Chapter 4

Shock to the System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s been almost four months since Chorong told Eunji they could be friends. 

 

What started off innocently as weekly meetings in the park to walk and play soccer quickly became so much more. It became Eunji coming over for dinner and to watch soccer games with Hayoung. It became Eunji going with them to museums and buying Hayoung overpriced souvenirs. It became them going to Eunji’s for movie night because she has a nicer TV and a popcorn machine (that she still denies she bought specifically for Hayoung). 

 

It’s become so much more than Chorong ever thought it would be, and she doesn’t know where to draw the line because with every day they spend with Eunji, the more she falls for the other woman. 

 

Of course, when their friendship first began, Chorong had been hurt and embarrassed that she thought she had a chance with Eunji, but she got over it quickly enough. It was just a crush, she told herself. She didn’t really know Eunji anyways. But now, after months of Eunji creeping into every bit of her life, Chorong can safely say she knows her and she’s halfway in love with her. 

 

There’s no going back now. Not when every day when she picks Hayoung up from school, her daughter will ask if Eunji will be over today, and if she isn’t, can she call her? Not when Hayoung still squeals every time she plays soccer with Eunji. And most selfishly, not when Chorong feels her heart flutter every time Eunji smiles at her. As much as she doesn’t want to admit it, Chorong is in too deep. 

 

This thought crosses her mind again as she watches Eunji lift Hayoung into the air before dropping into the pile of leaves they spent the last fifteen minutes collecting. Chorong can’t help but smile as the two of them laugh and kick around the leaves. The two of them were playing soccer for an hour, working up a thin sheen of sweat on both of their faces before they decided to play with the leaves instead.

 

“Mom, for you!” Hayoung yells, running over to where she’s sitting with her untouched book. She excitedly throws a handful of leaves at her, and Chorong appropriately acts amazed. She grabs Hayoung around her waist and pulls her into her lap, pressing a kiss to her cheek. 

 

Chorong looks up at Eunji as she joins them, heart stopping for a moment when Eunji lifts the hem of her shirt to dab at her forehead. Part of Chorong wrinkles her nose at how unhygienic that is, but it gets drowned out by the part of Chorong that has her eyes glued to the glimpse of Eunji’s abs before the shirt falls back into place. 

 

“Are we still making cookies?” Hayoung asks as she squirms around to get comfortable.

 

“Yes, after lunch,” Chorong says, snapping her gaze back to her daughter. “We have to wait for the dough to get cold enough.”

 

Hayoung nods and looks at Eunji, who’s standing over them now. “Are you gonna bake with us?” Hayoung asks.

 

“Not this time, kid,” Eunji says as she sits down beside Chorong. Her arm is warm as it brushes against Chorong’s. She reaches out and ruffles Hayoung’s already messy hair. “I have a team meeting this afternoon. If you want though, you can come over for dinner and bring me some of your awesome cookies for dessert.”

 

“Are we ordering food?” Hayoung asks, knowing that’s usually what happens when they eat at Eunji’s.

 

“I won’t have time to cook, so yes,” Eunji says, and Chorong can’t help but roll her eyes. Eunji never cooks unless Chorong is there to help her. She’s pretty sure that Eunji’s fridge usually just consists of beers and frozen meals when she knows they aren’t coming over. “What do you want for dinner, Hayoung?”

 

Hayoung makes a face as she thinks, dramatically tapping her chin. It makes Chorong roll her eyes again while Eunji smiles. After a short pause, Hayoung breaks out into a wide grin and says, “Pasta! Can we get that super cheesy one like last time?”

 

“Only the cheesiest for you,” Eunji nods seriously.

 

“Thanks!” Hayoung says happily. She turns to Chorong and asks, “Lunch time now?”

 

“Are you never not thinking about food?” Chorong asks.

 

The double negative stalls Hayoung for a moment before she shrugs and says, “Food.”

 

“Food,” Eunji repeats with a dutiful nod, even as she’s grinning. “Let’s go see what your mom made for us.” She stands and scoops Hayoung up from Chorong’s lap. She blows a raspberry against Hayoung’s cheek, making her shriek, before setting her down. Hayoung runs inside, calling over her shoulder that she’s going to wash her hands and grab utensils for them. Eunji replies her thanks then holds her hands out to Chorong, who only raises an eyebrow at her. “What?” Eunji says, smiling innocently. “I’m just offering to help you out. No raspberries, I promise.”

 

Chorong barely holds back a smile as she takes Eunji’s hands. She lets Eunji pull her onto her feet, but she gasps a little when Eunji pulls her too close. Her hands grab onto Eunji’s shoulders, partially for balance but also to keep some sort of distance between them. It’s still not enough though, their faces just a few inches apart. Chorong doesn’t move away, but neither does Eunji. They stay there, staring at each other. Chorong wonders what Eunji would do if she leaned in.

 

“Mom, I’m hungry!” Hayoung shouts from inside the house.

 

Her voice startles them apart. Chorong all but trips over herself trying to get away. While Eunji runs a hand through her hair, Chorong smooths out her clothes. Both of them don’t look at each other. Chorong tries to stop her heart from beating so fast, but it’s hard. This is far from the first time she and Eunji have had a moment like that, and every time it gets harder to remember why Chorong doesn’t just kiss her.

 

“Mooom!”

 

Right, that’s why.

 

Chorong starts to head inside when she notices Eunji doesn’t follow. She hesitates at the door, looking back at the other woman.

 

“I’ll be right in,” Eunji says. “I just need to…” She fumbles with her pockets for a moment and says, “I need to make a call.”

 

“Right,” Chorong nods. She doesn’t head in immediately. She bites lip and debates over whether she should say something or not. Maybe they should just clear the air. However, when Chorong turns around again, Eunji is already on the phone. Sighing under her breath, Chorong tells herself she’ll talk to her later.

 

“Where’s Eunji?” Hayoung asks when Chorong walks into the kitchen. She’s carefully pouring three glasses of water, tongue sticking out in concentration.

 

“On the phone,” Chorong answers as she pats Hayoung’s head. She picks up two of the cups and lets Hayoung carry the last one over to the table. “She’ll be right in.”

 

Hayoung accepts this easily and clambers into her chair, fingers drumming on the table as she watches Chorong serve three bowls of rice and stew. When Chorongs brings out a few side dishes, Hayoung quickly gets up to bring them over to the table. It makes Chorong smile and drop a kiss on the top of her head. 

 

By the time Eunji comes in, everything is set out and ready. She smiles as she sits down, saying, “You didn’t have to wait.”

 

“Mom says it’s rude to start without everyone,” Hayoung tells her. She wiggles a little in her seat and adds, “But I’m glad you didn’t take too long.”

 

“Then let’s eat,” Eunji laughs.

 

As kids usually do, Hayoung dominates the conversation during lunch. It’s kind of amazing how she never runs out of things to say, especially to Eunji. Today, she regals Eunji with stories about her time at school this week. Apparently, Hayoung’s gym class played soccer, and she was easily the best player. It makes both Eunji and Chorong smile, but it’s Eunji who asks if Hayoung used any of the techniques she showed her. This sets off Hayoung again as she complains about how some of them are so hard.

 

Whenever Hayoung finishes eating, she drops off her dishes in the sink and goes to play with her toys until it’s time to bake the cookies. A part of Chorong is surprised because Hayoung usually clings to Eunji whenever she’s around, but another part of her realizes that Eunji is probably around enough nowadays that Hayoung doesn’t feel the need to anymore.

 

“I’ll wash and you rinse?” Eunji suggests as they carry the rest of the bowls and plates to the sink.

 

“Sounds good,” Chorong nods.

 

It’s almost uncomfortably domestic to be standing side-by-side with Eunji as they do the dishes with Hayoung just in the other room. It makes Chorong’s heart clench at how badly she wants this to be an everyday thing. 

 

“What’s on your mind?” Eunji asks. She smiles when Chorong looks at her sharply and explains, “When you’re thinking really hard, you bite on your cheek.”

 

Chorong realizes she’s doing exactly as Eunji says and releases her cheek immediately. She blushes and looks down at the dishes she’s rinsing. “I was just thinking… It’s nice having you around,” Chorong says, choosing her words carefully. She doesn’t want to say too much and scare Eunji off.

 

“Hey,” Eunji says. She bumps her shoulder against Chorong’s and waits until she’s looking at her before she says, “I like being around.” She smiles, and as if that wasn't devastating enough, she leans forward and brushes the lightest of kisses against Chorong’s temple. “Where else would I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter