Moonlight

Moonlight

Einslee Gabrielle Guzman (Kim Chaewon)
Cassiopeia Eris Montreal (Jang Wonyoung)
Finn Eli Guzman (Yabuki Nako)
Quinn Van Guzman (Honda Hitomi)

...

Cassie was tapping on her desk as she was staring at the math problem in front of her. She was doing her homework when she just had to think about something again, the thing that had been bothering her. Answering math problems were an easy feat for her, it was always a piece of cake for her but now she’s getting trouble even analyzing the thing. She just face palmed as she dropped her head on her table. She had looked on her doorway when someone knocked on the door that was already open. It was her mom, Gale.

“You have a problem?” she asked, Cassie had always been amazed of how her mother could easily tell she has something going on with her mind, That thing that had happened didn’t really bother her at first and she actually thought she did the right thing until one time it just crossed her mind and she started to think about things that would bother her calm thoughts, she tried to get it off her mind but it would always come back to her mind.

Cassie lazily smiled at her mom, “well…” she trailed.

Gale smiled at how Cassie is being hesitant about it, she had always been vocal at what she wanted to tell, and then she tried to guess. “Let me guess” and she acted like she was thinking, “Is this about Gabby?” she asked and Cassie looked at her hurriedly as she was shocked for a second and for another second she went to frown.

“You know about it, mom” she said frowning and Gale grinned at her.

Gale then pulled a chair beside her, “Yes, but I want to hear your side. You know how ‘tipid’ your mama is when she trying to tell a story” she said as she tried to tell that Raven’s not really a good story teller.

Cassie chuckled, everyone knows how Raven isn’t good with words. Thankfully, Cassie didn’t take after her. Cassie then grinned at her mom, “So you’re here for chismis then mom?” she joked and so Gale gave her a stink eye which she just laughed off but after a second she went grim when she thought about what happened again. Gale had to look at her all worried, Cassie and Gabby had never been in an argument in their whole lives, the thing that happened days ago was the first.

Cassie sighed before she started to tell her mom everything that had happened that day.

FLASHBACK.

“Are you really sure ate Gab would allow us to go to the mall at this time? It’s past six?” Finn asked.

Cassie didn’t really mind, “Is Quinn not coming?” Quinn is Finn’s twin sister. They’re the Guzman twins, Gab’s cousins.  They are Clay and Sky’s daughters.

Finn sighed, “No, she told me she had something to do” Finn really thinks it’s not a good idea when Gab already warned them not to, she’s sure her cousin wouldn’t allow them to but Cassie is adamant is wanting to go and no one’s really stopping her unless it’s Gab but seems like Gab was busy with preparing about the University School Festival, she’s the President of the Org.

Cassie snorted as she hailed a taxi, “She’s probably just going to study again”

Finn rolled her eyes, “As if you’re any different” pertaining that Cassie is as studious as her twin, they’re Grade 12 students by the way. Cassie chuckled because it’s true. “But Cassie, we seriously have to tell ate Gab atleast?” Finn tried to convince her but Cassie just gave her a stink eye and she said, “Fine”

Gabrielle had already finished talking to the members of the Org, they bid their goodbyes and after she went to her car. She fished out her phone when and tried to call Cassie but she wasn’t answering her calls and it’s kind of new so she tried to call her dada.

Raven immediately answered after one ring.

“Hello gabby” she said.

“Hi dada, is Cassie home? She’s not answering her phone” she asked.

“Wasn’t she with you? I thought she was with you?” knots formed on Gabby’s forehead, and they were silent for a while. “Gabby?”

She then tracked Cassie’s phone and more knots on her forehead formed when she knew of Cassie’s location, “Mall?” she murmured.

“Mall? What about the mall?” Raven asked.

She almost had forgotten about the phone call, “Sorry dada, I forgot we were supposed to meet at the mall” she alibied.

Raven hummed, “Oh okay, I was nervous for a second. Alright see you later then!” she said, then she ended the phone call.

She set aside her phone and hurriedly went to the where Cassie was.

They were already at the ticket booth when Cassie heard a very familiar voice behind her that she almost had goose bumps, “Cassie” Gab said and it was Finn that turned around and looked at Gab, and at that moment she really did think that it was wrong that they didn’t tell Gab.

“Lee” said Cassie and looked at her. “Why are you here?” Finn looked at her like she asked she just heard the most absurd thing ever. Of course Gab would be there, she wasn’t home and she assumed that Gab had already checked with Raven.

“Let’s go home” Gab said but Cassie didn’t mind her and Gab couldn’t believe what just happened, when did Cassie ever not listen to her. Finn who was between then gulped at she felt that her cousin is about to get mad.

“Cassie” she said again, but Cassie was really set on not paying her any attention. “Let’s go home or else---“

Cassie shot her a glare and Gab was taken aback, “Or else what, Lee?”

Gab recovered fast “Let’s go home, it’s getting late!” she was frustrated at how Cassie was acting that why she kind of shouted.

“Oh please! I’m not a kid anymore!” Cassie shouted back, Finn who was in between them felt the tension and was sweating bullets.

“You’re sixteen, you’re a kid!” Gab answered back, people around them were already looking at them, and Finn had never felt so conscious but she is at that moment.

“No! Oh God please!  Atleast let me breath, you’re suffocating the hell out of me everytime you tell me what I was supposed to do! So please, Lee. Let me breath!” Cassie shouted back breathless and Lee was left speechless, just staring back at her. This was the very first time Cassie had talked back to her. Cassie had shot her one last look before leaving the movie theater as her mood was already spoiled. Finn didn’t know what to do, and was just walking back and forth now knowing who to tend do.

Gab who already had recovered from the shock, “Follow her and Finn please, get her home safe” she told her cousin. Finn slowly nodded and ran to Cassie who wasn’t that far away just yet.

Gab bit her lip as she pushed her hair back, and stared at the marble floor feeling helpless. As she felt conscious of everything, she looked at the people around her and started to apologize for the commotion they just did and right after, she went on her way. She doesn’t like interacting with people, just so you know.

 And right after she got home, she received a text from Raven.

 

When she saw that smiley she thought how stupid her question was so she replied.

 

Gabby was at their Garden, and she felt someone sit beside her. She knew it was Raven without looking. “I’m sorry, Dada” she said quickly as she looked at Raven who stared at her and lazily smiled, didn’t reply. She wanted Gab to take her time, and tell her side of the story on her pace. She then heard Gab sigh as she bit her lip. It’s Rianne’s habit but Gab’s had different meaning of it. She does that when she feels helpless, you’ll know that it’s huge when she pushes back her hair which she just did right after she bit her lip that’s why Raven had her full attention on her. It’s rare that Gab does that, that’s why.

Raven was about to talk when Gab started to tell what happened looking all so gloomy. Raven was silent all along and was also shocked when she heard what happened but she didn’t let Gab see it and she just maintained a neutral reaction as Gab was talking.

“W-was I really that being hard on her that she feels suffocated of me?” She asked as her voice cracked. Raven looked at her worriedly, “I-I just wanted to protect her, dada. W-was I going overboard without me knowing? -----” and she started to ramble as tears continuously flow onto her cheeks.

When Gab was younger, she got really excited of Gale being pregnant. Even before Cassie wasn’t even born yet she would always visit Gale and talk excitedly about her baby bump that Gab almost lived there, Alex would always drop her off at their house just to talk with Gale. They found it really fascinating how she was so interested about Gale’s pregnancy, and when Cassie was born, Gab immediately visited Gale at the hospital to see Cassie. It was then that she probably took into initiative that she’ll be always there for Cassie no matter what even when no one told her to do so. As they grew up, Gab took care of Cassie that she never got into any trouble. Gab made sure of that. They also never got into a fight, never. So that’s why Gab is in so much shock about what just happened earlier.

Raven looked at Gab like she was a kid again, head bowed down crying like she just dropped to the ground with a bruise on her knee, but this one was different. Gab never cried like this, even when she was a kid, she rarely cried, she matured fast than any other of her age you know. But now it feels like this was what she was supposed to be when she was younger. Raven gave her what she can give best at that moment, a hug, a very tight one.

When Gab had settled down from crying, Raven waited for a moment before she started to talk, “I’ll talk to Cassie—” which was immediately cut by Gabby.

“No dada!” she said that abruptly that Raven had to chuckle.

“I’m just going to ask her about something, but not now. I’ll just tell mahal, she’s the expert at talking anyway” Raven then winked at Gabby that she just lazily smiled in return. There was one thing that Gab said that got Raven’s attention that she wanted to ask Gab about it but she decided not to. She decided not to interfere with that. When she really got a good look at Gab she said something, “You’re going to get sick Gabby, you cried a river.” she told. Gab just scratched her head when she heard that. The reason why Gab rarely cries is that she gets seriously sick when she does. They don’t know why, but she just does.

Before Gab opened the door, she looked at Raven who was just right behind her, “Thank you, Dada” she said that Raven stared at her and slowly smiled. Words weren’t really needed between the two of them, they have a deep understanding of each other that they’d know what the other was thinking, their connection was real deep that Alex had always been jealous about it, and he was really vocal about it that Gabby would just always laugh at her dad. Gab smiled back and went ahead.

Both of them hate hearing goodbye’s that’s why they didn’t each other that, instead they just smiled at each other. As Gab went to her room, it was Gwyn who went out that she just knew that Raven visited. She didn’t know kasi it was their kasambahay that opened the door for Raven. Raven told them not to bother telling Gwyn and Alex that she was around.

“Raven?”

“Hello, ate Gwyn” she said as she was about to leave. “I was just about to leave. I just talked to my panganay” she said which caused Gwyn to chuckle.

“Don’t ever let Alex hear that” she told her jokingly and then she let Raven go on her way.

The other day, Gab got sick just like Raven told her.

END OF FLASHBACK

“… That’s what happened” Cassie said in a very low voice and then she looked at her mom and asked, “mom? Was I harsh on Lee?” she asked.

Gale smiled at her, “Was that a question for me or was that a question for yourself, Cassie?” she asked. 

Seriously, mom knows me well. She thought to herself.

“I really thought on the earlier days that I was going to be fine not seeing Lee, but now I just feel weird not even hearing her voice. I’m afraid she’s mad at me” she said the last words as if she just tasted something bitter on her tongue. She didn’t like the sound of it.

Gale Cassie’s hair as she was saying, “Gabby would never get mad at you, Cassie” she said like she was so sure Cassie had to ask.

“How sure of you about that, mom?” she frowned.

Gale smiled at her, “I just know” but Cassie still was frowning. “Don’t stress yourself Cassie, you still have a prom night to attend later remember?” Oh yeah prom, she thought. She almost had forgotten about it. She nodded but then she remembered how Gab promised her that she one day when it’s time for her senior prom, she’d be there. She frowned again.

“Why is my little girl frowning again?” Gale asked. Little girl, hmm she missed being called that and it has been a while since she last heard that.

She just tried to shrug the thought off and told her mom, “never mind me mom, you still have work right?” she said shooing her mom.

“alright Cassie, we’d be home just in time to drive you to the prom” she said as she gave her daughter a bear hug.

Just right after her mom went out of her door, she stared at nothing as thoughts flowed again inside her mind. If she had something she got Raven, it’s her tendencies to keep everything inside and tell no one about it even to the closest person she is to until she’s ready to tell.

“Why are you getting ready?” Gwyn asked her daughter wearing the dark hoodie she got from Raven.

“I- I’ll go drive Cassie to her prom” she told her mom who just stared at her.

“You’re still sick, you know?” she told her.

She stared back, “I know but I promised her ma, I’m a normal person I break promises too but I don’t break the ones I’ve promised Cassie” she told her mother that got Gwyn taken aback.

Gwyn then nodded slowly, “alright, does your Dada know?” she asked.

She then heard Gabby chuckle, “Yes ma, we had a seriously long talk out of nowhere” and now it was Gwyn’s turn to laugh. “I’m done” she told her mother who then gave a smile.

“What time will you come home?” her mother asked.

“What time does proms finish ma?” she shot back. Gab didn’t attend to her senior prom by the way.

“Drive safe then” her mom reminded her and so she nodded. She kissed her mom on the cheek before going on her way.

As soon as Gab arrived at the Montreal residence, Gale smiled at her and gave her a hug while Raven gave her a stink eye but she laughed it off, “Mimi, please tell Dada off” she told Gale which made Gale laugh and tap the cheek of her betrothed.

“I didn’t tell her you’re driving her by the way, she’s expecting us to drive her” said Raven to her which she replied with a nod.

Gale then shouted, “Cassie! Come down now, what are you being so slow for? Are you getting ready for someone?!” said Gale that made Gab’s brows shut up, and that did not escape Raven’s eyes but she didn’t say anything.

“I’m coming! And to answer that stupid question---” she forgot what she was going to say when she saw Gab. “---Uhmm, No.” she continued as she looked at Gab.

“Gab will drive you to your prom, now come down young lady” said Raven and so she nodded and went down to the stairs.

 They weren’t really talking particularly as they went on their way after Gale and Raven talked to them, “Will they be fine?” Gale asked.

“I don’t know mahal, do you think they will?” said Raven but her tone was more of her telling, “Are you sure of your question mahal?”  that Gale had to roll her eyes at her. Raven chuckled as Gale pinched her cheeks.

“Ang annoying mo talaga kapag sure na sure ka!” said Gale to her but Raven chuckled again as she stole a quick kiss.

They were silent all throughout the ride until they arrived to their destination, After Gab parked her car they walked to the venue and when they were about to go inside, Gab stopped on her tracks that Cassie stopped  to, and she naturally ask a question. “You’re not coming?” she asked naturally like they’re really on speaking term already.

Gab stared at her and smiled timidly as she shook her head, “No, go ahead and Have fun Eris”

“Eris… huh” she kind of malfunction at the sound of her name, No one calls her that. Not that she doesn’t like it, it’s just that it’s only Gab’s to speak of. Everyone knows it, it’s like an unspoken rule.  

“O-okay” she said as she turned her back at her even before Gab could see her reddening face.

Right after Cassie left, it was the twins turn to arrive. Finn looked at her conspicuously, “weren’t you supposed to be sick ate Gab?” she asked.

“I still am, look at what I’m wearing” she said, she had a hoodie and a jacket on but Quinn butted on.

“That’s your usual ate?” if it was Finn that talked Gab would have smacked her but Quinn’s question was more of an innocent question that a mocking one like Finn would’ve done.

Gab stared at her cousin who looked back at her, Finn chuckled. “You’re not coming in?” she asked.

Gab looked at her, “Do I look like I want to?” face that Finn shrugged.

“Alright ate, see you later/see you later” said Finn and Quinn at the same time, “Huh, twins” she thought and she nodded.

Finn now is talking to Cassie who was obviously bored as of the moment or she’s just frowning about something.

“Weren’t you excited about the senior prom?” she asked.

“She was but obviously not anymore, Finn” Quinn uttered as she was reading the book on her hands.

Knots formed on Finn’s forehead as she looked at her twin, “Why do you have a book right now? Like you’re reading right now?” not believing what her twin was doing.

 Quinn even showed the book at her, “Greek mythology is interesting, you should read it too” she told Finn who actively declined as she’s more of a movie person that a book person obviously.

Cassie let out a heavy sigh that Finn and Quinn looked at her as she slowly stood up, “Where are you going?” Finn asked.

“Just outside” she told them, “Hey it’s cold outside” said Quinn but Cassie was already on her way.

Just like the usual, Gab was sitting on a bench at the garden she found at the venue. She sneezed and then she sniffed afterwards, she’s still sick afterall.

“Are you sick?” said the voice nearing her.

She looked back at the person who was frowning as she sat down beside her. She sneezed again when she finally sat down, and with that Cassie’s frown got more visible.

“Weren’t you supposed to be inside? enjoying?” said Gab as she wore her facemask that she didn’t like to wear but she needed to or else Cassie will be sick if she wouldn’t.

Cassie was still frowning that Gab is kind of irritated to see that, “Should be but you’re annoying” said Cassie that it was Gab’s turn to frown.

“Me? What did I do now?” she said abruptly but Cassie kept mum, well more of hesitating.

“I didn’t see you the fast few days and it’s kind of annoying because I got used to seeing you almost every second of my life” she mumbled so fast but thankfully Gab has a good hearing.

Gab stared at her, and she chuckled afterwards at how serious Cassie was when she said that with that annoyed expression on her face. Cassie frowned, “Sorry, I didn’t know you could be this serious. Well I already saw it once last week” she said as she shrugged.

Cassie’s frown went to a more soft expression, an apologetic look, “I’m sorry” she said so sincere that Gab wanted to take back what she said.

Gab smiled fondly at her as she looked up to see the stars. “No, you don’t really have to. I mean, you probably need to tell more of your side and I need to probably let loose of you, you were right you’re not the same kid I was used to protecting, not the same little girl who I always kept away from trouble. You’re already at the age where you want more of freedom and I’m sorry for keeping that from you” she told her. “But of course, If you’ll ever need me. You can always call me, I’d ditch everything in a second just for you, You’re Eris afteral” and she smiled to her, and at that moment tears from Cassie’s eyes started to flow that Gab was baffled. “Cassie, w-wait. W-wh--” lol she didn’t know what to do.

“I hate you!” said Cassie to her not because she does but because of what she said. “I thought you were mad at me! I saw none of you that past few days that you were mostly what I was thinking of!” she told Gab her frustrations which made Gab just stare at her.

Gab started to chuckle when she processed what she heard, “I was sick, didn’t Dada tell you? She even gave me a lengthy lecture I was amazed to know she could talk that much” she told Cassie who was now sniffing.

“No, no one told me” she told Gab, but Gab was still kind of amused.

 “but you know what?” said Gab.

“What?”

“you have to remember that I would never get mad at you, but if ever I will, I’ll tell you then so we’d have time to sort it out. I don’t like staying mad that long after all, it’s a pain in the ” she shivered even just thinking about it.

They stayed for a while as they talked just about the small things until Cassie told Gab she already wanted to go home because she just wants to sleep after being exhausted mentally because of her, Gab scratched her head as she heard that.

As they arrived home, Cassie was walking first and then she stopped to face Gab. “You said I can call you if I need you right?” she asked.

Gab nodded, “Yes, and I’ll be there in a jiffy” she replied.

“Then I’ll call you every second, Lee” she said so serious that once again, Gab had to stare back at her.

Gab snickered, “Yes, fine I’ll look forward to it, Eris” and then they both started to laugh under the moonlight that acted as the spotlight between two main characters of a story that is beginning to unfold.

No matter how you’d get tired of someone’s presence, you will and always will miss it.

That’s why you always have to treasure what you have now. Conflicts might arise but like what people always say. It’s a part of life.

Well, what’s important is that you and the other person have a concrete understanding of each other, not just yours or not just his/hers when it’s time to decide on what to do. Communication is a two way thing after all.

 

THE END.

 

Hi, been a while! 

tell me what you think about it :)