Soulmate

Soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“What’s a soulmate?”

“It’s like a best friend but more.”

Kim Chaewon’s family had just migrated from America. Everyone spoke a language she knew but never mastered. She was the odd one out in a bunch of whiny young 7 year olds. 

At school, she sat by the corner hoping that no one else would try to talk to her. The last time she tried speaking to someone her age at their church, she got ridiculed horribly. It was so traumatizing she vowed to just never talk to anyone.

It seems like today will be different than the last ones though because Kim Minju is here. Anyone who knew her would tell people that she’s the kindest soul. So pure and angelic. 

“Hi, my name is Kim Minju.”

Minju’s approach was so sudden. Chaewon abruptly stopped listening to her ipod and stared at the hand reached out towards her. She didn’t know what to do and people began staring. 

How could they not? Their idol is speaking with a mere stranger. 

In the end, Chaewon extended her hand and shook Minju’s.

“What’s your name?”

Minju’s eager voice rang in Chaewon’s ear. It wasn’t as loud as the squeals she’s used to hearing but there’s joy in it. It also sounded light and kind.

“K-Kim Chaewon…” she stuttered. 

Minju chuckled. 

Chaewon looked around and noticed the judging stares she’s been receiving. Minju is kind but not a lot of people make her laugh. It was so strange that a new student could easily do it.

“Kim Chaewon-ssi do you want to be friends?”

Chaewon began to stare again. gaped. She understood little Korean but she knew what the girl was trying to say. 

This random girl that everyone seems to like wants to be friends with her.

“No, scratch that.”

Chaewon expected that the girl would retract her words. No one would ask her to be their friend. She was too strange for them and no one understood her. 

She didn’t expect the next thing Minju said.

“Let’s be best friends.”

“It’s the one person in the world who knows you better than anyone else.”

Middle school came and both Minju and Chaewon agreed they would go to the same school. Well they had no choice, there was only one local middle school in their area anyway. 

“Chaewon can you wait here?” 

Chaewon nodded to Minju’s request and patiently waited for her outside.

School just finished and the convenience store was on their home. They would often visit it but Chaewon’s been saving money to buy something very important. Hence, she agreed to wait outside instead.

Minju came out after a little over 5 minutes.

“Did I make you wait?” 

Chaewon shook her head.

“It’s fine. What did you get though?”

Minju beamed as she raised the black plastic bag. Chaewon stared at it curiously. 

“You mentioned earlier that you wanted some ice cream.”

Minju took out the small ice cream tub from the plastic bag. 

“So here you go!” 

Chaewon stared at the familiar object that she’s been refraining herself from buying just so she could save more.

“B-but…” 

“Let’s go to your house so you can eat it!” 

Chaewon’s home was closer than Minju’s so the latter dragged her best friend. Chaewon was still a little bit dazed and only got her bearings back when they already sat down on the table. Minju was already handing her a spoon.

“H-how did you remember? I only mentioned it once.”

Minju grinned.

“You’re my best friend of course I would know everything about you. I keep track of what you say because they can come handy.”

Chaewon stared in awe. 

This person in front of her remembered what she said even if it didn’t carry a lot of weight. Minju knew her so well and even treated her knowing she’s been trying to save money.

Chaewon thinks this is the right time to give her present.

“Wait right here.”

Chaewon ran towards her bed room and took the neatly tucked box under her bed. Minju was waiting for her at the dining table with a lost expression when she returned.

“I was going to give you this next week for Christmas but I think it’ll be better if I give it to you now.”

Minju slowly ripped the wrapper from the box. She gasped after seeing the content it holds.

“I was planning to buy this for my birthday and you bought it!” 

Chaewon proudly nodded.

“This must have been expensive!”

Chaewon shrugged. 

“I saved a lot of my allowance for that.”

“Can you put it on me?”

Chaewon took the silver necklace and put it on Minju’s neck. She then reached out over to hers to show to Minju.

“I also have mine too.”

Chaewon then opened the small locket to show that there’s a letter engraved on it.

Minju opened hers too.

“M and C?”

“Minju and Chaewon.”

Minju stared at the two lockets with hearts in her eyes. This is the happiest she’s ever been. Well anytime she’s with Chaewon is the happiest moment in her life.

“That someone who makes you better.”

In high school, Minju still became the school’s most beloved. Every student knows her and loves spending time with her. Teachers adored her and made her class president even letting her run for the student council’s president. Which she obviously won.

However, Chaewon took a whole 180 degree turn. 

“Chaewon you know you have to study harder right?” Minju reminded her.

Chaewon shrugged. 

“I’ve been hearing complaints from our teachers. They say you might fail most of the classes and the chances of you passing your SAT are low.”

Chaewon shrugged again. She didn’t really care. She put her attention back on the book she’s reading. 

“You didn’t use to be like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter