Amaranth

Amaranth

“Where would you think we’d end up in ten years?”

Hana looked up to see Jongdae smiled, “I don’t know, hopefully building a career and….” he stopped midsentence and then looked at her.

“And?” Hana furrowed her brows, waiting for him to finish his sentence.

“Family...?” he tilted his head and Hana laughed as she hit his arms, he playfully groaned in pain and the two of them just continued to laugh together.

----

“Oh God,”

Hana opens her eyes and realizes she’s been sleeping on her drawing table. She rubs her eyes and stretches for a bit, her phone alarm rings and she takes it to dismiss it.

It’s six in the morning and she needs to get up for work, Kang Hana is a designer who mostly only creates ball gowns and wedding dresses. She has a bridal shop called Cordelia in Myeongdong that she opens ever since she’s back in Korea. Hana got her undergraduate from Parsons and during those time also work for Kleinfeld to add more experience in the industry before coming back to Seoul to open her bridal shop. Dresses have been her main focus especially wedding dress, it feels good whenever she helps a bride to pick her wedding dress for their special day.

She goes to the shop and greets a couple of people who already comes, most of them are reopening the curtains and arranging the flowers. Cordelia is famous for a piece of dress called Amaranth displayed at the center of the shop, so everyone will see it the first time they stepped into the shop. The dress isn’t only famous for being beautiful but also because no one could take it off the display as Hana doesn’t allow anyone to try or buy it that even once a heiress bid for 100 million won (around 80.700 USD) but she declined the offer and decided to create sort of a duplicate of Amaranth for her. She strictly tells everyone that no one can take off the wedding dress from the display without her consent but she never tells them why.

“Good morning,”

Hana greets her friend, Eunseo, who just entered the shop. Eunseo is her friend since high school, they separated during her study in the States but then meet again after she comes back to Seoul. Eunseo decides to work with Hana (Hana doesn’t use work for because she thinks every one as her teammates in the shop). Hana is preparing for their morning briefing, checking everything in her notes whether she missed something or not.

“Here’s your latte,” Eunseo puts down a cup of iced latte in front of Hana who nodded while ticking some things off her list, “Oh, busy day, I see.” Eunseo looks at the tablet that Hana’s looking at while cross-checking it with her notes.

“Yeah, everyone will be getting married in six months or more. Let’s go,” Hana said and then goes to the briefing room with all of their consultants and tailors, literally everyone who works in Cordelia. They have a morning briefing to give them a little heads up on what will happen for the day.

“So, we almost have a hundred appointments today, all hands-on deck everyone. Good luck, things will be emotional or just drain your energy.”

Hana says to all the consultant for their morning briefing before fully opens the store at 9 in the morning, “Alterations department will have 15 brides coming in for their fitting, good luck on that. New accessories will come on 12, I’ll help you guys on that. New shoes from Badgley Mischka this afternoon and that’s all, good luck everyone.” Hana finishes reading her notes for everyone. With over 300 consultants and tailors in the store, Cordelia is the Seoul version of Kleinfeld in New York. Brides all over the country will book an appointment to find their dress.

Hana would be a consultant for several brides or simply covering the consultants during peak hours. Her designs cover almost 50% of the shop’s collection with the rest usually come from another designer or their exclusive designers who only work for Cordelia.

“So, words on the street the reunion will happen this July.”

Eunseo says while taking a seat right beside Hana in the latter’s office, Hana raises her brows while reading some slips and checks she needs to approve.

“Oh, come on, I have enough reunions. Literally, the only time we ever see them is either in the reunion or when they come in searching for a dress, drops a bomb that they’ll get married and chances are we’ll be invited only because they just remembered where they bought their dress from. Most of them only talk to me for a favor, I have enough favor ever since SFW last year.”

Hana rolls her eyes and Eunseo can’t help but laugh after hearing her response, “Yeah, we’re not close, barely know each other, didn’t stay in touch through SNS but suddenly we are their close friends every time they come here.” she adds and Hana laughs while tying her blonde hair to become more comfortable reading everything.

The glass door is knocked and both of them turn their head towards Hyewon, one of their receptionists, who tucks her head while slightly opening the door, “Hey, there’s someone out there saying that she knows you guys….? Should I send them to another consultant or something?” Hyewon asks and the two laughs.

“No, it’s okay. We’ll come out soon, thank you.” Hana shakes her head and Hyewon nods before leaving them, “Told ya,” Hana says towards Eunseo who just laughs as she stands up to follow her outside.

“Oh, hey guys. I need some insight into the Essence of Australia’s new collection display, are you busy?” a senior consultant asks them, “Go, I’ll handle our close friend.” Hana says to Eunseo and the latter nods. “Better make a real Instagram close friends soon,” Eunseo jokes and Hana laughs while untying her hair and readjust her blouse to look more formal and present.

Hana reaches the front receptionist and looks at Hyewon who nods towards a group of entourages on the waiting sofa, “Hello, I’m Kang Hana. May I help you?” Hana politely asks them and a girl with long brown hair turns toward her and smiles.

“Hi, I’m Jung Hyejoo. I’m sorry but my fiancée told me to mention you as a friend of mine because you’ll directly meet us if I do. I’m so sorry,” the woman apologizes but Hana just smiles, “That’s okay, I’ll be glad to help but I’m sorry, where do we know each other?” Hana asks again.

“Oh, it’s not me who know you but my fiancée. Kim Jongdae, you remember? You guys used to be high school friends,”

Cold sweats run through Hana’s back but she can’t show any disappointment or change in her expression, so she simply laughs a little.

“Ah, of course I remember. We used to be classmates for two years, congratulations anyway. You’re really lucky,” Hana shakes hand with Hyejoo and the bride-to-be smiles at her.

“I bring my mom, my sisters, my soon-to-be sister-in-law as in Jongdae brother’s wife, and these three are my bridesmaids. I’m sorry, do I bring too many people? Jongdae’s mother was supposed to be here but she couldn’t make it because of her schedule though,” Hyejoo introduces everyone that she brings and Hana shakes hand with them one by one.

“That’s okay, we have plenty of room, there are brides who bring her whole family. In literal meaning, the whole package up to twenty people, so don’t worry.” Hana assures her and they all laugh together, “I’m a fan of your dresses and didn’t expect Jongdae used to be in the same school as you.” Hyejo admits and Hana smiles.

This Hyejoo is really cute, she could imagine her being with Jongdae.

“Anyway, can I ask you a few questions. Probably like, when is the wedding, where would it be, and probably what kind of style you’re interested in.” Hana asks while taking a tablet that every consultants used, “Okay, so the wedding will be in April next year, we actually planned it to be this December but that would be close with my due date and I want to be able to fit into my wedding dress.” Hyejoo explains and Hana stop typing.

“Oh my God, congratulations!” Hana congrats her and the whole entourage smiles, “Thank you, and the wedding probably will be at Jeju Island. That was the first place he took me for a night away and I’m interested in a ball gown but not too puffy, long trains, off the shoulder…. It doesn’t have to be white, I’m okay with broken white or champagne but nothing too pop. I would say close like Amaranth,” Hyejoo points at the dress on the center of the store.

Hana looks at the dress and takes a deep breath and then smiles as she turns her head back to the whole entourage.

“Right, I’ll find something like that for you. So, please follow me.” Hana escorts them to one of the sofas for the entourage, “You can go to that room and change into the robe while I look for you dresses,” Hana smiles and they all thank her.

Hana goes to the stock room, trying to find the dresses that match Hyejoo’s description. It’s not the first time that she needs to find something close to Amaranth, a lot of bride would come in asking for a dress like that or even asking for a custom made especially close to that dress. It happens almost every day in the shop, kind of tiring but Hana wouldn’t let that dress go.

She brings five dresses for Hyejoo and the bride tries them, looking at the mirror but nothing could make her emotional. Another batch of dresses and none of them are the one.

Hana sighs as she stands in front of the receptionist desk while looking at Amaranth. She closes her eyes before turning to Hyewon who’s typing something into the computer, “Hey, can you get Jaewook or anyone here? I need them to move something,” Hana asks Hyewon who raises her head from the computer.

“Yeah, sure. Which display do you need to move or take off?” Hyewon puts down her pen and walks out of the counter, “Amaranth,” Hana answers and Hyewon widens her eyes.

“WHAT?”

“Sshhhhh, just ask them to take it off and bring it to room 12.” Hana pleads and Hyewon looks at her worriedly before talking through her earpiece.

“Hey, Jaewook and Doyoung? You guys there? Yeah, I need you guys to move something.” Hyewon says to her earpiece and watches Hana walks away.

Hana walks back to where Hyejoo is waiting, the bride looks at her and furrows her brows, “So, no more dresses?” she asks but Hana shakes her head while smiling. “I have something better than those dresses,” Hana says and a knock was heard on the door, “Here you go, boss.” two tall males come in with Amaranth and Hana let them to put it on the hanger. “Thank you,” Hana says before letting them leave and close the door.

“Oh my God, is this…” Hana nods at the bride who looks at Amaranth closely, “I’ll help you to put that on,” Hana says and Hyejoo eagerly nods.

When Hyejoo steps out of her dressing room, everyone looks at her and some even gasp at the beautiful sight. Her whole entourage are in shock and her mother is in tears already, “Hey guys,” she says to them. When she stood on the platform and look at the mirror to look at herself, Hyejoo couldn’t help but also tears up.

“This is Amaranth, right?”

Hana nods at the question and almost every bride nearby instantly look at Hyejoo and her whole entourage.

“This is so beautiful, you’re amazing.” Hyejoo looks at Hana who smiles at her, “But this is not for sale, right?” she asks again and Hana looks at Hyejoo wearing the dress. She takes a deep breath before shaking her head.

“You can take it, I think Jongdae would be really happy if you use that.”

The whole entourage shrieks and Hyejoo can’t help but cries at the answer, “I’ll measure you up and get your size details.” Hana says before approaching her and clips on places that still too loose on Hyejoo.

After talking about the price, accessories, and everything, the whole entourage finally leave with Hyejoo. “Just remember to come here a month or three weeks before the wedding, we’ll have the final fitting.” Hana says as she escorts them to the front door.

“Thank you so much, this means a lot for me.” Hyejoo hugs her and Hana just smiles, “I’ll give you the invitation by hand or probably alongside Jongdae too. Thank you so much,” Hana nods and then they all bid goodbye. She goes to the receptionist counter and types something into the computer so the system will get Hyejoo’s size and the altercation department will process her dress.

“What was that?”

Hyewon folds her arms while looking at Hana who still typing, “What was what?” Eunseo comes in while fanning herself. She leans on the counter and turns around before shrieking, “WHERE IS THE DRESS?!” she looks at Hyewon and Hana who don’t say anything.

“That is what I’m talking about,” Hyewon nods at the bare mannequin in the center of the shop, “Who? Who manages to take it from you? What happened? I was at the back of the store and someone steal it?” Eunseo bombards Hana with questions. The designer looks up from the computer and shrugs, “Well, I just found out I’ll never get married after all, so why not just sell it?” Hana shrugs as if it’s something normal for her to say, Hyewon and Eunseo look at her.

“WHAT?”

Hana fix some papers and put down her pen as she already finishes typing everything, “Who is the bride?” Eunseo asks Hyewon.

“Some girl? Well, I heard she doesn’t know you but her fiancée did, why do you sell it to her?” Hyewon asks Hana who just smiles, “Who is the fiancée?” Eunseo asks again. “Wait…. Kim Jongdae? Kim Jungdae?” Hyewon tries to remember the conversation that she hears before.

Eunseo thinks about of for a while before gasp, “OOOOOH!” Hana tries to silent her friend who is pointing at her with judging face.

“What? What is it? Wait, is this the Kim Jongdae that author?” Hyewon realizes something and Hana nods while letting Eunseo to talk again.

“Yeah,” Hana nods and Hyewon suddenly frowns, “THAT is his fiancée? And you guys were his schoolmates?” Hyewon asks again and this time Eunseo nods.

“He also happens to be her boyfriend,” Eunseo nods at Hana’s direction but the latter just laughs while looking for something in their catalogue book.

“What? You dated him?” Hyewon asks again, still shock with all the information she’s getting, “Yeah, my first and last boyfriend apparently.” Hana casually says and finds something.

“Woahh...” Hyewon widens her eyes and Hana gives her a piece of photo, “Now, go find this dress and ask someone to put it there.” Hana points at the mannequin that used to be Amaranth’s. “Oh, I love Emerald. Okay,” Hyewon looks at the dress name on the photo and goes to look for it.

Hana looks at Eunseo who furrows her brows at her, “Why?” she asks Hana again. “You know I made that when I was in high school, I promised myself that I would get married to him in that dress but now that’s not happening so might as well as sell it. I don’t see myself getting married to anyone after all,” Hana shrugs as she puts back the catalogue to the drawers underneath the counter. “You haven’t talk to him? It’s been 10 years since you came back to Seoul which mean you had eight reunions before. There’s no way they were together that long, you should have told him your feelings.” Eunseo says again but Hana shakes her head.

“The only conversation we had during past reunions are how are you and what are you doing now. I don’t know how to tell him, pathetic, right?” Hana laughs at herself.

“Oh, honey. You do know there’s a divorce, right?”

Eunseo sarcastically asks her but Hana laughs at her, “Nah it won’t happen to him, he is a really good man who stays loyal to people. There’s no way in a million years that he’d end up in a divorce. Besides, they’re having a child together.” Hana denies her friend’s thought.

“What? She’s pregnant? When? How?” Eunseo asks again, still confused with everything that’s happening.

“She’s two months pregnant now, that’s why the wedding is on April next year.” Hana explains and Eunseo nods along while thinking about it, “But you’ll find someone. I’m sure, who doesn’t want to be with you, the designer? Come on,” Eunseo tries to make Hana realizes she did something wrong.

“I’m fine, I’ll just need to come up with a better design this time.” Hana shrugs while smiling at her, “Besides, no one back in high school really likes me. They called me a trust fund kid, for God’s sake.” Hana recounts her high school year and Eunseo rolls her eyes.

“Although I can’t deny that,” Hana adds again, “Seriously, you’ll find someone. Don’t lose hope,” Eunseo pats her hand and Hana just smiles.

“Hey, ready for lunch?”

A guy approaches them and Eunseo rolls her eyes, “Could you be coming in at a more wrong time?” she turns to the guy who backs off a little. Eunseo then leaves, taking her bag from her work room.

“Hey, Jinyoung.” Hana laughs as she greets Eunseo’s boyfriend, “Hey, the dress here is missing. Where is it? Dry cleaning?” Jinyoung points at the bare mannequin.

“Nah, someone bought it.” Hana casually answers him and he frowns, “Someone managed to buy it? How?’ Jinyoung asks again and this time more serious than before.

“By breaking hearts and tears, let’s go.” Eunseo comes out with her bag and answers the question before Hana does, “You want anything?” Eunseo asks her and she shakes her head. “I’ll help with the new shoes coming in, see you.” Hana says and the couple bid their goodbye.

Hana walks to her room and closes the door, she never feels this uneasy since her breakup with Jongdae years ago. Their break up was a mutual agreement, long distance relationship didn’t work on them. What’s the point of a relationship when none of them try hard enough to keep the ship afloat? She massages her temple while taking her sketchbook, trying to find more inspiration and imagination to replace the dress.

While skimming her sketches, the door is knocked and Jaewook comes in while holding the door. “Hey boss, the shoes are here.” he says and Hana nods as she stands up and help to look at the new shoes coming in to the store.

-----

Hana tidies up her sketchbooks and walks to her kitchen to makes a cup of coffee for herself, she stays up all night to come up with new main dress but nothing really comes to her mind. Anything that she draws will always resemble Amaranth somehow, she doesn’t want to make a dupe but something else, better than that.

“Oh ,” she runs out of coffee beans and have to wait until she gets to go to the café as it is still six in the morning. So, she walks back to her bedroom and sits on her bed, trying to recollects her mind and concentrates.

Hana is still recovering from the bomb that was dropped yesterday. It’s no one fault though, if there’s anyone to blame then it would be her. For being too coward to say something to Jongdae before it’s too late and she doesn’t have any plan to ruin that guy’s perfect plan. He has a fiancée and they’re having a baby soon, she has to forget him.

Eunseo told her to take a break from work to clear her mind but she knows, strolling around the city or keeping herself at home would make it worse. So, she needs to go to work and busying herself, finding more inspiration to replace Amaranth. Although it doesn’t help with the news of a bride getting Amaranth all over the internet and social media. Somehow everyone really wants to know how she let It go after 10 years keeping it as a display only dress.

“How can I top that?”

Hana says toherself and then chuckles at her own thought. She remembers clearly when she showed that to Jongdae during a lunch at the school’s cafeteria.

-----

“What is it? Why do you get so excited?”

Jongdae laughed as Hana told him to quickly take a seat before he got to take his lunch, “I spent two weeks redrawing and coloring this, please tell me honestly what do you think about this, okay?” she asked and he nodded to her favor.

She exhaled and then opened her folder to take out a piece of paper. Hana gave it to him and he looked at the drawing of a broken white wedding dress with detailed pattern on it.

“Wow, this is beautiful.”

Jongdae muttered as he observed it, “What kind of dress is it this time?” he asked her and she smiled. “A wedding dress,” she answered and he chuckled at her response.

“You’d look great in this dress, I bet.” Jongdae said again as he gave it back to her, she smiled while looking at her own design.

“Well, I kind of get the inspiration from myself.” she raised her eyebrows and he laughed, “Seriously? With whom?” he furrowed his brows at her.

“Some random guy….” she and he just nodded it off, “Of course you, who else?” she laughed looking at his response.

“Well, then you should keep it for the future.”

-----

Hana knows she shouldn’t hold on to that silly conversation of theirs back in high school, she’s a grown up now. She needs to be more realistic, move on, find something else, someone else, do something.

“That would be easier said than done,” she says to herself while getting ready to leave the house with her car. In a couple minutes, she parks to a nearby Starbucks that she’ll go to whenever she’s out of coffee beans.

“Good morning, what would you like to have for today?” the barista asks as she scans the menu, thinking of trying something else. She shrugs off that thought and orders her usual,

“A venti caramel macchiato with two extra shot, a blueberry cheesecake, and smoked beef panini to go, please. Thank you,” she gives the barista her card to pay and the transaction is processed quickly.

“Please wait, we’ll get your order right away.” the barista gives back her card and she nod as she moves to the side. She is busy checking her email inbox and several messages from her tailors about several designs when someone taps her in the shoulder.

“Excuse me, I think you dropped this.” that person says and Hana turns around to see what she drops, “Oh, thank you. You’re a life saver,” Hana thanks him as she takes her card from him.

“Wait, Kang Hana? Is that you?” Hana looks back to the person who gives her card and then tilts her head, “Umm, yeahh? I’m sorry I’m terrible at remembering faces,” she apologizes but the guy laughs.

“I’m Kim Junmyeon, well the others used to call me Suho back in high school. Remember?” he asks her to refresh her memory, “Oh gosh, student body president Kim Junmyeon?” she points at him who just laughs. “Guilty,” he raises his hand and Hana laughs, “How are you? I heard you work for SpaceX, what are you doing here?” she asks him as she puts her wallet bag into her bag.

“I worked for SpaceX, past tense. I just got a love call from the Korea Aerospace Research Institute and an opportunity to get a PhD from KAIST. All geeky stuff,” Junmyeon shakes his head but Hana just smiles, “No, not at all. Being passionate on something is cool, like how I used to be scolded from drawing designs during all classes. Well, some of those teachers actually came to my bridal shop for a wedding dress either for them or their daughter.” Hana shrugs and he agrees with her.

“Orders for Kang Hana,” a barista calls her name as her orders are ready, “Hey, do you mind if we go out for lunch sometimes?” Junmyeon asks and Hana nods. “Sure, I would love to. Let me get your number,” Hana gives him her phone, he types out his number and saves it on her phone. “Talk with you soon?” Hana nods and they bid goodbye.

-----

Eunseo looks at Hana who’s concentrating with her drawings, she looks at the venti sized coffee with two boxes of foods right beside her.

“Are you out of coffee or did you finish all of your coffee?” Eunseo folds her arms while giving Hana a reprimanding look, “It was gone when I need it this morning so might as well give me some treats,” Hana sips on her coffee.

“Yeah, right. What are you drawing? I thought your new collection all locked up downstairs,” Eunseo takes a seat as she observes all the sketches on the desk, “I’m trying to replace the dress, honey.” Hana says while massaging her scalp. Eunseo looks at the sketches, observing it one by one, “Wow, are you going to release them all?” she asks and Hana shakes her head.

“I don’t think any of them are that good yet,” Hana says while tidying up some papers to clear out some spaces on her desk, Eunseo smiles gently at her.

“Take it slow, it’s okay. You don’t have to rush things, besides Emerald is a pretty hot dress too. A lot of people been asking for it,” Eunseo refers to the dress that they put as a replacement in the center of the shop. Hana smiles, “Thank you, but seriously I need to come up with a better design.” Hana leans back to her chair.

Eunseo just chuckles as she looks through the sketches, as the retail manager of the shop she knows Hana’s style and which style that the customers love the most.

“Oh, I met Kim Junmyeon in Starbucks this morning.” Hana remembers her encounter with the man as she sips on her drink, “What? Who?” Eunseo looks up from the sketches. “You know, student body president Suho?” Hana adds and her friend is trying to remember who it is.

“OH! The science guy,” Eunseo snaps her finger after remembering who it is, Hana nods while taking a bite of her cake.

“He is hot. Like, I mean, he’s hot back then too but now. Wow, hold me dear.” Hana says and Eunseo laughs at her description of the guy, “Wow, isn’t he like work for SpaceX or NASA? He is that genius, I just realized.” Eunseo leans back to her seat while thinking about Junmyeon.

“Yeah, I think that’s why rarely see him during reunions. Apparently, he went back home after getting a job offer from our country’s aerospace research and a PhD program in KAIST. He’s done some pretty cool stuffs, God, what am I doing all my life?” Hana wonders while scrunching her face at the thought, “You, my friend. You helped over a hundred thousand brides every year to get married in their dream dress, that’s an important job.” Eunseo points at her.

“We, honey. That’s we,” the two of them just laugh together, “Anyway, he asked me for a lunch out soon. He got my number,” Hana tells Eunseo again. “Now, I know maybe it’s too soon. I just want you to take things slowly and don’t rush, don’t make anyone as an escape but PLEASE for the love of God. Accept his lunch out request and try to relive the feeling of having a lunch out with someone else other than us or Jinyoung.” Eunseo holds Hana’s hand.

Hana looks at her and smiles, “Fine, I’ll do it.” she chuckles and Eunseo laughs in victory. “Hey, you really don’t want to take that offer?” Eunseo looks at the black map in the cabinet. Hana looks back and then shakes her head, “Nah, I’m happy here. Besides, I’m not interested in teaching. I can’t even teach you French properly because patient is clearly not in my blood.” Hana shrugs her shoulders. Eunseo just laughs as she takes a bite from Hana’s panini, Hana is replying some emails when Hyewon knocks on the door.

“Hey, Hana, someone’s looking for you.” she says and Hana raises her brows in confusion. “Come on, you should come and talk to him.” Hyewon says before leaving them with questions, “Him? Who’s looking for you?” Eunseo wonders but Hana just shrugs. “You can eat the panini, don’t touch the cheesecake.” Hana warns Eunseo who happily enjoy the food.

Hana walks to the receptionist area while greeting some people along the way, the appointment room is really busy. She walks to the receptionist and asks Hyewon on the mysterious guest.

“Wow, he’s really handsome.” Hyewon points at a guy sitting on the sofa with back facing them, Hana chuckles at Hyewon’s useless description. She walks to the gentleman and greets him, “Hi, I’m Kang Hana, what can—” she stops talking when she sees who the guy really is.

“Hi, Hana.” Jongdae greets her and her smile fades away a little but tries her best to keep her expression. “Jongdae, long time no see.” she greets him back. Hana sits in front of him and tries to compose herself, “How have you been?” he asks her and she smiles. “Same old, still here. How about you? Besides travelling for book signing events, how are you?” Hana asks back and he laughs.

“I’m fine, do know why I’m here?” Jongdae asks her again and she just nods, “Congratulations on your wedding, she’s really beautiful and lucky.” Hana answers his questions. “I heard you gave her Julliet,” Jongdae says while looking at the center piece where his soon-to-be bride’s dress used to be stored in. Hana shouldn’t be too shocked hearing it but now that she really hearing it from his mouth, she doesn’t know what to say.

“Yes, and it’s called amaranth.” Hana nods, “Amaranth, after my first poem?” Jongdae widens his eyes at her revelations. Hana nods before staring at the floor, she can’t look at him in the eyes. She can’t bear it, to see the person she ever loved the most who’s going to marry someone else.

The silence surrounds them and Hana swears Hyewon could sense the awkwardness around them from the receptionist desk. “I’m so sorry that we didn’t work out, I’m sorry for everything.” Jongdae speaks after minutes of silence, Hana inhales a long breath before looking at him. “It’s no one’s fault, we know we can’t go on even if we tried again back then. I’m so sorry I can’t keep our promise,” Hana says and Jongdae looks down.

“I’m the one who should be saying that, I’m so sorry.” he says, Hana knows he’s about to say more so she waits for him to continue.

“Hyejoo told me she’s going to shop for the dress, so I told her that you’re the owner of Cordelia. When she told me that you sold that dress, I knew I should have come to see you first. I’m so sorry,” Jongdae looks at her with sincerity, something that Hana misses from him.

“You don’t have to be sorry, I’m simply try to keep what we promised. But I’m sorry I can’t keep my part,” Hana shakes her head and Jongdae looks at her as if he’s trying to understand what she means.

“Our high school graduation promise?”

Hana nods, “We promised that we’ll get married with me wearing that dress, you’ll get married to someone with the dress. But I can’t keep my promise to get married with you, I’m sorry.” She smiles. Trying her best to look okay, it’s been years since she ever talked about it to anyone.

“I’m here to thank you for everything, thank you for telling me how to love myself before loving anyone else. You’re the one who teach me self-love, appreciate me for every single thing that I wrote, for supporting me through thick and thin. You inspire me to do more and grow, all thanks to you. Trust me that you’ll find someone else, someone out there who will be worthy. Someone who has more to offer to you, more than I do. Thank you for treating Hyejoo as a friend though you never meet her, thank you. You’re my first love, you know that?”

Jongdae smiles at Hana, she can’t say anything because she didn’t expect him to say all of those things. She looks at him and tries to search for words.

“You’re also my first love, I think we have the best first love story out of everyone.” she says and he laughs at her statements. “Thank you for make me believe that I can do pretty much anything that I want, you got me here.” Hana says to him, they smile at each other. “I was nervous when my mother-in-law texted me and said they were in Cordelia because I told Hyejoo about us,” Jongdae says again and Hana widens her eyes, “Really? She didn’t mention that, just said that you told her we were friends back in high school.” Hana remembers correctly what Hyejoo said to her when they met the first time.

Jongdae’s corner lips raise a little and Hana knows he’s amused by the fact that his fiancée said nothing even though she knows about their history.

“She’s a keeper,” Hana says and Jongdae nods with a smile, “Congratulations for the child, you must be really happy.” she says again and the guy’s smile widens. “Yeah, we found out two weeks ago after I proposed her. It’s really a blessing, you know?” he tells her and she could feel that he’s really happy like over the cloud. “But you haven’t posted anything on social media either the wedding or the baby, what happen?” Hana asks him because Jongdae haven’t posted anything about any of this news so she is shocked when Hyejoo told her about the pregnancy and the wedding.

“Yeah, my publisher and agents told me to wait for a while until at least she reached her fifth month.” Hana nods at the explanation, “You must be busy, I’m so sorry for keeping you in here.” he apologizes but she shakes her head. “Nah, I was just talking with Eunseo in my office. Thank you for coming down and saying those words, it really means a lot,” she thanks him and he flashes out his signature smile.

“Hyejoo wants to come and give you the invitation by herself, she was crazy about your dress and everything. Is that okay with you?” he asks her again, “Of course, I would love to see her again.” Hana nods eagerly. Jongdae offer her his hand, “So, friends?” Hana looks at his hand before they shake hands and she nods.

“Of course, friends.”

They spend another ten minutes to just talk and he excused himself, “So we can text each other again like normal people?’ Hana laughs at his question and then nods her head. “Take care of Hyejoo, you should be taking a good care of her if you want a daughter.” They both laugh and then briefly hug before he bids goodbye and Hana smiles as she watched him walks away from the store.

For Hana, this is the ending that they should have years ago. They may still have feelings for each other but it’s not the same feelings they used to have. She tries to let go and move on but she still hasn’t got the closure she needs in their relationship to return their friendship back. Today is the day they finally get to say things because they broke up over a phone call years ago. They’ve said their pieces of mind, it’s time to let go.

“If I knew he’d be here, I should bring all of his novels that I have for his sign.”

Hyewon says as Hana walks to the reception desk, “You never went to his book signing before?” Hana asks her while looking for her appointments for the day. Hyewon shakes her head, “Could you get me to one? I mean, I always missed the date or the number of the people are limited.” Hana chuckles at the request. “I could get you one, I’ll match your shift with it.” Hyewon cheers and earns a weird look from Eunseo who just comes out from the back office.

“So, who’s here?” Eunseo asks while looking at her appointments too, “Jongdae,” Hana simply ansers as if it’s normal. Eunseo stops reading and then looks at her best friend, “What?” she furrows her brows and Hana just laughs. “We’re okay now, besides there’s nothing I can do because they’re having a beautiful family soon.” Hana says in a-matter-of-fact tone, “You’re not wrong, but promise me you’ll try not to be a nun. Go out, have fun, go on dates.” Eunseo points her ballpoint at the designer who nods at her words.

Hana is about to say something else when her phone buzzes, a text came in. She looks at the text and then smiles.

‘Hi, this is Junmyeon. If you forget, we met at Starbucks this morning😊 Do you mind if we go out for a lunch tomorrow? It’s been a while since I met a high school friend, text me back when you can. Thank you!’

Junmyeon is always so polite and considerate, back in high school he was a popular nerd. Not a nerd that people would mock or bully but the kind of nerd that you’d want to befriend with because he is that friendly and a pretty cool student body president. She wasn’t a part of the student council but always managed to be in the design team during a project for the decoration or simply just set the costume for each person.

Hana smiles and then replies him back, “I’ll try,” she says to Eunseo and Hyewon before taking a tablet to her office.

-----

Eunseo bids goodbye to a couple consultants before heading to Hana’s office, the owner is working something on her sketchbook.

“You’re not going home?” she asks as she takes a seat in a chair right in front of Hana, the latter shakes her head. “Not yet, I’ll finish these two first before heading home.” Hana replies while still adding some details to her sketches, her friend looks at the drawing and gasps.

“Wow, you’re releasing a whole new collection or something?’ Eunseo asks but Hana just laughs at the question, “Nah, I drew several designs that pops out of my head. Still deciding which one should I release to replace Amaranth,” Hana says and Eunseo nods along.

“But all of them are great,” Eunseo says while looking at the sketches spread on the table, Hana just smiles because she knows her friend loves her design. “So, that was a proper ending you expected?” Eunseo asks while scrolling her social media, Hana glances up and just nods while leaning back to look at her design from a distance.

“Yeah, sort of. I mean, we get to say what we wanted to say to each other and I think that’s enough. The last time we ever talk serious was when we broke up million years ago through a phone call. So yeah, besides there’s nothing I would do to ruin his cute little family. Wanna bet?” Hana close her sketchbook and then looks at Eunseo who furrows her brows at the offer, “Bet on what?” Eunseo asks her back.

“I say it’s a girl, the baby.” Hana says and Eunseo laughs, “Oh no, it’s a boy. Bet’s on,” Eunseo nods and Hana just laughs. “Let’s go home now,” Hana says and Eunseo nods while standing up from her seat.

-----

Hana puts down her bag and then goes to her kitchen, she hasn’t had her dinner yet. She opens her meat freezer and put it in a bowl under a running water from the tap, she waits until it submerges in the water and leave it to defrost the meat. She walks to her bedroom and takes a shower before cooking for dinner. She plays her playlist and let the music fill the silence. Since her parents passed away just a couple months shy her graduation from junior high school, she doesn’t have anyone to live with. Her parents passed away in a plane crash and she has to deal with everything. Her parents’ attorney is the one who told her that besides from working in banking sector, her parents also live through trust fund from her grandparents and that her parents already made a trust fund arrangement for her. She knows they made a lot but she doesn’t know that there’s a lot of things they left for her.

Suddenly her name shows up in several newspapers and magazines that lead to her nickname during high school, people looked at her differently and that confused her. Eunseo is the only one who approached her on the first day in high school. Her old friends all went to art high school while she decides to go to a normal high school, she still didn’t know what to pursue as a career. The girl takes a seat right beside her and then introduces herself, questioning why no one sit right beside her when it’s the best seat in the class.

---

“Is this seat taken?”

Hana looked up from her phone and then saw a girl with ponytail pointing at the seat right beside her, “No,” she answered and Eunseo happily took the seat.

“Why does no one want to sit here? This is the best spot in the class,” Eunseo wondered while looking around, a couple students were looking at them and she frowned. “And why does everyone stare at us?” Eunseo said again and Hana just chuckled. “Well, it’s more likely they’re staring at me. So sorry,” Hana apologized, Eunseo turned to her completely.

“What did you do before? Bullying? Kidnapped?” Eunseo questioned her but Hana just smiled listening to her guesses, “Actually nothing, but people just like to assume things.” Hana shook her head. “Oh, I’m Han Eunseo. Nice to meet you, what’s your name?” Eunseo offered Hana her hand, “Kang Hana, nice to meet you.” Hana shook her hand and Eunseo realized something.

“Ah, you’re the girl who appeared in news a lot lately, right?” Eunseo guessed and Hana nodded, “Yeah, I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable or any—” Eunseo quickly shook her head. “Of course not, you just been through a lot and then suddenly you inherited lots of money, in this case millions of dollars. But that doesn’t change you, I mean, I don’t think you changed. From the way everyone looking at you and how you apologized to me earlier, I just know?” Eunseo said and Hana just laughed.

“Thank you, I don’t really have close friends. My friends went to art high school and they suddenly act differently as if I ‘killed’ my parents for the money that I didn’t even know exists,” Hana confessed and Eunseo looked at her, she felt sorry for Hana.

“Well, if you live in another country, I don’t think that would be an issue. I mean, trust fund is normal for parents who actually think about their children’s wellbeing in the future. But you live in a country where money is really sensitive and I don’t think those reporters would shut up until something big blew up, North Korea’s leader’s death for example. People would forget about it after some times, don’t worry.” Eunseo assured her, Hana nodded along because she agreed to her statement.

“You’re cool,” Hana said and Eunseo just laughed, “Well, for someone who just found out that your older sister wasn’t actually your sister, everything seems normal for me.” Eunseo said as if it’s a normal thing to say.

“What?” Hana furrowed her brows and Eunseo laughed, she moved closer towards Hana to tell her story.

“Well, this happened last week. My sister needs a blood transfusion because she just had a surgery but none of us match with her, her blood type is AB while mine and my parents are O. Scientifically, it couldn’t happen. So, while waiting for her to finish the transfusion, my parents decided it was the best time to drop the freaking bomb. My mother was deemed infertile three years after my parents got married so they decided to adopt my sister, but suddenly God decided that the doctor’s verdict was a joke and He gave them me. They did all the DNA test and voila, I am their child. Then, they just decided to raise us without telling me that my sister is not my biological sister. I mean, it’s not a problem but dude don’t drop a bomb like that without warning.”

Hana laughed at her story, “It must be fun to have a sister,” Hana commented. “Oh, believe me, you’d hate your siblings the first twelve years of your life.” Eunseo shook her head, “She actually a twelve grader in this school, you can come over anytime.” Eunseo offered Hana.

“You don’t mind?” Eunseo shook her head, “Well, if you want to.” Eunseo said again and Hana nodded. That’s how they became friends until now.

-----

Hana finishes making her dinner and takes it to the dining table where she puts all of her sketches across the table, she eats her dinner while looking at her sketches. The soft voice of Michael Bublé fills the whole house, this is what she enjoys the most. Food, sketches, and music. While decided colors for some dresses, her phone buzzes.

‘Oh, sure! I’ll pick you up since I’m the one who asked you out,’

Hana smiles and replies back to Junmyeon’s text.

‘Sure, no prob!’

-----

“Where’s Jinyoung?”

Hana asks Eunseo who’s still talking with Hyewon in the reception desk, “He has a meeting so he’ll be five or ten minutes late, wait, you’re really going out? Like, with another human being other than me?” Eunseo asks as she turns to look at Hana who’s ready to go out with her handbag, “I told you Junmyeon asked for a lunch out and you told me to try so I am going out as you wish,” Hana answers. Eunseo smiles, “Good girl,” she pats Hana’s head, Hana can’t help but laughing at her act.

The bell chimes and Junmyeon comes in, Hana can hear Eunseo’s gasp followed by Hyewon. The guy does look good if not great, he only been to the reunion once which is like four years ago and it was a short trip because he was in Seoul for a work. Eunseo never get a full glimpse of him and this would be the first time she sees him in person.

“Oh yeah, he does look good. Damn,” Eunseo mutters and Hana laughs at the remark, “Hi, ready for lunch?” Junmyeon asks and Hana nods. “Oh, this is Han Eunseo if you remember. We went to high school together,” Hana says and Junmyeon offers his hand to Eunseo who smiles and accepts it, “Of course I do, your sister shared the same class as my brother right?” Suho tries to remember correctly. “Yeah, they were in the same class for two consecutive years.” Eunseo nods as she remembers what he says.

“Alright then, off you go kids.” Eunseo shushes them and Hana rolls her eyes at her, “See you later,” Hana waves at Eunseo and also Hyewon who waves back.

“So, you have somewhere to eat in mind?” Hana asks as they walk out of Cordelia, “Yeah, I heard about this restaurant nearby. My brother said it’s really famous and good,” Junmyeon answers. “Oh, you mean Dalnim?” she asks again and he nods in response.

They walk together to the restaurant as it isn’t far from Cordelia and it actually a nice day out. Junmyeon realizes several new shops he doesn’t know before and Hana telling him everything that is newly opened. The boy rarely sets foot in South Korea, he goes to MIT for both his undergraduate and graduate study then work directly for SpaceX since then. During Chuseok or any other holidays, he would visit his family for a brief two days trip and goes back to the States. Even though his accomplishments are amazing, he never really brought it up or brag. He’s so grounded and that’s what Hana remembers about him. Despite being the student body president and on the top of the honors roll, Junmyeon never acts as if he’s on top of the world. He signed up as a tutor even helped a lot of their friends before the CSAT or suneung that he didn’t take because he already got the MIT early decision result. Hana also didn’t take the test but Eunseo did.

“So, how is it like being back after years? I mean, I was away for four years, you’ve been away for how many years again?”

“Almost twelve years, I’ve travelled back and forth but never really got to stay long like this time.” Junmyeon answers as they take a seat in the restaurant, it’s lunch time so it is a bit crowded but they manage to find a good seat on the sofa.

“Have you ever got homesick? Missing your family and stuff?” Hana asks and he nods, “Yeah, a couple of times during the first two years but then I just went with it. My mom called me during weekday while my brother enjoys making fun of me whenever I ask him something, my dad simply emailed me I don’t know why.” Junmyeon answers as they read the menu.

“It must be fun, I mean, I don’t really have anyone back here except Eunseo.” Hana laughs and Junmyeon’s expression changes because he realizes something, “Oh, no, no. I don’t accept apologies. It’s fine, they’re happy up there and it’s been almost sixteen years so that’s fine.” Hana raises both of her hands while shaking her head. She knows it is weird for some people but she has let go of her parents and always takes a joke to cover for the little sadness inside of her.

“You’re cool,” Junmyeon tilts his head, “Thank you, it’s kind of weird. Nobody really wants to be with me or likes me back in high school,” Hana shrugs and then a waiter comes to give them their drinks.

“Nah, there’s Eunseo and if I’m not wrong, you were dating someone throughout second and third year in high school. Kim…. Jongdae, right?” he asks and she nods, “Yeah, but we broke up during college. You know, distances and everything.” Hana shakes her head and adjusts her seat. Still quite uncomfortable talking about it and Junmyeon somehow realizes it.

“But still, you manage to make the most of it. Look at you know, you made it.” he says and she lights up at the words, “Thank you, you too. Your family must be really proud and I kind of see it coming. I mean, you graduated top of the class, valedictorian, went to MIT. Dude,” Hana raises her brows but Junmyeon just smiles.

“You accept my invitation for lunch so I guess, no boyfriend?” he asks and Hana laughs at the question, “Nope, apparently Jongdae was my first and last boyfriend, so far.” Hana shakes her head while laughing at her answer. “That’s okay, I’ve never been in a relationship. Well, if you count a some­ as a relationship then it was during my first year in college. So, yeah. We’re both pathetic.” he shrugs and then laughs, “Seriously? You?” Hana asks in disbelief. “Yeah, but I’m a little bit of nerdy so I get it. But you, why?” Junmyeo asks her back, Hana takes a sip of her own drinks and shrugs. “I guess no one ever likes me that way before, aside from my ex.” Hana answers but Junmyeon tilts his head in disagree.

“No, you’re just not your own type. A lot of people do, don’t be too hard to yourself. Besides, it doesn’t matter what others thinks, what matters is how you actually accept yourself and be proud about yourself. Loving others sometimes easier than loving yourself, I’ve learned it the hard way.”

Hana looks at him, Junmyeon always manages to let out some beautiful words like that even back in high school. Everyone chose him as their student body president because he’s not only smart but also gentle with his words and actions. She now remembers again how everyone trust him, he hasn’t changed. Just more mature than he already was.

“Also, you should be the one who love yourself more than anyone in this world.” he adds and then a waiter comes with their foods.

“Are you sure you’re an engineer, not a poet?” Hana asks but he just chuckles at her remark, they continue to have a lunch while reminiscing on high school day and sharing what they’ve been through these years.

“Don’t you have friends to visit? I mean, I’m sure there are other person than your family that you miss here.” Hana starts another conversation after they’ve been quiet for a while, “Oh, I’m still in contact with Minseok and Chanyeol but they’re busy so they could only meet up during weekends. You know, doctors.” he answers before he puts a spoon full of rice into his mouth. Hana nods along, he remembers the funny dynamic between the three of them. Chanyeol is really tall so Junmyeon and Minseok standing right beside him would seen like minions although the other two are not that short.

-----

“That was nice, it’s really great to see friends from high school and talks about high school days.” Junmyeon says as they step outside the restaurant, Hana nods along because she agrees with him. “Yeah, I know right. Sometimes reunion isn’t my type but just taking like earlier is fun for me,” Hana adds, she takes out her phone to see any messages or emails she misses.

Junmyone watches her as they walk together, she feels his eyes on her and then decides to lock her phone after replying to some messages. “What’s wrong?” she asks him but he just shakes his head, “Nah, it’s just weird you know. We rarely talk back then except for festivals or shows, to be honest I always admire your works.” he confesses a little and she grins. “Really? Thank you,” she tilts her head as he nods. The walk back to Cordelia is silence, they just keep walking while looking at their surroundings. As soon as they stop in front of Cordelia, she turns around to look at him.

“Thank you for the lunch, you didn’t have to pay for me though. I feel like I owe you a debt,’ she says but he just smiles, “Well, maybe that was my intention?” he raises his brows as if asking her to conspire together.

“Ah, that was smooth. Dinner on me next time?” she asks, he widens his eyes as if he couldn’t believe she agrees on his tactics. “Well, well. Sure, so next time?” she nods and then leans forward to hug him, “I’ll call,” he nods after they let go and Hana walks back into Cordelia.

In front of the reception desk, Eunseo and Hyewon are looking at her as if she just did something weird. “So, there’s such thing as next time?” Eunseo raises her brows at Hana who just laughs, “You said I should try so I am trying,” she shrugs and Eunseo just smiles. “Right, you are.” Eunseo smiles, “I’ll be right back after I put my bag,” Hana says and then walks to her room.

Hana fishes out her phone from her bag after putting it down on her desk, she sees a message from Junmyeon.

It is really nice to talk with you,’

She smiles, Eunseo’s right all along. It’s not easy to forget the person you love the most after all these years but there’s no harm to try again. So, she’s willing to try again. It won’t hurt, right?


A/N:

HELOOOOOWW I know it took me soooo long to write this but believe me I am trying my best hehehe I hope you guys enjoy this and I just want to write a story about accepting Jongdae's marriage. The boy is happy so should we! We're aunties now lol Alsoooo I miss junmyeonnnnn:( I hope all of them went to enlist fast because we want to see them back as a group as soon as possible right? BTOB is an example of funny group lmao I miss exo ot9. Anyway, TOMORROW IS SECHAN'S COMEBACK OMG HAVE YOU SEEN THEIR INDIVIDUAL MV AND TELEPHONE'S MV? :( I'm crying omg cant wait for 1 bllion views! I hope you guys enjoy this and please do leave some comments down bellow, tell me what you think:) 

See yaaaa on the next stories, bye~!