happy

green is definitely not the warmest colour

 Red.

 

That’s what Chaeyoung sees when her eyes catch BTS’s V gently laying his hand on Jennie’s shoulder as they shared a hearty laugh over something.

 

Chaeyoung rolls her eyes subtly. At least she thought it was subtle. But the woman standing in front of her raises her eyebrow as she catches Chaeyoung’s odd reaction. The woman’s eyes follow Chaeyoung’s line of sight, curious as to what prompted Chaeyoung to react so aggressively. Her gaze finally settles on Jennie & V talking amicably in the corner, away from the hustling & bustling of the backstage crew of the award show. 

 

Realisation dawns on her. Ah, jealousy.

 

Rosé?” The woman gently nudges Chaeyoung out of her green haze.

 

“Huh?” Chaeyoung abruptly snaps out of her daze. She suddenly remembers where she was. Chaeyoung ducks her head shyly as she quickly stammers out an apology, her blush already creeping up her neck. “Irene-unnie, I wasn’t-“

 

Irene only chuckles. 

 

“It’s okay, Rosé.” Irene assures a panicked Chaeyoung. “I wasn’t aware that you were attracted to Taehyung.”  Chaeyoung thinks that Irene sounds almost disappointed. Maybe Chaeyoung’s ears were playing tricks on her.

 

Chaeyoung tilts her head in confusion. 

 

Taehyung? Who in the world- ahhhhhh 

 

Chaeyoung only giggles in response as her brain finally made sense of what Irene said. She grudgingly admits that Taehyung was a handsome man, she has functioning eyes. But her heart always belonged to a special woman in her life. Said woman who was currently giggling at whatever the  Taehyung was saying to her. Chaeyoung’s eyes narrowed as she observes their interaction.

 

Park Chaeyoung has never been an aggressive person, per se. Chaeyoung would never even hurt a goddamn fly. But right now, at this moment, there was nothing Chaeyoung wouldn’t give just to wrap her hands around Taehyung’s pretty little neck and-

 

Chaeyoung shakes her head and returns her attention back to Irene. She attempts to smile but it probably looks more like a grimace than anything.

 

“V sunbaenim is….attractive. Sure.” Chaeyoung mentally cringes at her admission. She can feel her blush slowly creeping up her face again. “But it’s not what you think, unnie.”

 

Irene only smiles softly at Chaeyoung.  She steers the conversation to another subject to spare the younger girl from further embarrassment. “As I was saying, we should get lunch together one day.”

 

It seems like today is the day Chaeyoung’s face will remain flushed red because she can’t help but furiously blush as she stares incredulously at Irene.  Is the universe ing with her or did her very attractive sunbae essentially just asked her out? 

 

Irene must’ve seen the utter confusion on Chaeyoung’s face and taken it as a rejection because she quickly tries to fix the situation. “I mean, only if-“

 

“Oh, well. I’d have to check with my-“ Chaeyoung interjects.

 

Before she could finish her sentence, Chaeyoung was cut off by her manager tapping her on her shoulders. 

 

“The show is almost starting. We have to get you to your seat with the other girls.”

 

Chaeyoung nods at her manager and turns to shoot Irene an apologetic smile. 

 

“I’m really sorry, unnie, but I have to go” Chaeyoung bows respectfully as she turns to make her way to her assigned seat, leaving behind a disappointed Irene.

 

Before she could leave the backstage area, Chaeyoung feels warm fingertips brush against her hand. Chaeyoung knows exactly who it was without having to look. She just silently unfurls her fingers and lets the stranger slip their hand into hers.

 

Without thinking, Chaeyoung brings the stranger’s hand up to her lips and presses a soft kiss on the back of the stranger’s hand, her thumb slowly rubbing small circles on the smooth skin as she lowers their clasped hands.

 

Jennie gasps lightly and turns to look at Chaeyoung. She was surprised at Chaeyoung’s boldness, especially in a public setting like this, with all their peers surrounding them. In all their years or friendship and even in the last few months of officially dating, Chaeyoung has never been the one to initiate public displays of affection. Sure, Chaeyoung engages in the typical “love fest” on stage, occasionally blowing Jennie, Lisa and Jisoo kisses and "shooting" hearts at them. But Jennie knows that those were simply meant as “fan service”. Chaeyoung much rather preferred to show Jennie just how much she loved her in a much more private setting, where she was free to shower Jennie with as much physical affection as she wants to.

 

Jennie tilts her head curiously as she stares up at the younger girl. Chaeyoung only looks forward, a small smile playing at her lips as she carefully guides the two of them back to their seats.

 

What they didn’t notice was Irene staring at them, an understanding look on her face. 

 


“Jennie-ssi?”

 

Jennie & Chaeyoung’s conversation was interrupted by an unfamiliar voice. The pair simultaneously turn to face the stranger standing over them. 

 

They were only halfway through the award show and already, Chaeyoung is ready to go home and just lay in bed, preferably with a very soft & warm Jennie next to her. Fortunately, they had a small broadcasting break as everyone gets ready for the second half of the show. Jennie & Chaeyoung decided to stay in their seats while Lisa left to get some refreshments and mingle around with the other idols. Jisoo was currently engaged in what looks like a pretty intense conversation with Red Velvet’s Seulgi about something that probably didn’t warrant the serious tones and flailing arms from the two women, Chaeyoung is sure. 

 

Focusing on the stranger, the beautiful stranger, towering over her and Jennie, Chaeyoung finally recognises the stranger as Sunmi. Chaeyoung doesn’t realise that she had been staring at Sunmi without saying anything until Jennie elbows her in the ribs and gives her a sharp look. 

 

Chaeyoung snaps out of her stupor and the both of them abruptly stand up to greet their sunbae. 

 

“Sunmi-sunbaenim, it’s nice to meet you” Jennie bows deeply, Chaeyoung just right behind her.

 

As the pair straighten up again, Chaeyoung swears she sees a blush faintly dusting Sunmi’s cheeks when Jennie focuses her entire attention on the taller woman. 

 

Chaeyoung mentally groans. Oh, . Not again. The little situation with BTS’s V almost slips her mind. Almost. 

 

Damn Jennie and her stupid good looks and her stupid ability to make people fall in love with her. 

 

Chaeyoung nearly misses Jennie and Sunmi’s conversation entirely as she was busy having an internal battle with herself when something Sunmi said catches her attention.

 

Wait, what?

 

It took Chaeyoung a few seconds to realise that she didn’t actually say that in her head, but rather out loud. Much to the amusement of Jennie, not so much herself.

 

Sunmi winces at Chaeyoung’s question but quickly regains her composure and she repeats what she said to Jennie. 

 

“Um, like I said, do you want to go out for dinner sometime? With me? On a date maybe?” Sunmi turns to face Jennie fully, gaining a little bit of the confidence she lost somewhere along the way. 

 

“I would actually l- oh.” Jennie yelps. What in the hell? Why the hell is Chaeyoung’s arm suddenly around her waist?

 

She turns to look at Chaeyoung for an explanation but she was only met with Chaeyoung’s smug expression as her arm tightens its grip around Jennie’s waist. 

 

Chaeyoung pulls Jennie flush against her side and raises an eyebrow at Sunmi, almost challengingly.

 

Sunmi’s eyes travel down to see Chaeyoung’s arm tightly wrapped around Jennie and her eyes dramatically widen as realisation dawns on her. “Oh my god, I am so sorry. I had no idea-“

 

Jennie quickly cuts her off with an apologetic smile before Sunmi could further embarrass herself. She felt bad for her sunbae. She was just as surprised as Sunmi at Chaeyoung’s bold display. 

 

“I really am sorry, Sunmi-sunbaenim.” Jennie starts. “But I don’t think I’ll be able to join you for dinner sometime soon.”

 

Sunmi just nods and quickly makes her escape. But not without bowing politely.

 

Chaeyoung watches her sunbae’s retreating form and mentally gives herself a pat on the back. That’s what you get for trying to steal my woman.

 

Way to stake your claim on Jennie, Chaeyoung-ah”

 

Chaeyoung turns to face a snickering Lisa and an amused Jisoo, letting go of her grip on Jennie in the process. She sheepishly scratches the back of her head and tries to stammer out an explanation. “I-“

 

Yah, I have no idea what’s gotten into Chaeyoung today.” Jennie cuts her off. “We’re gonna be the hot gossip of the night by the time the show ends.”

 

Jisoo lets out an amused snort. “You really think everyone here isn’t talking about you two already?” 

 

Chaeyoung at least has the decency to actually look embarrassed. She wraps her arms around Jennie’s waist and hides her face in the crook of Jennie’s neck. 

 

Jennie only chuckles in response and rubs her girlfriend’s back soothingly. “Hey” She nudges Chaeyoung lightly. “I never said I didn’t like it, baby. I actually think it’s kinda hot.” 

 

Chaeyoung whines adorably, still hiding her face in the crook of Jennie’s neck (Jennie thinks that Chaeyoung secretly loves to bury her face there. Well, among other places on her body). The vibrations send shivers down Jennie’s spine. She pulls back and tilts Chaeyoung face up to meet hers.

 

“I love you.” Jennie breathes out. She leans in and presses a soft kiss just shy of Chaeyoung’s lips, far enough to not cause trouble but close enough to show anyone watching that it was definitely not intended to be a friendly kiss. 

 

Chaeyoung swears her heart stopped beating when she felt Jennie’s lips press lightly on her face. The kiss probably only lasted all of 3 seconds and Jennie didn’t even kiss her on the lips but it was enough to send Chaeyoung into a frenzy. Maybe time stopped or maybe it didn’t, but Chaeyoung swears she felt her heart swell and burst into a million fluttering butterflies. 

 

Before Jennie could pull away completely, Chaeyoung pulls her closer and cups her face with one hand. She searches Jennie’s eyes for any sign of protest, but all she sees in the warm pools of dark brown are love & adoration. Chaeyoung’s breath hitches in and she slowly leans down to-

 

“Are you guys ing insane?” Jisoo whisper-yells, hoping not to be heard by the entire crowd surrounding but also hoping it was loud enough to snap her idiot bandmates out of whatever dumb love haze they were in. 

 

The pair of “love struck idiots” jumped apart in surprise. Jennie can’t actually believe they almost kissed in an arena filled with their peers and thousands of fans. She turns to look at Chaeyoung to gauge her reaction on the situation and she is surprised to see that Chaeyoung looks calm. Chaeyoung looks at her and shrugs. 

 

Chaeyoung opens and was about to say something when the emcee makes the announcement that the award show is resuming in a few minutes. 

 

Jisoo is the first to spring into action as she nudges Lisa back to their assigned seats. Jennie and Chaeyoung stay standing for a few seconds before Chaeyoung takes the initiative to slip her fingers between Jennie’s and pull her towards their seats. Jennie can only smile at her girlfriend. 

 

Once all four of them were seated, Chaeyoung turns to face Jennie. She pulls their linked hands onto her lap and shoots a sly wink in Jennie’s direction. “I love you too”

 

Jennie ducks her head bashfully and focuses her attention on the stage as the next performers get ready for their performance. 

 

And in this moment, all she can think of is ‘I’m happy’.