TWO

ADRIFT
Please log in to read the full chapter

“No,” Matthew sternly said at the first sight of Sejeong in his office a few days ago. He didn’t have to hear her speak to know what she had in mind.

“What…” Sejeong scowled.

“You heard me,” Matthew leaned on his desk, arms crossed on his chest. His tone left no room to argue.

“But Marshal Kim… No, Matthew,” Sejeong steeled herself, “Of all people in this shatterdome, you’re the one who knows better how I feel about his return…”

“That’s exactly why,” Matthew unrelentlessy cut her, “I want you to stay away from this.”

“Ughh…” Sejeong raked her fingers between her hair and groaned in exasperation. “How long are you going to keep me tied as a tech officer, Matthew? You know I can do so much better than this mundane work. Irene would be very disappointed if I don’t at least try…”

“Don’t bring Irene into this conversation,” in a swift and trained motion, Matthew’s long fingers caught Sejeong’s neck and he pinned her to the wall, eyes stared hard and unnerving to the girl in front of him.

Sejeong glared daggers at him, she refused to show any signs of forfeit eventhough she could feel her windpipe was blocked.

“I’m going for the tryout whether you like it or not,” she gritted her teeth and pushed his body away with all her might. She coughed wildly and gasped for air when he let go of his grip. “… and I’m going to succeed…”

 

“Match over,” Marshal Kim announced, “One point for Kim Sejeong.”

Changkyun almost jump in excitement, knowing he was winning the bet. Jooheon cursed under his breath for losing a hundred bucks, but honestly he was just as impressed as anyone else by the result.

“That was…” Hoseok couldn’t believe what had just happened.

“… amazing,” Minhyuk continued his sentence, his mouth gaped in awe.

Kim Sejeong was beaten pretty bad for the first half of the match, but managed to turn the table by using her weight and pinned Hyunwoo’s neck to the ground. Not only that she made Sohn Hyunwoo sweat, she also managed to made him folded his sleeves. The small girl was indeed a force to be reckoned with.

“Three years got you good,” Hyunwoo straightened his dress pants and rearranged his sleeves.

“Three years got you slower,” Sejeong shrugged nonchalantly. A smug smirk managed to escape her lips when Hyunwoo glanced at her.

“You really want it that bad, huh?” Hyunwoo returned to Marshal Kim’s side after he finished putting on his jacket uniform

“What?”

“Getting inside my head.”

His words hit her close to home they got her speechless. She diverted her gaze to anything but him, her breathing got heavier from anger.

Marshal Kim silently observed her reaction. It was lesser known to public, but Matthew Kim was also Kim Sejeong’s half-brother though neither of them would admit it had someone asked them. He never saw her looked that bruised before.

“As I mentioned previously, all cadets that are able to score one point from Captain Sohn shall move on to the drift and officer Kim has proven herself worthy of the opportunity. But since the night curfew will begin shortly, I expect you all to return to your base and we’ll meet again tomorrow morning for drift simulation,” Marshal Kim dismissed them and turned to Sejeong.

“Officer Kim, a word with you,” he motioned her to follow him to his office and patted Hyunwoo’s shoulder on his way out, “Jaebum will show you your compound.”

They entered his office on the fifth floor and Matthew sighed as soon as he closed the door behind him.

“I will give you one last chance to withdraw,” Matthew Kim was a man of non sense and he wasn’t going to beat around the bush. “There’s no turning back once you’re drifting.”

“Don’t bother. I won’t,” Sejeong was determined, “You said it yourself. I’ve earned it.”

He considered her answer for a few seconds before making his mind. He nodded, “Very well. You choose your own poison. Just don’t come crying and crawling at me later.”

“When do I ever?” she scoffed sardonically and left without looking back.

 

Sejeong was sitting alone on the upper maintenance deck, legs folded to her chest and head rested on her knees when Kihyun found her later that night.

“Hey Kid,” he settled himself beside her and once he opened his tumbler, the smell of freshly made coffee wafted in the air, “Want some?”

Sejeong turned to him and gratefully accepted his offer.

“Thanks. What are you doing here this late?”

“I was about to return to my compound when I pass the hangar and saw the lights here were still on. I thought it must’ve been you.”

Sejeong slowly sipped the black liquid and hummed appreciatively. Kihyun made the best coffee in the dome. He even roasted and grounded the beans himself. He’s a scientist not for nothing.

Kihyun pressed his lips into a thin line, “Congrats for the tryout by the way. How come you don’t look too happy?”

Took her a while before replying to him, “I’m scared of what I’ll see when I drift with him tomorrow.”

She finally admitted it.

Please log in to read the full chapter