Final

I Love You Morse!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Among the weirdest topics Chaeyoung and Mina talked about, they both know that Morse Code is the best.'

 

 

I. QUANTUM PHYSICS/ OLFACTORY BULB

 

Chaeyoung loves to visit public libraries. , she loves to know random knowledge that would help her to do well in her future. She was researching the evolution of telecommunication. Upon picking up a book about the telegraph, she read a specific topic that caught her attention: Morse Code. 

 

“...Samuel Morse, the inventor of Morse Code was a painter,” she read then saw a picture of a painting on the book titled’ Dying Hercules’. “So, he was a painter, why did he create Morse code?” she asked herself and turned a couple of pages.

 

“...he received a message via horse messenger that delivered messages from point A to point B that his wife was gravely ill, by the time he read that message his wife was already dead. He even missed the funeral. He developed Morse Code to ease the pain of his heart and to revolutionize faster communication.” she stopped reading and sighed.

 

“Sometimes pain leads us to create beautiful things and revolution.”

 

Chaeyoung saw the chart of Morse Code and decided to study it. Having a grandfather that is a war veteran who knows Morse Code and used it on battles during World War II, Chaeyoung thought she could learn it too like her grandfather.  After an hour of futile efforts, she plunked down the table and just decided to listen to music.

 

After a few minutes, she felt a tap on her shoulders.

 

“What are you up to, little woman?” a familiar voice asked and Chaeyoung doesn’t need to look up to know who it was. It was from Mina. Chaeyoung heard the screech of the old chair and some books being placed on the table.

 

“Don’t bother me, I’m sleepy…” she lazily answered back as she heard pages of a book being turned, the smell of the book made her look up and frown. “Books smell so good, did you know that?” Chaeyoung smiled sheepishly and Mina ruffled her hair.

 

“Silly,” Mina smelled the book and said, “It smells like… wood?”

 

“No, it smells like Vanilla.”

 

Mina shook her head and said, “I guess you're delusional.”

 

“I’m not, there’s a scientific explanation for it. The vanilla-ish scent is that almost all wood-based paper contains lignin, which is closely related to vanillin, thus books have a hint of Vanilla scent. It’s something about the chemistry in the air and the brain's olfactory bulb.” Chaeyoung explained like a brainiac she is.

 

Mina raised her brows and playfully commented as she leaned over, “Did anybody tell you that you’re odd?”

 

“My personality is a palindrome.”

 

“Which is?”

 

“Never odd or even.” Mina scoffed and a bright idea went inside her head.

 

“I used to have fears of palindrome so I went to the doctor to get treated and you know what he did?”

 

“What?”

 

“He prescribed me ‘Xanax!’” Mina giggled from her own joke.

 

Chaeyoung frowned, she's totally not amused, “I heard that joke before.”

 

“T-That’s...okay, olfactory genius. Now that you’re up and completely bothered by me, I need help with this.” Mina showed her a book about Quantum Physics and Chaeyoung looked at her weirdly, “I don’t remember you having a subject about Quantum Physics. Your field is journalism.”

 

“RIGHT, but I still want to learn about it. This book is quite complicated.” Mina sighed frustratedly.

 

“Then, why bother reading about things you don’t understand?” Chaeyoung rolled her earphones and put it on her bag and looked at Mina’s book.

 

Mina shrugged and said, “Sometimes, I pretend I’m smart by reading books I don’t understand but when I reach the point of understanding, I feel like Einstein.” 

 

“The only thing common with you and Einstein is your dishevelled hair.” Chaeyoung dryly commented.

 

Used by Chaeyoung's antics, Mina takes no offence, “Make sense, but what if the theory is true?”

 

“Which one?”

 

“That there are infinite numbers of the universe, we are not living in just one space; rather, there are infinite transcripts of us in other worlds that may happen to have completely different personalities and fate?” Mina excitedly said and continued speaking, “But I guess this is the best version of me because if there is something much better than me, then I might be a goddess!” she spoke with much confidence and Chaeyoung gagged and rolled her eyes.

 

“Well, I hope YOU and I are not friends in another universe because I want to stay...” 

 

“Mean.”

 

“W-What, I was just trying to say...Fine, Let’s head out, I’m famished.” Chaeyoung took her book to borrow it on the counter and Mina put her arms on Chaeyoung's shoulders. Both feel comfortable with each other.

 

“Your treat.”

 

"Beat me to death."

 

II. THE LAW OF ATTRACTION/ HOLLOW EARTH THEORY

 

The two of them went to their usual cafe doing their usual things, Chaeyoung ordered an Americano for herself and Mina got her usual Strawberry Cheesecake. Chaeyoung seems to be fond of the cake as well so she keeps on asking for a slice.

 

“Can I have a bite?” Chaeyoung held her fork excitedly as she eyed for the strawberry toppings while Mina was busy searching for conspiracy theories on her laptop.

 

“No.” Mina heartlessly denied Chaeyoung's plead.

 

“Ah, Mina! This is not funny! I thought that what’s yours is mine as well!” Chaeyoung whined. She looks like a five years old kid deprived of a toy by her goddamn mother named Mina but of course, there will be no here. Just a little crack.

 

', she's so cute," Mina thought and she bit her lip to stop the smile forming on it but she loses.

 

Mina shook her head and chuckled at the sight, “Why did you order that dull coffee if you wanted sweets in the first place?”

 

“I like things Bitter-Sweet.” 

 

“Okay.”

 

Chaeyoung's eyes twinkle in happiness and she said, “Really?” She was all ready to stab that mouth-watering strawberry with her fork.

 

“Yeah, once you take a bite, you’ll gain 20 pounds when you reach your 30’s,” Mina said monotonously and her glasses darkened like those in anime.

 

Chaeyoung was almost offended and put her fork down, “Did you just hex me? You’ll be stuck with that chubby lady for the longest time.”

 

“No, it’s the power of words and the Law of Attraction. It works by the way.” Mina slyly grinned knowing she won.

 

“It’s a hoax.” Chaeyoung countered the argument.

 

“It’s a theory of the universe that states that you are Aladdin and the universe in your genie and it’s true if you firmly believe in it.” Mina made a point.

 

“Then, I’ll have $500 in my pocket in 3 seconds,” Chaeyoung asked unrealistically and scoffed, her eyes suddenly widen

 

Then something stuck in her pocket…

 

“I think I have something in my pocket.”

 

“$500?”

 

“No, it's gum.”

 

“I guess you have to be realistic.”

 

“Well, I’d like to have anything without moving an inch.” Chaeyoung shrugged and looked at Mina, “What are you doing?”

 

“I’m searching about Hollow Earth Theory.”

 

“Oh, is it like Earth within the Earth? Like inception?”

 

“Nope, it’s an advanced civilization inside the core of the Earth. They said that humans were created by reptilian aliens.” Mina explained, if Chaeyoung is a brainiac, count Mina in the brainiac gang too.

 

“Sounds like a HOLE truth.” Chaeyoung sarcastically said.

 

“We have to be open-minded sometimes. I could be a reptilian alien and you might not know about it.” Mina stated infinite possibilities but Chaeyoung remained closed.

 

“Well, you're not green and reptile.”

 

“Such an alien racist." Mina rolled her eyes and resumed her research.

 

“I’ll just read my book,” Chaeyoung said and opened her book and Mina secretly glanced at her and started tapping the table.

 

Two short taps, one long, one short tap a pause, a short tap, a long tap, a pause and a long tap again.

 

Chaeyoung could only just look at her Americano spilling and back at Mina.

 

"Mina, if this is the new way of you tormenting me, I am hurt about my 4 dollars spilling right in front of my ing face,"

Mina tapped more loudly with a teasing grin on her face.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” Chaeyoung asked

 

“Well, you’re reading about Morse Code, right?” Mina pointed at her book.

 

“Yeah, I want to learn about it.”

 

“I know Morse Code, but I can only understand 20 words per minute.” Mina said nonchalantly and Chaeyoung gasped and shook Mina's body as she said in praise, “, that was the highest skill of Morse Code!” 

 

“Well, I may be a World War II soldier in another universe.” Mina said trying to make herself sound cooler, “Ever heard of the soldier who blinked T-O-R-T-U-R-E on national TV in front of his enemy during World War II? I might be that dude in the parallel universe.”  she stated facts and Chaeyoung gave s about it by being highly interested.

 

“Whoa, then I have to learn this. Maybe you can help me to practice?” Chaeyoung suggested and Mina was happier to serve.

 

“Sure thing.”

 

After three hours of overstaying at the cafe and reading about Morse Code, Chaeyoung can now read some words on Morse Code. Having perfect audio pitch and proper ear training when she was young, she remembered the sounds made on the table a few hours ago and decided to decode it on her notebook.

 

Two short taps, one long, one short tap a pause, a short tap, a long tap, a pause and a long tap again.

 

“Ah, I’m sleepy.” Mina yawned and closed her laptop

 

“Mina,” Chaeyoung called out.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Did you just call me ‘FAT’?” Chaeyoung frowned as she looked at her codes and back to Mina who looks guilty for her crime.

 

“O-Oh, right,” Mina nervously laughed “Take it as your first practice.” then smiled awkwardly to escape her own crime scene before she sees her body dead.

 

 

III. BINAURAL BEATS/ VIBRATIONS

 

Mina thinks Chaeyoung is cool. Just a little weird but she’s weird too so she doesn’t see this as an issue to not hang out with her. Mina likes Chaeyoung, the girl is pretty, smart, a genius and unique but Chaeyoung is just OBLIVIOUS.

 

From subtle hints:

 

“You look pretty today.”

 

“You look cute when you smile.”

 

“Let’s watch a movie together!”

 

 To obvious hints namely:

 

“Kisses on the cheek.”

 

“Hugs”

 

“Touches.”

 

"Accidental kisses on the mouth,"

 

But she felt as if it was left in the cordial platonic zone by the latter. Thus, she settled on being a typical best friend that teases Chaeyoung all the time just to get her attention. Lying on her bed, all she can do is a wonder how could she properly convey to Chaeyoung how she feels about her.

 

“Well, I hope YOU and I are not friends in another universe,”  she remembered Chaeyoung’s words very well and nodded in agreement.

 

“Yeah, because we’re lovers in an alternate universe.” she sighed and proceeded to open her laptop and do her nightly routine. "I hope in this universe too." 

 

She constantly researches about “HOW TO MAKE YOUR CRUSH LIKE YOU?” and practices affirmation and subliminal. Not getting the result she wants, she decided to learn how to create her own. She layered positive affirmations that she recorded with some low fidelity beats that she made on FL studio and added the layer of binaural beats that she panned in left and right ears to be subtracted altogether to result in 432 Hz to give out the LOVE FREQUENCY. 

 

“Chaeyoung likes me.”

 

“Chaeyoung loves me.”

 

Her Subliminals seem to sound like witchcraft instead of hypnosis, but it’s for a good cause. She has to listen to it every day to manifest the result she wants. Now that Chaeyoung learned Morse Code, maybe her hints of love would be understood in a form of rhythmic code.

 

~The next morning at the library, 

 

Mina

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter