One: I am (Not) Uneasy

Eight Days a Swap
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One: I am (Not) Uneasy

 

 

 

“No.”

Six heads turn toward Irene at once. Three are surprised, two bewildered, and one Sooyoung ecstatic.

Joohyun clears . Now that she has the full attention of everyone at the table, she fidgets. “No,” she repeats, softer and slower. “I don’t disagree with the idea. I just think that we,” she points at herself and her four bandmates (beloved dongsaeng, much cherished troublemakers of hers, hers), “should’ve been given some more time to discuss it, shouldn’t we?”

Sooyoung has to bite back a wicked smile. “Eonnie, technically Yerim and I can’t because of our schedule.” She looks at Seungwan, who frowns in return. “Seulgi-eonnie is also not a good choice, because she’s worked with Moonbyul before. Viewers wouldn’t want a predictable repeat.”

“Hey, rude.” Seulgi’s sharp elbow jabs Sooyoung on the side. Sooyoung ignores her.

Manager Yoon shakes her head. “Sooyoung-ah, you make it sound as if we’re throwing Seungwan to the sharks.”

Seungwan winces at that. Joohyun grits her teeth hard. Harder.

“Why not me, oppa?” Joohyun turns to fix Manager Jeong a kitten glare—one that looks harmlessly cute if only to conceal claws. “I’m of Solar’s age and also the leader of the group like her.”

Manager Jeong fiddles with his round spectacles. He’s been with the company for eleven years and this is his seventh year with Red Velvet, and still he finds these girls’ tendency to be protective of each other endearing. And headache-inducing, sometimes. And by sometimes he means like right now. “Joohyun-ah, ‘leader’ isn’t exactly what they had in mind when they said ‘role.’ Trust me, I’ve clarified this with the PD.” He looks at Seungwan, who gives him a weak smile. It’s okay, she mouthes. Jeong steels himself. Sorry, Seungwan-ah, he hopes she can receive his pathetic telephatic message. “The swap they want is within group roles. Main vocal with main vocal, rapper with rapper, and so on.”

“And who okayed this?” Joohyun’s pout still has that power to disarm everyone, Seungwan even more so—judging from how she seems to shrink in her seat. “The higher up? Ours first or theirs?”

“I think it’s mutual,” Manager Yoon cuts in. She eyes her fellow manager. “Management thinks it’s a brilliant idea—”

“I agree,” Sooyoung chips in, which earns her Joohyun’s adult kitten glare.

“—and besides, I’m sure everyone with even the remotest interest in idol music will want to hear the music Seungwan and Solar create at the end of the turn.”

“I think so, too.”

All heads turn to Seungwan, who speaks for the first time since the two managers round them all in the meeting room and update them on the latest assigned project from the higher-up and its bearer of responsibility.

Seungwan shrugs. “It would be an honor to work with Mamamoo.”

Yerim snorts. “Wow, eonnie. Didn’t know you’d bolt at the first chance to dump us for them.” She’s teasing, everyone knows, but Seungwan—queen of over-the-top reaction and meme—never fares well with reacting normally. She spews out reasons and profession of dedication and devotion and adoration for Red Velvet and Red Velvet alone. “You’ll forget me once you meet Jung Wheein. She’s the puppy of the group, just like you,” Yerim says.

“I will not!”

“But I heard she’s really cute.”

“Well, you’re cuter!”

Sooyoung kicks Yerim under the table. Trust her partner in crime to rope her favorite eonnie into public self-embarrassment. Their managers chuckle at Seungwan outburst, and Seulgi follows suit. Seungwan fixes her former roommate a look of betrayal.

“Point is,” Manager Jeong speaks again, “the decision has been well-considered and Seungwan has agreed. We’re really looking forward to starting the show.” He smiles at Seungwan. “Seungwan-ah, please stay behind after this meeting. There are some more details I need to share with you.”

“I still think we need time to think about how we can improve the show,” Joohyun grouses.

“Your input is duly noted, Joohyun-ah. We’ll make sure to bring this in our next meeting with the production team.” Manager Yoon rises from her seat, tidies up the folders and pieces of paper on the table, and shoves them into her binder. “Now, anyone up for some frozen delicacies? We still have time before your evening schedule.”

“I’m up!” Seulgi and Yerim pipe up in unison, tailing behind Manager Yoon.

“C’mon, eonnie.” Sooyoung loops an arm around Joohyun’s.

Joohyun resists the tug for a moment. “Seungwan-ah, I can stay if you want.”

Smiling, Seungwan waves a hand. “Don’t worry about it, eonnie. Enjoy your treat. Oh, and save some for me.”

“Mint chocolate.” Sooyoung grins.

Seungwan rolls her eyes. “You wish, Doong.”

“Alright, off we go, Joohyunnie,” Sooyoung announces, partly dragging Joohyun to leave the meeting room.

Joohyun looks over her shoulder until she can’t anymore. The door closes behind her, and the last sight of Seungwan she sees is that of her being handed more paper by Manager Jeong.

-.-.-

 

 

 

Kim Shinyoung, senior MC, TV personality, and radio DJ, is playing favoritism when she knows she shouldn’t. She can’t help it. She genuinely adores Wendy and wants the best for her, even when she’s frustratingly too kind and can’t say no and always, always put her bandmates above herself. She eyes Wendy’s younger bandmates, who are giggling to themselves at the way Wendy flusters after she gets teased about her upcoming variety show.

“Why yes, Wendy, I too am looking forward to meeting you again in the show,” Shinyoung says.

“Again?” All five repeats the word in harmony, most likely unconsciously. Ah, perfect. As expected from Red Velvet, Shinyoung thinks.

“Yah, why do you think I know about it? I’ll be the MC for the show.” Shinyoung points at herself. “That’s right. This Shinyoung and Hwang Kwanghee, at your service.” She works at MBC, that’s why. She might have prodded one or two top brass about the production for the show and put her own name as potential MCs. It’s been too long since the girl group realm last got a show like this. More girls working and having fun together, less girls competing with each other, yay. She can’t help missing the old crew of Invincible Youth and Win Win, really.

Wendy brightens up. Irene, on the other hand, turns a bit dejected, Shinyoung notes. She knows what to do, of course. “Say, Irene, you look like you want to cross the bridge as well. If I remember correctly, you and Solar and Apink’s Chorong are all same-age friends, right?”

Said girl does fake surprise well, Shinyoung has to give her that. “I—no, I’m sure Wendy would do well.”

Shinyoung can’t help but up it. “But not too well, no? God forbid she decides she’s having more fun under Kim Dohoon’s wings.”

Both Wendy and Irene fluster and flail their hands wildly. “No, no! That’s impossible. Won’t be. Can’t be,” Wendy insists.

Shinyoung grins. “I’m kidding, I’m kidding.” Both Wendy and Irene bow their head in embarrassment.

“Eonnie will personally drag Seungwan home if that happens,” Seulgi says, laughing.

Both Wendy and Irene snap their head up to glare at Seulgi, who immediately hides her face behind Joy’s shoulder.

A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter