I Pray To You

All But One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Almighty Celestial… I pray to you –“ Screams of terror sound throughout the temple, causing the trembling woman to cry out in fear; knowing her life is close to its end.

   “- I pray to you! Spare my son! Protect him!” The sobbing woman moves aside her robes, revealing a gently wrapped in white baby. The babe senses his mother’s fear, quickly wailing in distress amidst the unknown chaos and slaughter of the people of Yevenia. The scared mother whispers comforting words into the forehead of her child, letting her tears drip onto his skin, before she’s pulling a golden dagger from her sleeve.

   Holding the blade to her chest, she closes her eyes and speaks.

   “I give my life for him.”

   The weapon pierces her body with ease, blood tainting white with red as she collapses to the marbled floor, displaying grace even in moments of death.

   Screams and threatening yells draw closer with every last breath the woman draws. As her vision begins to fail – as the ringing in her ears becomes deafening – she sees a figure. The figure stands proud, features set in a pitying frown, with an aura of light guiding it towards the crying baby. The figure’s skin glistens with stars and their eyes – a brilliant cyan blue – are wide as they flit between the dying mother and her son. The silken robes upon the figure, flow with an elegance unparalleled by any other. Dainty feet touch the ground just as snow white hands reach out to retrieve the awed child.

   “T-thank you.” The woman utters; blood trailing down her cheek as she witnesses the figure turn towards her failing body. Only then does she see all of the figure – all off the man – and only then does she allow her eyes to close forever.

   She can move on to the afterlife, knowing her son will be safe.

 

-

 

   “Baekhyun! Get back here now!”

   The boy’s head peaks out from behind the crate, spying his agitated guardian marching towards him with a cleaver in hand.

   Hurriedly, the boy glances towards his co-conspirator and best friend – who is crouched next to him with a hand over his mouth to prevent his laughter from escaping – before a mischievous smirk graces his lips.

   “Time to go.”

   The two troublemakers jump from their hiding spot behind the wooden food crate, rounding the kitchen table before sprinting through the shack’s open door. The two boys twist and turn through disgruntled farmers and market goers, ignoring the feeble protests from pretentious elders who never grew accustomed to their antics.

   “Byun! You’re in so much trouble!” His guardian screeches from the other side of the market’s ruckus. He knows he’ll be facing a world of torment when he returns home, yet he couldn’t resist; one sip of the delightful beverage and he just had to share it with his friend.

   “How in ‘trouble’ are we, exactly?” His best friend questions, loudly, as they manage to break free from the crowd only to make a break for the forest.

   “On a scale of one to ten? Ten.”

   “Brilliant.”

   The duo pass through rows of trees, that rustle in the subtle wind and grow beneath the unrelenting beams of sunlight. Branches snag their clothing and leaves catch in their windswept hair, but they keep going. The friends run until they reach the embankment leading down to rivulets of glistening water. The stream passes straight through the village, both males know this and turn left as to follow the path home. Only, a flash of pure white catches Baekhyun’s attention; stalling his movements until he’s left gasping for breath, shirt open to reveal his sweat slicked chest and hair ru

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter