New Arrivals

Seven Queens

New Arrivals

 

“Are they here yet?”

    Yoohyeon was brushing out her grey hair by the window when Siyeon and Sua arrived. They had only met two weeks ago but already she was used to seeing one and looking immediately for the other.

    “Not yet,” said Jiu from beside her, “but we saw some carriages a minute ago that’s probably them.”

    Sua leaned past Yoohyeon to look, her straight black hair falling into her face. Yoohyeon pulled back making a playful face. Jiu laughed a little.

    “I can’t wait to meet the little one,” she said.

    Siyeon patted the shorter woman’s head with a grin. “You are the little one.”

    Sua pouted, straightening up again. “I mean the youngest one.”

    “Her name is Gahyeon,” said Dami, finally joining them. “And just because she’s eighteen doesn’t mean she’ll be small. She might be taller than all of us.”

    Sua pulled an unhappy face. “I hope not.”

    “Aww, don’t be sad.” Siyeon pulled the grumpy Sua into her arms and hugged her a little too tightly. “You’ll still be our tiny warrior queen.”

    Sua elbowed her hard and gave her a stare that still made Yoohyeon a little nervous even though she knew Sua was only joking. Probably. Siyeon had never much seemed bothered by the looks shot her way but maybe that was because she was from the Moonlit Mountains in the east. It was a very different place from Faeland.

    “She graduated top of her class just a few months ago,” said Dami. “At least we’ll have someone with some intelligence around here.”

    “Heyyy,” the rest of the group chorused, apart from Jiu who only laughed.

    Dami smiled. Yoohyeon had learned quickly that the general’s daughter was as likely to tease the others as Siyeon and Sua, she just did it in a quieter way.

    “Oh, look, look!” Jiu patted Yoohyeon’s arm eagerly and perhaps a little too roughly. “That must be them.” She pointed out the window at two large white carriages rolling up to the front of the palace. 

    Everyone crowded in, pressing Yoohyeon against the window uncomfortably. Strangely none of them seemed to be crowding jiu quite so much even though the window didn’t offer much space.

    “Ooh, I like her hair,” said Jiu as the first girl emerged, her dark blond hair skimming her shoulders. “Do you think I would look good blonde?”

    “You would look good with any colour,” blurted Yoohyeon almost blushing as the words emerged. Jiu gave her a little smile. Sua said something then but Yoohyeon missed it. She hoped her words hadn’t sounded like she was annoyed Jiu was so perfect. Jiu had smiled so she seemed happy but Jiu was too polite to cause a fuss.

    “Yoohyeon?”

    “Huh?” She jumped up, dropping the brush that had been dangling forgotten in her hand the whole time.

    Jiu laughed with that bright smile that always made Yoohyeon smile back. “We’re going down to meet them. Come on.”

    Her hand slid familiarly into Yoohyeon’s and she tugged her towards the door.

 

    Downstairs they waited at the main entrance in a line, Jiu in the middle as usual. 

    “Don’t you think this might look a little intimidating?” asked Yoohyeon.

    “You greeted me like this,” said Sua who had been the last of the group to arrive two weeks ago.

    “Were you intimidated?” asked Siyeon with false sincerity. She placed a hand on her friend’s shoulder. “You can be honest with us.”

    Sua looked down her nose at Siyeon, which was impressive given the fact she was shorter than her. “I thought I was in the wrong place when I saw they let you in.”

    “Yah, you’re so mean!”

    Siyeon pinched the other girl’s arm but before Sua could retaliate the doors began to open and Jiu shushed them. They all fell silent as a guard opened the door and the two, slightly surprised looking, girls entered.

    “Hello,” said Jiu moving forward eagerly and with that friendly smile of hers. “I’m Jiu and this is Yoohyeon, Dami, Siyeon and Sua.” She pointed out each of them in turn and they all smiled. Both of the new girls looked a little nervous at the unexpected welcoming committee. 

    The shorter of the two looked at the blonde girl they had spotted before, letting her answer first.

    “I’m Handong,” she said. Her accent showed she was from the south-eastern region of Jin Yin. That region had only become part of the empire a few generations ago and Handong was only the second queen chosen from there. Yoohyeon thought she could relate to her on that matter. There had been few fairy queens as well.

    “A-and I’m Gahyeon.” The other girl lifted her shoulders and smiled a little awkwardly. For a second her eyes flashed with fear as Sua abruptly moved a little too close. She was looking at the top of Gahyeon’s dark hair rather than her face. Then she turned to Siyeon with a look of triumph.

    “I told you she was little.”

    Siyeon touched her hand to Gahyeon’s head then slid it over to Sua’s. “I think she’s still taller than you.”

    Jiu jumped in before anything else could be said. “Why don’t you come with us and we’ll show you our rooms. You must be starving. We’re going to eat soon.”

    Typical Jiu, always thinking of food. Yoohyeon had no idea how she stayed so thin. She glanced over her body enviously but was quickly distracted by what Gahyeon said next.

    “You must be from Faeland. They told us one of you was a fairy.”

    Yoohyeon almost answered before realising she was talking to Jiu. She shouldn’t have felt bad because she had been confused by Jiu’s purple hair too but something about Gahyeon’s innocent words made her stomach feel weird. She smiled awkwardly.

    Jiu laughed. She seemed to like people mistaking her for a fairy. “No, I just dyed my hair. Yoohyeon is the fairy.”

    “Hi,” said Yoohyeon with an awkward wave. Gahyeon’s embarrassment made it worse.

    “Oh, I’m so sorry. I’ve never seen a fairy. I didn’t know.”

    “No, no it’s fine,” Yoohyeon apologised like she was the one who said something wrong.

    “Don’t worry,” Siyeon put in casually. “Everyone makes that mistake.”

    Yoohyeon blushed like it was her fault for not having bright enough hair. People always thought of fairies as having light pink or blue or purple hair even though a fair amount had more common colours like blonde and pale brown too. She supposed outside of FAeland no one really thought about grey haired fairies. Especially a darker grey like hers. Reaching up she ran her fingers self consciously through her long hair.

    “Come on,” said Jiu again, looping her arm through Gahyeon’s. “Let’s show you to your rooms. I’m sure you’ll love them.”

    Yoohyeon stepped aside as Jiu took control. The others crowded around their last two members leaving Yoohyeon to trail behind them, her cheeks still warm and uncomfortable.

 

A/N: Thankyou for the subs and upvotes so far :-D  They made me so, so happy!! You have no idea.

Sorry Handong fans but she'll say more next time, I'm sure. Maybe my Gahyeon biased shone through and I couldn't help but give her more lines. How are people feeling about their characters so far?