Abuse (Part 1)

Your pain and mine.

Yes, sorry, I got tired of hording my writings cause I keep writing the first chapter and then getting a new idea and starting that, so these'll have parts, forgive me.

-------------------------

 

When Soojin was a baby, she didn’t cry very much and had been very calm, so it was quite a surprise when she was starting to learn to walk and her moods suddenly started changing.

She’d start crying for no apparent reason, and she’d whine like she was hurt at random times.

Her parents didn’t know what was happening to her, so they took her to doctors to see if there was anything wrong with her.  Of course, most doctors just guessed that she was evolving personality wise since it’s not uncommon for drastic changes in such during childhood, however one doctor had asked them to come back and report, so after multiple visits the doctor determined that it was most likely a result of her connection with her soulmate.

She was too young and unable to properly communicate at the time, so as long as she was not actually being harmed as far as the doctor could tell, they would simply wait until she could talk to them.

As Soojin slowly grew through adolescence, she began to become more peaceful again, and her parents hadn’t brought up the topic since she might not have even remembered what she was feeling.

Then, when she had been around 5 and approaching 6 years old it started again.

 

“Ah, It hurts! It really hurts~” Soojin whined suddenly while holding her stomach.

They had been in the middle of watching a family movie and her dad was quick to react, “What is it? What happened sweetie?”

“I-I don’t know, like, I really don’t, it’s like, I don’t know, I got kicked here, in my tummy,” Soojin said, still clutching her stomach.

“W-what? How is that possible though? No one kicked you,” Her dad said, still worried, but confused.

Soojin’s head jerked to the right suddenly and she cradled into a ball position while holding her head, a ringing echoing through her head as if after impact, “Ow-!!”

 

It was consistent throughout that night and Soojin could only yell out in agony as it felt like she was constantly getting struck off guard.

Her parents were quick to call their doctor’s office and they were in the next morning.

“Okay, so apparently it felt like she was being attacked even though no one was hurting her?” The doctor asked, skeptically looking down at the clipboard as she rocks side to side in his stool.

“Yes, she was crying all night,” Her mother said firmly, obviously sleep deprived after being worried for her daughter all night.

“Mm, I see...So, how long did it last then?” He asked, sitting up more professionally and polling a pen from his coat pocket.

“It stopped around 2am, and started at about 8 the night before, right honey?” Mrs. Seo checked with her husband as she hadn’t been paying much attention to the time.

“Yeah, something like that,” He said absentmindedly, staring at his exhausted looking daughter.

The doctor clicked his pen and started scribbling, “I assume there’s no physical bruising?”

“Yes, that’s correct,” Her mom answers swiftly.

The doctor starts taking it more seriously and he nods his head to himself and he rolls his stool so he’s right in front of Soojin, “Hey there,”

Soojin being the shy kid she is, slightly bowed her head and looked down.

The doctor chuckled, “I don’t bite, relax. I just want to know what it felt like for you last night.”

“U-uh, well, It was like I was getting hit or running into stuff even though I was just sitting,”

Soojin’s mom had a surprised look on her face as that had been the best korean she’d ever heard her daughter speak. Her husband noticed and chuckled, setting a hand on and patting her shoulder.

“I see, I see, well, I’m not an expert in this area, but I’d guess it would have to do with her soulmate, possibly feeling the other’s pain,” He said simply.

“That actually makes sense. Our old doctor told us some of her older problems were probably related to her soulmate bond,” Her mother says, drifting into memories.

“Old problems?” The doctor asks, intrigued.

“Y-yes, well she would cry out and we wouldn’t know why when she was younger,”

“I did?” Soojin didn’t realize it had come out of and diverted her eyes from everyone.

The doctor laughed, “Well, she did, didn’t she?”

“Yes,” Her mother said simply.

“Hmm, okay, since there are no physical injuries, I’ll recommend you to an expert. She has special abilities that would allow her to provide you with a more definite answer and possibly a solution,” The doctor scribbled on a pad and handed it to her mother, “I wish I could be of more help, but I’m not sure if there’s much to do, especially for me,”

“No, thank you so much, doctor,” Her dad stood up and shook his hand while her mother came to her side and helped her stand up.

“Oh-” Soojin hissed suddenly as her mom was pulling her up.

“What? What is it?” Her mom asked worried and crouched down in front of her.

“Ah-  It’s nothing, it just...feels like I’m...I don’t really know, like getting poked with something sharp in my leg,”

Her mother looked back towards the doctor who looked slightly guilty for not being able to do much, “It’s possible that her soulmate’s been injured. If I’m right about that, unless you know who they are, she’ll be in pain until her soulmate gets treated themself.”

“I- No, of course we don’t, she’s only still a child,” Her mother said while rubbing her back.

Her dad sighed while gently squeezing his wife’s shoulder, “All right, well thank you doctor for everything,”

“Oh no! I didn’t do much! But, I will call the other doctor and try to get you in as early as possible,”

“Well, still thank you,” Her parents thanked him and guided her out of the room.

The pain didn’t stop for days, and as it eased, it was slow and grueling.

“So, I’ve read the report from my friend and from it said, I think I agree with his conclusion, however I think you should come back anytime it becomes too much. From this, I’d guess your daughter’s bond with her soulmate is incredibly strong, and the pain might even be amplified on her end, but, try to remember that the same could be for her soulmate.” The lady on the other side of the desk said.

“Ah, I see-”

“Wait,” Soojin said quietly with widened eyes.

“Hmm? What is it?” The doctor said intrigued.

“D-does that mean…?” Soojin was trailing off, feeling stupid for not realizing it sooner, “Someone is actually getting hurt somewhere else?”

The doctor sighed, “Yes, I would believe so,”

Everyone went silent, and Soojin was in a trance as she replayed the pain and felt sick as she imagined someone going through that.

“So, what exactly do you do?” Her mother asked after a while.

“I have a degree as a therapist, but… I work on a more spiritual level usually. It’s easier to do one on one, but I have no problem if you two would like to stay during it as well,”

“Soojin, what do you think?” Her mom asked softly, with her dad leaning over her shoulder looking just as intent as her mother.

“I-I don’t really care...but, I…” Soojin wasn’t comfortable being alone with a stranger but when she raised her head and met the caring smile on the woman’s face she realized she’d rather talk to a stranger about this than her parents, “I think it’s fine,”

“R-really? Are you sure?” Her mom said, surprised.

“Mm,” Soojin nodded her head.

“Okay, well, would you like to start right now?” The doctor said while looking at Soojin.

“Right now?”

“Mm,” The lady nodded her head, “but only if you want,”

“I-I guess..”

“Okay,” The lady said while laughing.

She opened one of the drawers behind her desk and pulled out a folder, then moved some stuff to the side and cleared part of her desk, “Could you bring your hands here, like this?”

Soojin copied the doctors flat hands resting on the desk.

“Is it okay if I take her hands in mine? It’s part of the process, but I don’t necessarily have to do this part physically, it’s just faster,”

“I-I don’t see how it’d be a problem?” Her mother commented confusedly.

“Ah-” The doctor hesitantly nodded her head, realizing that most people wouldn’t think anything malice of a woman touching a kid, “Alright, close your eyes Soojin and focus in on that pain that isn’t yours,”

“Okay,” Soojin did so as best she could.

“Breathe, Soojin, deep breaths,” The doctor reminded her as she closed her eyes as well.

“Okay,” Soojin replied softly again.

The doctor’s eyebrows furrowed as she tried to reach out with Soojin’s bond to her soulmate. She tried to keep herself stilled but she couldn’t stop the occasional ticks of her head to the side, and Soojin started feeling it as well. It was fuzzy flashes of something then something definite, a shoe heading right towards the stomach and an echoing yell of something incoherent.

“Baba?” Soojin says confusedly and opens her eyes shortly after realizing the woman had already let go of her hands.

“Alright, so, I’m sad to say this, but I do not believe your pain is necessarily amplified if anything from your soulmate’s,”

“S-so what she feels, I feel?” Soojin asked with worried eyes.

“Ye-” Before the doctor could answer, her mother interrupted.

“She?!” She practically yelled with a hand over .

Soojin tilted her head, wondering what she was yelling.

“Misses Seo-” The doctor tried to calm her.

“W-what...How, how is her soulmate a woman, Ms. Jung?!” Her mother practically demanded.

“Soulmates aren’t made Ma’am, I wouldn’t know,” Wheein replied calmly.

“I-I...There’s no way, why would you say she, Soojinnie?” Her mom's words were laced with a venom Soojin wasn’t used to.

“I-it, It felt like a girl?” Soojin said fearfully, partially confused by her own answer.

“I-I, what does that mean Ms. Jung?” Her mom looked terrified.

“W-well, there’s three things I’d suppose. That her soulmate is a feminine minded male, as well as possibly outside gender construct and leaning towards femininity, or her soulmate is simply put, a woman Mrs. Seo.” Wheein said with a bit of attitude, slightly annoyed by Soojin’s mother’s reaction, but trying to understand that she might’ve been raised a certain way.

“D-does that...How does that work? Why would her soulmate be a girl?” Soojin’s mother’s eyebrows were furrowed deeply as she tried to even understand how it existed, “I-it’s disgusting…”

Wheein’s fist clenched, but her anger faltered when she saw the confused face on young Soojin. If she simply lashed out at Soojin’s mother’s homophobic perspective, she’d abandon Soojin to be restricted in her life, without an open environment to learn about herself, “Same soulmates aren’t actually that rare, about 2/25 people have such,”

“Y-you mean like two in every class?! H-how is there that many?!” Mrs. Seo was in disbelief.

“Well, as you know, sometimes soulmates are simply platonic, but in fact the chances of your soulmate relationship aren’t actually affected by the gender of the soulmates either,”

“I- I don’t mean to be rude doctor Jung, but, are you telling me my daughter will do those things with another woman?”

“Misses Seo, if that is the case, there’s nothing we can do to change that, but it’s very early in her life, we have no way of knowing what type of relationship she will have with them, if any since it doesn’t seem like her soulmate is not near her,”

“What does that mean?”

Wheein sighs as she pushes her chair back and stands up, walking towards the window, “It feels like they’re very far away, I wouldn’t be surprised if they live in another country,”

“S-so they may never even meet?”

“I’m afraid so, yes,” Wheein says, trying to further understand what’d she seen.

A deep sigh was released from her mother’s mouth, and Wheein had the urge to yell at her for being glad that the person her daughter’s destined to be with might never meet her in this life, but of course she kept it in.

“So how often should we come by?” Soojin’s father asked, looking slightly torn expression.

Wheein felt slightly more at ease knowing one of her parents might accept her no matter what, “Ideally, once a week, but if there is money constraints or any other problems, once a month or even every few months, although, with such a strangely strong bond, I’d think at least once a month, to lessen the pain she’d feel from her soulmate,”

“I see, well, I think we’ll start at once a week, although as she gets older, she’ll get busier, especially with dance,”

“She’s a talented dancer then?” Wheein asked, curious.

“Well, of course she couldn’t have not inherited the natural affinity that our long line has fostered,”

“Oh? It’s a family career?”

“Yes, we’ve always been gifted in such, my husband’s sister was becoming world renowned before her injury as well,”

“I see, so I would guess you were almost as well?”

“Well, I met the love of my life when I was studying after highschool, and ended up getting pregnant,”

“Ah, I’m so sorry for asking,”

“No, it’s fine. I think these two were worth it,”

Wheein paused, now unsure of how to think of Soojin’s mother. She had unjustified hate against certain people for who they loved, but she definitely loved Soojin very much. On a completely different hand however, was the possibility Soojin might be forced into a career she didn’t want to pursue in the future because of her mother’s dream that she’d interrupted. 

“Well then, I suppose it was nice meeting you and your family, Soojin, it was very nice to meet you and I hope you’ll feel more comfortable as time goes on,”

“O-okay, I’ll try,” Soojin only looked at the doctor for a few seconds before and she stared at the ground again.

---------------------

Nothing happened, wow.

5 pages lady's, gents, and beauties. 

We can see where this is going anyway though.

<3 Sooshu's literally so cute irl tho, but I'm an agnsty person so here we are.