Lifetime

Lifetime

Was there a lifetime waiting for us in a world where I was yours?

“Hi. I'm Wendy.” She introduced herself, and so Seulgi did the same, saying her name. Wendy’s voice was symphony to Seulgi’s ears. And her smile, she knew right there and then she was a goner.

“Are you really going to do this?” Irene asked Seulgi. The latter smiled. But Irene noticed how that smile- happiness, didn't even reached her eyes. “Of course. I wouldn’t fly from Seoul to Canada if I wasn’t sure.” Seulgi replied. Irene could only sigh.

Glimpse of me and you. Oh, you were a good dream.

“Happy Birthday, Seungwan-ah!” Seulgi said as she gave the gift she made. “Oh, Seulgi. You shouldn't have!” Wendy said, smiling and giggling. Seulgi just smiled. Wendy carefully began peeling the wrapper. “You can just tear it apart, you know.” Seulgi teased. “Shut up, you. Let me be.” Wendy said, laughing. But she began to be impatient and tore the wrapper apart.

Seulgi got scared when she saw Wendy’s reaction, or lack thereof. Wendy stared at the gift. She didn’t didn't know what to say. “Seulgi.. I..” she stuttered. “This is beautiful!” Wendy mumbled. Wendy doesn't even know why, but her eyes began watering. “This is so beautiful.” She said, looking at Seulgi. “I only painted what I see, Seungwan.” She replied, smiling at her. “There's no way I am this pretty.” “But you are.”

Wendy looked at the painting once more. It was her. Seulgi gifted a painting of her. It was when they went to Jeju Island. Wendy was seated on the grass, amidst the beautiful Cherry Blossom trees.

“Seulgi?” Someone called, it was Yeri. “Hey.” She greeted. “I've been calling you, but I guess you were spacing out.” She replied. “You okay?” She asked. Seulgi nodded. “Yeah. Today's the big day.” Seulgi said, not daring to look at Yeri. She looked at the sight Seulgi was staring at. Cherry Blossom trees. “You gonna be okay?” Yeri asked. “Of course, Yeri. Thank you.” She said, finally looking at Yeri now.

I was scared to lose you then. But secrets turn into regrets.

“You should tell her.” Irene said. “I can't.” Seulgi replied. “Why?” The older asked. “I'm scared to lose her. I can't lose her.” Seulgi replied. “She's obviously into you as well! The only person dumb enough not to see it is the two of you!” Irene stated. “Well, I think you're wrong.” Seulgi said, looking at Wendy and Joy.

Buried feelings grow. Oh, you were a good dream.

Seulgi felt a pat on her shoulder. It was Joy. “Hey, Joy.” She greeted. There was an awkward silence between them. “Seulgi, I-” “If you're gonna say that you're sorry and all that crap, keep it. I'm really happy for you, Joy.” Seulgi said. “I know. I just.. I know you've liked her since the day you met.” Joy stated. “I did. I did liked her. But it's all in the past now. I've moved on.” Seulgi replied. Liar. Seulgi said to herself. Joy smiled before nodding. “You ready?” Seulgi asked. “Of course.” Joy replied. “I bet your palm is sweaty as hell.” Seulgi joked. “It's like a freaking faucet.” Joy replied. The two laughed.

Tangled with another's eyes. Never mind, you were never mine.

Seulgi stood far from the crowd. It was Wendy’s engagement party. Her eyes met Seulgi's. Wendy smiled, she did the same. Wendy excused herself and walked towards Seulgi. “What are you doing back here?” She asked. “Just a little bit overwhelmed.” Seulgi replied. “Right. You were never fond of parties.” Wendy replied. Seulgi smiled. “What are you doing here? You should be out there.” Seulgi stated. “I couldn't leave my best friend alone here, now can I?” Wendy said, looking at Seulgi smiling. Seulgi stared at her, tempted to confess. But it's too late. She’s engaged. And Wendy was never hers. Never will be.

Was it the wrong time? What if we tried giving in a little more?

It was minutes before Wendy’s wedding when she called for Seulgi. And there she was, looking so beautiful in her wedding dress. “Hey, Seungwan.” Seulgi greeted, giving her a hug. “Hey, Seulgi.” Wendy said. “You called. You okay?” She asked. “Yeah. I'm fine. Just nervous.” She stated. “Well, you should see Joy. She's about to her pants.” Seulgi joked, which made Wendy laugh. “Well, I hope she doesn't! I don't wanna get married to her smelling like .” Wendy joked back.

“Seulgi?” “Hmm?” “I wanna thank you.” Wendy said. “For what?” Seulgi asked, looking at her. “For being my bestfriend. You've been with me since high school. And now here I am, finally getting married. It's been years, and somehow, you're still here. You never left. So, thank you.” Wendy started. “Just like what they say, that's what friends are for, right?” She replied.

“Also, you know, before Joy.. It was you.” She continued. “What do you mean?” Seulgi asked. Her heart pounding. “I loved you for 5 years, Seulgi. But I was so scared of losing you and what we have, so I didn't confess. And then I met Joy.” Wendy confessed. Seulgi stared at her. She doesn't know what to say. She felt angry and betrayed. Not with Wendy, but the world. Fate. Destiny.

All those years Wendy was hers. Seulgi was Wendy’s. But none of them were brave enough to say something. Both of them were scared. Cowards.

Seulgi composed herself and smiled, “Things happened for a reason. Destiny, fate, probably knew I wasn't the one for you. They probably knew we were just meant to be best friends, that I'd stay in your life longer as a friend. And I'll forever be grateful for them that they didn't let us ruin what we have.”

Wendy sighed in relief. “For a second there I thought you were angry at me!” Seulgi furrowed her brows, “Why would I be?” She asked. “I just assumed you were, because you weren't reacting or saying anything.” Wendy replied. “I would never get angry at you.” “Yeah, I beg to disagree on that one. I remember how you got so mad at me when I skipped one, just one, class in college.” Wendy said. “To be fair, you told me to wait for you after that class. And I waited for 2 hours and you didn't even message me.” Seulgi replied. “Yeah, I forgot I was with Joy that time.” Wendy reminisced. “Yeah..”

The two of them remained silent. Before Seulgi broke it, “I'm very happy for you. I'm glad you found Joy.” He said. “Well, I wouldn't have met her if it wasn't for you. She was your childhood friend after all.” Wendy said. Seulgi squeezed Wendy’s hand. “It's almost time.” She said. “Yeah, you should probably head back. Yeri’s probably annoying the crap out of Joy.” Wendy said. “For sure. Congratulations, Seungwan.” She said, walking towards the door.

All this time, I have been yours.

“Seulgi?” Wendy called. “Yeah?” She said, looking back at Wendy, her hand resting on the doorknob. “Thank you. I love you.” Wendy said. She smiled, “I know. I love you.”

 

Seulgi left Wendy’s room, knowing well she wouldn't have her anymore. Knowing well that she won't really get everything that she want, even if it's the one she wanted the most.

She left, knowing that Wendy will be happy for a lifetime. Even if she won't be spending that lifetime with her.

 

FIN.