After

What to do when I’m not with you


 

 

“Unnie get down from there!” Called out Seulgi as she watch Irene with walk to the edge.

 

 

“No, Seungwan’s list said I need to conquer at least one of my fears,” Joohyun said as she inched closer to the edge of the ravine they passed by from the trip.

 

 

“You need to open your eyes to conquer that grandma!” Joy yelled and Yeri just looked on.

 

 

“Idiots. But what’s new though,” Yeri sighed as she watched how they coax Irene to come down.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I can’t believe she’s still doing the list,” Seulgi said as she watch Irene sleep in the car next to her. “Well, it’s been keeping her busy let her be,” Yeri said at the front.

 

 

“It’s been giving me a headache, that’s what it is,” Joy said while eyeing the road. “You know I always flinch when I hear something loud. You won’t know how much I suffered when she said she wanted to the zoo because it was on Wendy unnie’s list,” Joy said, unconsciously touching her ear. “I can hear her dolphin screams in my dreams.”

 

 

“We tried baking in the kitchen a few days ago,” Seulgi said. “Yeah, and we still can’t use the oven because of you two,” Yeri mocked.

 

 

“It was an accident!” Seulgi defended. “Yeah, yeah,” Yeri responded. It was again quiet in the car.

 

 

“I saw her cry the other day,” Yeri said quietly in her seat. “With all the things happening, I don’t know how she’s still holding up and doing all these things in Wendy unnie list,” Yeri said as she looked out of the window. The car ride again was silent. They were at the beach side, the sun slowly setting on the horizon. Everyone was spacing out and Joy just focused on the road.

 

 

“Stop,” Joy heard Irene from the backseat. She slowed down and parked on the sidewalk. Irene went out of the car and rushed to the beach. Her groupmates quickly got out of the car and rushed after her.

 

 

They saw Irene stopped infront of the water and shouted.

 

 

“EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY! EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY! EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY!”

 

 

They watch her repeat it several times until she stopped. The only sounds heard were waves crashing on the beach and Irene’s breathing.

 

 

“Sorry. She—,” her friends looked at her. “She told me to scream at the sunset, Seungwan’s list, I mean,” Irene said in between breaths. “When I—I asked her about it, she said I have to tell the sun what I want before it sets for the day— so it will constantly remind me of what I said when it rises again tomorrow,” she breathe as she watch the setting sun.

 

 

“It’s weird but that list kept me sane. With her gone and with all the scandals, I found myself shouting at the sun one day. And then I was okay, even for a little bit,” she said.

 

 

“Do you know what’s the last item on her list?” she said as her friends looked on.

 

 

“Perform as Red Velvet again,” Irene voiced out. Seulgi found herself wiping the tears that suddenly rolled down. A moment of silence passed so they were startled when Joy started shouting.

 

 

“EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY! EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY! EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY!” Joy shouted on the top of her lungs. Seulgi and Yeri looked at each other and nodded. They started shouting as well.

 

 

“UNNIE COLLECT YOUR GIRLFRIEND! SHE’S BEING A MESS! WE WANT YOU BACK!” Yeri screamed.

 

 

“EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY. YOU’LL COME BACK TO US SEUNGWAN-AH” Seulgi cried as she looked at the rays of light being swallowed by the horizon.

 

 

“WE GOT EACH OTHER SO HURRY BACK!” Joy said through the tears she’d been holding.

 

 

Irene can only watch as tears drifted down her face. Her friends rushed to her and they cried on the beach as the sun finally said goodbye.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

“Is my hair okay?” Irene said to Yeri who look at her hair. “I think it's fine, those bangs needs to go though,” Yeri said. “Your sweating, unnie. Are you okay?” Yeri asked.

 

 

“I’m fine, nervous,” Irene said as she glanced at her maknae. She was proud to say she’s grown up to such a fine lady. She’s the one taking the reigns if her unnies are out of sort. Yeri grabbed her hand.

 

 

“Unnie, we're finally at the end of the list, you should be happy,” Yeri smiled at her and she almost cried but Joy called out to them.

 

 

“Come on slowpokes, we’re taking this picture without the two of you,” she ordered. “Huh if you could move your big then we can fit better,” Yeri fired back. Seulgi could only roll her eyes as she squeeze herself more in the booth. Yeri sat next to Joy. Irene was skeptical, opting for a separate shot instead, when a hand pulled her close.

 

 

“Come on hyunnie. You know they won’t take no for an answer,” Wendy squeezed her hand and Irene squeezed back. “A photo as Red Velvet again. It’s been a while,” Wendy chuckled and Irene snuggled to her neck. “You're worth the wait,” Irene whispered and pecked her cheek.

 

 

“Come on lovebirds, we still have a show to film?” Yeri nagged.

 

 

They both walked to the booth. Everyone was happy. Seulgi busted out a smile when she saw her bestfriend. Joy rolled her eyes but the gleam in her eyes was evident. Yeri held her Wendy unnie close. Irene felt the familiar warmth steadying her from behind and she was alright. Wendy is back.
 

 

And everything was okay again.