02

The Aerial Racing League

Yerim held on for dear life, as Jinsoul kept the bike at full throttle, tearing down the streets at high speed, weaving through several cars as Jinsoul left a trail of black skid marks and the stench of heated rubber in her wake.

“Hey, you do realise that this is a bike and not a jet, right?” Yerim gripped tightly on the bike’s grab handles, in an attempt to not get herself flung off, due to Jinsoul’s biking antics.

Jinsoul merely chuckled, speeding along as the skyscrapers around them blurred into multiple grey lines in the corners of her eyes, punctuated by the reddish sky above.

Jungeun had managed to slip on a dust mask, a second before Jinsoul came steaming past on her bike, a cloud of red Martian dust in her wake. Jungeun raises an eyebrow, her left eye, replaced sometime back with a cybernetic ocular implant, glowing a neon red as a grinning Jinsoul and a somewhat shaken Yerim walk up to her. 

“Took you long enough.”

“We took the scenic route.” To which Yerim shot a glare at Jinsoul, who replied with a shrug, as Yerim reached out, in an attempt to fake-strangle her.

Jungeun merely huffed before raising a hand.

“Alright knock it off. You’re here and that’s what matters.” 

-

The starport at the West End of Solaris had been quickly abandoned, after the space elevator to the north of the city was erected, and along with it, another bigger starport. The reason being the choice of location was that the space elevator along with its facilities was intended to be a trading hub, and a power supply source for the cites of Neo Seoul and Solaris.

The old starport to the west was quickly taken over by scavengers, derisively referred to by some Solaris denizens as vultures. Beside scouring the surfaces and orbits of Earth and Mars for junk to be repuposed, the vultures in and around Solaris made their fortunes through the thriving market for hulks of aerial vehicles, the trade driven by the Aerial Racing League and those that wished to participate in it.

One such group of vultures was led by a man, known by the moniker RM, but known to most of his regulars by Namjoon, his real name.

Jungeun and Jinsoul were regular patrons of his, as he and his team somehow managed to get their hands on all sorts of high-performance aircraft, often for a decent price too.

And as the three pilots waited outside the gate, a small quadcopter, packing a camera on its underside flew out from a gap on the chain-link fence. It paused, hovering over the trio, letting the pilot, who was sitting in a small control room in one of the many small buildings that dotted the disused starport, get a good look at them.

A few seconds later, the red light on the top bar of the gate flashed green, as Namjoon himself appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, on a buggy.

“Ah, I’ve been expecting you lot. Hop on, I got some hardware that you three might be interested in…”

“Oh yeah?” Jungeun chuckled, lifting the suitcase full of credits up into full view before hopping on, Jinsoul and Yerim following suit. “Show us the goods and I’ll show you the cash.”

“With pleasure.”

The journey to the main hangar, where most of the hardware that Namjoon’s team got their hands on was kept, didn’t take that long.

And it didn’t take long for Yerim to notice the various security features that Namjoon’s vulture team had set up.

Besides the rather subtly hidden cameras, she had noticed the small squadron of attack drones, quadrotor-types with machine guns, shadowing the buggy from a distance.

To Yerim, it seemed that one wrong move or any attempt at breaking and entering would result in the unfortunate intruder/assailant being shot to bits. Literally. Yerim took some comfort in the fact that Jungeun and Jinsoul were on good terms with this team of vultures.

-

Aircraft. Aircraft and parts, lined up in the hangar, as far as Yerim could see. There were at least 20-30 planes in this very hangar alone. One could only imagine how many more were in the surrounding hangars.

Her attention was then drawn to two aircraft, with tarpaulins over them. One had Jinsoul’s betta emblem in blue, while the other had Jungeun’s owl emblem in red.

Yerim was quite familiar with Jinsoul’s jet, a twin-seater design, used by the aerial forces of Mars and a distant colony planet named Faery. It reminded the purple-haired pilot of the old jets used by some air forces on Earth that were designed and built by the Earth company Sukhoi, codenamed Flankers. The FFR-31 MR/D, which was the official designation for Jinsoul’s jet, nicknamed by Faery pilots as the Super Sylph, resembled a Flanker on steroids, with its sweeping, almost organic lines, and the twin-cockpit, which looked like a pair of tandem-mounted bubbles on the front of the plane.

Jungeun’s which was down for the past week because it was awaiting spare parts, looked like it was designed by someone with a switchblade . Designated the FA-2, codenamed Fand-II, it was allegedly an advanced design from the Faery military that was optimized for maximum manuverability, the wings and fins were all swept forwards, linked to a central aerofoil, with the main fuselage itself mounted to the aerofoil by a bunch of struts, giving the aircraft the look of a dart that was attached to a Swiss Army knife.  Over the past week, Jungeun had gotten over her lack of a flyable plane, by swapping turns with Jinsoul, flying Jinsoul’s Super Sylph, which was with Namjoon today, for a long overdue engine change.

-

“Alright, comrade. You said you had some hardware for us. Whatever it is, it had better be as good as, if not better than these Faery-designed planes we got.”

Chuckling at Jungeun’s words, the vulture leader led them down to the far end of the hangar, where a bunch of recent-acquired airframes awaited, both extremely familiar to Yerim, as she had seen them in the flesh at air shows on Earth, when she was much younger.

There was one aircraft in the first row, which looked like a simplified version of the Super Sylph, and had a single cockpit. This one was nicknamed the Nosferatu.  The aircraft next to it, looked like a Flanker but with switchblades for wings. The X-02 Wyvern. This particular one was the X-02S two-seater strike variant. The Wyvern was a jet that Yerim had often dreamed of flying on Earth. And then in the next row was a drone, which looked like a boomerang on steroids. 

And as Namjoon explained the various performance figures and specifications of the Earth-designed aircraft to the two older pilots, Yerim’s attention was drawn to the dark grey aircraft at the end of the row, resembling an arrowhead with a fin.

The younger pilot was drawn to the aircraft’s sleek look. She knew this one as the SR-72. A drone, which could also be converted into a manned aircraft by swapping the entire front section of the craft. On Earth, its development was extremely classified, so what Yerim knew about it and its capabilities was based mostly on hearsay and theories. And now she got to see one of Earth’s most top secret aircraft on display in front of her.

It was extremely streamlined compared to the other aircraft on display, suggesting that it was designed for extremely high speed flight. On its underside were a row of glass panels, befitting its intended purpose as a high speed recon craft.

“I see the SR-72 has caught your attention.” Yerim raises an eyebrow, as one of Namjoon’s technicians walked up behind her.

“I read so much about this thing. Back on Earth, this thing was said to be in constant development hell. Most of what I could find on it back home were classified… How did you guys get your hands on this?”

The younger pilot reaches out, running a hand over a matt grey panel, her attention still focused on the aircraft, even as Jungeun and Jinsoul walked up, each putting a hand on Yerim’s shoulders.

“Of course it would be. The Earth leaders were an extremely paranoid bunch. However, on Mars and in the rest of the Terran Federation, all you need to know on any black project is as easy as knowing which database to hack into, or the right set of palms to grease. But this one... from what we managed to dig up, was that the SR-72 project was indeed successful, with the first flights being in 2065, 15 years after the project was started in 2050. Then after more than four decades, the SR-72s were quietly retired. All of the prototypes ended up buried in the deserts near Area 51, while the production craft suffered various fates; either buried next to the prototypes or scrapped, along with most records of the program from beginning to end either purged or kept classified, so officially, this thing doesn't even exist at all anymore. Most Earthlings are convinced it's a rumor, with how hushed up it was, while here on Mars, next to no one outside of the MASF is even aware the SR-72 exists. As of now, only 10 people on Mars outside of the military know it exists. You, me, and the rest of our crews. Everyone else out there either think it's just a rumor, or aren't even aware the SR-72 does exist. ”

“In case you were wondering, this thing is indeed capable of hypersonic flight. However due to the fact that we couldn’t get the original ramjet engines for this, top speed is limited to Mach 3.2, as we’ve had to use engines scavenged from wrecked MASF fighters. As you probably already know by now, this thing was also designed for both manned and unmanned flight, which can be achieved by swapping in a cockpit module for the AI computer module and vice versa, so this can qualify you for the ARL’s manned or unmanned classes. As to how we got it. You won't believe us but we somehow found this in the Utopia Planitia plain. How it got here is anyone's guess but it most likely has something to do with the Feddies and the Mars Aerospace Force spooks.”

Yerim glanced up at the sleek aircraft, and then at the two vultures, and back at Jungeun, who responded with a shrug and a look that basically said ‘It’s your call’.

“How much are we asking?” To which the vulture leader handed the purple haired girl a note with a number scribbled on it.

“Pay this as a deposit. We’re still working on getting this thing in flying condition along with some refits and I’m not gonna let you pay the full price yet because even I don’t know how long it will take. Could be hours, could be days. Either way, it’s not gonna be ready to fly by tonight.”

Yerim raises an eyebrow, before handing over a prepaid card to Namjoon, who quickly swiped it across a pad-like device strapped to his wrist.

“Payment acknowledged. Pleased to be doing business with you, Miss.” Namjoon turns back to Jungeun and Jinsoul after, for another round of negotiations on the Earth planes because Jinsoul had eyes on the Wyvern.

-

The ARL was hosting a race that night. Each class would host its race in a different part of the wasteland outside Solaris and tonight, the manned aircraft class would be holding its race over the Solaris mountains, at a small airfield. With the Super Sylph still out of action due to the engine replacement taking longer than expected, and the Fand-II still awaiting an overdue shipment of spare parts from Faery, Jinsoul and Jungeun had decided which of them was going to race tonight, though flipping a coin.

It would be Jinsoul who’d race tonight, in their newly acquired X-02 Wyvern.

“Sure you don’t want to race tonight?” Jinsoul looked over her shoulder, turning her attention from the instruments to the younger pilot in the back, nodding along to a song playing through the single earbud plugged into her ear while the other hung over her shoulder by its connecting cable.

“Maybe not. Me and flying, just don’t seem to get along.” Yerim shrugs, trying to force herself not to think of the crash last week, along with the drones she lost.

“But then you bought that SR-72.”

“Touche. But somehow I felt like it was calling out to me in a way.” Yerim chuckles, watching as Jinsoul slips her helmet on with her now-activated iris-cam appearing as a faint blue glow behind the helmet’s glass visor, briefly flashing as the device establishes a data link with the helmet and the Wyvern’s instruments.

“Poetic are we? Looks like Choi Yerim here’s a bit of a romanticist.”

“Okay you got me. But in all honesty, I just need to regain my flying confidence back. Maybe a test flight in my other dream plane might help.”

And right before Jinsoul could reply, Jungeun reaches over, handing over a small contact lens case.

“Here you go, kiddo. Upgraded versions of your iris cams based on the tech in my left eye. I’ve put an extra data link capability so when it activates, you just need to tap a few buttons and then you’ll be able to see what me or Jinsoul sees and vice versa. I’ve color coded these for convenience too. Jinsoul’s is blue while yours is purple.”

“Okay this is cool.”

“The wonders of nanotechnology and 3D printing, my friend.”

To which Yerim chuckles in reply as she slips her new iris cam on.

And as Jinsoul demonstrates, both her own iris cam and Jungeun’s left eye flashed in their respective colors along with Yerim’s. Whatever was within Jinsoul’s field of view now appeared in a small image in the corners of Jungeun and Yerim’s fields of vision, before the image disappeared as Jinsoul tapped a few more buttons, disabling the iris cams’ live stream.

“Cool, right? This way if we race as a team once we have a full set of planes, coordinating is going to be much easier.”

And before anyone can reply the roar of jet engines drowns out all other sound, then followed by the screech of tires hitting tarmac at high speed. It was a fighter, one with a stealth-ish design, packing the emblem of a white swan on its fins.

Jungeun looked up from bolting down an access panel on the Wyvern, squinting as the jet stopped, then gasped as a tall, lithe figure, clad in a light grey and burgundy flight suit and matching helmet stepped out. And then another gasp as the figure slid down the ladder attached to the aircraft (which Jinsoul identified as an FFR-31 Sylphid), took off the helmet to reveal cropped, shoulder length hair.

Yerim looked down at the album art of the song playing on her phone, then at the grey-and-burgundy pilot, and then back at her phone. It didn’t take long for her to put two and two together to realise that that very pilot was the idol singer Ha Sooyoung, who went by the stage name Yves.

“Holy , you never told me Yves raced too!”

“She’s been out of the racing scene for a while. I thought she quit before her Earth tour, but I guess I was wrong.” Jinsoul drew a wolf-whistle, eyeing Yves from top to bottom. 

“And then our dear Jungeun unnie is going to spazz out, before running over to either hit on her or ask for an autograph.” Yerim chuckles, listening to a fangirling Jungeun nearly hyperventilating at the sight of Yves in person.

“Okay, all systems check out. I got some…business to take care of. See you two in a bit!” As if on cue, Jungeun speaks so fast that her words nearly slurred, drawing a chuckle from Yerim and Jinsoul.

“I swear to God she’s so hilarious when she goes full fangirl mode.”

And as quickly as Jungeun runs off after her idol, Jinsoul and Yerim catch sight of two military jets, the same models as those from earlier, their wings automatically folding upwards as the jets coasted to a halt after cutting their engines.

“Wait what’s the military doing here?” A confused Yerim asks, to which Jinsoul shrugs, almost casually.

“The military uses the races to test the performance of their new toys, which is why they allow the ARL to operate, despite the ARL being technically illegal. That and they accept hush fees from the ARL to look the other way.”

“Huh.”

“And speaking of which, one of those two looks pretty familiar...” Jinsoul notes, eyeing the white rabbit on the lead fighter’s tail, along with the fighter packing the wolf insignia from earlier.

Her suspicions were confirmed as the pilot of the lead fighter started strutting towards the Wyvern, pulling the helmet off to reveal a dark haired woman, with faded streaks of blue and purple in her hair along with an all too familiar grin.

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t the ace of aces, Colonel Kim Minji!” Jinsoul calls out, before sliding down the ladder attached to the front cockpit of the Wyvern.

“Jung Jinsoul, the blue betta. It’s been a long time.” Minji chuckles, extending a hand towards Jinsoul who shakes it, before pulling the older pilot into a bear hug.

“Saw two of your people up there earlier today. I’m guessing your squadron has some new toys that you’re going to flex in tonight’s race.”

Minji nods, her grin now almost shark-like.

“You like our new toys? These are brand new prototypes, designated FRX-00. Codenamed Mave. MASF’s got an entire factory ready to build these to send over to the war effort at Faery.”

“Faery… Heard it’s an even bigger meat grinder out there compared to the last time we both were there.”

Minji shrugs at the statement, her grin turning into a frown.

“As long as me and my girls aren’t being sent back to that hellhole, I couldn’t care less about what happens on Faery. 50,000 casualties so far this year. 50,000. And that's just over the last few months. And for what? We've both been there, Betta. The war there is about to reach a decade already. You and I both know that Faery isn’t even a strategically or economically important planet. Hell if I know why the Feddies want to colonize it so badly.”

Jinsoul shakes her head at that revelation.

“The top brass are all the same. Real bunch of boneheaded yes-men who only know politics and -kissing.”

To which Minji replies with another shrug.

"Too right, buddy."

“Oh by the way Colonel, here’s the newest member of Odd Eye Circle.”

Jinsoul nods over at Yerim, who then proceeded to give a left handed salute, only for Minji to laugh before motioning for Yerim to salute with her other arm.

“Your new prodigy, Betta? What’s your name, kid?” The military pilot extends a hand towards Yerim, who proceeded to return the handshake.

“Yerim. Choi Yerim. It’s a real pleasure to meet you, Captain.”

“Not racing tonight?”

“Unfortunately no. I’m… not exactly ready to fly in the ARL yet so I’ll be watching from the ground.”

“I think I know how to fix that, if it’s okay with you and Betta…” Minji glances at Jinsoul who nods, as Yerim her head in mild confusion.

“Betta, bring your prodigy to me tomorrow. I’ve got something planned.”

And as if on cue, Jungeun came running up to the three out of nowhere, interrupting the conversation, throwing a hasty wave at Minji as she hurriedly motioned for Jinsoul to climb into the Wyvern’s cockpit.

The race was about to start soon, and Minji and Jinsoul had lost track of time in their little conversation.

Minji glanced down at her watch, then gave Jungeun and Yerim a salute before heading back towards her own aircraft.

“Godspeed!” Yerim had to yell over the roar of aircraft engines, before security ushered her and Jungeun into the stands, right as Minji and Jinsoul both raised a thumb each, as a form of acknowledgement.