Engagement

Engagement

Kwon Eunbi went out for a run; it was getting harder and harder for her to sit still while facing four walls. A drop of rain fell on Eunbi's face and then another one and another one until she could not feel anything anymore as her skin went numb from the cold; Seoul was under a drizzling rain still she kept her pace. The bridge of her nose burned up as she was restlessly thinking; about a person, more precise, a girl named An Yujin.

She tortured herself; thinking about An Yujin but walking on her right side is another person. Why was it so hard for her to breathe, just by thinking about something so trivial? The 28-year-old stood rooted to the spot for a while as tears spilt down on her cheeks. She was still thinking about Yujin, a 20-year-old who made Eunbi suffered and angsted like that.

"It might not be trivial at all", Eunbi whispered to herself, "Could it be?"

She erased a specific thought as soon as it was starting to appear in her mind.

Eunbi did not want to think of it out loud let alone saying it right from her very lips; she was too terrified of it, a coward indeed. Eunbi made it clear to herself, decided to make herself avoid all the problems which involve with the girl called An Yujin.

"HEY"

 An intense shout cut Eunbi's train of thoughts. She turned her head and gave them a deadly glance for that disgrace act, obviously disgruntled but did not bicker with them. She gaped in utter shock, blinking her eyes as she did not believe what she saw.

It's An Yujin, with a car, in the driver's seat.

"Oh— Hey", a brief reply from Kwon Eunbi.

"Ah— How cold!", Yujin beamed a bit, "Don't just stand there. Get in! It's raining for God's sake".

Without any second thoughts, Eunbi ran straight forward and hopped right in Yujin's the car. She leaned up toward the rearview mirror, fixed her wet and slightly tangled hair. An oddly quiet atmosphere surrounded the two for almost a minute.

"It's been a while since we last met, isn't it?" Yujin leaned closer, tried to make eye-contact through the mirror to break the ice.

"Yeah. It's been like... A whole month maybe?" Eunbi startled and backed off a few centimetres—Which shut off the light-hearted smile on the younger girl's face.

"How is it going? You're fiance..." The older secretly inquire about the 20-year-old's life with a natural and gentle tone, hiding all the anxiety which was eroding her slowly from the inside.

"Oh, you knew already?" Yujin's eyes wide opened, "Hmmm, we have been sorting things out. We're getting there soon".

Eunbi nodded and nodded and nodded.

Then lapsed into silence; she could hear her own heartbeat—loud and painful.

"She's getting married. Isn't it a bit early? She's still in her 20s, why wasted into marriage? She should have been on a journey, a wild one, with me."

As those thoughts spontaneous ran through her mind, Eunbi was almost got eaten up by negative emotions.

"I'm going to flush out all the things that I want to say even if I might not be in the right state of mind at this moment", Kwon Eunbi took a deep breath and continued, "Should you not be in school right now? Should you not travel around the world right now? Should you not enjoy your youth right now? Marriage is just too much. That person doesn't even know you, like really know you."

Eunbi talked while facing out the window; she crossed her arms to suppress her shuddering shoulders because she did not want anyone seeing her vulnerable, especially An Yujin.

"How do you know he doesn't know me?", Yujin asked with a bitter voice while gazing at the pouring rain outside, she did not let Eunbi answer her question, "He knows me well. He gets me. He sees the real An Yujin that no one has ever figured out. Don't judge him".

Eunbi could not utter any more word. Her tongue went dry; was parched. Was it because tears keep flooding out from her eyes?

"An Yujin", Eunbi stopped holding back her words, "I know I'm a selfish, ignorant with no self-esteem little by saying all these things but that guy doesn't know you better than I do, not a chance. We've been looking after each other for almost a year. A guy like him won't—"

"No, you're wrong about him. But you got something right—you being ."

Eunbi turned over, bringing fierceness in those glowering eyes and grabbed Yujin's left wrist, "I don't give damn if you're cursing me, even you're crusing me. That's how much I hate the idea of you being with him".

"Eonnie! You were crying!? Why—" The older would not let the younger had any chance in finishing her sentence.

Eunbi sat up on her knees, she became taller than Yujin at the time. She slowly lowered her head and closed her eyes; her soft lips gently touched Yujin's. An Yujin lips, like rose petals bathed in dew. Yujin trembled, her mind went blank; She only felt two things: her heated face and the pressure of Eunbi lips. Eunbi's eyes slightly opened; she caught a glimpse of Yujin's blushing cheeks along with her quivering eyelashes. Their lips parted as Eunbi finally let go. She moved her thump on Yujin's trembling lower lip.

"I know I shouldn't be doing this. I know it's wrong in many ways" Eunbi sat back on her seat in floods of tears; she broke down, sobbed and snivelled.

Yujin murmured with a shaky voice, "Why did you do that?", her eyes filled with tears.

"Don't you get it!? Why don't you get it!? I'm in love with you.", Eunbi raised her voice.

"No", Yujin stunned.

"Why wouldn't I be?", Eunbi gazed at those droplets falling on the car windshield; it was too soul-wrecking to look at An Yujin's face when she said "No".

"This is impossible."

"I knew. I'm sorry"

"NO!", An Yujin yanked her hand out of Eunbi's, "Since when!? Recently!? But we haven't met for a whole month."

"Since we were still working together. Three years ago, for exact." Eunbi confessed in pain

"Don't effing lie to me woman. It's impossible for you to love me. You had someone 3 years ago! You were hiding but we all knew your little dirty secret", Yujin was starting to lose herself.

"I didn't want to admit it. I was scared that these feelings of mine would destroy our relationship. I didn't want to risk that!" Eunbi looked down on her thighs; she cried even more.

"And why are you doing this now? Right here, right now. If you could keep it for the past three years, why won't you take it to your grave?", Yujin got angrier.

"I cannot bear seeing you getting married with someone else", Eunbi cried out loud without trying to suppress her feelings any more.

"Eff this! Eff that! Eff all of this crap", Yujin put her two hands on her Kwon Eunbi's cheeks and pull her over to face her directly, "I love you."

Eunbi widened her puffy red eyes, confused.

Yujin brushed of Eunbi's two streams of tears on her burning cheeks with a heartsore smile.

"Aren't you head over heel for that guy? Those things you said about him earlier!" Eunbi sniffled.

"Those are the truth but I didn't mean anything like that. He's known I was mad on you since the beginning." Yujin kept wiping Eunbi's tears even though the had any sign of stop flowing in any time soon.

"How?" Eunbi moaned in her loud cry.

"He was one of my best friends after all. It's true that we're engaged but it was our family doing." Yujin pinched the older's heating cheeks making it red.

"How can I never heard of him!? And you said you guys were 'getting there'?" Eunbi muttered enough for the two to hear.

"I didn't want the person I like to know I had a freaking fiance! And yeah, we're breaking off the engagement." Yujin grinned brightly as her dimples sank deep into her cheeks.

Kwon Eunbi snapped; she knocked hard on Yujin's forehead with all her strength, yelling: "Why the hell didn't you tell me sooner!?"

"Ouch!" Yujin howled while rubbing her head, "I didn't know and I wasn't sure!"

Seeing the older sulked in tears; Yujin felt guilty for making her loved one cry like that. She noticed a pouty lips; it reminded the pure maiden about the kiss earlier, her very first kiss.

"Eonnie", Two dimples appeared again, "You may don't know this but... That was my first kiss. You stole mine and I wasn't ready!"

"I'm sorry but-"

Let's kiss one more time." Yujin interupted the cry baby.

Kwon Eunbi shyly tilted her head over and tenderly laid a kissed on a dimple, "I love you"

"No. Not enough" Yujin face was steaming hot.

Yujin put a hand around a small hip, the other hand the glossy dark hair; she burried her fingers inside Eunbi's silky hair in the most delicate way.

"It's still wet a bit, we should-" Yujin laid a kiss on Eunbi's forehead.

"Leave it" Eunbi forcefully wrapped her arms around Yujin's neck.

Yujin moved the hand she had on Eunbi's hip to her back, brought her closer. Eunbi's soft body pressed against Yujin's; their faces we were inches away from each other. The fair young maiden looked down at two quivering closing eyes, waiting for a kiss; her eyes then fall on those cotton candy plump lips. Her bashful dimples flushed pink, getting deeper after every heartbeat. Yujin felt deviant tremors, bravely touch Eunbi's lips, in a slow and tender way then became aggressive as both of them longed for each other more and more. Those innocent mouths redden at every each bite, melted under the violent pressure coming from their thirst, for one another. They could only hear each other's small moans from gasping above their own kissing sound. It was difficult to breathe yet harder to let go. Eventually, they had to. As their lips parted, Yujin blankly stared at the one she loved. Eunbi was gasping for breath; her breathe luciously moving her up and down. Eunbi's rosy cheeks, her impish glossy lips, her teary eyes and her lingering sweet scent in the car; Yujin could not get enough of it. She wants her more.

"We hurt each other for so long" Eunbi said with her glittering watery eyes.

"That's why from now on, I'm won't make you shed any more tears", Yujin's dimples playfully pop up, "Let's break this engagement up!"

"Wait, now?", Eunbi flicked her hair, fixed her wrinkled clothes.

"No. Of course no. I'm driving you back. It's really dangerous to let you going out walking around while you're exploding pheromons like that", Yujin avoided eye-contact.

"Oh", Eunbi crossed her arms and leaned back on her seat, "Sorry."

"Don't be", Yujin caressed the top of Eunbi's head, "I'm happy that you became like that when you're with me"

It was no longer raining any more. They didn't even realized it. They were immersing in their stories; they gradually talked it all out, four years of secrets, four years of pain.