revolting reality

Time Lapse

“Timeline?”

Although Jessica’s voice was hoarse because of her non-stop crying, Taeyeon could still make out the words she dreads to hear.

“Am I even awake?” The younger woman laughs. She laughs again. And again, like she was really losing her mind.

Taeyeon could understand her. She travelled to the wrong dimension, after all. This Jessica Jung—the one who saves the other Taeyeons in different universes—shouldn’t know about this person in front of her: the one who saves the different Jessicas in other dimensions.

The blonde woman sits down beside Jessica, giving her a few centimeters of privacy while looking at her with worry.

“Jessica, I know it may seem absurd—” She was cut off by another fit of deranged laughter.

“HA! Like coming home to you for the first time wasn’t already absurd!” Jessica laughs again, a hint of sadness could be heard. “And then I wake up with the news of you dying—sure! Everything was normal until the train had teleported me back to the present and I saw you barging in my home, who I thought only exists in the distant future!”

Taeyeon had spent more time with her, than Jessica with the other Taeyeons, that she notices her use of sarcasm. When she gets furious, she ignores all reason and responds to everything with impulse and sarcasm.

“I’m sorry, but just hear me out, please,” pleads Taeyeon softly.

Jessica relaxes at the tone she used. It was as if she was a snake getting charmed by a flute that is Taeyeon’s voice. When the two would argue, Taeyeon would always be the one calming down her partner. She didn’t know she was being conditioned like Pavlov’s dogs, only loosening up and being vulnerable when she knows Taeyeon is there beside her.

She hates how helpless she is in front of her.

“Firstly, by timeline, you mean we’re in the same world?” asks Taeyeon. The younger woman looks at her in confusion.

“Obviously?” says Jessica in a ‘duh’ tone. “We’re on Earth, aren’t we?” She scoffs.

“Sica, you’re not travelling to the future or the past. We’re travelling the multiverse,” explained Taeyeon.

“Multiverse?”

“You and I are from different dimensions. I don’t exist in this universe as you do to mine. I first thought I was in some sort of Doctor Who episode, too,”

“So you're the same as me?”

“Yeah. Like you, I still have no idea why we were picked to save each other in the first place. We don’t exactly live in the same dimension, to start off. But I have a theory that it all started when we first died on the 23rd of December. How we get to travel between worlds through a train, I have no answer to that,” Taeyeon exhales. She looks down on her hands and Jessica holds it.

“We’re here now, aren’t we?” Her eyes soften as it makes contact with Taeyeon’s.

The older woman embraces her. The lavender and fruity fragrance of Taeyeon greets Jessica’s nose.

I’m home.
______
“You said you weren’t meant to go here. What do you mean by that?” questions Jessica, who was laying down on her twin-sized bed with Taeyeon.

“Didn’t you read the note I left to you before?” Taeyeon tucks Jessica’s hair behind her ear, revealing her gentle eyes.

“Is it about overusing something?”

“Mhm,” She nods. “It may be a Back To The Future-esque time-travelling medium that helps us travel through worlds but it will eventually wear out.”

“Will you stay here with me forever?” Jessica finally asks the question.

Truthfully, she wasn’t listening to Taeyeon at all. She just wanted to hear her voice like it was a candy that she can’t stop consuming. Like always, she doesn’t feel the need to put on her mask whenever she’s with her lover. She lets the words escape with ease.

Taeyeon sighs. “I don’t belong in this dimension and I haven’t tried to stay for more than a year, so your guess is as good as mine with the consequences we may face,”

There was a dejected look on Jessica’s expression. The blonde woman hates seeing it, especially when she was the one that caused it.

Taeyeon didn’t realize she was leaning in until their lips pressed against each other. Jessica’s lips were soft and sweet, Taeyeon couldn’t get enough of it. Dear God, she’s addicted. This wasn’t the first kiss they shared, no, and yet it feels like it is. It felt more honest and gentle like it was their very first; purely innocent and free of lust, like genuine love.

They hesitantly pulled apart and open their eyes to catch their breaths. They stared at each other’s soul, silently thanking fate for bringing them together. The couple savors the moment, no words were spoken yet it appears that they have already said their piece and understood their partner better.

“Of course I’ll stay with you,” whispers Taeyeon, who was centimeters away from the younger woman’s face.

Jessica didn’t hesitate to lean in for another.