fin.

best friend?

Hong Jisoo knew he messed up big time when he saw Kim Jisoo with Park Jinyoung laughing as they walk through the corridor of their university. He noticed the way Jinyoung leaned his head down towards the girl to hear Jisoo more clearly. He noticed the way Jinyoung matched her pace so she wouldn't get left behind by his usual long step. He noticed the way Jinyoung would put his hand behind her back every time Jisoo started to unintentionally walk off course. Most importantly, Hong Jisoo noticed the way her eyes seemed to twinkle when she looked up to see Jinyoung.

Hong Jisoo knew he messed up big time, and Jeon Wonwoo was already telling him that the moment he found out Hong Jisoo dared to tell Kim Jisoo his then girlfriend (who barely lasted five months) was uncomfortable with her being his best friend. 

"How could you do that to her, hyung?" he remembered Wonwoo saying. "Sooya noona has been your best friend since you guys were a kid and you, of all people, told her to keep her distance for a while because of some girl?"

Jisoo smiled at the nickname. Having two Jisoo in the same circle was confusing; Hong Jisoo had always called his best friend "Sooya" since they were both kids. Jeon Wonwoo and Kim Mingyu had deemed it fit that they adopt the nickname if they were to hang out together. Hong Jisoo hadn't been okay with it. It was his nickname for her. But seeing Jisoo laugh at them as she nodded, he decided to not express his disagreement.

How long had it been since he called her that? He frowned to himself. Too long for his liking, he realized. And it's all his fault.

Jisoo didn't understand why he was protective (sometimes even possesive) of her but he was. Sometimes even Jisoo herself would scold him for being too protective; she was not his girlfriend. Was it the brotherly instinct he had grown towards her? People always say they both seem like twins whose personalities clash each other; one was calm and the other caothic. It did not make sense. Then what's about them that screamed twins? The name?

He remembered one time Mingyu accidentally broke a mug on his apartment, the three of them was setting the delivery food on the table when it happened. Kim Jisoo was quick to run to the younger guy, eyes full of worry, her small hand holding his big one as she scolded him for somehow getting himself a big cut. Hong Jisoo, on the other hand, ran to get the first aid and was already fixing him up as his best friend nagged Mingyu nonstop. He looked just the tiniest bit apologetic, a shameless grin on his face as he muttered something along the line of "But I get you worrying about me, right, noona?" which earned him a good slap to the head. Hong Jisoo chuckled as he finished putting a band-aid on Mingyu's hand. Mingyu had said they both worked like they were one; they did not clash, they complied each other. And that's the only good explanation Hong Jisoo had ever gotten despite the lack of it.

Hong Jisoo knew it wasn't romantic. Whatever he felt about Kim Jisoo-- it couldn't be romantic. Not because she's not good enough (God, she's almost too good for his liking), but because Jisoo felt like they had gone past that. They had been friends for almost ten years now. If they had had feelings for each other; either timing didn't work out, or it had passed. 

When he saw Park Jinyoung brought Jisoo to sit with his circle of friends it had not hit him that much. When he saw Jisoo laughing as Kim Yugyeom and Bambam acted up in front of her, he realized that it had been so long since the last time she laughed at his dumb jokes. But it wasn't until he woke up to someone crying on his shared apartment with Wonwoo that he truly realized.

The guy was taking a quick nap, then. He had told Wonwoo he had class all day, and not long after the younger guy excused himself out, someone texted Jisoo the professor had a sudden meeting and the afternoon class was canceled. Not having better things to do, he decided to retreat to his room and catch up on sleep. His mind once again drifting to Jisoo who's usually his go-to at times like this.

Kim Jisoo had a lot of tears. But she preferred to cry by herself in the comfort of her room, she didn't like to cry in front of people and that included Hong Jisoo, her best friend. Jisoo had only seen her cry a few handful of times: they were 8 when her dog, Dalgom, suddenly threw up and was taken to the vet; the second time was during high school when he caught her crying because of a book she's reading; the last time was when Jisoo broke up with her first serious boyfriend. Hong Jisoo remembered being alarmed as he received her call, her voice shaking and her breathing hard. He was ready to go to her apartement only to meet her right in front of his door, eyes red from holding back tears. Jisoo gently took her hand and pulled her in his embrace, closing the door behind him as Jisoo finally cried her heart out. Other than that, Jisoo didn't remember if he had ever seen the girl cry. Even when she's having a hard time, Kim Jisoo, his beautiful and strong Kim Jisoo, would only lean her head on his shoulder as his hand gently her head.

Hong Jisoo didn't think it would be his Jisoo who's crying in front of a very confused Wonwoo, her face burried in her hands as Wonwoo tried to calm her down. When he did realize it was Kim Jisoo, he was quick to sit down beside her and brought her head to the nook of his neck, hiding her crying face from Wonwoo. He could've cared less about Wonwoo asking why he's home when he said he'd be in class. He could feel the girl stiffen at first, he knew she thought about getting away from him, he knew for a second there she contemplated on pushing him away. But, apparently, whatever was making her cry was more important than her pride. So Jisoo tightened his hold on her, and he could feel the weight on his shoulder gone as she circled her arm around his waist. 

Kim Jisoo was his best friend after all. 


a/n: i think i reallly just like idols interactions so it's for my amusement that i imagine them as friends