Airwaves - part 1

Neverland Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

Jeon Soyeon worked with what she loved. Even though only a few people recognized her work, being able to communicate with anyone through the radio waves was a dream that came true. 

 

She had a music show in the night shift in a small radio station. The show ran from midnight until four in the morning and played, in addition to titles selected by Soyeon, requests from listeners. The radio hostess also used to read poems and read emails from the listeners who wrote to her asking for help, opinions and sometimes even haters. She liked to act like she was there talking to a group of friends even though she was doing it professionally. And it was during one of these talks she read a comment that got her puzzled.

 

The woman started the email by saying she didn't want to be identified, so Soyeon announced she would be reading an anonymous comment.

 

"Hello, Soyeon, I listen to your show every single day and would just like to tell you have the prettiest voice I've ever heard. Please never stop doing this show, you're a good company to me while I'm getting up to go to work. Thanks, and take care!"

 

Soyeon got extremely flustered about the message, but managed to hide it behind her playful tone, thanking the kindness of the listener. The compliment really got her by surprise since she didn't selection them previously. She considered starting doing so or someday she would end up reading something she shouldn't on live.

 

Ending the show without bigger events, Soyeon left the building almost five in the morning and since she wasn't too tired she decided to have her breakfast in the cafe on the other side of the street. She sat on a stool near the balcony and waited for someone to take her order, smiling slightly when a young lady came from behind the back door, carrying a tray with several appetizing-looking muffins. The woman put the tray on the displayer and got up just to look at Soyeon again, a polite smile on her face. She was new there, Soyeon had never seen her before.

 

- Good morning.

 

The woman spoke and Soyeon got startled at how deep her voice was.

 

- Good morning, uh… I'd like an espresso and one of these muffins.

 

The woman looked at Soyeon and her shocked expression didn't go unnoticed. She murmured "in a minute" and disappeared through the back door and appeared again, seconds later with a cup e a saucer on her hands. Soyeon observed discreetly as the woman prepared her espresso. She had a round face and her eyes were somehow cute, but Soyeon felt like that she was more experienced than she looked like. She smiled internally, thinking how her deep voice didn't match her cute looks.

 

- Excuse me, but your voice is familiar… do you work on the radio?

 

The woman said suddenly and Soyeon got surprised at how expressive her eyes were, practically ignoring the coffee and the muffin that had been put in the balcony in front of her.

 

- Yes…

 

She answered, embarrassed for being recognized like that. She was a shy person and things were easier when she had a microphone in front of her.

 

- I'm sorry, I just love your show, I don't want to sound like a stupid fangirl or anything…

 

- It's okay, uhh...thanks for listening…

 

- Yuqi.

 

- Thank you, Yuqi.

 

Soyeon said, unable to continue the conversation, the other woman also looking too embarrassed to answer. They smiled at each other and proceeded with what they were doing. The woman organizing trays with cakes and cookies in the displayer and Shuhua eating her breakfast in silence, sometimes stealing glances on the other woman. When she finished, she put the money under the plate where the muffins were, getting ready to leave. She was putting her coat back when she heard Yuqi's deep voice again.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter