*Together

In Stars Unseen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

What happened that day during lunch was a rage. Someone had recorded the whole cafeteria when Minho’s confession had been airing and had even posted the video to the student forum on their school website. Only the club leaders had the posting authority in the forum so it was most probably one of the club leaders, but it was taken down the next day by site admins, since making posts unrelated to school events was not allowed. But that one day had been enough and most of the third years who had decided to skip the optional classes had come back to school the next day, curious about who had confessed and who had been confessed to.

 

The video on the forum was choppier than the speakers and Minho’s voice couldn’t be recognized by everyone. And the video had ended with Minho’s singing, so Minho’s actual confession and hence his slip-up of revealing Taemin’s name was not in it, maybe cut off intentionally before uploading, to avoid unnecessary trouble by leaking anyone’s identity.

 

Taemin and Minho had come to school together and though all they were doing was just walking together, almost everyone had been sneaking glances at them, some were murmuring, probably filling in the others who had come to school today to get whole the scoop behind the video that had been pulled down from the school’s website last night.

 

Both of them knew about the video too and were expecting it, but it was still embarrassing, at how their feelings were out, how people smiled knowingly, and also slipped on their congratulations in passing.

 

“,” Taemin had cursed when someone had passed such a comment, flushing as he fixed the bag that was slipping from his shoulder. He blinked in surprise the next moment when Minho’s hand found his and he turned to his side, finding Minho equally embarrassed, hesitant, yet the way he entwined his fingers with Taemin’s and squeezed his hand in reassurance was anything but hesitant. 

 

They had reached the classroom and Taemin stopped short at finding the class in full attendance. Everyone had turned at their steps and Taemin decided to be brave because Minho was being so too. He tugged the join of their hands, wading through the desks and taking the one next to the window while Minho took the one next to him.

 

“Three years? That’s some hell of dedication, huh?”

 

“Never knew our captain was so damn sappy.”

 

“When I see you smile~”

 

“And what was the loud crash about–”

 

“Okay class, settle down.” The teacher’s entry had saved Minho and Taemin from all the teasing and questions. 

 

Minho rubbed his forehead in relief before he looked at Taemin, who was still flustered at all the teasing, he had scrawled the date on his notebook before putting the pencil sharpener on the pen instead of the pen cap.

 

Minho smiled to himself, slowly dragging his chair closer to him and picked up the pen, Taemin’s eyes following his action and he cussed on seeing the pencil sharpener on the pen instead of the cap, quickly snatching it away and replacing the sharpener with the cap.

 

Minho chuckled and Taemin was getting too embarrassed at his soft chuckles. He poked his hand with the pen nib and Minho flinched at the little sting, but he couldn’t help but chuckle again at the little wrinkle between Taemin’s brows, his adorably threatening gaze.

 

“Lee Taemin, Choi Minho.”

 

Both of them straightened up, shifting away from each other at the teacher’s call.

 

“How about saving the flirting for later? Carry on if you want to see me in detention again today.”

 

The class was abuzz after that, everyone was turning back to look at them but the teacher slammed the duster on his desk, silencing the class again and continuing the class.

 

Taemin distracted himself by beginning to take notes, only to turn to his side on seeing Minho sneaking glances, trying to talk to him in gestures, or by scribbling little notes on his notebook for Taemin to see.

 

Wanna go on a date today?

 

Taemin bit his smile back and finally yielded, shifting closer to Minho to write his reply.

 

Yes

 

But they hadn’t been able to go on a date that day because they had landed in detention instead.

 



 

It was Friday and a half-day for the third year students since their farewell dance was the next day. Almost everyone had left, save for the Events Club and all their volunteers who were going to help decorate the gym for tomorrow’s dance.

 

Jinki and Jonghyun had been goofing off in the music room, playing the songs that they had decided to play on the day of the dance when they would hijack the stage in case Retro Romance didn’t win the poll. Jiyoung’s band was in on the idea, but they had eventually dropped it, deciding to try hijack the playlist for the dance instead.

 

Taemin had stayed back with them, passing time in the music room because Minho had a team meeting after classes. 

 

The club members were playing a game where Jiyoung wrote down song riddles on the whiteboard and everyone tried to guess it but the answer was only supposed to either be played or sung. Though Taemin had been just watching, he had ended up on the piano in between when no one had figured out the anagram Jiyoung had written on the whiteboard. Since the rule was to only play or sing, he started playing the answer– Michael Jackson’s Thriller– and almost everyone had gone silent in astoundment, even Minho and Jongin who were at the door, about to enter.

 

Everyone else joined then and the music room looked like it was hosting a little party until the song ended. As they started discussing (arguing over) the scores, Jongin had come closer, fascinated by seeing Taemin play, “That was amazing.” he turned to Minho who had passed him and taken a seat beside Taemin, “Your boyfriend is amazing.”

 

“He’s such a secretive fellow, he didn’t let us know he was that crazy good at playing until now!” Jiyoung affirmed loudly from over the chaos. 

 

Taemin flushed, “I’m not that good.”

 

“You are,” Minho softly whispered and Taemin flushed further, squirming in his seat, clearing his throat to clear the air.

 

Jongin had moved on towards Jiyoung, his interest caught by the drumset now and even by the game, watching Jiyoung write an extremely long anagram on the board.

 

“Why an anagram?” Jonghyun groaned. “Let’s do trivia!”

 

“Time’s ticking!” She exclaimed, “And no, you’re too good at it, it won’t be any fun.”

 

Both Minho and Taemin turned to look at the board. Jongin was staring at it in thought, having declared himself to be on the other team and Jinki was murmuring the letters. Minho also squinted, trying to arrange the letters in his head but he lost track of it the next moment when Taemin started playing.

 

Everyone groaned as they recognized the tune Taemin was playing.

 

“Wait, I know this!” Minho exclaimed softly and Taemin laughed as complaints erupted from his friends.

 

“You Spin Me Round Like A Record,” Taemin chuckled as he turned around, facing the disgruntled faces of his club members, “What? That was easy!” 

 

“Are you ing kidding?! That was hella long and we were only three clues in!”

 

“You’re just stupidly good at this, it’s not fair!” Jonghyun frowned before turning to Jiyoung, “Okay no more anagrams too. Switch to Hangman!”

 

“Okay, fine, calm down, it’s just a game!”

 

Taemin turned back, growing conscious of Minho’s gaze as he averted his eyes, playing random keys softly, but shifted closer to him, their shoulders touching.

 

“How did the meeting go?”

 

Minho was slightly flustered at Taemin’s tiny gesture, “It went well. Officially stepped down from being the captain today.”

 

“Are you sure that’s the only way?” Taemin’s tone was dripping with worry.

 

“Maybe? Maybe not.” Minho smiled, “But that’s okay, all I want is to just play, it doesn't matter if I wear the captain’s jersey or not. The gameplay’s unchanged so I’m still forward.” He bumped into Taemin’s shoulder softly, making him smile, “I still have all the perks though.” He lowered his voice, “Want to grab some coffee from Coach’s new machine? There are all kinds of flavors.”

 

“Okay.” Taemin bumped into him as he answered, turning back to look at the board, at all the blanks and only two clues.

 

He turned back and pressed a key, this time it wasn’t random– Minho could say from his smile and aura.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter