different time

just kids

Seulgi sighed as her car slowed to a stop, the leather covering of her steering wheel brushing by, smooth, under her fingers as it spun back into place. The soft music playing from the radio faded to motor silence as her car’s engine hummed quieter and quieter. With a gentle click, her headlights switched off. A single beep followed as she pulled out the key from her ignition. Silence dawned on the woman sitting alone in the yellow car.

 

Outside and across from where she was parked, a luxurious little five-star restaurant in the busy Gangnam street waited. Seulgi’s face was temporarily lit in the blue light of her phone as she checked the time. She had left her place much earlier than planned, not wanting to be late, and now that she was there, she found herself hoping she wasn’t the first to arrive, nerves moving her fingers to restless tapping on the sides of her phone. 

 

“Let’s do this, then,” she sighed, slipping her phone back into her jeans pocket. 

 

Giving her oversized button-up one last pat down, she opened her car door and stepped out, squinting at the steps leading up to tall windows. A glance at the interior of the fully booked restaurant, brightly lit and, for lack of better word, expensive.

 

“Yes, we have a reservation,” she said, nodding politely at the well-dressed man standing before her who’d introduced himself as the maitre d’ for the night. “Um—Bae Joohyun?”

 

The man frowned, his eyes scanning the guestlist propped open in his hand. “Apologies, ma’am, I don’t think your name was listed. Are we sure—”

 

“It’s not my name,” Seulgi replied quickly, craning her neck to take a look at the guestlist herself. “Can you try—Irene?”

 

“Ah, yes!” the man smiled, his eyes stopping at the mononym in the middle of the guestlist. “Here we are—please let me show you to your seat.”

 

“Sure—is—is anyone here yet?” Seulgi stuttered, trying to look around the seats inside. “Am I first?” she asked in nervous laughter.

 

“Miss Irene arrived not long ago,” the man replied with a kind smile, to Seulgi’s relief. He turned, the guestlist stuffed under his arm, and bowed for Seulgi to go on in.

 

How many years had it been since they’d last seen each other? Seulgi wasn’t sure. Had to be more than five. Or six. But there was no mistaking that backside. Not when her dress exposed it so. Long dark locks of hair kept to one side, a shiny chain around her neck like a centerpiece. Seulgi couldn’t help but smile, noticing the way the other woman's shoulders were bent as she typed onto her phone. 

 

Seulgi nodded her thanks to the maitre d' who bowed back briskly and walked away to accommodate a new group of guests who'd walked in. The ex-idol slowed to a stop, just behind her ex-leader.

 

“Miss Irene,” she called softly, a mischievous grin forming on her face, her hand gently patting the seated woman’s shoulder.

 

Irene spun her head in shock, eyes widening as she slowly registered the younger woman standing before her. Not that she was that much older. There was the tiniest, strained little squeal as she stood up and threw her arms around Seulgi. “Oh my god,” she whispered, squeezing.

 

“Long time no see,” Seulgi exclaimed over the light ambience of the restaurant, almost hopping in place from the sudden excitement. What had she been so worried about? “Beautiful as ever, our visual,” she added, playfully cupping Irene's cheek.

 

//

 

They were in their nasty teens when they'd met, weren't they? Kids, really. Seulgi remembered feeling a little intimidated by the older girl who stood in the practice room. They were introduced to each other, both timid and quiet, both wondering if they would even remember each others' names in a few years' time.

 

But Bae Joohyun wasn't just pretty and stunning and the center-of-attention—all of which were traits out of her control. She was actually pretty kind too and—Seulgi came to admit days after their first meeting—pretty darn hilarious.

 

They would spend the next few years of their rigorous idol training growing closer together, cheering each other on and helping each other through the ups and downs of a career choice so volatile and yet, so tempting.

 

Years later, they would have difficulty explaining in interviews what it was that brought them so close together. Keywords like trust, calmness, camaraderie and the like were tossed about throughout their career, but none of them seemed right enough to explain the ‘click’ that happened the day Seulgi decided, so many years ago, that she wanted to be Joohyun’s friend.

 

Back then, even well into their 20s, they were just kids navigating a cruel and grueling career. 

 

But things were different now. Now that all the spotlight and the cameras and the fanchants were well behind them, it all seemed like a grand fever dream. Like something they still couldn’t believe had happened to them. The Cinderella night of a lifetime.

 

//

 

“Hey, I hear you've been doing well for yourself, Kang Seulgi,” Irene teased, eyebrow raised playfully as she looked at the woman sat across her, sipping from her wine glass. “How are the rookies?”

 

Seulgi shook her head and gave a dismissive wave. “One to talk, Best Actress,” she quipped. Even so, she fished out her phone from her pocket and started scrolling through her camera roll before finding the picture she was looking for. She lifted her phone for Irene to see. “My babies,” she said in the tone of a proud parent.

 

Irene lifted herself from her chair, squinting at the picture on the phone—four teenage girls wearing different colored matching headbands, all with different colored hair dye, posing cute in front of a mirror. “They remind me of us,” the older woman said, smiling to herself as she sat back down on her seat.

 

The dancer chuckled, pocketing her phone and picking up her wine glass. “Don't you think we looked cuter?” Seulgi joked.

 

“Please, I hated our debut hair,” Irene laughed, her hand unconsciously going to her hair, fingers combing down the strands on her shoulder. Another sip from her wine glass. “Do they get along?”

 

Seulgi shrugged. “Well, considering two of them are dating,” she explained. “And the other two spend their time teasing them about it on- and off-stage—I'd say they're pretty close, yeah.”

 

Irene sighed, leaning back on her chair, propping her elbow up on the armrest. “Right. Times have really changed, huh?” she wondered aloud.

 

The dancer nodded in grim agreement. “They wouldn't have careers by now if it was during our time,” she said, a small smile forming in her lips.

 

A sad silence dawned on them. The background chatter and din of spoons and forks and knives against plates seemed to muffle as the two women sunk deep in thought. There was a bitter kind of nostalgia creeping in the back of their minds. The silent realization that the kids these days had it better than they ever did in their time. 

 

No more hiding or pretending. No more pre-planned dating rumors and scandals coming from executives and company boards.

 

//

 

Seulgi realized she liked girls sometime in her teens. She was already a trainee by then, and she thought it seemed natural that she would ‘go that way’ seeing as she was surrounded by girls at the company most of the time.

 

Of course, she never really spoke up about it. It was just one of those unspeakable things, especially as someone in pursuit of an idol career, among other things.

 

She remembered the first time Joohyun's face had gone too close to hers. They were just kids at the time. The older girl's big round eyes meeting hers, lingering. They were just messing around with the others in the practice room. Seulgi figured it was normal to blush from it, to feel awkward, to laugh off the moment and punctuate it with a playful punch to Joohyun's shoulder. She remembered the turmoil it put her in. Not wanting to mess things up for herself and the other members. Especially Joohyun.

 

They were just kids. And they were girls in a girlgroup. They spent a lot of time together, and even lived together. Seulgi knew, as she got older, that she was undeniably, almost embarrassingly, attracted to her fellow member. To Joohyun. As she grew older, and the world stayed the same, she realized it was just another thing to be shelved at the back corners of her mind. Another unspeakable thing that would put everything they'd worked for at risk.

 

To her credit, sometimes Seulgi would wonder if Joohyun knew. Or if the older girl felt and thought the same. They held hands, they hugged, they slept in each other's beds when things got too loud. They were best friends, and they were girls in a girlgroup. Was it just natural for them to stick to each other the way that they did?

 

Their years as top, respected idols in the industry seemed to pile on more and more unspeakable things in Seulgi's mind. It was a wonder she managed to pull it together and survive their contract. Not that she could or would ever let it go so easily. Not after all the hard work she'd put in, and the hard work of her other members. The sacrificed childhood and youth. Especially Joohyun's.

 

Their 20s were a tad easier. It was easier to joke about things like that. About being in love. About feelings. About being attracted to girls. They weren't things they could discuss at length or in any level of seriousness, but they were at least a bit more open about it.

 

They were still just kids, but there was a false sense of maturity that came with all the years they'd spent rehearsing and recording and performing and traveling. All that could do a lot to young girls. They were at the top of the world. Sold out tours and screaming fans wherever they went. They were earning enough not to have to worry about the little stuff or the bigger stuff. Seulgi could afford anything she wanted, and yet, singing and dancing on-stage night after night, she couldn't help wondering why something still felt… lacking.

 

They were successful. All that hard work had paid off. They weren't running out of opportunities, left and right. They could go wherever they wanted, do whatever they wanted. 

 

But still, whenever she held Joohyun's hand on-stage, or during interviews, it was still tainted by secrecy. Still done in hiding. In fear of rumors, speculations… Anything that could and would put their dreams in danger. At the time, nothing was worth risking what they had. They were at the peaks of their success, their fandom only growing with every release and every project. 

 

Seulgi could get anything she wanted in the world, but not the one woman who made her heart beat just a beat faster when she turned and smiled or laughed. But that was years ago. Years before their contract ended and they all went their separate ways. 

 

//

 

The others arrived just in time to break the two's growing silence. Sooyoung was the loudest, shrieking and jumping to give Seulgi a hug. Yerim started endlessly teasing Joohyun about still using her stage name for making reservations, a silly tactic the older woman admitted to falling back to because her real name was what she started using when she started focusing on acting, and it was becoming the more recognizable name. Seungwan—still going by Wendy—came with gifts from LA where she had just returned from after months of recording with a top American producer.

 

Just in time for their get-together. Their reunion.

 

How many years had it been? None of the five were sure. When they finally finished their hugs and greetings and took their seat at the table, Seulgi found herself sitting next to Joohyun.

 

They talked and joked about everything that helped fill in the blanks of the past years they'd lived in separation. Updates on career moves, dating rumors, marriage rumors. Jokes about a comeback stage in case the company would call. (Seulgi was silently grateful to learn that Joohyun hadn't met nor settled with someone yet, although she didn't quite know why.)

 

They were no longer kids, sure, but they had never been freer. It was the new batch of idols' time now. Like Seulgi had said, it was her babies' time to shine. Now, they could have dinners in the middle of Gangnam District without seeing unflattering pictures of them the next day.

 

The conversation once again found its way to Seulgi's newly debuted girlgroup. The second group of girls she had debuted under her own entertainment company. The others simply asked because hers was the only career closest to what they had back then. 

 

Sooyoung was modeling and acting full-time, Yerim was a newly-dubbed award-winning variety queen, and Wendy was establishing herself in the American music industry. They were all doing things they couldn't do in full liberty back then. Not without contracts and schedules getting in the way, anyway.

 

“I think MinMin couple's cute,” Yerim said, referencing the popular couple name of the two girls from Seulgi's company. “That MV still blows my mind, by the way.”

 

“Yeah, we couldn't have done all that back then,” Wendy nodded. “Remember when we suggested something like that, Sooyoung?”

 

Joohyun shook her head, grinning. “You almost got in trouble for that, I remember,” she said.

 

Their food had arrived at the table by then, and the conversation seemed to have died down a little as all five of them dug in their orders. Seulgi couldn't remember the last time they had a meal together like this. All of them at one table, talking, laughing. 

 

It wasn't anything malicious that kept them apart all these years since their girlgroup ceased activities. There were groupchats during the first few months, until eventually everyone was too busy to reply or to update or to send photos. There was no drama. Life just took its many turns for each of the five of them. 

 

“Speaking of couples,” Sooyoung began suddenly, bringing her hand to as she held back laughter. “Yerim and I used to think you and Seulgi were one.”

 

It was really quick, their eyes meeting for the tiniest second, before both Seulgi and Joohyun joined in the group's laughter. As if such a thing was so ridiculous. Unspeakable.

 

//

 

They had kissed a few times. The few times they were allowed to get drunk, or alone, without the other members around. They weren't teenagers anymore by the time they had their first kiss. But things had been harder than usual that year, their comeback constantly getting pushed back for the company's new boygroup (or was it a subunit?). They had come home from a taping for some show, and one of them suggested they drank a bit, just to empty out the apartment's refrigerator. 

 

Seulgi had fallen asleep in Joohyun's arms that night, both tired and drunk and unable to put to words the weight of what the two of them kissing meant. The next day, Joohyun about it, and they had a laugh, and Seulgi got shy. And that was it.

 

Had they been born a later time, and things like that weren't so unspeakable, would that night have led to something more? Seulgi never let herself think of that. Not for the rest of their time as a girlgroup, anyway. Their work was hard enough without distractions like it. 

 

Back then, things happened and some things were okay to talk about, while others became forgettable inside jokes.

 

The next few times that they kissed, Seulgi realized it was as far as Joohyun and her would ever go. Whatever the kisses meant, they were just—that. Joohyun had made it clear over the years, publicly and in private, that she cherished Seulgi's company. They were the two oldest members, and they had spent the most time together out of the five. Seulgi never allowed herself to think about whether or not that meant anything. To her, a little kissing over the years seemed relatively trivial. Anything beyond that would endanger their position, and the other members, and all of their careers. It wasn't worth it. It was never a question to consider.

 

“Is it weird?” Seulgi once asked, breathless. “That we're doing this?”

 

“We don't even know what this is, Seulgi,” Joohyun had replied. “And honestly, I'm kind of scared to put a word to it.”

 

“Me too,” Seulgi agreed. And she did. She knew the pressures Joohyun dealt with; she was their leader after all. There was no way she was going to do anything that would get Joohyun in trouble. 

 

It was one of the last times the two had kissed in the privacy of Seulgi's room, a movie playing loud in the background, just in case. A few months after that, they were rehearsing and learning choreography for their final stage. 

 

//

 

“I can drive you home,” Seulgi offered, dangling her car keys in front of Joohyun. Another luxury she didn't have the chance to do at the time. She never knew how good it felt to drive her own car until she no longer had a company car with a manager or a driver driving for them.

 

Dinner was done. They were all saying their goodbyes, taking selfies. There was a new groupchat being made on Yerim's or Sooyoung's phone, and amidst the chaos of old friends saying bye and promises to catch up and 'do this again', Seulgi had noticed Joohyun trying to book a cab on her phone.

 

“Sure,” Joohyun nodded, putting her phone back in her handbag.

 

By the time they were standing outside Seulgi's car, waving goodbyes at their parting friends, Seulgi wondered why she volunteered to do this.

 

It wasn't like it was supposed to be a big deal. Seulgi figured it was just the awkwardness of not having seen or spoken to each other in person in a long time.

 

In the car, Seulgi did her best to make conversation. It all felt strange and surreal to her still. This wasn't something she used to have trouble with—talking with Joohyun. At least not when it was just the two of them.

 

They had parted on good terms, and in the years leading up to Joohyun's budding acting career, the two often spoke over the phone, the younger woman often asking her ex-leader for advice with her company. They had never once broached the topic of their relationship, or friendship, or whatever it was they shared throughout the years. It had never been an issue for them—just a fun, silly part of their career life. 

 

Seulgi figured it was just the change of scenery, and being surrounded by the other members again, that ignited these new questions in the back of her mind. Questions she would never have asked back then. Questions she had intentionally kept hidden, all these years. Questions like—

 

“Did you miss me?” Joohyun asked suddenly, grinning at her from the passenger's seat.

 

Seulgi chuckled. “Of course. I miss all of us hanging out like that,” she said.

 

“Your babies,” Joohyun pondered aloud, rubbing her finger on her chin. “They're younger than when we started. But I feel like they have it more… together. You know?”

 

“What do you mean?” Seulgi could only ask.

 

She could hear the older woman exhale. She chanced a glance sideways, noted the small smile forming on those red lips. “What were we doing, back then?” Joohyun asked. She wasn't looking at Seulgi. 

 

“We were just being there for each other,” Seulgi answered. It came out so naturally, she was a little surprised herself. After all, it was her own mantra from back in the day. When she didn't want to think about what anything meant. When holding Joohyun's hand backstage or during a plane ride was enough.

 

“They're very lucky, those kids,” Joohyun said.

 

The car moved silently, weaving through the sparse night traffic. Seulgi peered through the windshield at the condo buildings towering above them, approaching, signaling the end of her conversation with Joohyun. What a short Cinderella night.

 

“Do you think—if we were in their shoes now,” Joohyun began, her fingers working the seatbelt as it clacked off. Then she turned to face the younger woman, round eyes boring holes into hers. “What do you think would've happened?”

 

Seulgi didn't know what to say. What did Joohyun want to hear? Why was she asking all of these questions? When was she going to see her again after tonight? Another ten or so years?

 

“I guess we'll never know,” Seulgi replied, shrugging.

 

Joohyun nodded, still smiling to herself. “Right.”

 

Seulgi heard the click of her car door opening, and for reasons she couldn't justify, her hand shot out, reaching for Joohyun's. Stopping her from leaving. Not yet. Was it a good thing that Joohyun didn't pull away? They've been friends for too long. What's a little hand holding? “Whatever it was,” Seulgi hesitated, the words jumbling at the bottom of . “I'm grateful.”

 

Joohyun waved one last goodbye as she made her way up the steps to her tower lobby. Seulgi returned it in kind, smiling up at her old best friend. 

 

It crossed her mind that she probably wasn't going to see Joohyun again in a long while. They were both busy, and getting all five of them together in one place was proving difficult enough anyway. They were moving in different friend circles, hanging out at different hubs in Seoul. 

 

It crossed her mind that the next time they would meet might be at one of their weddings. It was a quick, passing thought. Seulgi rolled it around in her brains for a second and quickly—for reasons she didn't know—decided she didn't like thinking about that. 

 

//

 

They held hands and hugged a lot. On stage, off-stage, in interviews, variety appearances, livestreams… It was okay as long as it wasn't too much. 

 

When it got to be too much, Joohyun would knock on Seulgi's door the night after and they would have a 'talk'. Their manager had texted her, Joohyun would explain. They can't be doing that stuff too much. Articles might come up. It would affect their sales, their charts, their reputation. 

 

Every time they had the 'talk', like sad clockwork, they would try to sit or stand apart from each other on their next outing. They would do all the same things, the hand holding, the hugging, the leaning one's head on the other's shoulder, but with the other members.

 

Seulgi often wondered, all those years, if the other three knew. If they suspected anything. It was all unspeakable, of course, but was it unthinkable? 

 

Not that Seulgi knew exactly what there was between Joohyun and her to think or speak about. They fell asleep on each other's shoulders or laps or arms all the time. Why not? They led an exhausting life. A constant rollercoaster ride. Always being ushered to go here and there. They said “I love you” all the time, took pictures, stayed up and out on nights they didn't have group activities scheduled. They had talks about the future, of what they wanted to do, where they wanted to be, once this life of fame was over with. 

 

Whether love or friendship (why not both?), Joohyun and Seulgi teetered dangerously, discreetly, in between the two throughout the years. She couldn't speak for the older member, but for Seulgi, it was what kept her sane and grounded.

 

//

 

Seulgi's fingers drummed restlessly on her steering wheel, going in and out of beat with the radio music playing softly. Not that Seulgi could hear it. She was busy listening to the beeping of the call tone in her earphones.

 

“Seulgi?” Joohyun's voice greeted her. “Did I leave anything in the car?” 

 

“Sorry, were you sleeping?” Seulgi asked in response.

 

“No, I was just cleaning up,” Seulgi could hear running water, muffled, in the background. Things being picked up and put down. “Are you home now?” 

 

“Uh, yeah,” Seulgi lied, peering at the rearview mirror as she made another turn. In fact, this was what she’d been doing since watching Joohyun walk away and into her condo building. She had thought about going home. There was that meeting she needed to get sorted the next morning. But something kept her going, driving in circles around the condominium block as headlights sped past her. It must have been at least two hours since she’d said her bye to Joohyun.

 

“Is something wrong?”

 

“No,” another lie. It was probably dangerous to be driving when she was this unfocused, her mind racing. “I just—I was thinking about—”

 

“Hmm?” Joohyun hummed, curious.

 

“What you said—earlier,” Seulgi began, her heart pounding. “I don’t know when we’re meeting again, so—” her words were jammed, clinging desperately to the tip of her tongue. “I think you should know I was—maybe—probably—in love with you. I’m not sure. I never thought about it too much. I didn’t want to get us—well, you—in trouble.”

 

Seulgi’s car pulled to a stop by an empty parking lot. She needed to exhale, she knew. She waited for the beep tone, the sound that signified Joohyun had hung up. Or even a laugh. Her loud, maniacal laugh. Something.

 

“You can hang up,” Seulgi suggested after a minute, leaning back on her seat, her eyes fixed on the steering wheel in front of her. “I mean—it’s fine.”

 

“And what about now?” Joohyun’s question was quiet, accompanied only by the soft static in their call.

 

Seulgi ran her fingers through her hair, sighing. “Now, I… I can’t stop thinking about it,” she realized. She couldn’t stop thinking of Joohyun sitting alone in the middle of that luxury restaurant. She couldn’t stop thinking of Joohyun in her luxury condo. Most importantly, she couldn’t stop thinking of the Joohyun she’d grown up with, from all those years ago. The one with dyed hair and contact lenses. The one whose hand hers looked for the most.

 

“Where are you, Seulgi?”

 

“Home,” she lied, again. “I’m sorry, I just wanted you to know—just in case you find someone. Or just in case I find someone. I just—don’t want to regret anything.”

 

Silence. Just soft static in her earphones, and her car’s engine.

 

“Do you remember when we used to walk and talk at Hangang Park?” Joohyun asked.

 

“Of course,” Seulgi replied.

 

“I miss that,” Joohyun mumbled in a small voice.

 

Seulgi sighed as she shifted back to first gear, her car slowly humming back into motion, her fingers tightening around the steering wheel. “Well—let’s go,” she decided. “I’m picking you up.”

 

“I thought—”

 

“I’m having a strange night,” Seulgi smiled to herself. “Ten years ago, I wouldn’t be able to say half the stuff I said to you just now. So just—bear with me, okay?”

 

“We were just kids, Seulgi,” Joohyun said. And Seulgi could’ve sworn she heard a smile in that sentence. She didn’t know how that could be, but it was one of those things where you could hear whenever someone smiled while singing, or speaking.

 

//

 

Joohyun was ready outside her lobby when Seulgi’s car made its turn. She was out of her little backless dress and was instead wearing an oversized t-shirt over jeans. And still, Seulgi found it difficult not to look. They shared an awkward wave before Joohyun found herself back in Seulgi’s car, and then they were back on the roads, music playing, streetlights floating by. They barely spoke. Speaking into her earphones, Seulgi found, was so much easier than having to look Joohyun in the eyes.

 

But still, here they were, seated next to each other on the steps of Hangang Park, both finding solace in their comfortable silence, hugging their knees and occasionally catching the other staring or glancing.

 

“Should I have told you,” Seulgi asked. “Back then?”

 

Joohyun gave her a small shrug, her eyes fixed on the starry night above them. “I don’t know if that would’ve done anything,” she replied, honest. “It’s why I never said anything either.”

 

Seulgi nodded quietly to herself. So Joohyun thought about that stuff, too. How were they living and touring together all those years, holding the same secret?

 

“And what about now?” it was Seulgi’s turn to ask.

 

“Now,” Joohyun considered, letting go of her knees to stretch her arms. When she was done, her hand found Seulgi’s. “Now we could do stuff like this and people wouldn’t stare or talk.”

 

Seulgi laughed, but kept her hand steady, holding onto Joohyun’s. Just like a hundred times before, years ago. Like an old habit. “No articles either,” she added, grinning.

 

“It’s a different time now, Seulgi,” Joohyun said. Her words had come out in an exhale and a little smile. As if it was something trivial, like the weather, she was commenting on. “But I don’t resent our time back then. I still had fun.”

 

Joohyun let go of her hand then, standing up and patting down her jeans. Seulgi lingered behind and watched the smaller woman skip ahead to the railing overlooking the Han River. All around them, couples sat and stood, some young, some old, all of them laughing, talking, hugging. A few were kissing in the dimmer parts of the area, but Seulgi didn’t want to stare. Instead, she stood up and followed where Joohyun stood waiting for her, back against the railing, head tilted upwards to get a better view of the sky above them.

 

“What now?” Seulgi asked, taking her spot next to Joohyun.

 

“I’m not sure,” Joohyun shrugged. And then she leaned her head on Seulgi’s shoulder, her hair brushing against the taller woman’s neck. “We could do anything, really. No articles, right?”

 

Seulgi nodded. She turned to face Hangang Bridge behind them. They used to love pointing out the colors of the bridge’s light whenever they hung out at the spot. Tonight, years later, Seulgi noted the shades of rainbow colors that lit the huge bridge. She turned again to face Joohyun, who was staring at her, her cheeks pink from the cold night air. “Can I try something?” Seulgi dared.

 

Joohyun raised her eyebrows, just in time to feel Seulgi’s lips on hers.

 

When was the last time they had done that? They didn’t know. All they knew was that the last time, whenever that was, it would’ve been done behind closed doors. In secret. But Seulgi didn’t mind. At the moment, she wondered when the next time would be.

 

Joohyun snorted, grinning into Seulgi’s lips. “Sooyoung would freak if she knew,” she realized.

 

“Maybe they did know,” Seulgi pointed out, her arms curled around Joohyun’s waist, pulling her closer.

 

“How come we didn’t know?” Joohyun asked.

 

Seulgi shrugged, planting another kiss on Joohyun’s lips. She could get used to this. She really wouldn’t mind. “I don’t know. Different time. We were just kids,” Seulgi finally said.