The Way We Used To Be

The Way We Used To Be

It’s all started when we’re in high school, the moment I saw her; I knew she was the one. I need to have her, I want to be with her. She’s my all, my everything and right at that moment; I knew she’s the girl I’m spending my life with. I cherish every seconds that I’m with her. I feel so lucky when she said ‘yes’ to be my girlfriend after 9 months of courting her. I give her everything that I could, everything. Including myself, I want to show her how much I love her. For 5 years we’re together, until we go to the same college.

 

I was at the gym waiting for Irene to finish her class. There’s a ball and since my father and I used to play basketball, I tried shooting it. Then I just got into it and start playing all alone since nobody is here.

 

“Hey, kiddo. You got the hoops! You want to try out? We’re looking for point guards” a lady said.

 

I just stared at her, I’m not good with communications. I only have Irene to communicate with. She’s all I have. 

 

It takes me for full 5 seconds to realize that she was talking to me.

“Uhm, yeah. I-uh, no thanks. Ms?” I stuttered I know, can you blame me?

“It’s Tzuyu, the name is Tzuyu! I’m the team captain of the basketball for women” the lady named Tzuyu said.

“Oh, uhm, nice to meet you Tzuyu! But uhm, thanks for the offer tho. I have to go” I didn’t give Tzuyu the chance to say goodbye I just dashed out.

 

I check my phone if Irene sent me a message.

 

From: Baeby ❤️

Seulgiyah~ I have a group study with my classmates. You go ahead and go home by yourself. I’ll text you later once I got home! Be careful! Love you bear!

 

Weird. That’s the first time she ditched me. Well, I understand since we’re in college now. But it’s our anniversary. I have everything planned out. Take her to a fancy restaurant that I had to do extra tutoring to afford it. 

 

It’s kinda hurt, but I had to understand. Alright, Seulgi please understand Irene. Please. 

 

To: Baeby ❤️

Alright, take care! Love you!

 

But it still hurt. 

 

“Hey Seulgi! Wait up!” It’s Tzuyu.

“Hey Tzuyu! What’s up?” 

“Why are you crying?” She asked me.

 

I’m crying?? I checked my eyes with my hands and she’s right. I’m crying.

 

“Omygod, this is so embarassing. I’m sorry” I immediately I apologize but I don’t know why.

“Hey, no it’s alright. I have no rights to asked you why but please, do consider going with the team” Tzuyu said.

“When’s the try out?” I asked her and I saw her big smile that day. 

 

Days has passed and I got accepted at the basketball team. I met new friends, Moonbyul, Hani, Hyojung and Jisoo. Irene and I barely saw each other. We will met in the hallway and will bid each other a quick hi. She sometimes blew me a kiss which Moonbyul and Hyojung got teased me for.

 

Our forgotten anniversary has never bring up. Which kinda bothers me since it’s the first time she forgot about it. It’s friday and I decided to surprise her. She’s on her dorm and she give me a spare key. I bring roses and the necklace that I should give to her on our anniversary. Cause I have the feeling that I may neglecting her due to basketball practice.

 

When I open the door, my world crumbles. The woman I loved for 5 years, the woman I cherished with my whole life is at the bed with a girl. The girl is hugging her tightly, kissing her forehead. That should be me.

 

I saw Irene, in tears. I want to walk away but part of me wants her to have the chance to explain herself.

 

“H-hey” I stared at them.

“Seulgi, hey. Seungwanie, we will talk tomorrow okay? See you” 

“Alright Irene, please consider what I said” the girl called Seungwanie said and take her things before going out from Irene’s dorm.

“W-What happened? Is there s-something wrong?” I asked her.

“Seulgi, I-I wanted to break up with you” 

“What? Why? I mean? Did I do something wrong? Is it because of me joing the basketball team? I’ll quitnif you want me too”

“No, no Seulgi. That’s not it.” She said

“Then why Irene?”

“I just wanted to!” 

“Is that because of Seungwanie??”

“I-“ she kept quiet. And That explains everything.

“Okay, if that’s what you want.” I left her and go to the gym. 

 

I play basketball all by myself to forget the pain I’m feeling right now.

The girl I wanted to have future with, suddenly gone. Just like that. It’s kinda unfair that it takes years to build this kind of love and it only takes a minute to end it.

“Hey, semi-finals is not until the next month. Why are you practically killing yourself?” Tzuyu suddenly appeared.

“Tzuyu? What are you doing here?” I asked ignoring her question.

“Well I forgot something in the locker, how about you?” 

“I-I don’t know. I just wanted to play” 

“Alright, go on, play I’ll be here. Judging you” she smiled standing near the ring and leaned at the wall.

 

I continue playing, it’s already been an hour and Tzuyu still here. I was about to do my last layup when I lost my balance and I tried to stop myself but I end up trapping Tzuyu in between my arms while I’m preventing myself from falling with my hands against the wall.

 

I stare at her, she seemed pretty shocked. I could smell the sweet fragrance. I felt shivers that made her whole body tremble. "If you want me to stop, tell me now," I said. “Seulgi” she said.

 

And that’s when I came to my senses. “Oh god Tzuyu I’m sor-“ but she reached me up and pulled me to her. She placed our lips on where it belongs. We are kissing. Like our lives depend on it, her tongue slips inside my mouth, light but possessively, and it’s the first I’ve ever experienced this kind of kiss. Irene and I never kiss like this and it’s mind blowing.

 

When we part, we heared a metal clacking. It’s Irene, she’s holding something. She’s in tears, I ran to her but it’s too late. She’s running away, I don’t have the energy to chase her but I still tried but end up in the ground. “IRENE!” I shouted but that doesn’t stop her from running.

 

“Oh God. Seulgi, i’m so sorry! I shouldn’t-“

“It’s not your fault Tzuyu, I have to go. See you at the practice” I cut her off and I proceed to walk slowly.