Survival

Until the Earth Ceases to Revolve Around the Sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Life is all just about survival for Irene, not so much living.

She eats for energy to get through her day.

She sleeps to recharge in order to get through the next day.

To her, consistency is key to survival. Any disruptions to her routine would irk her.

Maybe she is a tad too predictable. But predictability is good. Behind every predictability is a calculated move. Calculated moves make her feel she's in control. That she's prepared.

And if you're prepared for anything, then there's nothing to fear.

Everyday she boards the bus to school. Sometimes she drives. But most of the time she prefers to take public transport, just so that she doesn't have to drive.

Driving can be tiring if you have to put up with terrible drivers on the road.

Sometimes they get on her nerves so much that she ends up tailgating and honking at them to warn them how pissed they've made her.

Not the smartest move on her side, but she thinks dumb drivers shouldn't be given the chance to be behind the wheels. And that should be made explicitly known to them. Whichever myopic fool of an instructor decided to pass them and hand them the license to be idiots on the road.

 

In school, Irene socialises. She isn't much of a social butterfly though. She just mixes around with some friends, to kill time in between classes.

Basically, she's normal - in everyone's eyes. No one would have known the internal battles she has been fighting.

Then again, don't we all have our own battles to fight?

"Irene, we're going to catch a movie later, Peninsula. You wanna come along?" Joy asks, despite knowing fully well what Irene's reply would be.

"I'll give it a pass."

Joy just nods, respecting Irene's decision. Very rarely would Irene hang out with the group after school. They have exhausted all means to persuade her.

Irene is stubborn. She is even harder to please.

In classes, Irene blends in with the background. But that is not to say she's invisible. People admire her quietly. They know she has quite a temper. In group projects, she often has the final say. It isn't all bad though. Being in a group with her is the golden ticket to receiving an A grade.

"I have useless group mates, but at least they trust me enough to let me do things my way. I give them the A anyway despite the stupid ideas they have."

That is what Irene says to Joy whenever she's assigned to groups with members that lack calibre. Irene has a sharp eye when it comes to detecting the capabilities of a person. She has been trained to do so since young.

Joy is trustworthy. She would never spill the beans, which is why Irene is closest to her within their group. Seulgi, Yeri and Jennie are part of the group too.

Seulgi is like an empty can. Sometimes when she speaks she doesn't think. She is a person of no substance although she is one of the nicest person Irene has ever crossed paths with.

Yeri is a blabber mouth. She talks all the time. Sometimes she struggles to keep secrets too. She enjoys gossiping and would often tell the group about all kinds of dirty secrets she's heard that have been circulating around in school.

And then there's Jennie. Jennie is just... well Jennie. She's vain. Sometimes a bit of an airhead. But endearing. Still lovable.

 

Once school is done, Irene would take the same bus back home. She will drop her things off at home, have a quick lunch and shower.

Every Thursday, she will head out to the same destination.

Today happens to be that day.

For this particular destination, Irene would usually take her car to drive.

And so she did.

 

"Have you seen her?"

"Seen who?"

"The pretty volunteer," Jisoo gushes. "If she's here everyday I'll keep coming here everyday."

"That's dumb as hell, Jisoo. No idiot would want to waste ti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter