my dear

my dear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan, on average, has a hard time sleeping.

 

She mostly chalks it up to her job. As vice president of a well-to-do public relations firm she’s constantly on the move. Appointments with clients, meetings with business associates, and marketing conferences occupy most of her waking hours. There isn’t even enough time to think about the usual outrage from the firm’s rivals at discovering her position.

 

“They’re surprised you’re only thirty-one,” Sooyoung, her secretary, tells her once. There’s an amused smile playing on the corners of her lips, gesturing toward the name-plate on Seungwan’s desk. “They insist that your father bribed the board into letting you get here.”

 

Seungwan’s only response to that is a snort. She’ll let them believe what they want. She can think of a million better things to do, and foremost of them is that she has a business to help run.

 

With a packed timeline and workload heavy enough to earn slack-jawed awe from employees, the common assumption is that she has no trouble falling asleep at night. No one desperately wants it more than Seungwan to be true, because it actually isn’t.

 

The rush she gets from blazing through her loaded schedule never does wear off by the time she gets home. It’s handy, sure, whenever she has leftover papers to review or surprise video calls to hold with the firm’s overseas partners. But it’s a constant thorn in her side when she wants to sleep. Seungwan thinks it’s like running on coffee fuel that never seems to end - except that she wants to turn the tap off the moment she’s in bed.

 

Her girlfriend, Juhyun, can’t be any more different.

 

Juhyun’s lifestyle is a far cry from her own, including work. While the nature of what Seungwan does on a daily basis is frantic, fast-paced enough to leave any rookie intern breathless on the first day, Juhyun goes about things at a leisurely pace. It helps that she has no rigid schedule to follow, remotely working as the associate editor for a notable bi-annual literary magazine.

 

Her girlfriend’s everyday routine is so simple that Seungwan can recite it without pausing. Juhyun always, always wakes up at the crack of dawn, followed closely by breakfast with Seungwan. Then after watching Seungwan making a mad dash for work, Juhyun spends the morning reviewing submissions from potential contributors. Lunch with either Seulgi or Yerim, sometimes both, is next. Half of the afternoon is reserved for a nap, which leaves her energized enough to attend the Pilates class next door. Evening is split into preparing dinner and revising the drafts for her next novel.

 

By the usual time Seungwan returns, which is a few minutes past ten, Juhyun has already dozed off.

 

Seungwan’s too much of a workaholic to envy her girlfriend’s job. As hectic as supervising a public relations firm can get, she wouldn’t trade the frenzy it entails for anything else.

 

What she does envy a little, though, is Juhyun’s uncanny ability to fall asleep within a few minutes.

 

“Chamomile tea helps,” Juhyun suggests, when Seungwan wonders aloud about it during a weekend movie date. “I used to drink it often when I was in college.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter