Drown

Until the Earth Ceases to Revolve Around the Sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Waffle-maker Wendy. 

Irene is beginning to enjoy incorporating alliterations when coming up with nicknames for Wendy. 

It turns out skipping classes isn't a dumb move after all. Her brain's still working in full gear. It's even making her right brain work doubly harder than usual - she's been brainstorming different adjectives to add on to Wendy's growing list of nicknames.

Her eyes slide towards Wendy who's standing behind the counter. How is it possible for Wendy to only appear now in her life?

Don't get her wrong, Irene has no intentions of pursuing Wendy romantically. 

She's well aware of the risk that comes when she gets emotionally invested in a person, so she knows she has to drawn the line before such boundary is overstepped.

For Wendy's safety.

And her own sanity.

Irene has learnt over the years to not get attached. No one will permanently stay in her life. That's why death takes place.

And to those who have left her on their accord, Irene has come to accept that some people in her life are destined to leave, to allow her to grow. They're not meant to stay with her, they come into her lives, bringing along life lessons for her to learn.

That's just it.

That is why we should stop clinging onto the past, and the people who are no longer in our lives. They have done their part to help us in our development, be it emotionally or mentally. These people, the ones who leave, they allow us to reach our potential. Quit focusing on their departure, rather, focus on the growth that we've achieved. We'll learn to see the bigger picture, when we realise how far we can go despite all the adversities befalling upon us. 

Maybe at the moment, you will struggle. Unable to come to terms. The heart aches for months, and for some, years. One day you think you're over it, and the next you crumble.

The cycle repeats. 

It gets exhausting for Irene. To be in the perpetual cycle of the struggle.

While it has slowly been getting better as the years go by, that doesn't mean there hasn't been days where Irene is a slit away from ending her life.

But she cannot discount her efforts for trying over the years.

"So you haven't told me why I am your cup of tea," Wendy says, placing two plates of waffles on the table. She sits opposite Irene. Since the cafe isn't set to open until half an hour later, she has taken up Irene's offer of having waffles together for breakfast. 

"You're pleasing to the human eye."

"So I'm good-looking then?" Wendy probes, as she continues to savour her waffles. 

"That's right."

"Is that your basis for liking someone? Physical attraction?"

"Of course. If you're not a pretty enough, you wouldn't catch my attention."

"Superficial, aren't you Irene?"

"I am unabashedly so. But hey, is it my fault for wanting to have a good view of things that catch my attention?" Irene allows herself to complete chewing and swallowing the waffle. She then proceeds, "When we travel we want to see pretty scenery, we don't travel to see polluted places and slums, do we?"

Irene has a valid point, and so Wendy nods in agreement. They continue to eat in silence. 

"Do you watch It's Okay Not to Be Okay?" Irene asks, starting a new topic of discussion between the two. 

"Yes I do, as a matter of fact."

"Good. Say, Ko Mun Yeong isn't pretty to look at, do you think Kangtae would have batted an eyelid at her and tolerated her bull?"

"I guess he won't," Wendy replies, then thinks further. "But they were friends."

"Well, if you're the viewer, will you be turned off by Mun Yeong's attitude if she's ugly then?"

Wendy stops to mull over Irene's question. 

Irene doesn't wait for an answer. She is eager to share her views on such things with Wendy, because she knows Wendy will understand her perspective. "The viewers pity her because she's pretty despite her problematic attitude. She's pretty so all other psychotic acts of her, the viewers find them tolerable and endearing. If she was ugly, do you think the viewers will want to continue watching the show even if it touches on important topics like mental health issues and developmental disorders?"

Wendy stops eating, and looks at Irene. "Share with me your views, I'm liking the direction of your discussion."

A small chuckle escapes Irene's mouth. Wendy has a way with her, and Irene is very much enjoying the companionship. She puts her cutlery down and wipes with the paper towel. To clear , she sips on the cup of water. "The viewers merely sympathise with the characters who have mental issues, on a superficial level. Do you think if that show was brought into reality, people would have cared as much about those who are struggling?"

"Well, the show is trying to increase awareness of mental illness. I guess viewers will be more empathethic when such scenes are reflected in real life situations."

"There's a reason why shows can never truly reflect reality," Irene counters, shaking her head in disagreement with Wendy's response. "Maybe viewers can relate with some characters. But it stops there."

Wendy begs to differ. Irene's coming off as pretty critical of the society. "Don't you think you're giving too little credit to the producers for wanting to create awareness in relation to such a fragile theme? Also, don't you think you're disregarding the human ability to unlearn and relearn for the betterment of society?"

Irene frowns. Wendy has a point. The part-timer is starting to sound a lot like Mino, and Irene isn't entirely sure if that is a good or bad thing. She does however appreciate alternative views so she has to give it to Wendy for raising logical points. "Hmm, yeah I guess I am. But I myself am superficial. I'll watch anything that has hot women in them."

" too?" Wendy says in a joking manner. 

It is impossible to not smile while conversing with Wendy. Somehow she's always saying smart things, and it impresses Irene.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter