Final

Love in a Hopeless Place (Oneshot)

 

Junhyung sits outside the school office, waiting for the secretary to call him in. Everyone who passes by him whispers to the person beside them, but immediately stop and run away when Junhyung stands up and glares at them. He wants to grab and beat the crap out of them, but he can't because that's why he's sitting outside of the office in the first place. Some junior decided that it would be hilarious to bump Junhyung in the hallway and pretend like he didn't do it on purpose, but he's not laughing now since he's in the infirmary with a broken nose and possibly a sprained wrist.

Junhyung wasn't like this before. When he was younger, he hated using violence to solve his problems, but that all changed when his mother died 4 years ago. His father started drinking and shooting up, and Junhyung would try to stop him, but he ends up getting hit by his father. From then on, his father would leave really early and come back home late at night, heavily intoxicated. He would barge into Junhyung's room, drag him out of bed and hit him, blaming him for his mother's death. Junhyung would cry and ask him to stop, but he wouldn't, so Junhyung had no choice but to close his eyes and wait for the pain to come. Since then, Junhyung changed. He believed that if his father didn't care about him, why should he care for others? Junhyung became cold-hearted and mean, and whoever dares provoke him usually end up in the infirmary. Whenever someone tries to make friends with him, he'd usually ignore them and walk away. 

"Yong Junhyung, the principal would like to see you now." Junhyung huffed and walked lazily inside the principal's office. He plopped himself down on the chair and crossed his arms.

"Mr. Yong, this is the fourth time you've been in my office this month." Junhyung just shrugged and looked out the window. "Look at me when I'm talking to you."

"Can you just suspend me or give me detention or something? I don't have time for this." The principal let out a chuckle and Junhyung wanted to punch the grin out of his face.

"Actually, I'm not going to suspend you or give you detention. What I want you to do is help out a club that focuses mainly on listening to stories of what the members have gone through, whether it be something good or something bad. The objective of the club is to provide help for its members and use different activities to help with trust issues and other things." Junhyung sat up and was about to say something when the principal put up his hand. He pressed the intercom button in spoke, "Tell Miss Park that she can come in."

Junhyung groaned when he saw one of the people that he disliked most in his high school walk through the door. Junhyung hated the way that Dara always had a smile on her face no matter where she is and no matter who she's talking to. Everyone else in the school likes her and Junhyung thinks it's ridiculous. He hates how she's so cheerful and act like everything is fine, when it's not. If only she knew what he was going through, she wouldn't have that stupid grin on her face, but she doesn't, so he's stuck in the principal's office watching as she laughs with the principal and show her pearly whites to Junhyung.

"Junhyung, this is Park Sandara. She's the head of the club I was talking to you about and the one you will be helping for the next 4 weeks." Junhyung scowled and Dara just, you got it, smiled.

"Hi there, nice to meet you. You can call me Dara." She extended her hand out and Junhyung reluctantly shook it. 

The first meeting was hell for Junhyung, well at least he thought it was. It was activity day, so everyone was up and about, playing games. Three people introduced themselves to him, Yoseob, Kikwang and Dongwoon, but he ignored them and sat on the other side of the room. Dara tried to get him to participate, but he wouldn't get up from his seat. He spent the whole meeting sitting in the same spot and when Dara announced that they're done for the day, Junhyung was gone in a flash.

 

 

The second meeting that Junhyung went to was the day that everyone sat in a circle and talked about a certain subject. The topic for that day was abuse. They talked about different things that are related to abuse such as drug abuse, alcohol abuse, physical abuse, as well as emotional abuse. When it was Junhyung's turn, he kept his mouth shut. Dara figured that he probably didn't want to talk, so she sighed and moved on to the next person. 

When it was Dara's turn to speak, she started by saying, "I know that it's hard for some of you to believe this, but if you always keep a positive attitude, it will get better. Maybe not right away, but I assure you that it will soon. Just believe in yourself."

"What a load of crap," Junhyung spat. Everyone looked at him.

"Hey, watch what you're saying!" Yoseob hissed.

"Oh yeah? Make me." Yoseob was about to get up from his chair when Dara stopped him.

"That's enough. I'm sorry that you feel that way, Junhyung. I thought the same thing before, so I know how you feel." Junhyung laughed bitterly.

"Know how I feel? How could you possibly know how I feel? Have you ever been beaten up or hit by your own father like I have been for years?" Dara was taken back by his question.

"Well no--"

"Then you don't know how I feel. So stop making bull up because you're only giving people false hopes." Junhyung was expecting her to look sad or start crying, but all she did was smile weakly. "Stop ing smiling, I hate it."

Dara stopped smiling and nodded her head. Without saying another word, she grabbed her stuff and left the room.

"What the is your problem, ?" Dongwoon got up from his seat and grabbed Junhyung by the collar. "She might have not been beaten up by her father, but what she had to go through was way worse than that."

Junhyung looked at him confusedly. "What are you...?"

Dongwoon huffed and let go of Junhyung. "When Dara was younger, she was by her father and his friends multiple times. She would just wake up in the middle of the night and find herself tied up with a man hovering over her, sometimes her father and sometimes someone she doesn't know. She's tried begging for them to stop and her father would always promise her that it will be the last time, but it never was. Until one day, she managed to untie herself and get away from her father. Dara didn't get far and got cornered in the kitchen. Out of fear of what he might do to her, she grabbed the nearest object, which happened to be a knife and held it out in front of her. He laughed and said that she wouldn't hurt her own father. He tried to take the knife from her, but she wouldn't let go of it and ended up stabbing his stomach. She panicked and called for help, but by the time they got there, her father had lost a lot of blood and died upon arrival at the hospital. Her mother left them when she was 5, so she had to live with her aunt and uncle in their apartment, but they're living in Japan at the moment, so she basically lives on her own. Yes, she knows how you feel, so before you start talking , get your facts straight first."

Junhyung was speechless. He felt so horrible for what he said to Dara. He had no right to treat her that way because she's gone through way more pain and suffering that he ever did. He knows that he has to find her and apologize. He grabbed his stuff and headed for the door.

"Where are you going?" Kikwang asked.

"I'm going to apologize to Dara. Do you know where she might be?" They listed places that she usually goes to after school. With a quick goodbye and apology, he ran out. 

--

He searched high and low for Dara, but he couldn't find her anywhere. He even tried going to her apartment, but she wasn't there either. It was already dark outside and Junhyung was starting to get worried. After another hour of looking, he finally gave up and went home, hoping that he'll see her at school the next day.

When he got to his house, he found his father standing outside with a bottle of alcohol in his hand. 

"Appa, why are you out here?" Junhyung asked as he cautiously walked towards him.

"Boy, w-why are you h-home so ing late?" his father asked, then took another swig of his alcohol.

"Don't worry about it. Let's just go inside." Junhyung tried to help him inside, but he harshly pushed Junhyung away.

"No. Y-You're going to ing tell m-me why you're late."

"It's none of your business, okay? If you don't want to go in, fine, but I'm going." Junhyung started to walk, but his father roughly grabbed his arm and pulled him back. He winced, but didn't say anything.

"Y-You dare talk back to me, you l-little er?" Junhyung looked away and kept his mouth shut. His father broke the bottle that was in his hand and held out the jagged edge in front of Junhyung's face. "I should cut that p-pretty face of y-yours to teach you a l-lesson not to talk back to me."

Junhyung struggled out of his grip, accidentally pushing his father in the process. Junhyung could see the anger in his eyes and he knew that he was in danger. He contemplated whether he should scream, but he knows that no one's going to help him. He's been screaming for years, but the neighbors didn't want to get involved, so they stayed quiet. Junhyung was pulled out of his thoughts when he was pushed against the wall of his house. He could see that his father was getting ready to swing the broken glass right at his face and Junhyung knew that he was really going to do it. He could do nothing but close his eyes and wait for the pain, but it never came. Instead, he heard the front door slamming shut and heavy panting in front of him, almost like someone was crying. He opened his eyes and found himself looking at the back of someone's head. He walked around that person and looked around for his father, but he was nowhere to be seen.  He turned back to the other person and his eyes widened in shock.

"Dara!" She had her hands on the left side of her face and was on the verge of crying. It was only until blood started to seep through her hands and down her neck that Junhyung realized she ran in front of him. He quickly, but carefully pulled her hands away and gasped upon seeing two long cuts along her cheek. They were pretty deep, judging by the way it bled non-stop. ", oh my God!"

"I-It's nothing, Junhyung. I'm...I'm fine." Dara tried to smile, but it hurt too much. Junhyung took off his shirt and pressed it against her cheek to stop the bleeding.

"No, you're not fine. We need to get you to the hospital. God, I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry. First I treated you like during the meeting and now, this." Junhyung couldn't control the tears that were spilling from his eyes.

"Junhyung, stop crying. It's not your fault." Dara wiped his tears with the back of her hand and he leaned in to the touch, missing the feeling of having someone care for him. "Now, how about we get to that hospital?"

Junhyung composed himself and nodded. He thanked God that he lived a block away from the nearest hospital, so it wouldn't be a hassle to walk over there.

-- 

After getting the cuts taken care of, Junhyung went with Dara to her apartment just to make sure that she gets home safely. When they got there, Dara invited him in.

"You can sit on the couch. Would you like something to drink?" she asked. 

"Water would be fine, thank you." Dara nodded and went to the kitchen. When she came back, she held a glass of water in one hand and a cup of tea in the other. She gave the water to Junhyung and sat on the armchair beside the couch.

"Have you eaten dinner yet?" Junhyung shook his head. "Then, why don't I cook dinner for us? I can cook stir fried chicken and vegetables, and maybe corn soup. I know it's not much, but it's filling."

"Oh no, it's okay. I should get going anyway."

"I insist. It's my way of thanking you for bringing me to the hospital as well as back here." She put her hand on his, but Junhyung looked away.

"It's my fault that you got hurt. I said bad things to you earlier without even hearing you out. Dongwoon was the one who had to tell me what happened to you because I wouldn't even listen to you. I don't deserve your kindness." Dara frowned. She set her cup down and got up to sit beside him.

"Hey, look at me." Junhyung turned towards her, but kept his head down. "How many times do I have to tell you that it's not your fault? I never blamed you for anything because, as I told you earlier, I know how you feel. About me getting hurt, that was nothing. There was no way of stopping your father, so it was either you or me."

"You should've just let him hurt me." He was crying now.

"I don't regret my decision, Junhyung, and I never will." She wiped his tears with both of her hands and lifted up his head. "Now, how about we get started on that chicken and corn soup?"

--

"Hey, why don't you sleep here tonight?" Dara asked while they were eating. Junhyung stopped and stared at her.

"What?"

"Why don't you sleep here tonight? You can sleep in my room and I can sleep in my aunt and uncle's room. I don't think it'll be safe for you to go home while your Appa is drunk. He might try to hurt you again."

"It's fine, really. He's usually asleep by now anyway and I don't want to trouble you."

"It's no trouble at all. Plus, I'd sleep more comfortably tonight knowing that you're safe in the next room." Junhyung thought for a moment. He really thought that he didn't deserve to be treated so well by Dara, but at the same time, he didn't want to go home. 

"Um, okay, but you don't have to give me your room. I can just sleep on the couch." Dara shook her head.

"You're sleeping in my room, end of discussion. Now let's finish the food, it's getting cold." 

--

"NO! STOP IT PLEASE! STOP! APPA, PLEASE STOP, IT HURTS!" Junhyung was woken up by screams coming from the other bedroom. He immediately jumped out of bed and ran to where Dara was sleeping. He found her squirming on the bed, screaming, "APPA, STOP, IT HURTS!"

Junhyung rushed to her and tried to her wake up. After shaking Dara several times, her eyes opened and she shot up. She turned to Junhyung and buried her face in his chest and clutched onto his shirt. He wrapped his arms around her and her back as she bawled her eyes out.

"I-I dreamt that A-Appa...he...he w-was..."

"It's okay, it's okay, it was just a dream. He's not going to hurt you anymore." Junhyung just held her in his arm while she cried. After a while, her sobs turned into sniffling, until she was completely quiet and Junhyung knew that she had fallen asleep. He gently laid her back down and carefully pushed himself off the bed. He walked over to the door, but stopped when Dara softly called out his name. He turned around and saw that she was awake.

"Please...please don't leave me, Junhyung. Stay beside me, please." 

Junhyung walked back to the bed and lay down beside her. Dara immediately put her arm around his waist and snuggled up against his chest. He hugged her and rubbed circles on her back to sooth her. "I won't leave you. I'll stay as long as you want."

"I'm s-sorry, Junhyung. I know that it's been years already and I should be o-over it, b-but I can't. It's...What he and his friends did to me w-was just so...It hurt so much...A-And I just...I t-try to b-be strong, but..."

"No Dara, you should never apologize. What he did to you was just so terrible and I know it's not that easy to just forget about something like that. But I promise that everything will get better, maybe not now, but it will soon. You are one of the strongest people that I have ever met and I believe in you."

"Thank you," she whispered. After a while, they both fell asleep in each other's arms.

 

 

Since that day, Junhyung and Dara became good friends. They would often hang out during school, after school and he would even sleep over at her apartment   2 to 3 times a week. Junhyung knew that he liked her as more than friends, but he doesn't say anything about it because he's scared that she doesn't like him in that way. He's just glad that she didn't find a boyfriend yet because that means he still has a chance if he gets the courage to confess. 

People around the school have noticed the big change in Junhyung's attitude. He was much kinder and helpful to his classmates, and it didn't go unnoticed by the girls. These days, so many girls have been going up to him to flirt and ask him out. He would glance at Dara for some sort of reaction, but all she did was grin at him and give him a thumb up. Although she means well, Junhyung couldn't help but feel disappointed because a part of him wants to see her jealous. He politely declines their invitation, but some are pretty persistent, so in the end, he has to tell them that he's not interested. Dara often asks him why he doesn't try going out with some of them and Junhyung really wants to say, "Because you're the one I love, damn it!"

But even though Junhyung has changed significantly, it doesn't mean that his father stopped hitting him. Dara would ask him why he's wearing a long sleeve shirt when it's 30 degrees outside and he would always say that he's used all of his short sleeve ones. 

--

One day, when they were at her apartment, deciding on what movie to watch, Dara asked Junhyung to get a DVD for her at the top of the shelf. When he reached up to get it, his shirt rose up, revealing bluish patches on his back, as well as his hips. Dara's eyes widened and she still couldn't believe that someone could do this to his beautiful skin.

"Why don't you live here, with me?" she blurted out. Junhyung instantly turned around and stared at her.

"W-What?"

"You heard me. My aunt and uncle practically live in Japan, and I don't think that they'll mind if someone lived with me. In fact, I think that they'll be happy because at least I won't be alone."

"Why do you want me to live with you all of a sudden?" She walked to him until they were only a few inches apart. Junhyung's heart started beating fast and if she steps any closer, he thinks that it might explode.

"Because I want this to stop." She lifted up his shirt and traced the bruises on his upper body, some fading and some fresh. He winced and closed his eyes, but it was a good kind of pain. "Because I love you and I don't want the love of my life to be in so much pain."

Before Junhyung could realize what Dara just said, he found himself being kissed by her, her soft, pink lips moving against his. He s his arms around her waist and pulled her closer as she entwined her hands in his hair. After what seemed like hours, they pulled apart, panting for air. They looked into each other's eyes and, without words, understood their feelings for one another.

 

 

It took a couple of weeks for Junhyung to finally pick up the courage to pack his things and leave his father. Dara respected whatever decisions he made and assured him that her feelings for him won't change no matter what. When Dara found him outside her door with all his belongings, she didn't say anything and just let him hold her as he tried to hold in all the emotions that he was feeling at the moment. 

"What did your father say?" Dara asked as they sat on their bed, her between Junhyung's legs with her head rested on his chest. 

"He said that he didn't care if I left. I was a useless, good-for-nothing son anyway and then he called me some other things, but I'd rather not say it." Junhyung sighed and rested one side of his face on the top of her head. 

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not. The only reason why it took me such a long time to leave the bastard is because I had this small hope in me that there's at least a little bit of love for me in that cold, messed up heart of his. But after what he said today, I knew that he'll never go back to the Appa I knew and looked up to before my mother died." Dara intertwined their fingers together and kissed the back of his hand.

"I was like that too. The only reason why I didn't ask for help or tell somebody is because I believed that he loved me and that he wasn't in his right mind at those times. I believed that he'd realize that what he was doing was wrong and that everything will go back to the way they were, when he would bring me to the amusement park, buy me ice cream and tuck me into bed. I guess I only realized that it would never happen when I was holding out that knife in front of me and he looked absolutely murderous, like he was going to kill me with that knife once he got his hands on it."

They were silent for a while, feeling safe in the warmth of each other's hold. 

"We're broken aren't we?" Dara started.

"Possibly, but as long as we're together, we can put back each other's pieces." Junhyung whispered in her ear as he hugged her tightly. 

 

 

"...Will you marry me?" Junhyung asked nervously. "There, how's that?"

"Dude, you sound like you're about to faint. Ask with more confidence," Yoseob said. Dongwoon and Kikwang chuckled behind him.

"God, I'm so nervous. What if she says no? I don't know what I'll do." Junhyung paced around inside the men's washroom. 

"Junhyung, you'll never know until you try," Kikwang said.

"Now go. You've been in here for like 30 minutes. Dara must be getting worried," Dongwoon added. "Plus, I'm pretty sure she'll say yes, you've been together for years."

"Go! We'll be watching on the side." With that, Yoseob pushed Junhyung outside of the bathroom. He took a deep breath and walked back to where he and Dara were sitting. 

"Babe, what took you so long?" she asked as he sat down.

"Uh, there were a lot of people in the bathroom." Dara nodded and went back to eating her dessert. Junhyung sat still, thinking about he should go about proposing to her. 

"Hello? Junnie? Are you okay?" Dara waved her hand in front of his face.

"Huh? What? Oh, uh, yeah." Junhyung took another deep breath. "Well, uh, we've been together for 5 years-- No that's not it. You and I have been through a lot-- Wait, no. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time and-- Hold on--"

"Junhyung! What are you trying to say?!" 

"I love you so much, willyoumarryme?" Dara looked at him with confusion.

"I love you too but--"

"Stop. You don't have to say anymore, I understand." Junhyung put his head down on the table as Dara continued to look at him with a puzzled expression.

"Understand what?" she asked.

"I understand that you don't want to marry me." Dara gasped, causing Junhyung to lift up his head.

"You were asking me to marry you?! Oh Junhyung, I would love to marry you!" Junhyung's eyes widened.

"Then why did you say, 'I love you too, but...?’”

"I was going to say, 'I love you too, but I have no idea what you said after that because you were talking too fast.’"

"God, I really thought that you didn't want to marry me and--"

"Junnie, just shut up, come here and kiss me." Junhyung grinned and happily obliged. He walked over to her and she instantly jumped up, throwing her arms around his neck. 

"Do you really want me to kiss you now? People are looking." Junhyung moved his head closer to hers.

"I don't care." She moved hers closer until their faces were an inch away from each other.

"Yeah, I don't care either." With that, he captured her lips in a long, passionate kiss. 

 

“Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.” - Harvey MacKay