A Wolf's Warning

A Wolf's Warning

 

 

The creature kept hidden, letting the alleyway’s shadows cloak his whereabouts. Cars and pedestrians were still active despite the cold drizzle and late hour, but all were oblivious to the wonders that roamed among them. 

It was another night of making his rounds and he had been waiting for his latest hunt for a good half hour. The back of a restaurant surrounded by its garbage wasn’t the most gentle on his sensitive nose but for a catch like this it was worth it. Always. 

Ears twitched at the sound of the back door opening. His sight honed in on his prey as they carried out and dumped two black bundles by a dumpster. A slim young man with sleek black hair rubbed and rolled his neck, back facing toward the creature. The man was distracted with whatever he had dug out of his pocket and the creature took that as an opportunity. 

He readied himself, the excitement of what was to come making his fur stand on end and claws scraping the concrete. Feet skillfully quiet, he snuck up closer and closer. His body began a process it had done thousands of times. By then it was quick and easy. With every step; a change in height. Every breath; joints and muscles popped and stretched into something bigger, taller. Fur retracted into smooth skin and the former beast was then only inches away from the prey he had been watching. 

    A tickle of his breath on the younger man’s neck made the latter turn with a smile already on his lips and arms hidden behind his back.

    “You’re early.”

    The former beast, now a man was taken aback. “How’d you know it was me?”

    “Tch. I just know the ways of Choi Minho. Your ‘surprise’ visits don’t exactly surprise me anymore.”

    “Taemin… What if it wasn’t really me? I could’ve been some drunk creeper or worse. There are things out there that aren’t as nice as me.”

    Taemin crossed his arms and the grin changed to a witty smirk.

“What’s creepier than you standing bare in front of me in a shady alley?”

    Minho leaned a hand on the grimy building wall, pinning the younger in place. “So this is creepy? I thought you looked forward to it.” 

    The werewolf winked and it had the other rolling his eyes playfully but blushing nonetheless. Taemin shifted his arms and Minho caught a glimpse of what was tucked under an elbow. His flirty tone dwindled.

    “I hope you weren’t planning on lighting one of those.”

    Taemin quickly hid the box of cigarettes behind him. “Sorry. I know you don’t like them. I’ve been trying to quit but it’s not easy… and don’t give me that look. You keep getting on me about it a lot more lately and it’s not helping!”

    His tone came out sharper than he had meant it to but it got Minho to lay off a bit. The werewolf pressed his lips in a line then sighed.
    “I know. I’m sorry. It’s just… There’s been some weird stuff going on lately and it’s got me worrying for you is all. I don’t want you to get caught up in it. You or Kai.”

    “What do you mean weird stuff?...”

    Minho stared out into the river of cars and people passing the small opening of the alley as he thought through what Jinki had mentioned. He really didn’t want to tell Taemin and scare him but the younger would find out somehow anyway and sugar coating wouldn’t do any good either. They may not have been mates… yet, but Taemin had a way of reading the werewolf’s mind. “Werewolves have been turning up missing. Some have been found. Dead…. Mutilated. We all have a strong feeling of what’s doing it but if it’s true that just means things will end up a lot worse. Jinki told us to lay low until then and just stay alert. I just don’t want you to end up as collateral damage.” 

    The younger’s face fell, concern and fear visible, but he nodded in understanding. 

    “How is Kai by the way?” Minho asked.

    Taemin sighed, thankful for the change in topic but it was one that wasn’t much better. “He’s still weirded out after I told him about the whole werewolf thing. I don’t know… I’m worried. He’s been acting pretty distant and whenever I bring it up he always tries to tell me it’s a bad idea to get involved and I should just stay away from you. But I won’t. You’re….” He stumbled on his last words as heat crept into his cheeks. “You’re important to me. You’ve all become a big part of my life. Helped me in ways that nothing would be enough to pay you back.”

    Minho smiled at the confession. He brought his other hand up to the soft flushed skin giving it a light touch in which Taemin leaned into comfortably. “Just give it some time. Not everyone is as resilient as you are. Sometimes werewolves have a hard time believing it even after they’ve been through the change.” 

    Taemin nodded and let out a small hum. “Ok. Well, I should be getting back in.” He swiftly ducked under the arm and grabbed the door handle before pausing and looking back at the other man. His eyes glanced downwards and back up at Minho’s so quick the werewolf barely caught it. “Next time you decide to see me at least put on some pants, Wolfman.” One last shy smirk and he was gone. 

    Minho lifted his head and laughed up at the dark blue abyss before he was running off in his furry form.