Chapter 2: Breaking the Ice

Love Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Deal.” Seulgi and Jaebeom both said. As soon as the word came out of their mouths, they felt a little regret.

 

“Wait, before anything else, let’s set out some rules.” Jinyoung, who probably was the most responsible of the bunch said.

 

“Rule #1: we get to plan your dates. 3 dates. Each would last 3 hours each. If you would not cooperate, bets over. We win.” Mark said as if he had thought about it prior. Everyone around them nodded in agreement with him.

 

“Rule #2: There would be no , or extreme touching, unless… you both want to.” Jisoo added, making others laugh. Jinyoung wrapped her in a hug and kissed her forehead.

 

“Rule #3: No phones/gadgets during said dates. We know you two so well, you’re just going to use your phones to avoid each other.” Jinyoung added.

 

“Rule #4: If you fall in love, then I get to be the best man. Then I’ll start my speech with “You’re welcome!” Yugyeom joked, causing Jinyoung playfully punch him on his arm.

 

“I’m the bestfriend, I get to be the best man.” Jinyoung warned Yugyeom.

 

“Yah! No one’s getting married!” Seulgi said which earned her glares from the 3 couples surrounding her. “OK, maybe you’ll be getting married but this lady,” she said as she pointed to herself, “certainly wouldn’t fall in love and marry that…someone.” She ended as she pointed at Jaebeom.

 

“Excuse me? Any girl would be lucky to have me. Maybe you’re just scared because you might actually fall for me?” Jaebeom rebutted.

 

“Yah! Stop with the fighting! If you two won’t keep quiet, we’re going to lock you in a room together for the night. And remember, you two already got a few drinks. You’re losing your inhibitions anytime now.” Jisoo warned them, causing the Seulgi and Jaebeom to do what she asked.


“So, are we all in agreement now?” Jackson asked. No one answered, so he took it as a yes. “If no one’s gonna complain, let’s call this a night. These two have a date to prepare for tomorrow.” He added before he dragged Seulgi and Jaebeom out of the house.

 

 

 

 

Seulgi had changed her outfit for the 7th time already. Wendy and Mark planned the date but they didn’t give her a clue of where the date would be. For a moment, Seulgi wanted to back out but she remembered what was at stake—the painting.

 

It wasn’t just a painting. It was her mother’s.

 

Seulgi remembered watching her mother paint. She was barely 8 that time but she could memorize all the details during that day. Her beautiful mom, whose dress and hands were stained with paint, called her over to see her collection. “Gigi,” as her mom used to call her, “I’ve finally finished my last piece! Just in time for the exhibit next week!”

 


“What do you call this painting, mama?” Little Seulgi asked as she stared at the painting in front of her. It was 2 women holding each other.

 

 

“Intertwined souls.” Her mother started. “This is you and me. You are my daughter through and through and I will always be with you.”

 

Seulgi didn’t know that she should have treated it as a premonition. 7 days later, her mother was found lifeless in her studio. Brain aneurysm.

 

Seulgi’s father blamed his wife of her own death. She worked day and night non-stop for her exhibit. He never really questioned her passion before but he felt like she chose her career over their family and now, their daughter was without a mother. He wanted to erase everything that reminded him of her. Having lost the love of his life, he sold all the paintings and brought Seulgi to South Korea with him.

 

Seulgi wiped her tears as she recalled the past. Her dad still had not found the courage to talk about her mother with her. He didn’t even know that she was looking for the paintings.

 

Next year would be her mom’s 15th year death anniversary and she planned to open an exhibit of all her paintings. She wanted to tell the people the story behind every painting just as her mother had told her. She wanted to finish what her mom had started and perhaps, she and her dad could finally have closure to her sudden death.

 

Seulgi’s phone rang, breaking her thoughts.

 

“Seul, the car’s already outside your house. Please tell me you’re ready.” Wendy said on the other line. Seulgi took a peak outside her window. The car was a black limousine. Perhaps, that was a clue?

 

“Give me 5 minutes.” Seulgi said before she took off her dress and changed for the last time.

 

 

 

“Did you really have to wear a fancy dress for a picnic?” Jaebeom said as soon as she saw Seulgi step out of the car. Seulgi decided to wear a simple black dress that ended just a few inches above her knees and her black Louboutin and she was starting to regret now.

 

Seulgi opened her purse to get her phone, only to remember that her friend confiscated it. She turned red out of embarrassment. She made a mental note to yell at Wendy for not telling her the date was in the park. But then, Wendy did tell her to dress down. Seulgi interpreted it as “don’t wear a gown or a long dress” like she did when Chanyeol, her ex-suitor, asked her ou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter