The Waves Between Us

The Waves Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Vows exchanged with the grains of sand between their toes and an ocean view for a backdrop. The warm weather of summer has been the greatest comfort for years now, making this the perfect place to promise the rest of their lives to each other. Days spent in the sun, lounging around together, promising to walk down this beach every year after until their feet are no longer capable of doing so, both knowing it won’t be years, however.

Polaroids capture the moments effortlessly, bringing to life all the overwhelming feelings between the two girls and not allowing the world to forget the love they’ve carved. Videos of the everyday life tasks that they both find the beauty in doing together. Splashing the warm seawater with their legs until it turns into a slow-dance that neither wants to end. The sun beaming high above blistering their uncovered skin, later to be healed with soft kisses. Memories to hold on to, to cherish, for all of eternity for when the inevitable comes which they’re both expecting.

Every day it looms closer and every day they wish that it weren’t true.

It doesn’t take long for the disease to grasp her small body. Writhing it in pain that can’t be seen. Worst of all, destroying the most perfect smile in the world and replacing it with a haunting, hollow frown. Pale skin lacking any resemblance to the sun-kissed tan that they had both become used to. Tiredness that makes even a short conversation often too difficult to stay awake for.

Things weren’t supposed to end up like this, yet, this is the cruel hand offered to them both.

Witnessing the love of your life, your soulmate slowly seep into a darkness filled with impending death, and self-blame is not something that Jisoo signed up for when she handed over her heart. But, for Jennie, she’d give her anything in the world

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter