Chapter 1

Jeju Love

"He took her hand..." Jun's voice trailed.

 

"No." She let out a sigh. Her delicate fingers tapped the delete button on her keyboard.

 

"He took her lovingly by the hand." This time she sounded more confident in her choice of words.

 

"Still stuck on the 7th chapter?" Jun's assitant barged in with takeaway coffee in her hand. This was Jun's excuse to yawn and stretch. She's been staring at a computer screen for most of the morning. Except the occasional glances out of the window in front of her. Jun has been working on her newest novel and has promised to lock herself away in her home until she has finished at least 10 chapters. After four successful books, she wants this novel to be her biggest success.

 

"I am so stuck Mina, I don't know how to un-stuck myself." 

 

"Thanks for the coffee." Jun smiled at her assitant and grabbed the coffee just as it hit her desk. 

 

"What you need is some inspiration." Mina leaned against Jun's desk and looked at her boss's golden hair shining in the sun's light.

 

"You need a man who can inspire you with love." Mina teased.

 

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that." Jun looked at her assistant with a dry smile.

 

"Boss, I'm just saying."

 

"It's been three years." Mina continued. Jun knew her assistant had a point but she convinced herself that she was happy alone, she knew that all relationships ever do is bring pain and trauma. Despite writing about love and being so good at it, in real life Jun Kim was a woman who had her walls up high and scared anyone off that dared to attempt climbing them.

 

"Before I leave, Maya wants to know if you'll still be able to make it to her bridal shower this weekend and if you'll still be flying out to Jeju next Friday for the wedding like you promised?"

 

Jun rolled her eyes sarcastically.

"Jeez, she makes you ask that question every day when she can just text me herself!"

 

"And I make sure to answer her every day. Are you?"

 

"Of course, I'll be there."

 

"I'll let her know for the fourth time this week." Mina joked and made her way out of Jun's home office.

Jun smiled to herself. Maya wa so understanding of her friend's career that she made sure not to bother her while she was in 'writing mode'. Jun stared out the window of her apartment but really, she was deep in thought. Her one and only best friend will be getting married in a few days. Of course she was happy for her friend but she always thought she'd be the first to get married and start a family between the two.

 

"What on earth am I going to wear?" Jun has been so wrapped up in her own life that she hasn't found the time to find herself an outfit for the wedding.

Jun shut off her laptop and left her office.

 

"Mina?" She yelled, trying to find her assistant.

Mina called back from the kitchen. Jun followed the sound to the kitchen and found Mina preparing lunch.

 

"What time is my flight next week?" 

 

"I got you the 09:00am flight. You'll have enough time to settle in and relax before the wedding on Saturday." 

 

"I have to get a pretty dress." Jun thought aloud.

 

"Do you want me to order something online?"

 

"No, I think I'll get some shopping done this weekend."

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jun was already dressed and was just adding the final touches to her makeup. She slapped on some lipstick and took one final look in the mirror. She stared at the black dress that hugged her body, paired with the heels she had on. She looked up at her hair to make sure her curls were still in place. 

 

"I hope this is okay." Jun said under her breath.

She grabbed her bag and made her way to Maya's apartment. The plan for the bridal shower was to have a girls night in with tons of food and alcohol but soon, most of the women, inculding the bride became bored. Jun was ready to go home and call it a night but at the same time, she wanted to make sure that she was there for her best friend until the end of the night.

 

"I think we should hit the streets and find a club. Maya, what do you think?" One of Maya's guests blurted out.

 

"I agree." Maya said after downing a shot of Soju.

 

"My friend says that the W Hotel has some of the best parties on a weekend." Another woman said.

 

"Ladies, what do you think?" Maya asked.

Everyone agreed with excitement. 

In a few minutes Maya and her guest found themselves on the rooftop of a hotel and were having the time of their lives. The music was blasting, there were dancing bodies all around. Jun was trying to have fun but she hated parties. She hated any place that was too loud and where people were bumping against each other.

Eventually Jun told Maya that she was going to the bathroom when in actual fact, she just wanted to get a way for a little while the rest of the ladies party. With her shoes in one hand, her bag in the other, Jun approached the elevator and waited for it to arrive. She took out her phone and started going through some of the texts she received earlier that night. The elevator arrived on the floor she was on and the doors opened. Without looking up, Jun entered.

 

"Which floor number?" Jun knew she heard that voice before but she shrugged it off.

 

"The lobby." Jun looked up to thank the man but dropped her phone out of shock instead. Startled and confused, the man picked up Jun's phone and handed it to her.

 

"Thank you." She smiled shyly. She took another look at the man who picked up her phone.

 

"I can't believe it's him. What do I do?"