2/2

habits with hangovers

Definitions:

(Surgical) Rounds – when a team of surgeons flit from patient to patient (usually in the morning before surgery or at the end of the day post-surgery) to discuss the case and patient care plans

MDCT – a type of CT scan

Bunny method – a (fictional) suturing technique Joohyun invented that makes closing up giant bleeds faster, which is crucial for traumatic accidents


 

It’s three days later in a neuro breakroom when Seungwan finally ends up talking to Sooyoung about what happened between her and Joohyun. For all of Sooyoung’s ribs and jabs, she never judges. Teases mercilessly, yes, but never judges.
 

“So, you’re a thing now?”
 

Seungwan scrunches her eyebrows. “Is this what a thing is? It doesn’t feel like a thing.”
 

For some reason, Sooyoung looks like she’s trying really hard not to laugh. “Well, do you want it to be a thing?”
 

She thinks about the question carefully. “I don’t know. I think I’m too busy. And I tend to focus on my work too much.”
 

Sooyoung finally lets out a laugh, spinning her phone on the table distractedly. “She’s busy too! You’re forgetting you’re not the only world-class-premium-brand-more-than-board-certified-hot-piece-of- surgeon in this town.”
 

Seungwan scoffs, even if her cheeks flush at the supposed compliment. “You make it sound like such a pretentious thing.”
 

Sooyoung lands her index finger in the middle of her phone, effectively stopping the incessant spinning. The look she gives Seungwan is the most serious she’s seen on her in a while. Like she’s preparing for one of those grueling 24-hour surgeries. “I don’t think you’re pretentious, unnie. If anything, you’re so ing humble it’s annoying.”
 

“Um. Thanks?”
 

“See! Jeez!” Sooyoung rolls her eyes, even if a smile breaks through the wall of seriousness. “Anyway, you’re texting each other now, right?”
 

“Uh…”
 

“Unnie!!”
 

“I don’t know what to say, okay!” Seungwan puts her arms up in defense. “I’m not sure she would really appreciate me talking about my work, since she’s trauma and I’m neuro.”
 

“Then talk about other things! Your interests outside of neuro.”
 

“Er, like…research?”
 

“Oh, god. Please. Just…send her some medical memes or something.”

 

***

 

Surprisingly, the medical memes suggestion works. Or at least Seungwan thinks it does, with the 😂😂😂 emojis she gets in response. Joohyun also sends her some of her favorite memes, and Seungwan isn’t faking it when she responds with her own laughing emoticons.
 

Meme-sending transforms into Joohyun suddenly sending her random selcas while she’s in the middle of rounds, making Seungwan almost bump into the door of the next patient’s room they’re stopping by in. Joohyun is usually wearing a mask or her usual button-down, but Seungwan is very, very gay.
 

It takes her a few hours to respond, taking a hundred selcas herself and internally screeching about how none of them can hold a candle to Joohyun’s—up until Sooyoung intervenes and snatches her phone away to send them herself, signing it with several kissing emojis.
 

Seungwan would be angrier if it didn’t cause Joohyun to reply with 😳😳😘, making her ecstatically treat Sooyoung to a large cup of her favorite bland boba.
 

She’d just sent Joohyun another medical meme, chuckling to herself as she tries to focus back on writing her research paper; she’s hoping that she can finish it in time for the next neurology conference.
 

She’s hit a slight stump with data interpretation when a knock on her door interrupts her tiny breakdown. Seungwan has been cooped up inside her office all day, and she hopes that Sooyoung has come to rescue her for some reprieve. “Come in!” she calls out.
 

Seungwan turns in her chair, eyes widening when she sees Bae Joohyun inside her office. Again. She blinks in rapid succession in disbelief. But Joohyun remains by the door, chuckling at her as she gives a little shake to the phone in her hand. “That meme was really funny.”
 

“Oh. Uh. Yeah. Hi.” Her frontal cortex has hit a snag.
 

But at least Joohyun is still smiling at her. “Hi.”
 

Seungwan scrambles to form better sentences, realizing how much easier it was to hide behind her phone whenever she communicated with Joohyun. “Um, is your patient still here?” she asks, since that was the reason why Joohyun had come to the hospital a week ago.
 

After a slight pause, Joohyun shakes her head. “No.”
 

“…Oh.”
 

Seungwan should really ask why, but Joohyun walks forward until she’s standing in front of her, and the words die on her tongue. “What are you doing?” she asks pleasantly.
 

“Oh.” Seungwan turns to her desktop, as if she needed to check what exactly she had been doing for the past few hours. “I’m writing my research paper.”
 

Joohyun nods in response, brows lifting as if impressed. “Any significant results?” There’s an intensity in her gaze that Seungwan is very familiar with, but the question throws her off.
 

“Yeah, we’ve found that screening patients using the MDCT will actually—” Her collar is yanked forward for a kiss, and any thoughts of academia becomes kindling for the heat that is Joohyun’s mouth.
 

Joohyun sits on her lap, nosing against her neck, and Seungwan almost groans at the pleasant weight astride her thighs. “I’m sorry,” Joohyun murmurs, “I’m sure you started saying something very interesting, but right now, I just—” Now Seungwan cuts her off with a kiss, shaking her head to say that an apology isn’t necessary.
 

Before things can turn a tad racier, Seungwan remembers something vital. “We should lock the door,” she gets out breathlessly.
 

“I already did.”
 

The confidence in Joohyun’s reply sends another spike of heat through her, making her curse. “You’re amazing,” she praises with a sigh, and she’s rewarded with a tinkling laugh that sinks into her heart, like an anchor to its harbor.

 

***

 

Seungwan tries not to read too much into Joohyun’s surprise visits. She enjoys them for what they are, welcoming the refreshing bouts of spontaneity amidst her mundane schedule of OR work, research, and occasional noraebang stints.
 

She and Joohyun continue to text each other constantly, alternating between friendly and downright flirty, but now they also talk about work-related things, with Joohyun asking for her insight on certain ER cases that have possible neurologic issues, and Seungwan giving her updates on how her research work is faring.
 

Like she told Sooyoung, both of them are busy people, and even though they try to find a perfect time to meet up, the last month has been a flurry of rainchecks and apologies. In the midst of it all, Seungwan prepares herself for the upcoming neurology conference, finalizing her research and making sure her presentation is set for d-day.
 

On the day of the conference, Seungwan feels as ready as she’ll ever be. She’s had a restful sleep (which is rare) the night before, and had already downed two cups of coffee (which is common) to steel her nerves. After three awe-inspiring research presentations, it’s finally her turn, and she takes deep breaths as she makes her way to the front of the stage, her arm feeling bruised where Sooyoung had just squeezed it ‘for good luck.’
 

She sets up her laptop with slightly shaky hands, the tech assistant helping her out and giving her a clicker. She tests it out on the screen, and when she finds herself ready, she turns to face the audience of peers and professors—and a smiling Bae Joohyun.
 

Joohyun is sitting on the seat Seungwan previously occupied, which means she’s front-and-center, sitting next to Sooyoung who is donning the biggest smirk ever. But all Seungwan really sees is Joohyun, sitting in during a neurology conference. For her.
 

It seems like everyone’s surprised as well, and she sees a few of her residents rapid-fire texting on their phones, probably sharing the gossip to all the group chats they’re a part of. But Joohyun doesn’t seem to pay any of the barely-concealed gasps and whispers any mind, her eyes solely focused on Seungwan.
 

Joohyun puts a fist up, mouths ‘Hwaiting!’ and winks at her in the most adorable way ever. Seungwan wants to run down the stage and kiss her. But she’s a professional, she shouts at herself. And so, she gives Joohyun a shaky smile at best, and begins her presentation.
 

If she stutters through a bit of it, she thinks she can’t really be faulted for it.

 

***

 

They never really talk during the after.
 

They usually fall asleep in each other’s arms, a pleasant kind of exhaustion seeping deep into their bones and preventing them from leaving so soon. And Seungwan admits having Joohyun cuddling closer and closer to her as night turns into the break of day is something she enjoys: the scrunch of her eyebrows even in deep sleep, body searching for the warmth Seungwan is more than willing to share.
 

But tonight, they’re both steadfastly awake, Joohyun content with playing with Seungwan’s fingers as she settles herself against Seungwan’s chest.
 

They both have not talked about it, about Joohyun being here for her. After her presentation, Seungwan’s attention was regrettably taken away by some doctors who came to congratulate her and discuss other potentials for her research. And when she finally got the chance to be with Joohyun, inviting her up to her room for a more private setting, they hadn’t done much talking.
 

Seungwan doesn’t want to burst the peaceful bubble they’ve enclosed themselves in, but her mind whirs with pent-up questions and possibilities. She’s far too happy about Joohyun being here; more than what the usual dynamics of their relationship entails.
 

She starts with something far lighter and more familiar, something that doesn’t cause her to be so in tune with the anchor harbored to her chest. “I stuttered too much, didn’t I?” she asks Joohyun, willing her to tease, to exact her revenge against her self-serving comment last time.
 

Instead, Joohyun hums, the sound reverberating through Seungwan’s skin, the soft kiss she plants on her even more so. “We all make mistakes. Plus, I think you stuttered because of me, so I can’t fault you for that.” Seungwan hears the teasing in her voice, but it doesn’t feel light and familiar anymore; it feels so much more than that, and the words Seungwan seeks to find seem unreachable. Joohyun looks up at her at the lack of response, and Seungwan doesn’t know how much she can see, how much her face reveals. “You did great,” Joohyun says softly. “Why nitpick on things that don’t really matter?”
 

Seungwan tells herself not to read into this. Like it isn’t far too late. She repeats it, over and over in her head, even as she leans down to give Joohyun the sweetest kiss she can offer. Their bodies tangle together as they kiss without urgency, like they have all the time in the world.
 

They catch their breaths and laugh, and Seungwan has never felt so content. She’s always chasing something new, something she can learn or something she can improve in, but her heart is content with resting with Joohyun, like this, if Joohyun will have her.
 

“Remember our first time?” Joohyun suddenly asks, turning to face her, and the immediate wiggling of her eyebrows makes Joohyun slap her arm in retaliation. “I meant our first conference.”
 

“Right.” Seungwan laughs, earning herself another slap. “But yeah, I do,” she adds, turning serious. “You were amazing. Which isn’t news, but that was the first time I got to actually watch you kill it on stage.” A light blush dusts Joohyun’s cheeks, and Seungwan can’t help but lean in to press her lips against one of them, to feel the heat she’s responsible for.
 

“I never got to thank you for listening, though,” Joohyun murmurs, “and giving me your input afterwards.”
 

Seungwan hums, but a soft feeling of guilt makes her chew on her bottom lip. “I…have a confession. Honestly, I kind of knew your bunny method wouldn’t work on smaller brain bleeds, but I just…wanted to talk to you.”
 

Joohyun looks at her with surprise, and then promptly bursts out laughing. “You’re too smart for your own good, Seungwan-ah. And too smooth.” Seungwan chuckles with her, still mildly embarrassed that she just confessed about how she’s not much different than all the others who crush on Joohyun.
 

They lay in silence for a while, and Seungwan thinks Joohyun’s fallen asleep when her voice startles her in the dim light of the room. “I have a confession…too. I was offered a job in your hospital, for three days a week.”
 

“What?? Really??” Seungwan sits up a little bit, causing Joohyun to pull away a little to regard her carefully.
 

“Yeah, it was why I came over to the hospital last time.”
 

Seungwan tries to tamp down her giddiness at the prospect of seeing Joohyun more often, afraid of being too transparent. “You mean you didn’t just come by to see me?” she jokes.
 

Joohyun huffs out a laugh. “Well, it was also because of you. Like a solid 99%. But, yeah.”
 

Seungwan’s heart stutters against her ribs, and she’s afraid she can’t pretend she’s not pretty much in love any longer. “When do you begin working?”
 

“…I didn’t accept the offer yet.”
 

Seungwan blinks at her, a ball of doubt forming in her gut. “Oh. Why?”
 

Joohyun fiddles with the blanket, eyes shifting. “I wanted to ask you first, about what you think.”
 

Confusion paints Seungwan’s features. “But…why would my opinion matter?”
 

Now Joohyun focuses her gaze back on her, the frustration winning out, even if her cheeks have turned pink again. “You topped the board exam, but you can’t figure this out?” she chides softly, smile crooked.
 

And Seungwan didn’t realize. All this time, she’s been guarding her own heart and scrambling to hide her feelings, when she should have been listening to Joohyun’s all along. To how Joohyun has been making efforts to meet her despite her busy schedule, getting to know her outside of what they’ve both regarded as familiar; comfortable.
 

To how Joohyun takes the first, tentative steps towards her, waiting in the wings for Seungwan to meet her halfway. Seungwan would have run to her if she knew.
 

“I’m sorry,” she apologizes now, for not realizing sooner. “I…didn’t want to assume.” She takes Joohyun’s hand in hers, and Joohyun’s answering smile makes her feel like she’s holding the world. “I’d love for you to work there, if that’s okay. And if it’s in line with what you want.”
 

Joohyun laughs softly, cuddling close and nodding against Seungwan’s chest. “It is. You really are. What I want, I mean.”
 

Seungwan brushes her lips against Joohyun’s hair, wishing that this will be their new familiar. “Does this mean I get to have dinner with you three times a week?”
 

“How about more?”
 

“Yeah?” She grins, and love blooms to fruition in her chest. “I’d love that.”

 

***

 

Sometime in the future…
 

They fly to Switzerland three days before the actual conference, and on their very first day, Seungwan is hit with jetlag and Joohyun with an annoying stomachache, but they laugh it off; being stuck in a hotel room with someone you love can be a blessing in disguise, after all.
 

After recuperating, they plow through a dozen tours of lakes and medieval buildings to make up for lost time. The nerves get to Seungwan the day before her presentation, but Joohyun is there with her, guiding her through the motions until she can practically do it in her sleep.
 

The hall is intimidating; everyone in the room has credentials longer than their own names, but Joohyun sits front-and-center, just like always. And Seungwan wants to do her, and do her proud. They smile like there is an inside joke shared between the two of them just before Seungwan begins to speak.
 

And after, when Joohyun claps louder than the entire audience combined, a proud smile gracing her face, Seungwan thinks that she’s even more proud to be able to call her her wife.