First Lifetime: Nobility-Childhood

1314 Roses (Zhang Yixing X OC)

 

When he was eight years old and she was five, Zhang Yixing met the love of his life.

 

Not that he knew it at the time, of course. He was only a child; what was on his mind on a daily basis was how to improve his self defense skills and learn how to help with his father’s merchant business one day. A lot of responsibility came with being the son of the most successful merchant in all of China.

 

But one day, his mother brought another woman and a young child with her into the garden where he and his elder brother were sparring, and his entire world changed. 

 

“Xing’er, come here.” His mother called, beckoning him over. Yixing exchanged a confused look with his brother, but did as his mother asked.

 

“Mother.” He greeted, putting his little hands together in front of him as he bowed, “Madam.” His mother smiled proudly at her son’s polite behavior.

 

“Yixing, this is Madam Su.” She said, “Her husband is the crown prince’s tutor, and their family just moved to the capital to take up this task.” Yixing nodded, not quite understanding what his mother was trying to get at.

 

“As it turns out, your brother will be spending more of his time at the academy soon.” His mother continued, “Madam Su and I happened to meet today, and she has a young daughter who needs a playmate. And so, I decided that the two of you could be playmates from now on!” Yixing looked curiously over at the child his mother was talking about, and pouted slightly at the child. The little girl was shy, hidden half behind her mother’s long skirts so much that Yixing could only see her wide eyed gaze and pink braided hair. 

 

“Mother.” He said, “I would rather much have a boy to play with.” His mother’s eyes widened at the child’s frank statement.

 

“Zhang Yixing!” She scolded, “Where have your manners gone?” Yixing heard a soft laugh, and he looked up to see Madam Su laughing.

 

“Do not blame the boy, Madam Zhang.” She assured, “It is natural that young boys would rather play with young boys. But perhaps your straightforward child is what my shy daughter needs.” Madam Su gently tugged on her daughter, and drew her out from her hiding place.

 

“Yingyue.” She said, “Don’t just hide. Come and say hello.” Yixing found himself staring at a little girl dressed in pink and white robes, her hair dolled up with two small hairpins and two loops of hair at the top of her head. Was she a human child or a walking doll? Her eyes were wide and innocent, uncertain about what was going on. After a long moment, the little girl looked up at the people staring at her, then bobbed silently in a polite curtsey. Despite his misgivings against playing with a girl, Yixing couldn’t help but laugh at the sight.

 

Too cute!

 

He wasn’t sure where the thought came from, but it arose in his mind before he could stop it. The little girl looked over at him at the sound, then to Yixing’s surprise she hopped over to him and gazed at him intently. Then, she smiled, and Yixing froze. In that moment when she smiled, it was like the sun had suddenly brightened around him, and he felt his cheeks pink slightly. Su Yingyue reached out and clasped his hand, still smiling.

 

Gege, will you play with me?” She asked suddenly, smiling brightly. Yixing froze in surprise, his gaze slowly moving down to look at their suddenly intertwined hands. Yingyue’s hands were tiny, so small it took two to fully clasp one of his own. And yet, they were warm, and so trusting of this older boy she had just met. The two mothers laughed softly, clearly amused by the sudden turn of events. Yixing quickly cleared his throat and pulled his hand away, clasping his hands behind him the way he had seen his father and older brother do. He was, after all, older. He had to look his age in front of this younger girl.

 

“Men and women should keep their distance.” He blurted, flustered by the adorable little girl’s sudden invitation to play. When she didn’t respond, Yixing looked down and saw that she was looking up at him silently, a perplexed expression taking over her doll-like features. 

 

Zhang Yixing, what are you talking about? She hasn’t a clue what you mean!

 

“Okay.” He gave in, “I’ll play with you.” 

 

How could I resist that face?

 

Yingyue’s face lit up at his response and she clapped her tiny hands together in delight. 

 

“Thank you gege!” She chirped in delight. Su Yingyue clasped tightly onto Yixing’s hand as she pulled him towards the shaded pavilion in the corner of the garden. Yixing sighed as he let himself be dragged along by the tiny energetic girl in front of him. 

 

I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to play with her for a little while.

 

Little did he know how one playdate would change his entire life.

_________________________________________________________________________

Yixing had only intended to play with little Su Yingyue for a short while. It kept his parents pleased to see him maintaining a good relationship with the child of a high ranking official, and despite her younger age, it wasn’t too bad overall. Yingyue was a vivacious thing, polite but curious about anything, both demure and eager to learn about anything she could get her hands on. She would often pull on his sleeve and point at what he was reading or drawing, and ask him what it was about. Once he began spending more time in classes at the academy, Yixing wouldn’t have to spend time with the energetic little girl anymore. 

 

But, as time passed, Yixing suddenly found that he could barely remember what it was like to spend his days without Su Yingyue’s constant presence near him on a regular basis. Her energy made the days go by faster, and made even the most boring topics interesting. 

 

For her part, Su Yingyue also seemed all too happy to stay by his side. Yixing’s mother would joke that they were joined at the hip; wherever Yixing appeared, Yingyue would either be next to him, or wouldn’t be too far away. For his part, Yixing didn’t mind. 

 

When he did become old enough to attend the academy, Yingyue would always be waiting for him outside by the time his classes finished, often holding sticks of candied fruit or a wrapped parcel of pastries to give him as an afternoon snack. Taking their snacks, they would hide in the corner of the local bookshop, enjoying their snacks away from their parent’s watchful gaze and talking about what Yixing had learned that day until it grew late and Yixing would walk Yingyue home. 

 

Then, when Yixing was 15 years old and Yingyue was 12, everything changed once again.

 

Yingyue no longer appeared at the academy door at the end of the school day, smiling with sticks of candy in her hands. She no longer came to Yixing’s home to spend time with him, although her mother still came every now and then. When Yixing asked where his friend had gone, his mother simply explained to him that they were too old to be simply friends anymore. He was 15 and eligible to be married, although they didn’t intend to be in a rush to do so. Yingyue was at the age to prepare to be married in the coming years, and so had to stay at home and improve her cooking, sewing, and other wifely skills. It would be unseemly for them to be openly wandering about together at this age.

 

Yixing, naturally, was furious. 

 

How could they keep Yingyue locked up inside her family manor all day? She was like a bird, energetic and vivacious. They were trying to tame her wilder side, return her to the demure child she had been before. Yixing understood all of that, of course. No one wanted a chatty girl with a million questions for a wife. They wanted a soft spoken, demure young woman that would bear children for the family, raise them to be talented heirs, and never question what her husband wanted. Of course Yixing understood all that. 

 

And yet, it seemed so unfair. 

 

He wanted to see Yingyue happy, free and doing what she wanted, not hidden away in her family mansion and molded into the perfect wife. That wasn’t her. 

 

And so, from that day, Yixing made up his mind.

 

If, by the time they met again, they were both still unmarried, Yixing would ask Yingyue to marry him, and he would make her the happiest woman in the world. He wanted to see her smile and laugh, and do all the things she loved most. And so, from that day on, Yixing did everything he could to excel in his studies and physical training, intent on making sure he would be an ideal husband for Su Yingyue. 

 

15 year old Zhang Yixing, of course, didn’t know that he had fallen in love with the little girl who had become his constant companion. At age 15, he didn’t know what it meant to love a woman. 

 

And then, when Yixing was 19 and Yingyue was 16, everything changed once more.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: Hello hello! Another Yixing fanfic? Why yes, it is. I've always wanted to write a three lifetimes story, and my first try has come to a (temporary) standstill (I'll go back and finish it, I promise!) In the meantime, if you like this story, please upvote, comment, and subscribe for more!