The Best Kind of Worst

The Best Kind of Worst

“Which one should we watch?”

“I don’t really know. I’ve never heard of any of these.”

“All right, then what’s your favorite werewolf story? These are all pretty different.”

“I guess I’ve always liked the idea of wulvers.”

“Wulvers?” Yoongi scoffed, “They’re not real werewolves.” He shook his head, his black hair sweeping across his forehead as he did so.

“They are too. Just because they’re actually nice doesn’t mean that they’re not real werewolves,” you pouted.

“They’re called wulvers and not werewolves for a reason. Wulvers are wolf-man hybrids that leave food for the poor, and werewolves are shifters that go between wolves and men,” Yoongi explained.

“All right, Mr. Smarty Pants, then tell me what good werewolves do for humans.” You leaned forward, your chin resting in the palm of your hand.

“That’s easy. They protect the humans from things like vampires, and, when they’re not busy doing that, they keep to themselves and don’t bother anybody.” He stirred his coffee languidly. 

You tried not to focus on your best friend too hard, despite the fact that all you wanted to do was stare at him. The way his slender hands held the coffee stirrer as gently as if it were his precious sheet music, or the way his eyes always looked tired until they met yours and brightened instantly, or the way he was never shy with physical contact when he was tired – which was all the time – and held you close to his chest when you two would watch a movie at one of your apartments, it was all too much for you sometimes.

Yoongi was your best friend in the whole world; you weren’t dating. You doubted the boy even realized what he did to your feelings. You and Yoongi had met your freshman year of college. Even though math and music majors did not typically hang out that much due to different interests and a lack of overlapping classes, you had somehow become fast friends with the aspiring composer. He was also one of the few people that didn’t give you crap about being a female math major, which automatically landed him on your good side. He understood that you got the same feeling he got when he worked out the kinks in a troublesome song, and that you just got it when you worked out particularly challenging equations.

“Whatever,” you sighed, “anyway, what time is it?”

“Five-thirty-two,” he read off his phone.

“Dang, I really have to go. I need to get some stuff before I go home, and I don’t want to be out too late. You know what they say-“

“The full moon is when the crazies come out,” he finished for you. You beamed.

“Exactly! So, I’ll come over tomorrow, and we can watch whichever you decide on?” It was more of a statement than a question. Saturday was always movie night. 

Without saying a word, Yoongi picked up your jacket from the back of your seat and held it up so you could slip your arms in. He walked ahead of you, only stopping to hold the door for you. That was where you parted ways.

“Bye!” you called.

“See you then,” he replied.

Grocery shopping ended up taking a little longer than you had planned. After putting the food away, you still had to pick up a couple of books you had ordered the week before. Luckily, the bookstore wasn’t too far from your apartment complex. You could walk there and back easily; you just weren’t thrilled in being out that late. You were the type of person who liked to be home by dinner time and stay in for the rest of the evening most days, and today was one of those days. 

However, you decided to it up, and there you were, walking home with a bag of books at least an hour after sundown. Even though you had been joking about the crazies coming out during the full moon, you couldn't help but feel creeped out. Almost no one was outside. The last person you had passed had been an old lady nearly three blocks back. The full moon that hung just above the buildings provided enough light to illuminate the areas between the streetlights fairly well, but you would have preferred to be back in the safety of the artificial lights of the stores.

You were in the residential area of your neighborhood now, and you were finally just a block away from your apartment when you saw him. A beanie was perched loosely on his head, threatening to fall off of the doubled-over body you knew so well. You took a step forward.

“Yoongi?” you called tentatively.

His head snapped up at the sound of your voice. You were struck suddenly with how odd he looked. It was almost like he was sick, but you had never known him to get sick before. A light sheen of sweat shone on his forehead, and his dilated pupils reflected the light of the moon. He was panting hard, like he couldn’t get enough air. You in a breath.

“What’s wrong? You’re not on anything, right?” It wasn’t like him at all to try any kind of drug. You were both fairly sober people.

“Of course I’m not on anything!” he snapped, then shut his eyes in pain, “I’m sorry. Please, just go.”

“I’m not going until I’m sure you’re all right,” you said. Taking a few steps closer so that you could place a hand on his back, you were shocked to feel the incredible amount of heat coming through his jacket. Yoongi had always been on the warm side – and you on the cold – but this was just too much.

“You’re burning!” you yelped.

“It’s fine; don’t worry about me,” he said, wincing.

“Obviously not,” you huffed, “we need to get you to a hospital or something.”

“No, I just… Will you let me do something?” he asked.

“Of course; anything,” you agreed quickly.

“Okay, just not here.” His eyes slid back and forth, like he was just waiting for something to emerge from the shadows. You did not say anything - only nodded - and helped him up to your apartment. You received some questioning and disapproving looks from other residents in the halls, but you tried not to pay them any attention. You were more worried about your best friend.

When you were finally safely inside, you spoke up. “So what do you need?”

“.”

You froze in the middle of taking off your jacket, totally unprepared for that response.

“I’m kidding. Don’t trust anyone who tells you that, okay? It’s just sleazy and gross,” he said, rolling his eyes. Yep, that was definitely your Yoongi, able to make jokes and turn them into life lessons at the most inappropriate times.

“You’re such a loser,” you muttered.

“I know.” He gave you as much of a smile as he could muster. “Could you come here though?” He was reclining on your couch with one leg hanging off the side. He patted the space between his legs.

“Really? How is this supposed to help?” You crossed your arms.

“It will; I’m already starting to feel better. Just come on,” he whined. You could have sworn it sounded like a dog was whining at the same time, but you heard nothing else after it. Choosing to ignore it, you settled in the space he had made for you. 

You were about to lean back against his chest, thinking it would be like your typical couch time, but his grip on your shoulders stopped you from moving.

“Stay right there,” he murmured, “I hope this doesn’t hurt. I haven’t exactly done this before.”

“What? Yoo-“ You stopped when you felt his lips press against the back of your neck. You had no time to even begin to process this fact, however, as you were immediately distracted by a white-hot burning sensation in the same place. It was like hot coals were being pressed to your skin. Eyes shut tight, you yelped.

“Yoongi!” you sobbed. He jerked away immediately.

“Crap,” he hissed. He pulled you close, pushing your hair out of your face. You felt like every ounce of strength was leaving your body, and you fell limp in his arms. The last thing you heard was a shout that sounded a lot like your name.

You woke up to the feeling of someone the baby hairs on the back of your neck. The fingers were light and warm, and even from their gentle touches, you could tell they were slender. Yoongi.

You weren’t ready to open your eyes yet, so you focused on your immediate situation. You were lying on your side in what felt like your bed, and your best friend’s arm was curled around your shoulders. If you had to guess, he was facing you, watching you while he thought you were asleep. He did that more often than he thought you knew.

You groaned when you tried to open your eyes. The curtains had been drawn, so the light was soft, but you were still exhausted.

“You’re awake this time?” Yoongi’s voice came out as a low rumble that reverberated through his chest. You felt it in your own.

“Yeah,” you sighed, “What… What happened last night exactly?”

He opened his mouth to reply but closed it before he did.

“Yoongi?”

“I just don’t want this to end,” he said.

“What do you mean?” You were mostly awake at this point. His face was full of a guilt that you could not guess the source of.

He let his eyes wander over your features for a moment longer, his hand coming up to wrap a lock of your hair around his finger.

“I really love you. I have for a long time,” he said, his expression softening. 

“I love you too, you know. Is that what you were so worried about?” Exhaustion was the only thing stopping your feelings from going haywire. If his confession had come at any other time, you would have been a blushing, stuttering mess. Now, however, you just let his warmth fill you up and a content, humming kind of smile stretch across your lips.

“No, you can’t really love me until you know the whole truth,” he countered.

“Then tell me the whole truth.”

“It’s not that simple-“

“Only because you’re making it overly complicated, Yoongi, I know you,” you cut him off. You placed your hand over his and rubbed circles with your thumb.

“It really is… different this time,” he said.

“Just try?” you pleaded, “For me?”

“You’re literally the worst person; why would I ever do anything for you,” he grumbled.

“Come on, you just said you love me.”

“Fine,” he huffed, “I’m a werewolf, and not just any old were wolf either – the crown prince is my brother. I’m like ninety-eight percent sure that you’re my soulmate, and since you ran into me during the full moon, I was already struggling not to shift in the middle of the city, and when I saw you, it just kind of hit me that I needed to act on it. I’ve never accepted anyone before, so I didn’t realize it would hurt you.” 

“Accepted anyone? What does that mean?” you asked.

“When a werewolf finds his soulmate, he has to formally accept them by marking them – well, it’s not really marking but I can’t think of a better word. It’s when I kissed you last night. It left a scent mark that other werewolves can smell, but the soulmate thing works both ways, so if you don’t accept me it’ll fade over time,” he explained.

“Babe, you’re rambling,” you chuckled.

“And you’re under-reacting,” he replied.

You hummed as you turned over to face away from him. You drew his arms around your waist.

“If you love me, you’ll be the big spoon and let me sleep some more.” You yawned.

“What? Were you even listening just now?” he questioned incredulously.

“Of course. I heard every word. Just-“ You stopped to yawn again. “Just tell me again when I wake up and we’ll talk it over.”

“That was one of the most stressful moments of my life, and you’re asking me to do it again? You jerk.” Despite his harsh words, he held you a little tighter and kissed the top of your head.

“I try,” you mumbled.

 


Oh ho ho

I'm back on here, guys!

I graduated college, and now I have time to write some more!

I'll be updating my old stories as well as reuploading some and writing new ones, so subscribe, follow - whatever you want to do! I won't disappear this time; I promise!

For more stories like this and beyond, visit my profile here on AsianFanFics or my tumblr at Jaybean-Scenes.

Sincerely,

Your evil author,

Juliette