1/1

Drive me 'round town

I look at her and have to smile
As we go driving for a while

[5 years old Yeji and Jisu]

A loud bang came from the direction of the Jungle Gym. At instinct, my head snapped towards the said direction – and saw a small girl, perhaps the same age as mine.

 

What happened to you? Are you hurt?”

 

In midst of her small whimpers and tears, she managed to answer

 

I slipped from the monkey bars a-a-and it h-hurts”

 

I offered her my hand, and shook the dirt off her clothes, gently wiping her tear-stricken face

 

What’s your name? I’m Yeji! Your knees look bad, come with me by the faucet and clean that up. Hop on my back!”

 

She lifted her brown doe-eyes upon me. Little did I know, this would entail me in forever residing in her light

 

I’m Jisu”

 

Her hair blowing in the open window of my car, and
And as we go the traffic lights

[12 years old Yeji and Jisu]

 

Jisu was basking under the warmth of the summer sun. She’s with her dad at their town plaza, ecstatic and beaming. The little girl was about to participate on an arts contest for their town’s kids.

 

“Dad, can you please call Mrs. Hwang to see if Yeji is already on her way here? The registration booth is about to close”

 

In all her fresh-from-a-run-wait-I’m-still-panting glory, Yeji pulled off to arrive on time.

They were given an hour to draw and color-in a summer-themed poster.

Several minutes and crayon-smudged cheeks later, Jisu was done.

 

“Yeji, aren’t you done yet?”

“I’m about to! Just a little more”

 

Jisu silently giggled upon looking at Yeji’s focused look, perfected by her scrunched eyebrows and little tongue peeking out of . Yeji might be talented in performing arts, but was she really a little not too blessed in the visual arts department

 

Flashing her trademark eye-smile, Yeji said “Okay, finished!”

 

Jisu and Yeji submitted their works, ending up with Jisu as 2nd prize.

“Stop moping there Hwang Yeji. It’s okay. You’re still 1st place for me. Let’s go get you your favorite gummy worms, I don’t think I can stomache your sulking face any longer”

“Your treat? Deal! Race ya to the store Jisu!”

 

 

Watch them glimmer in her eyes
In the darkness of the evening

[17 years old Yeji and Jisu]

 

Prom night is definitely one of the important highlights of a high-schooler’s teenage years. Jisu is not too fond of dances like these though. Brainy-girl Jisu would rather spend her night at home bingeing F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Speaking of friend, where is her special friend Yeji by the way?

 

“Hi Jisu. I’m Soobin, we’re classmates in AP Biology. Mind if I ask you for a dance?”

 

A hand suddenly interrupted Soobin’s musing

“Sorry but I’m her date for tonight” Ah. Hwang Yeji. Right on time. Knight in shining armor indeed.

“Oh, I didn’t know that. Sorry. See you around though”, the poor boy muttered

 

“Who was that snotty boy anyway, Jisu?”

“Said his name was Soobin. Why were you late anyway? Could’ve saved me from energy draining interactions like that”

“Sorry. I had to drop by a florist to get you a corsage. Best prom experience for the best girl ever. Can I wear this on you”?

“Go ahead Hwang. You still need to make it up to me for being annoyingly late”

“May have this dance, mademoiselle?”

 

Yeji held Jisu’s hand, leading her to the dance floor. Lowly dim lights reflecting from the disco ball, hands tangled on waists, and several slow songs after

 

Can I now make it up to you?”

 

Yeji flashed her million-dollar smile before leaning in to capture Jisu’s strawberry-flavored, chapstick-covered lips.

 

Yep. I wanna dance with somebody who loves me, indeed.

 

 

 Oh and I've got all that I need
Right here in the passenger seat

[24 years old Yeji and Jisu]

 

 

Clad in her white tank top, leather jacket, skinny jeans and combat boots, Hwang Yeji made her way through the bar. She and her classmates are celebrating their university graduation. Majoring in Business Administration, it was really a grueling four years for Yeji.

 

“Raise up your boring from that seat and go girl-hunting with me, Yeji”

“I told you I can’t! I have someone I’m waiting for”

“Boo-hoo. Quit resolve. There’s aplenty of girls here,  just make friends with them!!”

“Stop rubbing your -boy persona on me, JiWook!”

“Fine, Jisu must be a one lucky gal, really “

 

Yeji was settled in their booth, amusing herself by watching her JiWook and his drunk- partying hard.

The couch beside her suddenly dipped, along with a soft voice that filled her ears

“Can I interest you with some margarita, hot shot?”

 

Her eyes widened as big as they can. No way. She must’ve been dreaming. There’s no way she’d mistake that voice for someone else’s

 

Looking into the direction of that voice, Yeji smiled

“I’m sorry, my girlfriend is abroad studying. She’s also a graduating student like me. Gotta wait for her though” she snickered

 

“Oh, is that the case? I’m from abroad too. I’m here to look for my girlfriend.”

“You’re so silly, you know?” Yeji giggled

“Only for you. Happy graduation, Yeji-ah. Kinda wanted to surprise you so I didn’t tell you I’ve already landed. I’m here to stay now, Yeji. We can now start our Project: Yeji-Jisu Forever”

 

Oh and I can't keep my eyes on the road
Knowing that she's inches from me

[27 years old Yeji and Lia, Present]

 

Loud voice was booming by their apartment door

“Jisu stop doing your make-up now! You’re already pretty! Never been not! Hurry up or else we’d be caught up in traffic”

“Shut it Hwang, I’m coming!”

 

“Seatbelt on, your Majesty. Did you bring the wedding invitations? Mom’s gonna be excited, I’m sure”

“Yup! Also brought several copies more for Ryu, Chaery, and Yuna”

“You ready? Drive to Jeonju is a little bit long. You can sleep while I’m driving”

“Nah, I’d rather annoy you. And you really had to ask? Of course, I’m ready. Always ready for you”

 

Oh, I really got all that I need, right here in the passenger seat.