(final)

To love and be loved.

 

It was quiet.

 

Gentle shuffles sounded across wooden floorboards, bringing along with them the warm scent of fabric softener as a petite lady walked into the bedroom. In her arms was a handful of cosmetics products that ranged from numerous shades of foundations to vivid blushers. With every step she took, tubes and plastic containers knocked against each other, rousing the male who was in his slumber.

 

Byun Baekhyun opened his eyes to a crack as he squinted at the huge array of miniature items now strewn haphazardly on his desk.

 

“Baby, what are you doing?”

 

Jumping at the husky voice that was still laced with fatigue, Kim Taeyeon turned slowly, a sheepish grin already forming by her lips. The sight of a sleepy Baekhyun sitting cross-legged under the blankets greeted her.

 

Without waiting for an answer, Baekhyun stretched his arms out drowsily with his eyes half-closed and a pout that tugged (pretty violently) at Taeyeon’s heartstrings. The latter found herself walking straight towards the bed and into his embrace.

 

As soon as he had her safely held against his chest, Baekhyun groaned happily and fell backwards onto the messy white sheets beneath them, dragging her along with him. Taeyeon squeaked in a high-pitched tone as she felt the tips of his fingers dig into her sides. Jerking uncontrollably, pleats of laughter spilled past her agape lips and she had her eyes shut tightly as if it would stop Baekhyun from tickling her any further.

 

“B-Baek-!”

 

A boisterous laugh boomed above her – her most absolute favourite sound in the whole wide world.

 

Finally finding a gap underneath his arm, Taeyeon wriggled out and grabbed one of his huge brown pillows along the way. Without looking, she tossed it behind her and knew she hit bullseye when his shout was muffled. When there was no sound that hinted signs of pursuit, Taeyeon glanced back, only to find Baekhyun mimicking a ghost, hands clawing at the air as he bit down on the pillow that she threw, pretending that the pillow was her.

 

God, he’s so odd but she absolutely loved it.

 

Taeyeon let her gaze linger on him. The black supreme sweater that she had gotten him for his birthday was oversized but it’s the way he loved it. It hung off his frame yet accentuating his broad shoulders and she wanted nothing more than to bury her face between those strong shoulder blades. Her eyes trailed from the sweater, to the trackpants hanging low on his hips thanks to the mini pillow fight earlier on, to his recently trimmed tousled hair. It practically bounced with his every minuscule movement and Taeyeon had half the mind to use his shampoo, but she remembered it smelled strongly of herbs. Perhaps she would use it one day. Probably when her hair gives up from the constant bleaching and dyeing.

 

Her eyes traveled further. A pair of warm orbs stared back at hers, gaze highly amused.

 

“I know, I know. I have the features of a Greek God-“

 

“You do.”

 

Baekhyun was stunned for a moment, the tips of his ears reddening slightly, before his eyes narrowed suspiciously. “Spill it! You have a favour to ask, don’t you?”

 

In all honesty, Taeyeon was speaking the truth, but she would never admit to that. Hence, instead of denying, she bit down on her lower lip and inched closer to his desk. All the while, Baekhyun kept his eyes on her fidgeting form as curiosity filled him.

 

Gingerly, Taeyeon held up one of the many lipsticks among the mess. “A makeup session with you as the model, pretty please?” She half-whispered, eyes going as wide as they can to mimic a puppy’s expression. She knew neither Zero nor Ginger looked anything like that, but she sure hoped Mongryong did.

 

A heartbeat passed.

 

Baekhyun blinked and scrambled up as best as he could with his limbs tangled among the crumpled sheets. “Are those chemicals safe? My skin’s tolerance has been building up, but I’m still cautious about the products I use.”

 

And that is what Taeyeon loved about him. No judgemental stares; no “Excuse me, I am a guy. What do I need makeup for?” She would even go as far to say he was as curious about makeup as she was. Definitely not a maniac like her, but someone who genuinely enjoyed learning about makeup.

 

“I’ve checked beforehand!” Taeyeon chirped as she ushered Baekhyun to sit on the chair that she had pulled out in a rush. There was no vanity mirror, so she decided she would just use her own compact one later on. “These are new products that one of my makeup artists is launching next week. They don’t really suit me that much, but I thought of you the moment I saw these shades and the fact that they use environmental-friendly ingredients. I’ve asked in detail and she told me they are all really gentle on the skin so it should be fine for you, though I’m not sure what look I should create and you might-“

 

Baekhyun encircled his slender fingers around her wrist gently, effectively putting her rambling to an abrupt halt. “Hey, hey. It’s alright. I trust you, remember?”

 

Warmth blossomed as Taeyeon looked down at the sitting male, noting how his eyes shone of sincerity, love, and nothing but patience and only patience for her. A bashful smile gradually grew on her face. “Thank you, Baekhyun.”

 

Grinning cheekily, Baekhyun turned to look ahead of him again. “Alright!” He clapped his hands, harrumphing dramatically like an old man. “Time to turn me into a Disney princess.”

 

Taeyeon wasted no time in searching for that one foundation base she knew would suit him the moment she saw the sample. Upon locating it, she grabbed a few other essentials and placed them neatly in a pile. Next to her, Baekhyun already had his eyes closed, a gentle smile playing on his lips.

 

With practiced movements, Taeyeon bent just a little to apply a thin layer of base. She decided that a concealer was not needed since Baekhyun’s skin was (unfairly, she had muttered under her breath) flawless. She was aware that he had a schedule in a few hours’ time, and since it was a themed photoshoot, she knew the staff would have this makeup look removed and replace it with the one they had in mind. Thus, she worked on a simple, dewy look that would enhance his supple skin.

 

As soon as Taeyeon lifted the eyebrow pencil off him and turned away, Baekhyun’s tongue darted out to wet his lips while shaking his right leg. A subtle action whenever he was nervous.

 

“Taeyeon.” He murmured.

 

There was a questioning hum from Taeyeon as she picked at a lip tint’s plastic wrapper. The crinkling sound of plastic unraveling filled the air until Baekhyun spoke again. Hesitantly, tentatively.

 

In fact, his volume was so small that Taeyeon had to put the half-opened lip tint down and turn towards him. “Huh? What did you say?”

 

There was a slight furrow in his brows, lips upturned into a small pout unconsciously. This time, his voice was much clearer, much louder. “I want that strawberry flavoured one.”

 

A pause.

 

Baekhyun looked up with a furtive glance, gaze hopeful as the end of his eyes drooped like a puppy.

 

Resisting the urge to coo at him, Taeyeon cleared . “It’s from a totally different brand though, will you be alright with that? I’m not too sure about its ingredients and I’ll have to go back to my apartment to retrieve it-“

 

“No can do.”

 

Taeyeon blinked. “What?”

 

“No can do.” Baekhyun repeated, firmly this time. “There’s no way we’re going back to your place and waste time. You’re wearing it now, right?”

 

Instinctively, Taeyeon pursed her lips and ran her tongue over the strawberry flavoured tint. It’s not one of her favourites, but she really liked how the coral shade looked on her. Not to mention, strawberries were her boyfriend’s favourite.

 

Something glinted in Baekhyun’s eyes as he tugged gently at the hem of Taeyeon’s cotton shirt, coaxing her to bend down while he rose ever so slowly. Taeyeon swore there was just this magnetizing effect that Baekhyun emanated, for she followed his directions without hesitation and a peck came at her lips so sudden that she could barely react before he pulled away.

 

Another peck came, this time a lingering one.

 

Baekhyun was now standing to his full height, head lowered as he looked at her fondly. His previously bare lips were now carrying a sheen of coral that mirrored her own. Her heart lurched dangerously as he tasted her lip tint off his parted lips. With that simple action, the stain was now smudged at the corner of his lips.

 

“I want more.” Baekhyun whispered, looking very much like a kid asking for candies.

 

Taeyeon gulped and tightened her grip on his forearms (when in the world did her fingers find purchase there?). Despite the air-conditioner, it was getting way too hot and her feet took a tentative step back so that she could at least breathe properly, but Byun Baekhyun was not allowing that. A swift movement brought them into close proximity again, his hands on the small of her back, lips pressed against her in mild urgency.

 

Twirling them around, Baekhyun walked towards the bed while she stepped backwards blindly. But she trusted Baekhyun wholeheartedly, her entire form melting into his as he sighed in satisfaction, nose buried in her soft locks. As soon as they landed on the bed with a slight bounce, Baekhyun propped himself up on his elbows, eyes tracing each and every of her features. A hand left her back and swept the hair that was covering her face away.

 

On the other hand, Taeyeon took her time admiring his eyes, his dumbo ears, his everything. Thought to herself how she got so lucky, and how much she wished time would just stop during then.

 

“I love you. A lot. I don’t think words can express how much I do.” Baekhyun murmured. “It’d be lovely if you’re my wife.”

 

Taeyeon felt the back of her eyes burn, a prickling sensation attacking her nose. He said those words so very often, but each time feels just like the first.

 

“You say that to me every single day.” She teased.

 

Baekhyun replied without a moment of hesitation, “Because I think you deserve to hear that all the time. Also because my love for you is overflowing – in a good way.”

 

“I know we’re not the best couple around.” He continued. “We’ve been through so many ups and downs, so many doubts and so much uncertainty. The first few years were hell, even I must admit. I didn’t think we would come to this step. I thought my career was ruined and may never have the chance to even talk to you ever again.

 

But you were there, all along, and as cheesy as this sounds, you’ve never left my mind. Your smile, your embrace, and just you being you. You don’t know how much it hurt when I had to avoid you even though we were just mere feet away – onstage and offstage. You don’t know how elated I was when you gave us another chance. When you opened up to me, when you let me lead you to where the light was. And when we’re cities apart, more than 10 hours away, I think of you waiting for me. I often wonder about how it would be like if you truly were waiting for me in our home, with our children as I work hard to provide for us. And I think I like that idea a lot.”

 

Taeyeon couldn’t speak; couldn’t utter a single word. Not when Baekhyun had reached into his pocket and was now holding onto a black velvet ring box, his fingers trembling ever so slightly.

 

“Will you be my wife?” He finally asked, voice nothing but a hushed whisper that weighed a thousand tonnes. “Let me love and take care of you for the rest of your life?” It was ironic how an insanely stable vocalist like him cracked his voice towards the end of his question, but no one could blame the guy. His heart was thumping so crazily as he stared at the girl, tears b in his eyes at the mere thought of walking with her for years and years to come.

 

Taeyeon let out an embarrassing, choking sound from the back of as she nodded her head jerkily, shaky hands covering . Baekhyun broke into the widest grin she has ever seen, his boxy smile filling her blurry vision. Fingers rushed to wipe her tears away as he leaned in to peck her forehead before meeting her lips, tasting his favourite flavour on his favourite girl. Lips moved in tandem as Baekhyun slipped the ring onto Taeyeon’s finger, his thumb caressing the back of her palm.

 

 

It was quiet

as they both lay on their backs,

fingers intertwined

admiring the ring that sparkled under the warm lights.

 

 

It was their favourite kind of quiet.