you have magic?” asked Jimin.

 

“My family are gifted vampires,” Ruby replied, “I guess you can say we’re like fallen angels of some sort.”

 

“Interesting, I’ve never heard of vampires like you,” he said.

 

“Like I’ve never met a djinn until I met you,” she said.

 

“So, why do you have very unique eyes?” he asked.

 

Ruby shrugged, “I have no idea. None of my family members have it so it’s still a mystery.”

 

“They’re very beautiful,” he said.

 

“Question, why were you bound to this apartment?” asked Ruby.

 

“My previous master told me that he was done with me so he bound me here,” he replied, “I’m still working out on how I’d be leaving this place.”

 

“I have an idea,” said Ruby.

 

She walked past him to the bathroom then grabbed a ring with a gold band with a reddish band in the center of the gold. She walked back to him then held up the ring to him. 

 

“How about a fair contract?” she asked him.

 

“What do you propose?” he questioned, “The last person I trusted bound me to this damn place.”

 

“I want you to be my bodyguard and protector,” she replied, “what about you, what do you propose?”

 

He looked at her bewildered, “That’s what you want me to do?”

 

“Vampires with my powers are hard to come by. I wouldn’t want to get kidnapped,” she replied, “besides the contract will bind you to me to where I can teleport you to wherever my location is. Now tell me your terms so I can bind it to this ring.”

 

“I want you to be a trustworthy person. I have met too many deceitful people in my life that I’m done with everyone,” he said.

 

The red band turned purple and she placed it onto his left thumb.

 

“The ring will fall off or disappear if I unbind our contract or if I don’t uphold my end of our contract,” said Ruby.

 

“Why would you trust me with it?” he asked her.

 

She put up her left wrist and he saw a red and gold bracelet around her wrist.

 

“I bound the contract to my bracelet,” she replied, “besides I find it easier to have the contract bound to each of us. The red band came from the ring you’re wearing and the purple is from the bracelet I’m wearing. It signifies that the contract is intact.”

 

“Your magic is interesting,” he said.

 

Ruby smiled, “I’m sure it’s very different from yours.”

 

“So, what about me being able to leave the apartment?” he asked.

 

“Oh, right,” she said.

 

She put her palms facing up and Jimin saw the circle under his feet turn blue and it disappeared.

 

“There you go,” she said, “now you have the freedom to leave the apartment if you wish. I won’t stop you from leaving since the ring allows me to teleport you to me when I need protection.”

 

Jimin hesitated before walking to the front door. Ruby walked to the couch then sat down on it having books and notebooks appear on the coffee table. Ruby sat down and started doing her school work on owning a business and architecture. Jimin opened the door then stepped outside of the apartment for the first time in months. He smiled then ran down the hall smiling.

 

He got to the mall fulfilling children’s wishes due to his happiness of being free. He saw his previous master talking to a girl and he could feel his wish to want to give the girl flowers. He had dead flowers appear in the males hands having the girl laugh at him then walk away. Jimin smiled then picked up yellow roses. He went back to Ruby’s apartment and opened the door.

 

Ruby looked up at him with the pen cap in while laying down on the couch doing her calculus. She sat up then put her book down.

 

“What’s the flowers for?” asked Ruby.

 

“For giving me my freedom of this place,” he replied while walking over to her and handing her the flowers.

 

She took the bouquet then ran her fingers on the petals while smiling.

 

“Thank you,” she said, then walking to the kitchen and putting it into a vase.

 

Jimin looked at the apartment and noticed the living room got bigger and the balcony was enclosed. He frowned and Ruby placed her finger between his eyebrows making him stop frowning.

 

“I expanded the apartment with my magic,” she replied, “I also made you your own bedroom if you didn’t want to move out.”

 

“How did you know I wasn’t going to leave this place?” he asked.

 

“I didn’t,” she replied, “I figured you were bound to this place somehow so I thought to give you your own bedroom. By the way please excuse the extra room. I made a pool and gym room since I like to keep in shape.”

 

“Aren’t you drained from using your powers?” he asked.

 

“Nope, I’m sure you’re drained from using your gifts,” she replied, “you should rest. Your room is the old bedroom. If your room isn’t to your liking just let me know and I’ll fix it for you.”

 

Jimin walked to the bedroom and saw a canopy bed with navy bedding, on the walls were katanas, and a walk in closet with his clothes that he was hoping his new master wouldn’t find that he hid through his magic. He looked out his door at Ruby who sat there studying then in the living room. He smiled then closed the door and walked into his closet and found a door that led to his own private bathroom. He showered then put on his pajamas then went to bed. 

 

In the morning he awoke and looked around his room thinking he was living a dream with a new master who somewhat spoiled him. He laid there on his bed looking at his things and smiled. He walked out of the bedroom and saw a plate of food on the kitchen counter and saw a note next to it. 

 

He picked up the note and it read: 

 

Morning, I went to school. I hope you slept well. I made breakfast for you, hope you like it. I’ll be back after lunch after my last class.

 

-Ruby


 

He looked at the vegetables and chicken breakfast and started eating. He cleaned up after breakfast then changed his clothes to black jeans, a plain white t-shirt, and a black pullover. He heard the front door open and a bag being dropped to the floor. He walked out of his room and saw Ruby leaning against the wall with her forehead pressed against it. He walked up to her and placed his hand on her shoulder.

 

She looked at him as tears ran down her cheeks. He wiped the tears from her eyes and pulled her into a hug.

 

“Are you alright, Ruby?” he asked.

 

“I-I’ll be fine,” she replied, “I just screwed up today.”

 

“When you’re ready to talk about it, I’ll be here to listen,” he said.

 

He felt tears on his jacket as Ruby hugged him. She let him go and he tipped her chin up to have her look at him. She looked into his dark brown eyes and he wiped a stray tear that fell down her right cheek. She placed her hand on his and he saw blood on her right hand. He took her hand in his and she moved her hand then placed it behind her back.

 

“I hurt someone after my last class of the day,” she said softly, “I didn’t mean to scratch him but he made me do it. He egged me on by saying I was a wimp vampire who didn’t have the strength to injure a werewolf. He hit me then because of reflex I slapped him while scratching into his skin.”

 

“Do you have an injury?” he asked.

 

Ruby lifted up her shirt showing him a scratch mark on her left side. He took her by the hand then sat her on the couch. He grabbed bandaids, a rag, and alcohol then went back to the living room and started cleaning her wound. Ruby held up her shirt while he cleaned it. He saw little black flecks on the rag he used to clean out her wound. 

 

He looked at the black flecks closely and remembered his previous master always made a serum for his nails that would make small black residue on his nails that killed someone. He laid her on her side then poured the alcohol on the wound making Ruby wince and the black flecks leave her wound and have the wound heal before his eyes. He ran his fingers on her skin then started cleaning up the black flecks.

 

“Do you know the name of the guy who hurt you?” asked Jimin.

 

“Goo Hyunbin,” she replied while sitting up on the couch.

 

Jimin sat there looking at her, “He was my previous master.”

 

Ruby placed her hand on his left cheek then ran her thumb against it, “I had a feeling he was. I wondered why his aura was different three months back. Now I know why, your powers don’t protect him anymore.”

 

“What do you mean my powers don’t protect him?” asked Jimin.

 

“He had this little veil of silver that shimmered whenever he talked to girls and his friends and get whatever he wanted from them,” said Ruby, “but three months ago I saw it disappear and his luck was different. It was like your power helped him out in some way.”

 

Jimin placed his hand on hers then placed it on her lap. He looked into her eyes and could help but stare into its purple and blue depths. He sat there for a good thirty seconds then got up to put away the bandaids, rag, and the alcohol. Ruby watched him go to the bathroom and she sat closer to the back of the couch.

 

“How are you doing this morning?” she asked him.

 

“I’m doing better,” he said as he walked back to the living room, “I’m just trying to get used to having a new master.”

 

Ruby let out a small giggle, “Don’t think of us having a master and servant type of relationship. What we have is a beginning friendship. Trust me I don’t think I’m the right person for you to serve. I will not wish or ask you for anything if I can get it myself.”

 

“You‘ll end up wishing for something,” he said, “I know it will come, but a thing you should know about my powers that you should know is, one I can’t make anyone fall in love.”

 

“Of course not, you can’t tell someone’s heart to love a person, they have a right to their own choice on who they want to be with,” said Ruby.

 

Jimin sat there with his mouth agape trying to form words but nothing came out since she was the first to not grumble or wish for that rule to change.

 

“Uh, two won’t bring anyone back from the dead,” he said.

 

“Necromancy isn’t a pretty thing, so I don’t blame you,” she said, “my aunt is a necromancer in Tuloc and it is not a pretty job to have when you have a rotting corpse that walks around a town or a soul that wasn’t the same as before.”

 

“Third rule, I won’t kill anyone with my magic,” he said, “I don’t want that in my consciousness.”

 

Ruby smirked, “My brother does spells to kill people and curse them. That’s not something I would ever want someone else to do.”

 

“Even if you say you’re not going to wish for anything I will still tell you my final rule,” said Jimin, “you’re only allowed three wishes.”

 

“Okay,” said Ruby, “but like I said I won’t wish for anything. I just want you to be yourself and be happy.”

 

Jimin stood there looking at his new master unable to comprehend why this woman was different from the others, but he knew to wait and see since he knew everyone wanted something and didn't keep their word down the line. Ruby stood up and walked to the kitchen.