coffee is what you need 

faint line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonyoung groaned. Who in the world would be that loud this early in the morning? She hissed while rolling on the other side of the bed. Groaning her confusion on her pink pillow. She sighed.  

Wonyoung turned around and stared at her ceiling. It's a dull white with little gold stars painted on them. Replicating the night skies albeit the difference with the base color. Close enough, at least they look nice.  

And as one would expect, her room looks as if it came straight out of a Youtuber’s room tour with its pale-beige walls adorned with polaroids, bus tickets, receipts and whatnots. Big windows that overlooks the empty field and lots of personal decors that run on a weird color scheme — light beige, light brown, pale olive-green, muted salmon and some random plaid prints, be it her bedsheet, her rug or the long curtain hanging by the window. A few real plants here and there and one big mirror on the wall beside the window.  

The room screams Wonyoung louder than anything. Maybe that’s why no one is allowed to enter, well except for one teenager.   

A knock on the door startled the sleepy girl.   

“Wonnie! Time for breakfast!” A bubbly and very energetic voice called upon.   

“I made you your favorite! Come out now, missy!” The person outside the door added.   

“Coming, unnie!” Wonyoung stood up. Facing her mirror, she fixed herself.   

She got out of her pajamas and wore a pastel green knitted cropped button-down top and vintage Levis mom shorts with its edges folded to give off a laid-back look. She braided her long silky brunette hair into one side with few strands hanging around her face framing it. Wonyoung put on a beaded semi-choker necklace and her favorite beaded flower bracelet that surprisingly still fits her.  

Whilst she doesn’t look like a damn CEO, everybody around the island knows how smart and powerful she is despite her taste in fashion. She spreads her beloved Marc Jacobs Daisy perfume and looks at herself in the mirror once more. A smile won't probably hurt so she flashed the brightest one on her reflection and made her way out of the room.   

Another day to conquer life on her own.  

Not really, she has her unnies.  

Another day to own the world.  

She already owns it.  

Another day to get pissed off by rude customers.   

When will it end?   

And finally, another day to escape hell.   

Kind of.   

***  

As she goes down the stairs, you can hear a few indistinct conversations going around and their signature Lucille’s playlist playing softly in the background. Different from the weird and definitely familiar noises she heard just a few minutes ago. It is indeed the same day, just a few different faces and different feelings.   

A woman in her mid-30s wearing a pleasant looking yellow summer dress stared at Wonyoung from a far (aka from the dining table). They’ve been together for quite some time yet the younger one is still as mysterious as ever. The girl would only tell stories of what is necessary and always leave out details that would let people know her deeper. Permitting the skin-deep relationships to linger much longer.   

Minju’s retrospection was cut short when she realized that soon, really, maybe soon, the said girl will finally let loose. And when that time comes, Minju, alongside everyone will be more than ready to embrace her with whatever she needs. In this case, love, affection and perpetual care.   

“Wonyoung!” Minju called. She propped her chin in the palm of her hands.   

Wonyoung made her way to the person looking so bright and bubbly and pretty. “She’s wearing yellow, too much for being so bright I guess.” She said to herself while laughing.  

Minju almost looked like the sun, her lightly tanned skin pops up so well especially with the bright yellow summer dress she is wearing. The light blonde hair she is sporting definitely helped in brightening her bright aura. Not to mention Minju’s whole existence is already the sunshine; the light bulbs or whatever thing is considered bright all packed in a perfectly proportioned body. People wonder how much time God took with making her. The girl is, in the words of her wife, all the good things in life but in the human version.   

“Yah yah yah, why are you laughing?” Minju asked Wonyoung.   

“Unnie, you look like the sun. It's painfully blinding me.” Wonyoung said while covering her eyes and making screeching noises.   

“Oh really? Chaewon said I look fine as hell.” Dramatically emphasizing on the latter part.    

“I guess you’ll have to suffer then babe.” Minju added while sticking her tongue out to Wonyoung.   

Perfectly in that moment Chaewon arrived with 2 plates full with food on hand.   

“Wonnie, yours is with Nako.” She softly smiled at the younger girl.   

Nako arrived with her and Wonyo’s food. The four sat at the end of the dining table while the rest of the guests were scattered around the first floor all munching on whatever the chef prepared for breakfast.   

The sound of conversations, they are, to Wonyoung, are the sweetest sound. Being alone for so long left her longing for mundane sounds like this one. The clicking of the metal utensils or the sound of cups being rested on the wooden table. It's all home to her.   

And that’s why she accepted the offer. From that rich girl who dresses as if she’s the 90s queen bee to being Miss Jang Wonyoung owner of Lucille’s Café and Guesthouse, it was all destiny.   

After quite some time, slowly the conversations lessened, guests were starting their day leaving the guesthouse almost empty, the four being the only ones occupying the dining room.   

It is the peak season, the number of guests that arrives and leaves daily exceeds the quota, Wonyoung even wonders sometimes how they are able to manage everyone. But all thanks to her unnies, running the business is not as hard as her granny told her to warn her.   

***  

Wonyoung was hanging out in her living room surrounded by books when a call surprised her. Managing to get a grasp of what she just heard, she sighed.   

“Mamu, I would fly to see you in Jeju but not to manage your business!” She tapped her fingers on the coffee table in front of her.   

“I don’t even know how to manage one for Pete’s sake.”   

“Wonyo, it’s a great chance to freshen up your life! The air here is way way better than the one you breathe in right now.” Her grandfather retorted.   

“Good point you have there but you gotta let me think about it first. I am graduating in a few weeks, Pops.” Wonyoung replied.   

“Okay missy but only a week to think okay! Mamu still needs to plan our trip! Time is ticking, Wonyo!” And with that, a dropped call from the other line can be heard.   

Maybe the first time Wonyoung understood what “We are going on a trip and we need you to look after our dog” meant she was ready to give in. It was a chance to finally escape hell on earth. To escape the bothering of her parents and their constant need for false reassurance from their only daughter they expect to be all perfect and prim. It was the chance to finally hold herself first before embracing anyone. It was the chance to finally let herself be free.   

And surely, all those thoughts became helpful in making her decision towards this offer from her grandparents.   

Exactly a week after that call, Wonyoung called them again, ready to drop whatever bomb she was holding.   

“Okay, I'll take it. Under one condition.”   

“Hmm?” Her granny hums.   

“No more connection from anyone in Seoul once I set foot in Jeju, Mamu.”   

The chances were slim but knowing her grandparents, who are way way better than her own parents, will do anything to grant her a wish.  

It took long for them to say something. She was about to give up until the voice of her Pops emerged from the line.   

“Consider that done, honey.”   

And right there, Wonyoung celebrated. Just a few more days and she’ll be free.   

***  

The morning routine in Lucille’s is simple. Wake up with loud conversation from the Kims, get dressed for the day, eat breakfast with the rest of the gang, clean the whole guesthouse, open up the café, get some groceries, update the guesthouse’s sites, drink a second cup of coffee in the café or by the living room, have lunch and get the whole afternoon free for ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter