1st.

Paws up in the Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Click for a song to listen to while reading this chapter: Melted by Akdong Musician

 

For a new life, the perception of the world is never pre-determined. Good or evil, happy or sad, fortunate or not, these are all learned while growing up. A young being, who is just brought upon this world, bears no knowledge of the sides of the coins the world has.

 

They call it innocence, purity - an empty vessel.

 

But I happen to believe that from the moment I was born, I was meant to see the world for how cruel it can be.

 

It was cold and misty, thanks to the first early morn that greeted me. The scent of the womb that gave birth to me was the only reassurance that I clutched on to, thinking that I shall soon be carried home safe.

 

It took several hours to pass and for her scent to slowly fade before it finally dawned on me, that I was left behind. I was left here to die.

 

I laid there crying for what seemed like forever when a new face blocked the bright blue heavens that have now turned dark.

 

He peered down at me, told me to quit yapping, for it will not give me anything. However, that only made me cry louder. He cradled me to his warmth and told me, you will survive. I will teach you.

 

He named me Sky.

 

 

Many years have passed and a lot has happened since then. More and more high infrastructures fill the city, the gaps between the rich and the poor stretch painstakingly wide, and chasing dreams is now a luxury when one’s survival is still a big question.

 

But there is no need to fret. The city may have changed - but so have I.

 

"Come back, you thief!" The old fish vendor yells angrily behind me as I scurry past the busy market with his merchandise trapped with my sharp teeth.

 

I am an expert climber and I contest to only the really good ones around this block so when I clambered up to the 3-meter brick wall, the big man chasing me can do nothing but merely fume and throw rocks at me.

 

One hit me right on the shoulder and my leg skidded past the edge, almost dropping the meat I took from him.

 

I hissed at him with a turn of my head and moved forward until I was no longer in sight. It wasn't entirely my fault. If the vendor focused on his sales more than that woman with a very short skirt back in the market, then I would not be biting his catch right now.

 

Trick or be tricked. Welcome to my world.

 

I know the path to safety is far from my grasp. The alleys are ruthless because of the watchers. They are the worst of us. They do not work for food. They merely wait for a long being to stumble on their trap. They would gather in groups and would gang up on anyone that they believe are weaker than them.

 

As expected, there they are, waiting for me.

 

Three - no, four ragged watchers were there as soon as I settled on a damp alley to feed my famished self.

 

That's ours, one said as they circle me.

 

I growl. Come and get it then.

 

It is a nasty fight and one I can barely win. They are weaker than I, but there are four of them. Victory leans on their side when one scratches me across one of my hind legs - Or so we all thought.

 

Having a blast without me, I see.

 

Oh, , it's Mino! One declared with a quivering voice, and we all looked over the looming figure.

 

Is it his brash look, the scar across his left eye, the malice on his right, or the malevolent hunched stance that he is known for that made the watchers disperse pathetically? I could not tell as I am busy catching my breath and nursing my bleeding leg.

 

You look horrible, Sky. His hoarse voice bears power even of his age.

 

Like you are any better. You're gray and old. No suburban mom would take you now. Dragging my injured leg, I check the meat they have left behind. Still good.

 

I'm gray and old, yet you still needed my help. You haven't changed at all. Weak.

 

I hissed at him and lunged forward. He easily pushes me with his sturdy head, sending me rolling back on the ground. Weak. He repeated as some sort of confirmation.

 

Our gazes lock and he smirks, it's good to see you, child. Eat your food, I'll keep watch.

 

I tell him to go away but Mino never listens to anyone, not even me. So I let him be.

 

I heard you have another bunch of kids from one of your new ? I ask even if I do not care much. If it hits a nerve, then I shall have my satisfaction.

 

My sharp teeth gnash on the fresh meat and tore it away from its bones while my ears

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter