Chapter 1/1

Such an Adventure: The Fight

A/N: This chapter merely focused on Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

 

Junmyeon entered the lobby of his apartment. He lowkey greeted the security at the front door. Entering 5 years living in the apartment, he basically knew everyone who worked there, not that they were close but just some simple greetings every time he met them. He hit the lift button and waited for it to come. He let out a deep breath. Today was a busy day at the office, well they were busy for the past seven days. There were new products waiting to be launched next week and everyone, like every single one who worked in the company had to work double the effort they did everyday. The launching event was expected to be grand and works were hell to make it grand. It was 9 to 6 work for Junmyeon but because of something like this happened, once or maybe thrice in a while, he had to work overtime and be back at home when the sky was already dark. 

 

Junmyeon succeeded in entering the Parks company, so thus Kris. They did their intern there and proceeded with fixed positions. Even though they basically knew the boss, the owner of the company, their jobs today were not due to the 'special' connection. They did it like everyone else, with all resumes, knowledge and skills. They did the job interviews and all steps. Even Mr. Park was surprised to see them in his company when he met them during their intern as he did not know they actually worked for him. Someone else interviewed them before, that was why. They worked in the same company since then but in different departments.

 

Kris and him still had good connections with the kids. They were all grown up now, all the kids were already in school. Luhan and Minseok were in middle school while the others were in primary school. Kris and Junmyeon did babysited them during their college years for so many times as they were titled as the main babysitters for the kids. Only if they, both, had other work to do and could not do the babysitting, the parents would find another person to do the job. That was something they felt proud of. Not only that, the income also was very worthy. 

 

The kids were still mischievous as before but maybe it was leveled down a bit lower, just a little bit . But still, they were as loud as when they were young. As the two oldest already old enough to take care of their brothers and Kris and Junmyeon were busy with work, the babysitting job ended just like that. 

 

The two adults moved to the town to live in an apartment near their workplace. They shared a unit together in the middle of a bustling town. Junmyeon said it was convenient and cost effective or in hidden words, the adult still needed his friend to take care of him. Never separated from his parents since birth took a toll on him. He could take care of himself, sufficient enough, but not a house. Kris was totally done after he had to run for two kilometres just to get rid of invading cockroaches in Junmyeon’s apartment for five times. On the sixth, he just told Junmyeon to just move in with him. Junmyeon, in Kris’ eyes, seemed like he was living in a store filled with boxes and stuff instead of a house. That kid clearly did not clean his space when nobody nagged him.

 

As they moved together, the kids found it was really convenient to randomly come and invade their house. As soon as Junmyeon entered the house, it was titled as their main hangout place especially during the weekend. They ended up with a pizza party or sleepover. And now, during the weekend Kris and Junmyeon would expect a guest, or two, or a bunch of kids ringing down their bell. But it was not like every weekend they went, maybe every two to three weekends. It was not like the two adult care. It was boring for them both too to always see each other's faces, every single day. 

 

Junmyeon stepped out of the lift and walked down to his door. His mind was filled with what he had to do as soon as he stepped inside the house. He wanted nothing but to just crash on the couch and sleep until tomorrow morning. It was really tempting but for sure Kris would nag at him. Besides, his stomach was growling right now. 

 

His train of thought stopped when he spotted a figure crouching down next to his door. Surprised, he did not expect a guest during work day. The said guest was sitting on the floor, cross-legged, head hanging down and appeared to be in deep sleep. He was still in his school uniform and his school bag sat beside him.

 

“Chanyeol-ah. Wake up. Why did you sleep here?” Junmyeon shook the kid. His voice woke the kid. He squinted his eyes and looked at the house owner before he loudly yawned.

 

“Let's get in.” Junmyeon entered the code and opened the door. Chanyeol, still in a daze, followed him from behind.

 

“Did your mom know you’re here?” Junmyeon asked and he was answered with a hum.

 

Junmyeon put down his case on the dining table, which he and Kris never used to actually eat there, and proceeded to the kitchen. “Ramyeon?” He showed a pack of ramyeon to the kid and he just answered with a nod. 

 

Something was wrong. Chanyeol was never quiet like this. It was either the kid was still sleepy or he was down with something. Junmyeon picked up the pot and filled it with water to cook the unhealthy but fast-and-easy-to-cook meal before telling the kid to just wait for him in the living room but the kid did not budge. There was a frown on his face.

 

“Care to tell me what’s wrong?” 

 

Chanyeol grumbled. “I hate dumb Baek.” 

 

Of course. It’s Baekhyun. Junmyeon sneered. If you expect Chanyeol and Baekhyun won't fight after the iron man incident then you are wrong, totally wrong. Not even a month after that, Baekhyun got a big mark bite on his arm after he tried to steal Chanyeol’s precious minicar. They did not talk for nearly a week but thank god Baekhyun did not run away from the house like his brother. And to make it worse, their fight intensified (I mean with the times they fight, not the force. Chanyeol wont hit Baekhyun that hard) when they grew up.

 

“What happened this time?” Junmyeon calmly asked, already used with the conflicts. He thought he already solved an amount of the kids’ conflict. Having so many brothers, they were bound to fight with each other of course. Junmyeon thought at times, he could pass to be a certified counselor for the Parks. Too bad, psychology was not his virtue.

 

“He-- he likes the girl I like.” Chanyeol whispered, slightly embarrassed to tell the adult about his love life. 

 

Junmyeon grimaced. They were already at this stage of life? They were just 11. At your age, my aim is just to study and get good grades, not falling in love, for God’s sake. “Who is she?”

 

“My classmate.” The kid mumbled.

 

Junmyeon stirred the boiling ramyeon on his stove. He picked two big bowls and got whatever leftovers he got in the refrigerator. He served them on the counter, in front of the still depressed kid. They could eat there. Both picked up their chopsticks and started digging in. 

 

“Is she beautiful?” Junmyeon asked while munching a piece of new kimchi he got from his mom. 

 

“The most.” The kid took out his phone and showed him a picture, a picture of a girl sitting at her desk, attentively listening to whatever the teacher was talking about. He could tell it was a stolen picture. She did not even look at the camera. This kid.

 

Junmyeon hummed. She was beautiful. Even though he could not see her entire face, her side profile was already so beautiful. These kids had taste.

 

“Is she your girlfriend?” Junmyeon asked.

 

Chanyeol froze at the question before he looked down at his empty bowl. “No.” He whispered.

 

“No?” 

 

“Not yet.” The kid whined and pouted. “But hyung. She is the most perfect girl I have ever seen. She gets the highest grade. She’s so nice. She’s good at sports. She even knows how to play piano. Everyone adores her. All my friends like her.”

 

“Everyone likes her?” Junmyeon was answered with eager nods.

 

“So why does it matter if your brother likes her too?”

 

The question stunned him. Yeah. Why did it matter? He was even fanboying over the girl with his friends. He did not feel jealous of them. Why? Was it because Baekhyun was close with the girl? Was it because Baekhyun was already her friend because they had a piano class together while Chanyeol stuck to be just one of her classmates who she only knew the name? Was it because Baekhyun got to spend time with her after school everyday because they had to finish a music project together? 

 

He did not care when other people liked that girl, he did care when Baekhyun liked the girl. It all started when Baekhyun spent too much time with that girl. He did not want that. He ran both hands through his hair frustratedly. 


 

“Talk it out with your brother. Nicely. Don’t fight.” Junmyeon softly patted the kid’s head, picking up the empty bowls to wash. He then ushered the moping kid out of the kitchen.

 

“Let's get you home.” Junmyeon picked up his car key, the car rarely used. He went to work by train, together with Kris. The station was only walking distance and the company was only one stop from their house. Kris also didn't use his car that often, only when the weather was bad or other occasions that needed them to drive, like when they needed to drive the kids home, like tonight. 

 

Junmyeon was ready to walk out of the house when Chanyeol grabbed his arm. “Can't I sleep here tonight?” A pair of doe eyes was pleading to the adult.

 

“Aren't you supposed to go to school tomorrow?”

 

“Hyung, it’s Saturday.”

 

He looked the kid in the eyes. “Oh...” He definitely lost count of days.

 

“Fine. You can take the guest room. You bring your clothes?” Junmyeon asked the kid but Chanyeol shook his head.

 

“I’ll grab my tee and short. You go take a shower. You're stink.” He walked to his room, leaving Chanyeol alone in the living room. A loud gasp was heard from the kid before he yelled No I'm not . Junmyeon laughed. Even though he couldn't see him, he was sure there was a big bad pout on his face.




 

They settled in the living room after showering, watching a variety show while waiting for bedtime. For some reason, all Junmyeon’s fatigue was gone as soon as he knew tomorrow was the weekend. No work, no stress. He could sleep all day tomorrow. He was feeling overjoyed.

 

“Hyung?”

 

“Hmmm”

 

“Have you ever fought with Kris hyung because of a girl?"

 

Junmyeon kept his eyes on the screen while munching his snack. His mind was busy recalling his memories. Did they ever? They did not even have the same preference for a woman and Junmyeon could not even remember the last time Kris was dating someone, or he himself. They kept themselves busy with work, and rarely went out for fun. People kept telling them to date, their parents especially, and even set them out for blind dates, but after one traumatized date set up for Kris, the said man stopped going out with random girl, Junmyeon too after he heard the story from his friend. 

 

"Ah…There's one."

 

The kid shifted his attention from the screen to the older, eyes widened with excitement to hear the story.

 

"Is Mrs. Wu counted?" Junmyeon laughed out loud. He could see the kid's face dropped before a pillow was hardly smacked to his face. 

 

What? It was true though. He once fought with Kris because he wanted Mrs. Wu to stay at his house while Kris firmly stated his mom would stay with him. It was when they still lived separately. This was all because Mrs. Wu promised to make her most delicious beef noodle soup for breakfast but it was only for the house she would stay that night. Their argument which kept circulating between she's my mom and I don't care had made Mrs. Wu fed up and she ended up ditched them both and stayed at a nearby hotel. Both of them lost that night and their craving for the woman's noodle soup was left unsatisfied when the woman flew back to China the next day.





 

"It is not worthy." 

 

"What's not worthy?" Chanyeol looked at the man curiously.

 

Junmyeon sneered. "To fight because of a woman. Or in your case, a girl."

 

Is it? Chanyeol frowned. Didn't people say we have to fight for love? If she or he is the one, your fate, your love, you have to fight for them, to get them only for you and just you. Isn't it?

 

"How long have you known this girl?"

 

Chanyeol mentally counted. He actually knew her since kindergarten but never really spoke to her, at least not for more than 3 words a day. "5 years-- or less."

 

Junmyeon smiled. "How long have you known your brother?"

 

Chanyeol scoffed. He already knew the answer, why he even asked. They were once in the same womb. 

 

"Baekhyun was already there with you since you took your first breath. Every minute counted, every day, every year and now you're already 11. Eleven years of being brothers and now you hate him. Are you really sure you want to sacrifice these years just for a girl you barely know?" Junmyeon mentally scoffed at himself. Such a heavy talk for an eleven year old boy. But the kid needed that talk. Junmyeon was sure Chanyeol could already think all about this, to know what to do, what was right and what was wrong.

 

"It was not that I would sacrifice Baek for her. I don't hate him. He is my brother." The kid mumbled.

 

"But you said you hate him?" Junmyeon retorted.

 

"No. I'm not."

 

"You are."

 

Chanyeol paused. "Am I?"

 

"You're still young, Chanyeol. You will meet a lot of people in the future. Don't worry about love now, kid." The older man told.

 

Chanyeol was lost in his thoughts, the words were sinking in his mind when suddenly he heard someone punching the code to enter the house. Both heads whipped to the front door, only one person in their mind.

 

"I'm home." Kris' deep voice was heard followed by a loud call of Junmyeon hyung by a certain someone. Kris had brought a company with him tonight. 

 

Who was he? 

 

Loud gasps were heard as soon as Chanyeol's eyes met the guest. His face scrunched, and his smile turned upside down. Junmyeon thought Chanyeol was already settled with the problem he had but apparently it was not. As now the source of the problem was in the house, loud arguments of why you're here and I was here first echoed through the apartment. 

 

Kris plopped down beside his friend, deeply sighed. "Where you'd find him?" Junmyeon asked, the two kids were still loudly screaming at each other's face. 

 

"He waited for me outside the building."

 

"The company?"

 

"Yes. The company."

 

Junmyeon looked at the still arguing kids. With their screaming and yelling, they were lucky the nearest neighbour was across the hall and this unit was a bit soundproof as this was an elite neighbourhood. If not, they might expect furious knocks already at the front door. 

 

"You had the talking with him?"

 

"You had too?" Junmyeon nodded. "The girl?" His friend nodded again. Baekhyun had told Kris about his side of the story at the park on their way home, unaware of the other side of the story was told to Junmyeon. Kris was not good with words but he thought he already had given the kid his best advice for the situation. Kris sighed loudly. Clearly their talks, both sides, did not work well though.





 

Apparently, the kids stopped arguing in mention of food. Kris told them he would call for pizza if they stopped screaming at each other. And it worked. Now they had a calm, late night supper with a large size hawaiian pizza on the table. Kris and Junmyeon should say bye-bye to their diet plan. 

 

The two kids seemed to get along well now. Chanyeol helped his brother tearing up the chilli flakes packet and Baekhyun poured the drink for Chanyeol. They even shared the last piece of pizza.

 

"So that's it?" Both of them looked at Junmyeon, obliviously. "So, you're okay now? No more arguments, screaming or anything loud?" He asked again.

 

"Nope." They simultaneously answered, loudly munching food. 

 

"Why?"

 

"You said I should choose Chanyeol first because he's my brother-"

 

"-and you told me to choose Baekhyun over the girl."


 

"So I choose him."

 

"So I choose him."


 

Both of them shrieked, hand stretched out like a Pokemon master before loudly laughed for their antics. Junmyeon scoffed. The adults were worried for nothing. 

 

The adults left them for awhile earlier when Junmyeon went searching for the delivery numbers while Kris took a shower. It could be that time they resolved everything between them.

 

Junmyeon warmly smiled. The kids already knew how to sort things by themselves. There were still silly arguments here and there and Junmyeon was sure this was not going to be the last time they fought. But at least, they knew what was important for them. The kids were all grown up. Junmyeon felt he wanted to cry.

 

"Now lets sleep. Help me clear this up. It's late already." Kris abruptly stopped his thought. The tall adult already made his way to the kitchen, picking up the box and threw it away. The two kids were kind enough to put away all the cups they used and washed them. It was kind of weird when they did that without whining, Junmyeon thought, but it was good. He cleared up the living room, wiping the coffee table from all spilled drinks and pizza crumbs, and put the said table on the corner, leaving the area for the kids to sleep. The kids preferred to sleep on the futon rather than on bed, and the adults were happy to comply. At least they did not need to clean the rarely used guest room.  

 

Chanyeol was on his way to get the futons,pillows and all necessary things they needed in order to sleep comfortably when the doorbell rang. He walked to the intercom and pressed the button, certainly acted like the owner of the house, "Who is it?"




 

"You traitor! How come you leave us and have a sleepover with just the two of you?! And more importantly, WHY YOU LEAVE ME?!" Jongdae yelled into the intercom, clearly annoyed by the fact his supposed-to-be-loyal comrades had betrayed him, the triplets number three. His loud voice made Kris, who was already settled in his room, jump out of his bed. Kris could clearly hear Sehun's voice over Jongdae's string of curses dedicatedly to Chanyeol and Baekhyun. "Hyung, let us in," it was Sehun's and Kris was sure the other kids were here too with the chaos from the intercom. All the kids were here. Kris could already sense the incoming headache.