Re-encounter

First encounters

 

“I really hate him! This time I’m very sure of it! I really really hate him!” Gina complained while we were sitting at a café during lunch break.

“Doojoon again?” I asked, knowing very well where this conversation is going.

“Yes!” she said loudly while she banged her fists on the table. She just noticed that she was being too loud and she looked around to see if anyone had noticed. Lucky for her, there’s not so many people around.

She sipped her latte angrily, her eyebrows knitted together. I just smiled. She and Doojoon are always fighting but when they are not, I could vomit blood looking at how lovey dovey they are being.

“You know what, he couldn’t even spare me a little bit of his time for us to go out on our anniversary. All he cares about is his work, work, work! It’s like I’m not even his girlfriend!” She huffed.

“You should understand him better Gina. Maybe he does have a lot of work to do.”

“Easy for you to say Hyuna. You have the most ideal boyfriend ever. Spends time with you, buy you things, love you, care for you, cherish you and understands you. I bet you never experience any failed relationships before,” she said.

My smile slowly faded. I my lips, looking down on my plate of cheesecake. I braced myself to look up and get the courage to tell her about my previous relationship before I met Junhyung.

“I did actually.  I bet if I tell you, you wouldn’t want to fight with Doojoon anymore.” I chuckled.

“Really…” she said, not believing my words. “Try me.”

I smiled. “Before I met Junhyung, I was very happy with my previous boyfriend. Lovey dovey all the time, like you and Doojoon. But of course, we never fight. Not even once.”

Gina raised an eyebrow trying to say, ‘I told you so’.

“One night, we got into our first fight. Surprisingly its about something minor. I can’t remember what. I was at home and he was outside…”

My mind wandered to that night that I could never forget.

 

“You don’t understand me, Dongwoon! You never do!” I shouted on the phone. I didn’t care whether its at night or early in the morning. I was feeling extremely frustrated with Dongwoon and I don’t care who’s beauty sleep I disrupt.

“Fine! If you think I never made the effort to make this relationship work and understand you at all, maybe we should just break up!” he shouted back.

I was caught off guard by his words. I couldn’t believe he actually said that. This is our first fight and it causes a break up. What about other couples who always fight? Why can they still stand strong?

“Did you think twice when blurting that out Son Dongwoon? Huh?! Do you really hate me that much?” I shouted and tears were already streaming down my face.

“I don’t know. I can’t talk now Hyuna. I’m-“ his words were cut off by a really loud horn sound from what I assume a car or any other vehicle. My eyes widened. Suddenly the line was cut. All I hear were the beeping sound indicating that the call ended.

My heart beats faster and faster. What had happened?

I couldn’t stay still and kept on pacing back and forth waiting for at least a call. From anyone. My parents were sleeping. I don’t know how they could even manage to stay asleep with all the shouting. Maybe because my door was closed.

After about an hour, my phone rang. I answered it quickly, not even looking at the caller id.

“Hello? Dongwoon?” I said worriedly.

“Is this Miss Hyuna?” a man’s voice was heard. It’s not Dongwoon.

“Yes this is her.”

“Miss, we got your number from Mr Son’s handphone and you were the last person he contacted. He just met in accident and is now in the hospital. Could you let his family know and come as soon as possible.” My heart felt heavy and weak at the same time. I felt as if I could faint any moment. The news hit me as hard as how the accident had happened to Dongwoon. I gathered all the strength I had left to answer the man that has been calling my name over and over again.

 

I called Dongwoon’s family and made my way to the hospital by my car. As I reached the hospital, Dongwoon’s parents were already there. His mother was crying continuously and his father was pacing back and forth. I slowly walked towards them and upon hearing the footsteps, Mrs Son looked up.

“Hyuna!” she called my name and I hugged her as her stood up. She hugged me tightly while sobbing on my shoulder.

 

“I got to know that he survived but suffered from amnesia.” Gina gasped, covering . I smiled sadly, remembering the past.

“What happened after that?” she asked curiously.

“He couldn’t remember me or his family. All of us tried hard. It was frustrating for him, being around people that he doesn’t know. I came to his house every single day but he just couldn’t remember me. His family lives with him so it was quite easy for him to accept the fact that they were really his family.”

I took a sip of my coffee while Gina waited patiently for me to continue.

“My parents told me to leave him. Even if he could remember, all he will remember is our last fight. There’s no point of holding on, they say.”

I looked down on plate once again, not confident enough to say the next thing.

“So I left him. Just like that.”

As I looked up slowly, I saw Gina’s mouth dropped open. I scoffed.

“You must think I’m so bad as to just leave him like that right? I just had to Gina. No matter how hard I tried, he just couldn’t remember me. Or maybe he don’t even want to.” Gina reached out her hand to hold mine.

“You’re not bad. I know you Hyuna. You must have thought about it for quite some time before making that decision. So do you know how he is now?” She smiled.

I shook my head. “Its been five years Gina. I cut all ties with his family so that I can forget him.” She nodded.

I sighed and smile a little. “So.. if you’re having a fight with Doojoon, just remember that it might lead to something more serious. You’re lucky that you still have another day to apologise or for him to make up for something that he didn’t do.”

She just nodded, pouting to one side.

 

Author’s POV

As Hyuna was telling her story, a guy was just sitting opposite their cubicle, back facing the both of them. He couldn’t help but to listen to her story. He sympathize with her and wished that both of them is now leading a happy life even though they are just complete strangers to him. He was standing up, ready to leave the café when he bumped into her, who was going to the rest room. Her wallet fell and he picked it up.

“Oh I’m so sorry. I didn’t see you,” she apologized.

He stood up, holding her wallet and looked up at her.

“Its okay. I think this is yours?” he smiled, handing her the wallet. Her smile completely vanished, looking at the guy before her. was slightly ajar and she couldn’t even blink the moment she saw his face.

He raised his eyebrows. “Miss? Are you okay?” he asked politely.

“Son Dongwoon” her mind said.

 

As you can see, this is a different type of first encounter.
They already know each other but since he lost his memory,
its the 'FIRST' for him. :)