Chapter 1

City Meets Country
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By the time the board meeting was over Soojin was exhausted, she looked at her watched and to her dismay it was only 12pm. She huffed in annoyance as she walked down the hallway with employees standing up to greet her.

 

Seo Soojin. She is a first class woman, the first born child in her wealthy family’s latest generation. Her family came from old money, and she knew better than to take complete credit for her success. There was some work from her part, hard work; after all she didn’t just graduate summa cam laude from the prestigious Seoul University with a double major under three years without spilling blood, sweat & tears.

 

Through rigorous and intense training instructed by her father, she quickly climbed the ladders of the corporate world as Chief Operating Officer of Seo Indusrty; the largest food provider in Asia. Which by time, she will inherently own once her father steps down from his position as the CEO.

 

Still, she knew fully well how lucky she is; even though there were times she just wanted to jump out of the window; and today is one of those days.

 

“Ms. Seo, you have some contracts to sign,” said Dae, a petitie woman wearing large rounded spectacles who works as Soojin’s secretary. “Also, our guest has contacted us that she has reached Seoul.”

 

Soojin sighed as she sat down in her office. There was so much to do and she barely had time to fit everything in for today, especially since her father has assigned her to take care of their major supplier who was visiting the city.

 

“Soojin, our contract with Song Farm is coming to an end. They are our biggest supplier and other competitors are eyeing them,” said Mr. Seo as he took a sip of his tea.

 

“I am ahead of that, I’ve sat down with the legal and finance team to set up another contract that will definitely appeal to them. Would you like to review it?” asked Soojin, confident as she studied all her competitors before setting up the contract.

 

“I’ve talked to Mr. Song, and he said he’s sending a representative to the city; his daughter, younger than you by a year or two,”

 

“She’s staying for two weeks to sign a contract? Isn’t that took long?” asked Soojin

 

“I think he wants her to enjoy the city, explore around, maybe get her to understand the business more. She’s the only daughter so I assume she will be the heir, he might her to take the forefront of things from now on; kind of how I am depending on you too,”

 

“Not an issue. Ill handle all the arrangements,”

 

Soojin recalled the memory and groaned. How could she have forgotten that an important guest is going to arrive today.

 

“All the arrangements have been prepared, she will be given the top services,” said Dae, reading her bosses mind

 

“Is the chauffeur picking her up?”

 

“Actually she said she’s making her way here herself. I’ve given her the address” said Dae, as she set down the contracts on the desk.

 

“I’ll be busy these two weeks with her, anything urgent let it come through me; the rest distribute it accordingly to my subordinates,” instructed Soojin as she started to review the documents.

 

Dae nodded as she left the office, leaving Soojin deep in her work. She was too engrossed in finalizing her work for the day, by the time she looked at her watch it was already 3pm. She stood up to take a stretch before grabbing her phone and replying to her messages.

 

What is taking her so long? Thought Soojin. She should have instructed Dae to be persistent about the chauffeur.

 

Before her thoughts could wonder off, there was a soft knock on her door followed by Dae slightly opening the door announcing, “She’s here.”

 

Soojin looked at her reflection adjusting herself as she plastered a smile on her face before walking out of the door. What she saw next baffled her.

 

In front of her stood a child faced woman, wearing muddy dungarees with a white shirt, braided hair with dirty looking straw hat; there was a huge suitcase next to her that made Dae look smaller than she already is.

 

“Hello, I am Song Yuqi!,” the stranger ecstatically said out loud as she bowed ninety degrees.

 

This couldn’t be right…Soojin thought. Soojin is completely sure that the Song Family are loaded; after all she is the one that signs off the amount that must be transferred to them; and it’s a fortune that could possibly last generation after generation.

 

So why is this stranger, who claims she is Song Yuqi, dressed as a hillbilly?

 

Soojin broke her train of thoughts once Yuqi raised herself from the bow & faced her with sparkling eyes and huge smile on her face. It was time to be professional.

 

“Nice to finally meet you Yuqi, I am Seo Soojin,” she said as she extended her hand towards Yuqi

 

What happened next took her completely off guard; Yuqi took a step forward and embraced her in a tight hug. Dae’s eyes widened at the action, while Soojin remained frozen in her spot; everyone knows how much she hates physical interactions and here is this stranger hugging the life out of her.

 

“I’m so glad to finally meet you! Sorry for being late, I took the wrong bus that took me to the other side of city and I had to wait for the right bus to bring me here,” Yuqi explained

 

“No please, it’s our mistake we shouldn’t have left you alone,” replied Soojin, trying to hide her puzzled expression of why an heiress is riding a bus. “You must be really tired.”

 

“Not at all, I’m so excited to see the city. I’ve heard so much about it from my father I can’t wait to explore it,”

 

Yuqi was smiling too widely and Soojin couldn’t help but wonder if her jaws would hurt from smiling too much.

 

“Shall I give you a brief tour of the company since we are here and then we could head out?”

 

“Lead the way!”

 

Soojin seemed stunned by the loud voice but maintained her composure, though she laughed awkwardly. “Dae please call the chauffeur to pick up Yuqi’s suitcase and drop it off to the hotel,”

 

Dae immediately nodded as she picked up the phone, but stopped once she heard Yuqi say, “Oh, I wont be checking in a hotel. Your father said I’ll be staying with you,”

 

****

 

Soojin kept huffing as she was pacing back and forth in her kitchen with her phone in her hand, waiting for her father to pick up her call. She didn’t quite understand why her father would make a decision without informing her, he’s never done that before and it has frustrated Soojin to no end.

 

“Wow, this is so huge!” she could hear Yuqi from the living room. “Your couch is only a bit bigger than my bed,” she exclaimed excitedly

 

The moment Soojin’s phone vibrated, she picked it up immediately, “Dad, please explain what’s going” as she tried to calm her tone

 

She could hear her father laugh at the other end of the line before replying, “She’s around your age Soojin, and it’s her first time in the city. She comes from a rural village, I didn’t want the cold city to scare her.”

 

“You could have at least informed me beforehand,”

 

He laughed again,”Im sure you two would get a long just fine; enjoy your time. I think it’s also good for you to take a small break from work and spend time with Yuqi.”

 

Soojin groaned as she closed the phone and placed it on the kitchen island. Her idea of a break is sitting on a private beach in Maldives or shopping at the street of Milan; not being a tour guide for a hillbilly.

 

She walked out of the kitchen and saw the younger girl was glued against the window marveling the view, in awe at the sight that was looming below her. “I think I can see the end of the earth,”

 

Soojin rolled her eyes and let out a deep breath before placing a smile on her face, “Yuqi, I would like to introduce you to someone.”

 

Yuqi turned around and behind Soojin stood an elder woman dressed in uniform, standing upright greeting the guest with a warm smile.

 

“This is Mrs. Kim, she is the butler, anything you need she’ll do it for you,”

 

Mrs. Kim took a step forward, “It’s a pleasure to meet you Ms. Song, I’m at your service,” as she continued to bow tow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter