FINAL

How To Befriend A Lion
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Yongsun blinks. 

 

The lion hybrid over her stares, her claws digging deeply into her skin as she pins her down onto the floor, ears laid back, hackles raised, tail puffed out and fangs bared wide. 

 

Yongsun knew she shouldn't have touched her stomach. She knew it, Wheein even specifically told her not to. But unfortunately for her, she forgot.

 

“Chicken?” Yongsun squeaks meekly in an attempt to appease the angry lion. Immediately the hybrid stops looking fierce, sitting back on her knees as she looks down at Yongsun with an expectant gaze. The girl sighs, pushing herself up into sitting position. She stares warily at the hybrid in front of her first before slowly taking out her phone and ordering delivery. 

 

“It’s on the way.” She says, watching as the hybrid stares at her for a few seconds before yawning, getting up and padding away to curl up on the couch where she had been resting before Yongsun had accidentally aggravated her.

 

Yongsun sighs, running a hand through her hair as she gets up, wondering what exactly she had gotten herself into. 



 

-Few Hours Before-

 

“Yongsun-unnie pleaseeee?? I have no one else to watch over her. I don’t want to leave her at the shelter, she doesn’t like it there.” Pleads Wheein over the phone as Yongsun bites her lip, thinking. 

 

“I don’t know Whee… I don’t do well with hybrids. The only experience I ever had was with Jingjing, and he was just a normal dog.” 

 

“Hyejin’s very well-behaved! I swear!! She won’t disturb you and she’ll listen to what you say. You just need to keep an eye on her for three days. Please??” Yongsun could practically see the desperate puppy eyes Wheein was giving to her on the other line. In the end, Yongsun made up her mind and agreed to take her in. 

 

Wheein cheers. “You’re the best unnie!! I’ll pay for your services with a lifetime supply of strawberry milk!!” 

 

“I’ll hold you onto that promise. When will you be dropping by with her?” 

 

“25 minutes. Just gotta clear up some things before heading over.” 

 

Yongsun checks the time and hums. “I’ll be waiting then.” 





 

Yongsun stares dumbly at Wheein rambling off to her about what she should and shouldn't do in her living room. The hybrid, Hyejin, was glaring at her with mistrust and dislike. 

 

“She eats mostly chicken, she likes to laze and nap, she bites and scratches sometimes too but that's just her playing around. Also, you have to help wash her because she’s scared of water.” Wheein frowns as she tries to think of anything else she had missed. She snaps her fingers when something pops into her head and she leans very close to Yongsun, who leans back in surprise.

 

 “You must never, ever, touch her stomach. She hates it when people do that, even me! And she loves me!” Hyejin lashes her tail from side to side and growls lowly as if to prove her point. Yongsun nods with wide eyes as Wheein grins at her. She stands up, patting Hyejin on the head who looks up at her with sad longing eyes.

 

“I’ll see you in a few days Hyegi, don't worry! Yongsun-unnie will take very good care of you!” 

 

Yongsun follows Wheein out to the front door, stopping the smaller girl from leaving by holding onto her sleeve when she remembers what she wanted to ask. 

 

“Uhh, what type of hybrid is Hyejin exactly…?” 

 

“Oh? Didn't I say it before? She’s a lion hybrid.” 


 

A...WHAT?! LION?! 


 

“You’ll be fine unnie, you’ll have fun with her I’m sure of it!” Wheein grins that adorably dumb grin of hers once more, shooting Yongsun a thumbs up before leaving her alone. 

 

With a lion. 

 

That did not seem happy at all to be left with her. 





 

-Present Time-

 

Hyejin gnaws away at the chicken hungrily, ripping off the meat and chewing it down with vigour. Yongsun watches from the side, a little concerned for herself when she sees the fangs flashing everytime she takes a bite. She couldn't help but smile in amusement though, when she sees how fast Hyejin’s tail seems to be wagging. 

 

She waits until Hyejin has devoured the whole lot, collecting the plate and bringing it to the sink to be washed. Hyejin returns back to the couch, bored and full. To busy herself, she eyes the weird human who was beginning to sing and dance to herself in the kitchen. She snorts when Yongsun grabs a spoon and sings into it, the elder freezing in place when she hears the sound. 

 

Embarrassed, Yongsun clears and resumes washing the dishes properly. Once done, she wipes her hand against her shirt and strolls back into the living room. She flops onto the ground, sitting with her back leaning against the couch as she switches on the TV for their entertainment. 

 

Hyejin lays herself down, stretching out her body and sighing in satisfaction. A random drama was playing, one that Hyejin had no interest in but one that Yongsun was actually interested in, having seen a few episodes from before. The living room is quiet except for the sounds from the TV and the occasional gasps from Yongsun. 

 

Feeling comfortable and sleepy, and wanting nothing to do with Yongsun, Hyejin curls up and falls asleep once more, wishing that she was back together with Wheein. 



 

An hour later the drama ends. Yongsun glances to the side to see if Hyejin wanted anything only to be faced with a sleeping lion. She coos at the sight, finding it adorable as she takes her phone and snaps a picture to send to Wheein. Hyejin was fearsome and intimidating when she was awake, but when she was asleep she looked like the most harmless and innocent baby ever. 

 

Quietly Yongsun gets up from her seat to tiptoe into her room, scrambling out soon with a blanket to gently lay on Hyejin. The lion clutches onto and snuggles the blanket, making Yongsun grin. 

 

Maybe Wheein was right, this won't be so bad after all. 




 

Oh boy was she terribly wrong. 





 

“No!” 

 

“Come on Hyejin-ah, you need to shower!!” 

 

“I refuse!!” 

 

Yongsun stands, exasperated, as she tries to negotiate with Hyejin who was currently fluffed up in fear, glaring at Yongsun with narrowed eyes. 

 

The two had an unplanned game of chase when Yongsun casually mentioned the word “bath” after they’ve eaten their dinner. Hyejin had stared at her with wide eyes before bolting away, Yongsun gaping before remembering what Wheein said. She ran after the lion, zooming through her small apartment in an attempt to capture her. 

 

They were currently standing at opposite ends of the table, monitoring each other’s movements carefully to predict where they would burst off to either avoid or intercept. 

 

Hyejin lashes her tail in defiance. “I will NOT get into that bathroom!!” Yongsun steams, gears turning in her brain as she tries to think of a way to get the stubborn yet adorable lion into the shower to be bathed. Why didn't I ask Wheein for any tips before she left!! She groans internally, raising both hands to rub at her temple. Thinking quietly, Yongsun pretends to sigh and give up, raising her hands in surrender. 

 

“Fine, you win. No baths for today.” Hyejin’s ears perk up and twitch as she straightens up, eyeing Yongsun with wary curiosity. Is she really giving up that easily? She watches as Yongsun strolls away into her room, waiting a few seconds to see if the elder would come out again. 

 

Curious, Hyejin ventures towards Yongsun’s room, deciding whether or not to come in. She peers round the door, looking for Yongsun. She sees no sign of the girl and walks further into the room. Suddenly, she lets out a surprised yelp when someone tackles into her from behind. 

 

Yongsun had hidden behind the door, waiting to see if Hyejin would follow after her. Thankfully, she did. 

 

They struggle, Hyejin thrashing in her grip as she tries to escape while Yongsun tries to tighten her hold. Yongsun winces in pain when sharp claws slice against her arm but her grip does not loosen. Lifting the rather light hybrid up, Yongsun staggers to the bathroom, kicking the door shut with her foot as the distraught lion whines and cries out. 

 

“It’ll be quick! I promise!! Then I’ll make you whatever you want after!!!” Yongsun says as she places Hyejin down, switching on the water and letting the tub slowly fill with warm water. Hyejin watches her with sad eyes, cowering against the door away from the tub. 

 

“I’ll be here Hyejin, I won’t let you drown or anything. You’ll be okay.” Convinces Yongsun softly, hand held out towards Hyejin. Seeing that she has no choice, Hyejin gives in and allows herself to be stripped of her clothing and settled into the water. 

 

Yongsun almost wants to let Hyejin out, seeing the poor hybrid looking all quiet and scared in the tub. Unfortunately she can’t, so she just had to make this as fast as possible. 

 

She splashes water gently onto Hyejin, pouring it over her hair and wetting it. Hyejin closes her eyes and mouth, shaking herself to discard the water droplets. 

 

Yongsun pays no mind to her bleeding arm, focused on making Hyejin feel as safe and comfortable as possible. She begins to hum softly as she scrubs Hyejin lightly with soap. Seeing how Hyejin seemed to relax after a few minutes, Yongsun smiles and begins to actually sing. 

 

The lion scrunches her nose up when Yongsun gently boops it, soap bubbles now perching on her nose. She shakes herself, dislodging the bubbles and pawing at it when it floats down. Yongsun smiles at the sight, scooping up more bubbles to blow for Hyejin to play with. 

 

She makes it quick, scrubbing Hyejin’s hair (or rather mane she supposes) thoroughly as the latter plays with the bubbles floating in the air. Yongsun then rinses off the shampoo, reminding Hyejin to close her eyes as the water washes over her. After making sure all the soap was washed off and that she was clean, Yongsun switches off the water and cheers. 

 

“There! We’re done Hyejin-ah! Not so bad was it now hmm?” 

 

Yongsun helps Hyejin out of the bath, taking a towel and toweling her dry. Hyejin wraps it around her when done and pads after Yongsun into her room. The elder pats the edge of the bed, gesturing for Hyejin to sit as she gets her hairdryer. 

 

She turns it up to the lowest level first before gradually increasing so as to not spook the lion. She runs her fingers through wet locks, drying gently and untangling knots. Hyejin sits patiently, ears twitching at the warmth of the dryer. She finds her eyes fluttering shut, head drooping as she feels sleep crawling up to her.

 

The droning sound of the hairdryer is switched off when Yongsun finishes, Hyejin’s hair now dry and fluffy. She lets the hybri

Please log in to read the full chapter