Silent Mist

Silent Mist

Ever since becoming android himself, Jongdae thought that they are very cheerful and energetic. He himself was one of those, his best friend Baekhyun said it because his own personality reminded him of his dog. That time Jongdae just scowled at him, but as the time came by, he noticed it too. Two years prior, he met Baekhyun's boyfriend, Park Chanyeol, who lived in the same city, just half an hour away from their apartment, in a huge house. Apparently, he had a housemate, but Jongdae never actually met him. 

Baekhyun did meet him, so when Jongdae asked, he told him what he knew. Minseok was older android, becoming him a year before Jongdae. He wasn't tall, something about Jongdae's height, but more masculine, and with blond hair. These things made Jongdae create some sort of image in his mind, but when he actually met Minseok after three years, it completely crashed to the ground. Minseok wasn't anything he imagined.

°°°°°°°°°°°°

,, I'm going out with Chanyeol, do you want to come?"Baekhyun asked from his place in the kitchen. ,, I don't know Baek, I don't need to thirdwheel you two."Jongdae muttered and rubbed his eyes, still sleepy. He looked at his left wrist, noting that his energy-charged of twenty more percent. ,, How is your energy?"Baekhyun came to sit beside him. ,, Eighty-five percent. And you just ignored my answer, Baek."He threw his legs over Baekhyun's lap. The older human laughed and nodded. ,, Okay. Don't worry, you won't be thirdwheeling. More like fourthwheel, Chan is coming with Minseok."Baekhyun smirked when Jongdae practically jumped from the couch.

,, For real?! After three years of knowing Chanyeol, I get to know Minseok too?!"He yelled and jumped around the room. ,, Yes. But look, try to control your cheerful personality, Minseok is not like every second android here. He's much more reserved, and it takes time to gain his trust, but if you just act naturally and don't overdo it, it will just fasten the process."Baekhyun said his advice out loud, and Jongdae nodded. ,, Oh, and another thing. Please, be careful around Minseok. I know he became android just a year before you, but the process of creating andriods changed, and he is one of the first hundred of androids. Sure, he is mostly andriod, but he has his human side buried somewhere down in himself."Baekhyun raised one eyebrow and smiled.

,, Okay, I will be careful, Baek. Where are we going?"He asked and slopped beside the human again. ,, The coffee shop in the center.  And it's cold out there, change into something in which you won't freeze."Baekhyun stood up and headed to his room to change himself. Jongdae slowly smiled and moved to his room to find something to wear. After some minutes of rummaging through his closet, he settled with blue jeans and a yellow sweater. He just quickly ran a hand through his hair to try and make it look a little bit less messy and moved out of the room. Baekhyun was already in the living room, waiting for him. ,, We can go!"He announced and hopped to the door, his cat-like grin growing on his face. ,, You have your watch?"Baekhyun laughed and took his belongings, like phone and keys, and slipped into his shoes. ,, I do. Don't worry."Jongdae grinned and showed him his wrist, slipping into his sneakers. ,, Do you have your phone?"He teased and laughed when Baekhyun threatened him with his fist. ,, Okay, let's go."Baekhyun just shook his head and locked their apartment.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

,, I'm nervous."Jongdae muttered, fiddling with his fingers. ,, You? Look, you already know Chanyeol, and if you will act normally, Minseok could adjust to you pretty quickly. Look, there they are."Baekhyun nodded to the doors of the coffee and when Jongdae tilted his head up, he was stunned. ,, Wow." was all he could make out as he stared at the older andriod by the door, who just nodded at something Chanyeol said. He looked entirely different from what Jongdae imagined, but Jongdae was sure he liked it. Honey blonde hair, feline eyes. The way Minseok moved reminded him of a cat, firstly looking around for any possible danger and then deciding to actually follow Chanyeol to their table.

,, Hey, baby. Hello Jongdae." Chanyeol grinned and placed a kiss on Baekhyun's cheek. ,, Hey." Baekhyun smiled and Jongdae copied Chanyeol's grin with his own. ,, Hello, Chanyeol."   He slightly waved his hand in the air. ,, Dae, that's Minseok, android who lives with me. Minseok, this is Jongdae, he lives with Baek."Chanyeol introduced them, and Jongdae slowly bowed. ,, Nice to meet you, Minseok."He smiled and the corner of Minseok's lips turned up. ,, Nice to meet you too, Jongdae." He said and bowed to him too. ,, Okay, so I thought about going to the cinema or something like that, what do you think?" Chanyeol said after sitting down opposite Baekhyun. ,, That's a good idea. What do you two think?" Baekhyun grinned and looked at Minseok and Jongdae? ,, I'm in, why not." Jongdae shrugged and three pairs of eyes turned to Minseok. ,, Yeah, why not." he muttered and blushed.

,, Okay. Then let me just get us some coffee and we can go." Baekhyun smiled and stood up. ,, Two iced americanos, one black espresso and herbal tea for Dae." He smiled and disappeared to the counter. ,, Herbal tea? Really, Dae?"Chanyeol cocked his right eyebrow and laughed. ,, Yeah. Better than the bitter coffee." Jongdae rested his chin in his palm and blushed when Minseok smiled. ,, Ice americano is not-",, Just let it be, Chan." Minseok said and waved his hand in the air. Chanyeol just blinked and Jongdae felt his cheeks go warm. From what he heard, the Minseok he just met was completely different. And maybe, just maybe, he liked this Minseok better than the one he heard about.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Jongdae was genuinely shocked. The movie they went to see was nothing he expected. But he heard Minseok laugh when he screamed, Baekhyun commenting it with a 'totally manly scream, Dae'. Oh, how embarrassed he was. Exiting the cinema, he shook his head and headed to the nearest bench. The only one following him was Minseok because Chanyeol and Baekhyun decided to see and choose a movie for their date the next day. ,, I'm never gonna see a movie Chanyeol chose again."He breathed out when Minseok sat down beside him. ,, I know how you feel. He's been like that ever since I met him."Minseok grinned and looked up at the stars. Jongdae just shook his head. ,, Warn me next time so I have time to protest, please." he muttered and closed his eyes, slowly breathing in through his nose.

,, Noted."Minseok chuckled and looked around, noticing Chanyeol and Baekhyun coming their way. ,, There they are. Let's go."He grinned and Jongdae blinked, surprised how easy-going the android was. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were already beside them, Baekhyun chuckling at Jongdae's expression. ,, Fine, I guess it's time to go home. I will see you tomorrow, Baek?"Chanyeol said and Baekhyun nodded, making both Jongdae and Minseok stand up. Jongdae noticed Minseok's watch glitch and the older android stumbled in keeping himself on his feet. ,, Whoa, you okay?"Jongdae muttered after securing him with hands on his hips. ,,I- yes, thank you, Jongdae."Minseok smiled gently and shook his head. 

,, Minseok, give me your wrist."Chanyeol said and fished his phone out of his pocket, worry spread all over his face. Minseok sighed and spread his left arm out, letting Chanyeol scan his wristwatch. ,, You're at twenty percent."The tallest of the group furrowed his eyebrows at him. ,, I swear I was at ninety when we left."Minseok tilted his head and tapped on his watch. ,, Either way, let's go home so you can charge. Bye, you two."Chanyeol waved and pecked Baekhyun on his left cheek. Minseok turned to Jongdae with a tired smile. ,, It was nice to meet you. I hope we can hang out more."He said and Jongdae blushed. ,, I hope so too."

And with that, the two started to disappear into the darkness of night.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Jongdae was currently lying on the couch, his head on Minseok's thigh as they watched a movie together with Chanyeol and Baekhyun. They were hanging out at their apartment ever since their first encounter in the coffee shop, and Jongdae grew attached to the Minseok by that time. Minseok didn't mind though, so hugging and lying like that during movie marathons was nothing new after one month. Minseok was fast asleep, again almost out of energy and Jongdae was starting to get worried. The older android said he was getting headaches lately and that they were taking a lot of his energy away from him, and Chanyeol mentioned him almost collapsing last week, but Minseok assured him he was okay.

Jongdae softly looked at the watch Minseok wore and sighed when he found out Minseok was at twenty-five percent. He himself was at sixty, not feeling tired at all thanks to Minseok's fingers that were running through his hair unconsciously. Minseok was asleep for almost an hour now, but his energy didn't charge much again, so he mentioned it to Chanyeol. ,, Yeah, it's been like that since last week. I haven't seen him at a hundred for a week now and I think it may be something with his charger, so I plan on taking him to the laboratory in five days. I also want to ask about his memory chip."The tall human said, cuddling half-asleep Baekhyun to his side.

,, Memory chip? Why? Something's wrong with his memory?"Jongdae asked and smiled when Minseok's fingers scratched his scalp. ,, Mhm, he says he's having a hard time remembering some small things, so I want to ask."Chanyeol shrugged and started a new movie. Jongdae just hummed and pressed his head more into Minseok's palm. It felt nice and he was glad Minseok was there. What he could say was that maybe it wasn't pure friendship that wanted to keep him close, it was something bigger, but Jongdae wasn't ready to say it was love, but he was sure he was heading fast to the point of loving the older android. 

It was easy to love Minseok. The old android was easy going, gentle, mostly happy, but he had his bad days and he was making sure to show it. He really reminded Jongdae of a cat, they were also like that, but he loved it. Minseok had gentle and loving eyes and Jongdae almost melted when he looked at him with those sparks in them and he couldn't help but smile every time it happened.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Jongdae's last visit to the laboratory was more than half a year ago for a classic check-up. The new models of androids needed the check-ups more often then the older models. Jongdae learned that when he heard that Minseok's last check-up was almost three years ago. He shrugged the thought off and smiled at Baekhyun, who knocked on the doors of Chanyeol's house. They were supposed to hang out at the coffee shop today after a week of not seeing each other due to their busy jobs. His eyebrows shot up when Chanyeol opened the door, dressed in formal pants and a silk shirt and the house was quiet. 

,, Hey."He said and leaned against the door frame. ,, Did something happen?"Baekhyun was first to ask. ,, And where is Minseok?" Chanyeol just sighed and shook his head. ,, I'm sorry about our hang out today, but I'm heading to the laboratory. Minseok is there." he muttered and Jongdae's eyes widened. ,, What?!"He shrieked and Baekhyun shoots him a look. ,, Minseok collapsed yesterday. I don't know how is it possible when he had forty percent of energy, but it happened and I brought him to the laboratory. Yixing said to come today."

,, Can we come with you, please?"Jongdae asked, his voice almost breaking due to lump in his throat. He knew how the outcome for androids who collapsed was, the new models could get back to working in a few days, but for the old models, it was taking longer. Workers in the laboratory had to make sure they checked everything and fixed the problems, which were most of the time in their chargers. After Chanyeol agreed, they took off to the laboratory in his car. Jongdae himself was at ninety percent, Baekhyun made sure he was properly charged before going out. The ride to the laboratory from the part of Seoul Chanyeol and Minseok lived in took only about fifteen minutes, and soon, Jongdae was walking to one of the rooms with Baekhyun and Chanyeol leading the way.

Yixing smiled when he saw them. ,, Hey."He greeted and they greeted him back. ,, Hey. Did you figure out what is wrong?"Chanyeol asked and sat on a chair opposite the Chinese male, and Baekhyun placed his palms on his tensed shoulders. ,, I didn't. I was working on it the whole night, but nothing seems to be wrong with his systems. I was just about to check his memory chips."The laboratory worker said and nodded to the one monitor on his working table. ,, These are reports from his last check-up. Everything was okay at that time. Now, I downloaded the data from his memory chips this morning when he was asleep and asked Jun to download his data now that he's awake. And look."

,, His mind links in his android memory chip are in normals, but look at his human mind links. From this, you can see that his human memories started to flow out, and that caused the headaches you told me about. It seems like it started with the charging problem four months ago because something triggered his human memory chip. And from the data we have, I think I can make out a picture of the thing that triggered it if you want to know." Yixing turned to Chanyeol again and raised his eyebrow.

Jongdae understood what he meant. Minseok, as an older model of android, had two memory chips, a human one in which were kept his human memories, and android one, in which he kept his android ones. Something could trigger some memories from the human chip and the older model od androids couldn't handle this much pressure on his android chip and his systems would collapse. 

,, Fine, if you want, you can go visit him, Jun will take you there. He's asleep again, it's more like microsleep if you know what I mean. He's awake only at some point, so he will mostly be asleep the whole time you're here."Yixing warned them and they nodded, Junmyeon stood up from his place behind the other table and took them to the room Minseok was sleeping in. ,, If you want to ask anything, call me. I'm gonna help Yixing."The man smiled and retreated from the room. Jongdae sighed and took a seat at Minseok's right side, taking his hand into his palms. To say he was scared was only a bit of what he felt. The last month, as they were almost always together with Chanyeol and Minseok, he was trying to figure out what he felt to the older android, and he planned to tell him he actually loved him. ,, He will be okay, I believe it."Baekhyun muttered and let Chanyeol hug him and press his face into his hair. Jongdae just sighed and closed his eyes. 

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

They stayed like that for almost two hours, and then Yixing with Junmyeon behind him finally came into the room. ,, I'm done. You sure you want to know?"He asked and sighed when the three nodded. ,, Okay. Look."He mentioned to the two monitors in the room close to them. ,, That's an image I managed to get from his memories. Do you recognize him?"Yixing raised an eyebrow when a face appeared on the monitor. It looked almost the same as Jongdae's own face, but with a few different features in his face. 

,, I do."Chanyeol nodded and sighed. ,, It's from the time before Minseok was made as an android. He was dating one of our friends, Chen, who died three weeks before Minseok in an accident in the work. It's his past lover, and every time we mentioned Chen to him, he was getting so emotional. He once got into a car accident, it was the time of the first androids, and doctors were sure he couldn't survive. That's how he became an android."He finished and blinked away some tears in his eyes. ,, So, are you saying that because Dae looks like Chen, Minseok's human memory chip got triggered and caused everything?"Baekhyun asked, and Jongdae could just sigh because the answer was obvious. ,, That's exactly what it means."Chan muttered.

Yixing sighed and ran a hand through his hair. ,, Look, it's not an easy thing to fix. I can try, but I need to have a space to do it. So I suggest you go home and I will call if I figure something, okay?"Chanyeol already opened his mouth to speak, but Jongdae was faster. ,, He is right. Our memory chips are very sensitive and one wrong move can ruin a whole android. It's better if you two go home and get some rest. I will stay here."He smiled sadly and raised an eyebrow when Baekhyun wanted to protest. ,, Baek, please. Chanyeol looks like he didn't sleep the whole night, so take him home and get some rest. Go."He shook his head and turned to Minseok once again.

The two humans left after bidding their goodbyes and he was left alone in the room with Yixing. He squeezed Minseok's hand and turned to the laboratory worker. ,, Yixing, do you really think you can fix his chip?"He asked and the human looked away. ,, I honestly don't know, Jongdae. As I said, I can take a look at the chip and try it, but from the data...There's a high chance I would need to shut him down."He said and Jongdae's eyes started to tear up. ,, Thank you for being honest with me."He whispered and closed his eyes, pressing his head against Minseok's hip.

High chance to need to shut him down, he thought, that means I won't have a chance to tell him I love him...