The one that got away

Colors

Soulmate au- everything you see is black and white, until you met your soulmate

PS: don't miss the foreword guys!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Oh my god, I think I just see colours! Did you guys see that? I’ve met my soulmate finally and it’s between one of you! Who is my soulmate?” Yuqi points her finger at the girls, looking back and forth between her new colleagues, Soyeon and Minnie. 

 

It’s just Yuqi’s first day at work and she already created a scene at this humble studio. Soyeon has decided to hire the Chinese girl from a friend’s recommendation. The studio has been receiving more projects than ever, with Minnie being the photographer and Soyeon running the company diligently. 

 

“Can you calm down for a sec? We have work to do here. Don’t make me regret my hiring decision.” Soyeon sighs, looking at the younger girl’s antics.

 

“Not until one of you admits that you are my soulmate! It is you, isn’t it?” Yuqi continues to question Soyeon, not letting this slide. The girl fails to notice Minnie’s annoyed expression hanging on her face, totally not amused at this newly hired intern. But Soyeon sees it all, she thinks she understands Minnie most of the time, but who knows she might be wrong. 

 

“You know what, we need to talk.” Soyeon drags Yuqi to one side, showing her unamused face while crossing her arms. With her cute height, she doesn't look intimidating at all. “You know, you gotta quit this and the model will arrive in less than an hour, we gotta set up the studio so Minnie can do her thing.”

 

“Ahh, so it was you. Hello, my dear soulmate. I’m so happy to meet you. I’ve been dying for this day to come since I was born. Girl, let me tell you, you looked amazing today! The hair, the make up, the outfit, don’t forget the body.” Soyeon shuts with her hands. She talks way too much.

 

“First of all, I am not your soulmate. Second, you don’t seem to quite understand what I say, don’t you? You are here to work, okay? Please don’t get into my nerves before the shooting begins. It is my first and final warning.” Soyeon said sternly. 

 

“Sorry, Soyeon. I just thought...never mind. If you are not my soulmate, then would that be Minnie?” Yuqi starts to wonder while looking at the Thai girl with thick eye makeup and bangs nearly covering her eyes. Never would she imagined her soulmate would be the totally opposite of her as Minnie is dressed in all black, quiet, cool and not to mention, her looks could kill. Yuqi is always bubbly, talkative and has many friends, a social butterfly after all. 

 

“I can assure you that your soulmate is not Minnie. She has found her soulmate years ago, and it's her fiance. So yeah, don’t even think of that.” Soyeon explains to the dejected girl. 

 

--------------------

 

“That’s all for today. Thank you for your hard work.” The team claps in unison, feeling glad that the shooting is finally over. Still contemplating over the incident earlier, Yuqi starts to pack up with the help of Minnie, carefully putting all the equipment back to its original place. The model approaches Minnie, but Minnie seems not to care about the pretty lady trying to get her attention. 

 

“Minnie-shi, was wondering if you are free tonight? Maybe we can do something together?” The model tries to flirt with the photographer by whispering seductively at her ear. Being the busy body as she is, Yuqi pretends to be busy at work but her ears are all in, trying to eavesdrop at their conversation. 

 

“Sorry Soojin-shi, I am very busy.” Yuqi’s eyes betray her surprised look. 

 

“Just in case you changed your mind. Call me.” Soojin slides a piece of paper into the Thai girl’s pocket and leaves with her manager. 

 

Strange day at work. Meeting strange people and one of them is my soulmate but doesn’t admit it.

 

Yuqi mumbles while Soyeon approaches her and informs her that she can go home after she is done with her work. Just as Yuqi is about to leave, she hears a tiny bark at the corner and finds a cute poodle staring back at her. 

 

“Oh hey little one! How long have you been here? Are you hungry? Let me get you something to eat.” Yuqi pets the dog lovingly before deciding to bring her home. 

 

--------------------

 

“I’m home!” Yuqi yodels at the corridor, placing the little poodle down carefully. 

 

“Yah, you don’t have to shout everytime. Oh my lord, where did you find this cute dog. He’s so so so so adorable and I shall love you forever.” Her housemate greets the dog more happily than she greets Yuqi. 

 

“I found him wandering around the studio, I don’t think he belongs to anyone at work. Not Soyeon, and not Minnie for sure.” Yuqi rests on the sofa, trying to reach for the TV remote control. 

 

“Oh ya, how was your first day of work? You met Soyeon right? I need to thank her for getting you a job. Let me just text her.” Still carrying the puppy in her arms, Shuhua heads to the kitchen to prepare dinner for them. 

 

“Ugh, don’t even talk about it. There’s this strange emo photographer who happens to share the same name with my favourite cartoon character Minnie and then there’s Jeon Soyeon, your friend who is my manager from now on. Great. And guess what, I met my soulmate today! Technically no, but I can see colours when I first enter the studio for the first time! Like after 20 years, I can see the light. So it has to be either Minnie or Soyeon but both of them did not admit at all! Is it that bad to become my soulmate? Jeez, are you even listening to me?” Yuqi realises Shuhua is feeding the dog and not paying attention to her rants at all. 

 

“Yes, I can hear you from here. You are so loud Song Yuqi, our neighbours may hear you. But what do you mean they don’t admit that they are your soulmate?” Shuhua asks while tying the apron around her waist. 

 

“Okay, so Soyeon said that I am not her soulmate because she still hasn’t met hers, which means she didn’t see the colours today. As for Minnie, I don’t think so it's her, plus Soyeon said that Minnie has a soulmate already. So, right now it is just me, myself and I. Perfect.” Yuqi walks into the kitchen and starts to search for something to eat. Her tummy was rumbling all day, she wonders if her colleagues can hear that. 

 

“As far as I know, Soyeon hasn’t mentioned anything about meeting her soulmate to me before. Maybe, it's not her. And I know nothing about the other girl you are talking about. So yeah. Can’t help you much on this one. You sure there’s no one else there, other than the three of you?” Shuhua ignites the gas and starts cooking their favourite meal, Malatang. 

 

“I don’t think so, unless there is a ghost up there. Psst, even I find myself funny. A ghost? Really? But, it doesn’t make any sense at all! See, I can differentiate colours now. My shirt is red, yours are blue.” Yuqi takes a bite on the cookies they have made over the weekend. 

 

“Roses are red, violets are blue. If I have a brick, I will throw it at you.” Shuhua jokes and earns a big slap on her shoulder. 

 

“Gosh, you are so strong. I hate you for that. It still hurts, oh my god. I can’t believe you slap me that hard, Song Yuqi.” Shuhua rubs her shoulder, still not over with the fact that her housemate just hit her real hard.

 

“You’ve earned it.” The girl sticks her tongue out, mocking her friend.   

 

“You know, sometimes I wish you were my soulmate. Although I know you’ve met Tzuyu already.”

 

--------------------

 

It has been a week since Yuqi started working in the company. She has gotten closer to her colleagues. Well, just Soyeon actually. 

 

“What’s your favourite color?” 

 

“Well, if you are trying to test if I can see colors, sorry ma’am, you know I can’t.” Soyeon replies patiently at every question that Yuqi throws at her. Yuqi sighs but she wouldn’t give up easily. 

 

“Can you please pass me the green file? Thanks.” Yuqi tries her luck again. But the girl passes the blue file over to her. “Ugh, Soyeon, I mean the other file there.” Yuqi is finally convinced. Or maybe the shorter girl can pretend.

 

--------------------

 

“How’s your date with Tzuyu today?” 

 

“It was great! Can’t wait to see her again this Friday.” Shuhua hums in excitement.

 

“What? But you promised to have dinner with me and Soyeon this Friday.” Yuqi groans at the girl, feeling unamused.

 

“Oh, guess I’ll just bring Tzuyu over then. Plus I can introduce Soyeon to Tzuyu. The more the merrier. You are really grumpy these days you know that. Is your period coming?” 

 

Being the violent one, Yuqi throws a pillow at the younger’s face, unhappy with her remarks. She feels jealous with Shuhua getting to spend time with her soulmate and she couldn’t. She can only dream of this day to come. She even has a list of places to visit together with her soulmate, places to eat and movies to watch. She couldn’t wait to introduce her soulmate to her parents and bring her to her hometown, Beijing. She thinks Shuhua doesn’t understand her. Yuqi sighs the nth time that day. 

 

“You know if you could focus your energy on your work and instead try to test if your colleagues can see colors, I’m sure Soyeon will praise you and not complain to me every time.”

 

“Wait, what? You guys talked about me behind my back?” The girl sounds very surprised. 

 

“Nah, I just asked her if you are doing okay. I cared for you much more than you thought, okay? I know you are happy that your world is no longer black and white but you still look gloomy everytime you know?” Yuqi knows the younger girl is right. Even though she is the elder one, sometimes she needs the younger girl to talk some sense into her. 

 

“Maybe, Mata is your soulmate? I mean you both have the same hair colour.” Shuhua laughs at her own remark. 

 

That night, Yuqi’s eyes are glued to her phone, googling “can dogs be your soulmate” on her search bar. 

 

--------------------

 

Yuqi has been looking forward to Friday to come, so she can finally spend time with Soyeon and her friends after work. She wants to get to know the girl better, outside of work and not as her manager. 

 

Minnie has been looking forward to Friday to come, so she can finally be away from work and spend time resting at home instead. She is not an outdoor person as she feels perfectly safe and sound at home. Her home sweet home. 

 

“Guess what’s for dinner today? I’m going to cook pad thai for us. I get to do some grocery shopping finally after a busy week at work. Soyeon has been getting so many new projects for us these days, which is a good thing since I get a better pay for that. And we can finally go to Disneyland after this! Aren’t you excited for our long overdue honeymoon?” Minnie smiles thinking about the fun times. 

 

--------------------

 

“Babe, can you pass me the salt?” Shuhua asks while stuffing with rice. 

 

Soyeon has the biggest facepalm when Tzuyu and Yuqi both reach for the salt. Trying to clear the awkwardness in the air, the girl decides to ask Shuhua on how she meets Tzuyu. 

 

Still having food in , Shuhua explains on their first encounter excitedly. Soyeon is unsure if she did the right thing because the girl just couldn’t stop talking. 

 

“You might choke if you talk with food in your mouth.” Yuqi bickers and pops another piece of fried popcorn chicken into . 

 

“Aww, Yuqi are you being a big baby now? Let mommy feed you.” Shuhua stuffs another piece of chicken into Yuqi’s already full mouth. Everyone at the table laughs at Yuqi’s hilarious face. 

 

“So, you never tell me about Minnie’s soulmate. What is her name? Is she pretty?” Yuqi tries to start a conversation with Soyeon, because the whole night is all just Shuhua and Soyeon reminiscing about the time they had in college. Sadly, Yuqi couldn’t jump into the conversation because she doesn’t attend the same college with them. 

 

“Ah, her name is Cho Miyeon and yes she is really pretty. Why did you ask?”

 

Because I am trying to talk to you, can’t you see?

 

“Nothing much, just curious.” Yuqi quickly made up an excuse. But curiosity kills the cat, and she continues to annoy Soyeon with the same topic. 

 

“Is Minnie always like that? Quiet and all. I feel like I don’t know about her so much. And we literally see each other almost five days a week.” 

 

“Hmm, how do I say this. She wasn’t like this before. She used to be very talkative like you. She’s very bubbly and she had that happy-go-lucky attitude. Like I said, just like you.” Soyeon answers carefully, not trying to invade her colleague’s privacy in front of another. 

 

“What happened then? What made her change?”

 

“I’m not sure if I should talk about this, Yuqi-ah. It is better for her to tell you herself. But really, I don’t think you should ask her this question. Unless you want to die. She has a black belt, just in case you don’t know.” Yuqi makes a mental note, just so her busybody wouldn’t betray her.

 

 

--------------------

Author's note: Who is Yuqi's soulmate? Who is it?