Dance With Me

Dance With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Close your eyes, I'll count to three, so try to find me (find me)

You might probably wander around here and there (hey)

We're going crazy, the naughty girl you've never seen before

(Let's go, let's go) Can you handle me?

 

Naughty naughty naughty

Oh eh ah oh

Naughty Naughty

 

"Oh unnie, Naughty is such a great song! It's such a funky and groovy song. It really makes you want to dance!"

 

The host chuckles from her co-host's b excitement. "I agree, songs these days are using elements from the past. It just goes to show music is timeless. If you like these kinds of vibes, I recommend checking out Irene and Seulgi's new album!"

 

"Hmm, do you think you can sing a bit from their album? I know you have such a wonderful voice. I know our audience would love it if you sang for us."

 

The brunette furrowed her brows and profusely shook her head at the redhead, declining the request. The younger girl nodded with wide eyes, gesturing her hands to proceed on with her off-script improvisations. The two silently argued with one another, but the older girl realized they were still on the air, and they hadn't said anything for a couple of minutes.

 

The host feigns a small cough, "Sorry about that. I'm afraid I can't sing today. I slept with the window open this morning, and my throat is a bit sore."

 

The younger girl rolls her eyes in response faking her concern, "Oh unnie, you should really watch for your health. Who else would host our radio shows?"

 

"You're right. I'll make sure to take a generous dose of vitamin C later today." After clearing , a clear angelic voice practically sang out through the mic to finish their show off. "Anyways, thank you for everyone that has listened in on this week's radio talk."

 

"Please look forward to next week's song recommendations on Blockberry Radio." The partnered buttery soft and airy voice added on to the previous.

 

"This is your host, Radio Mom, Jo Haseul."

 

"And co-host, DJ Aeongie, Kim Hyunjin."

 

In unison, the hosts ended the show. "We shall see you next time for Songs of the Month." 

 

As soon as the red light went dark in the studio, Haseul quickly removed her headset and let out a sigh of relief from their day's work. While Hyunjin glared at her knowingly, taking her time to remove her equipment as well.

 

"You know Haseul-unnie, you need to get over him at some point."

 

The brunette shrugged as if she didn't know what the younger host was talking about. "My throat does feel a bit sore today, Hyunjin." Both knew that statement was clearly a lie by Haseul's crystal clear voice from their two-hour-long radio show. 

 

Hyunjin gently placed her hand on Haseul's shoulder. "Unnie, it's been almost a year since you and Jihoon broke up."

 

"I know." The older girl sighed. "It's just that he influenced so many major events in my life. It's only natural he became a large portion of me as well."

 

"It's okay, Haseulie. You just need to find someone new that will interest you!" The ravenette stated with reassurance. "Maybe you will even find a girl you will like." Hyunjin wiggled her eyebrows.

 

The older girl scoffed at her co-host, thinking she was joking. "Ha-ha. Very funny." She replied with a flat tone. 

 

Hyunjin shrugged, "Don't knock it until you try it." As the younger girl started to leave the studio, she spun around to face her friend again. "And please start singing again. Heejin is annoying me by complaining how much she misses singing duets with you during open mic nights."

 

Haseul furrowed her brows. "She hasn't mentioned that to me before."

 

"Of course she hasn't. You know Heejin. She is too nice to say that to you, especially since you two live together." 

 

"I'll think about it, Hyun."

 

The taller co-host gave her a thumbs up and a wave goodbye before leaving.

 

Maybe Hyunjin is right. Haseul does miss singing. In fact, she loved singing and used to be her passion. It stemmed back to when she was a child, her mother was an opera singer, and Haseul would never fail to watch her performances. She was enamored and captivated by her mother's full and angelic voice that filled and echoed throughout the auditorium, just like the many that were given a chance to listen and watch. Her heart was captured by the emotions and power of her mother's singing. Haseul had dreamed of doing the same.

 

It was natural for Haseul to fall into her mother's footsteps. Her mom was her biggest inspiration and supporter. Little Haseul started taking lessons right away, along with learning how to play guitar from her father. To say music was Haseul's life was an undeniable truth. Through her years of living, she took as many opportunities as she could to sing. From joining her school's choir, singing in front of her peers during talent shows, and even joining theatre to sing for musicals. 

 

Haseul learned to fall in love with her voice, similar to how she loved her mom's voice. Of course, it was not in a conceited way. It was another way for Haseul to love herself, just as anyone should love themselves. It was one of the things the singer felt confident in and prided herself for. 

 

By the time the singer got into college, she didn't hesitate to dive deeper into her passion and decided to major in music theory and composition. As a singer, she wanted to challenge herself and evolve her ever-growing skills. Haseul has sung many songs and covers, but none were her own. If she wanted to develop more as a vocalist and musician, she needed to learn how to compose her own music to truly pursue her dream as a singer. 

 

Just like any new challenge, composing music was very difficult for the new college student. None of her music seemed to capture the hearts of many. At least that's what she thought. Something was missing, not enough emotion in the lyrics she wrote. Even her carefully built chord progressions never seemed to communicate the story she wanted to tell correctly. 

 

It wasn't until she met her ex, Jihoon, her tutor who taught almost everything Haseul knew today. Jihoon was aiming to be a music producer and lyricist but also excelled as a vocalist. He had already composed many songs from when he and his friends used to be in a band together. He further developed in his talents, spending hours and hours a day in his studio writing and assisting others in writing their own music. Eventually, he became recognized by the university's professors and hired him as a teaching assistant for a few classes.

 

If it wasn't for Jihoon, Haseul wasn't sure where she would be in her musical career—probably pulling her hair out while struggling to write her first set of songs. The more time the female singer spent with the rising producer, the more she felt they bonded and connected with one another. Naturally, their emotions for another blossomed, and their feelings began to grow for another, and Haseul quickly fell in love with Jihoon. Every word they sang, every note played from their instruments, every glance at each other was filled with their passion for music and for one another.

 

Unfortunately, their relationship ended one-sided, leaving Haseul lost and empty inside. It was like she was missing a piece of herself when Jihoon decided to end things, wanting to focus on his career. Haseul tried to understand him, though she did, his reasoning seemed selfish of him to let her go. The broken-hearted singer thought they were going to make it, that they were soulmates just like in the dramas she watched. 

 

Did she do something wrong? Was she not good enough for him? Did he think she would only slow him down? There must have been another reason for him to leave her behind in his life. She was willing to drop everything and go wherever he went as long as they could be together, but they were never meant to be. 

 

With her shattered love and hollow heart, singing left a salty taste in . Just like the countless tears, she shed when she thinks of him. Haseul felt like she lost both loves in her life, her lover, and now her passion, singing. Whenever she sang, it only reminded her of the many fond memories she shared with Jihoon. Spending hours in his personal studio, writing songs together, singing duets with him on stage at a local cafe, and all of their casual dates they shared as broke college students. Haseul was simple. She didn't need to go anywhere as long as she was with him. She was perfectly happy.

 

As the sun came to set and evening rolled in, Haseul made her way back to her apartment. She hung her keys and neatly arranged her shoes on a shared shoe rack, and let out an exasperated sigh from her long day. She slumped over her couch and made herself comfortable from one of the blankets that hung over the furniture piece. She snuggled into her comforter and turned the TV, aimlessly watching whatever caught her interest.

 

"AH!" Heejin yelped out in surprise to find her roommate home. "When did you get in?"

 

Haseul chuckled at the younger girl that had a near jump scare. "Just a few minutes ago." Heejin has always been bad at multitasking and tunnel visions in whatever task she is focused on. It was relatively normal for Heejin to either ignore you or scare herself, realizing she was no longer alone in the shared living space.

 

"Oh, I loved the song recommendations on this evening's radio show. Though I think it would have been nice if you sang again."

 

The older girl rolled her eyes, knowing Heejin was going to bring that up. "I will...eventually."

 

Heejin and Haseul have known each other for several years now. They first met during high school and now attend the same college and decided to be roommates. Heejin loved Haseul's voice just as much as Haseul did herself. Listening to the older girl sing brought admiration and awe to Heejin's eyes and inspired her to develop her own singing. The duo used to sing together for open mic-nights at a small cafe by their apartment every week but quickly came to an end once Haseul's relationship ended.

 

"Unnie." Heejin did her best to pout adorably, but Haseul was used to this trick after knowing Heejin for so long. When they first met in high school, the younger girl's puppy eyes always broke through Haseul's resolve and gave in to Heejin's desires. But now Haseul was wiser, and the puppy dog routine no longer had the same effect, at least most of the time.

 

Knowing her usual trick failed, Heejin suddenly had an idea to help Haseul get over her slump. "I know what you could do!"

 

The surge of sudden excitement caught Haseul off guard and even intrigued her in the idea of anything that could help her move on, though she wouldn't admit she needs assistance.

 

"How about trying something new? Whenever I am in a stump in something, it's always nice to change up the pace." Heejin suggested.

 

Heejin is an all-rounder, talented in singing, dancing, drawing, even a bit of acting. She could seemingly excel in practically anything in the realm of arts. Well, maybe not culinary arts. The poor girl can't even make microwaveable brownies properly. Let's just say the apartment needed a new microwave after that incident, forever banning Heejin from cooking ever again. 

 

The two roommates have known each other for years, and Heejin wasn't just a close friend, but maybe like a daughter as well. Haseul isn't sure how Heejin could ever live without her. The older girl would nag the younger, cook for both of them, and clean most of the apartment. Even Heejin's mother would make sure to call Haseul to check up on her daughter. Haseul chuckled at the thought. 

 

Anyways, back on topic, Haseul shook herself from her reverie and back to the present. Because of Heejin's broad range in exploring new hobbies and passions, Haseul was captivated to hear her friend's suggestion. "And what do you think I should try?"

 

The brunette revealed a smirk, "Dancing!"

 

Wait, did Haseul hear right? Dancing?

 

"You do realize, whenever you and Hyunjin drag me out to go clubbing with you, both of you make fun of my terrible dancing skills and even push me away because I end up stomping on your feet! I am practically born with two left feet!" Haseul was exasperated. To be frank, being under the influence of alcohol also didn't help her already stumbling non-rhythmic feet. 

 

"Well, now is your chance to get better! I know the perfect teacher for you!" The younger girl brimmed with excitement.

 

Haseul was still doubtful. "I appreciate the positive attitude, but I don't think there is anyone that can save my dancing."

 

Heejin shoved her older friend, "Stop being a Debbie downer and trust me! At least give it a shot." The girl made muster her best big-eyed, pouty puppy face. 

 

Haseul blankly stared at her friend, but her walls began to crack and crumble under the adorable gaze of Heejin. "Arghh. Fine. I will at least try it." She grumbled while Heejin fist pumped in the air. Again, the puppy face doesn't work on Haseul...most of the time.

 

"Great, so I will take you next time I have to go practice at the studio."

 

Haseul nodded her head, her attention back to the forgotten TV, and waved her roommate off.

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

"Unnieeee!"

 

"Haseul-unnieeee!"

 

The sleeping brunette was rudely shaken from her slumber. "Whaaaat." She whined.

 

"It's time to get ready!" Heejin exclaimed.

 

Haseul groaned into her pillow. "For what?! It's the weekend."

 

Heejin yanked at the older girl's covers, exposing her small body to the morning air, causing it to instantly curl up and shrink from the sudden loss of warmth. Haseul whined and groaned incomprehensible words, rejecting the idea of having to wake up.

 

"You said you would go with me!" said the younger girl.

 

Haseul whined out more, "Where?! I'm not leaving my bed!"

 

The taller girl prodded her sleepy friend's ticklish sides, repeatedly attacking until Haseul rolled off her bed and onto the floor, attempting to get away from Heejin's tickling fingers.

 

"Fine, you win! But you are buying me coffee!" The older girl was exasperated, followed by a mumble of grumbles as she sluggishly moved around the room to get ready. Haseul found the first oversized shirt and leggings she could find and threw it over herself, then quickly tied her long hair in a messy ponytail.

 

Heejin checked on her roommate and silently looked her up and down. "I think you may want to put a bit more effort into how you look."

 

The shorter girl rolled her eyes. "Why? It's like we are going to the gym. What difference does it make?"

 

"Hm, you never know. Maybe you will meet someone." Heejin puts up a knowing smirk, wiggling her eyebrows at her older friend.

 

"You're so weird." Haseul groaned out while pushing Heejin out of her room so they could leave. She figured she would attend this dance session, class, whatever, and never attend again once Heejin sees how bad she is. Maybe even the teacher will say she is a lost cause as well.

 

The two girls finally arrive at the dance studio, not without Heejin getting an earful of complaints and whining from how Haseul is too sleepy to function without her morning coffee. The younger brunette had to tune out all the objections and continue to drag Haseul across campus.

 

They arrived a few minutes late. Thankfully all they missed was warm-ups. Maybe Heejin won't get scolded by her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter