Final

If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The root of the word courage is “cor” -- the Latin word for “heart”. 

 

Courage comes from the heart. 






“I think someone is checking you out,” Yena snickers, nudging you and nodding towards the direction of the onlooker. You look over your shoulder and make eye contact with a girl with light make-up and a flowy dress. The best dressed in the room, you note. The girl across the room gives you a shy smile before she turns back to her friends who are all laughing and pushing her towards you, yet she stays firm in her spot. 

 

“Doesn’t seem like she’s going to make the first move,” Yena says, but you barely hear her over the sound of me encouraging you. Without speaking a word, you shove your drink into Yena’s free hand, wiping the condensation that has dripped onto the tops of your fingers on your jeans. 

 

Each step towards the girl, I get more and more excited. The adrenaline pumping gives me a high I haven’t felt since you rode that roller coaster in the third grade. The girl’s tall friend's eyes widen as she notices you approaching. She rapidly taps on the other girl’s shoulder trying to get her attention. “What, Yujin?” 

 

Yujin, whose name you just learned, grabs the other girl and harshly turns her towards you. The girl’s eyes widen in realization when she sees you standing in front of her. 

 

“Um,” You start, that confidence you started with slowly disappearing. Her other friends looking at you expectantly doesn’t help, but with the courage that remains, you continue. “My name is Kim Chaewon. Do you go to this university? Or are you just here to party?” 

 

The other girl’s eyes soften, a light dust of pink appearing across the bridge of her nose. “I’m Hitomi.” Her smile makes you smile. I already know I’ll have to dedicate a part of me to this girl. “And yes, I go here. I’m a business major.” 

 

“Me too!” You exclaim, the shock of already having something in common causes you to raise your voice. You stumble, embarrassed at how loud you were, “Wh-why haven’t I seen you around?” 

 

“I’m a first-year student.” 

 

“Oh, that makes sense.” She nods and the conversation comes to a standstill. The lack of noise and the eyes of a pretty girl on you makes you even more nervous than before. It’s my time to intervene, and I give you a little push forward. 

The little bit of courage I sent seemed to do it, as you clear your throat. “Well, maybe you’ll have questions about classes or something…” 

 

“I’m sorry, but Hitomi our ride is here.” Another one of Hitomi’s friends says, giving you an apologetic smile for interrupting your lame attempt at flirting. 

 

“I’ll give you my number,” she says. You quickly fish out your phone and open your contacts for her to add herself. She hands back your phone, waving before running off with her friends. You look down at the screen to see her information. 

 

Hitomi :) 

XX-XXX-XXXX

 

We both jump in excitement. You calm down before walking back over to Yena, but I continue to celebrate until you fall asleep. 



——————————



Your phone buzzes again, and you light up seeing Hitomi’s name pop up. 



Hitomi :) 

 

Check out this TikTok

 

You click on the link attached but before you even get the chance to play it, Minju snatches your phone. “Chaewon, we came over to study, not to watch you gush over this girl.” 

 

“I’m not gushing!” You defend, huffing your cheeks as you reach for your phone. Minju uses the small height difference to her advantage, holding the phone even further away. 

 

“You’re gushing,” Yena agrees

 

You jump, successfully taking back your phone. You look back at the messaging app, only to see a message was sent during that whole exchange. 

 

You

Ndjsandjnsdjn3r3rn3jn6nfdjkdnw8u3895jjm.dm

 

Hitomi :) 

?

You ok?

Is that you laughing? 

 

You

Haha yes! Sorry, Minju took my phone. 

 

You sigh, locking your phone and glaring at Minju. “She thinks I’m weird now.” 

 

“No,” Yena comforts, rubbing your shoulder. “Everyone thinks you’re weird.” 

 

You shove Yena while Minju laughs. “I like her, I don’t want her to think I’m weird,” You whine, checking your phone again to see if Hitomi has responded. She hasn’t. 

 

“She’s finally admitted it out loud!” Yena cheers, pumping her arms up and down. 

 

“Now, ask her out,” Minju adds.

 

“No!” Your face becomes red at the thought of you going on a date with Hitomi.

 

“Why not?” 

 

“We’ve only been talking for two weeks, and I’m not even sure if she likes me back.” Doubt. Doubt that you can’t ignore. Doubt that clouds your brain and prevents any help I try to give you. I wish I could do more for you.

 

“We’re going to get drinks at the corner store. Want anything?” You almost miss Minju’s question. 

 

“No, I’m good.” You wait for them to leave before sinking into the bed. What holds you back, I wonder? Why would anyone reject you? You’re pretty, smart, and you have a good heart--I should know. 

 

As if you heard my words, you pop up from the bed, slap your cheeks, and pick up your phone. “Kim Chaewon, you g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter