One

Merrily Chained

There she is again, alone and working on the stacks of papers that's not even her job to do, hoping to get just a bit of validation from her classmates. That's how she's been spending her lunch break everytime, and it's been 3 years now, she should've known she's not gonna get it.

To why people doesn't want to associate with her is not really that clear to me. She didn't smell nor her face is too ugly to scare people off, but somehow she managed to make people avoid her. My best guess is she weirded them out. After all, who would want to be friends with a girl whose hair is always in a messy braid with bangs almost covering her eyes, and doesn't know how to keep a normal conversation because her eyes can't help but wander around when you talk to her. It's the best explanation to why even in her 3rd year in highschool, she still have no friends. People talk to her sometimes but it's only either they need her for extra help or to make her the laughing stock.

I can't help but watch her whenever I'm in the cafeteria and it's all the same everytime. Their class president will dump all the works that suppose to be hers and she'll blindly obey. It's just like that everytime but it never fails to distract me when I'm suppose to be paying attention with my friends, just like now.

If it wasn't for Lisa's elbow jab, I wouldn't have noticed what's happening infront of me.

"Hey, Jackson's about to do it! look! look! look!" Lisa said.

Jackson looked uneased as he pinches his nose, while holding a cup of dark liquid on his other hand. He closed his eyes shut and chugged the thing he's holding. Two of our friends, Yeri and Wonpil's face contorted in disgust as they watched him, then laughed as Jackson finishes. His lips quivering and looking like he's about to throw up any moment.

"What was that?" I whispered to Lisa. I was completely lost of what just happened.

"We put soy sauce and ketchup in his sprite and dared him to drink it." She answered. "Why were you not paying attention anyway? What are you looking at back there?"

"Nothing!" I tried convincing her not to look but didn't work. She started scanning the people on our left.

"Oh I get it." She smirked.

Beside the table of the one I'm actually looking at is the table where the visual volleyball players are having their lunch. Rosè, Joy, Seulgi, and the new addition of the team, Tzuyu, my crush... Or atleast that's what I told them.

I stiffled a laugh while I look at Lisa looking smugly, letting her think she actually got it.

"Well, you got me." I said.

I've been watching her ever since, but only today that I was almost caught. I suppose I could just enjoy my time with my friends, but knowing she's just a few meters away, prevented me from doing so. The fear that my friends or the people around me might eventually find out that I'm connected to her, terrifies me. Especially now that I'm one of the best player of the school's football team alongside with Lisa, my friends Jackson, Wonpil, and Yeri are doing just as great in taekwondo. Everyone knows us and respects us, but the moment people find out I'm related to someone completely opposite of me, all these I'm trying so hard to maintain will instantly disappear.

The moment I found that this is her life in highschool, I realize what I had to do and what not to do, and I did it. Jihyo unnie is where she is now because of her doing. She brought all those to herself because she's pathetic, a push-over, and a coward. She tried so hard not attract attention, but still managed to do so, and the attention she's even getting are the worst kind. Judging eyes and sniggers everytime she walks by.

Jihyo, my half-sister. She's fully aware how much I despise her. I don't think she'd ever talk about our relation to each other. I'm also certain that the few others that knew us wouldn't dare to talk about it as well, because it's not like they'd gain anything.

.

Done with lunch, we started preparing to go back to our class, and just like us, the rest of the people around us started going out of the cafeteria as well. Except for her, of course. She remained doing what she's doing amidst the crowd of students walking passed her.

I took one last look, burning that pathetic image of her into my mind, reminding me of what I don't ever want to become.... But little did I know, that was actually the last time I'd see her in that spot.

---

She got home at almost 9pm and all of us already had dinner. She got home with her hair, face and the front of her uniform covered with flour.

"Jihyo! What happened to you?" My mom rushed to her while me and my other sister just expressed our confusion.

The living room filled with silence for a few seconds before she suddenly kneeled in front of mom and the powder on her cheeks started washing off by her tears.

"Ma, I don't want to go to school anymore." She pleaded.

All mom could do is cry along with her. Ofcourse, no mother would want their child to drop out of school, especially in highschool. But maybe because of 3 years of accumulated balance in our school, mom knew there's a huge chance no one in the school would take her seriously if she tries complaining. Transfering school is not gonna be an option as well for the same reason.

So I guess that's it. Nayeon and I will be the only ones that will continue our studies from now on because Jihyo is being selfish again. I couldn't take another look at her, so I rushed to my room.
I don't think I'll ever stop loathing her. She's always like that, like suffering on her own wasn't enough for her that she always has to make a way to make the rest of us suffer as well.

I can't believe she just quit highschool. 3 years ago, she quit modeling because she said she wanted to experience being a normal highschool student who only worries about her studies and nothing more. Her modeling, which is our financial source other than Dad who is working in Dubai. She didn't even thought about what would happen to us before she quit, all she has is that stupid reason of her. And now what? She's just gonna throw her highschool away just like what she did to her modeling career.

The next day, she did started not going to school. I saw her watching television with her messy bun and blank stare just as I was about to walk out of the door. She looks a lot pathetic than whenever I see her in the cafeteria and it boils my blood even more. Not a single trace of guilt on her face just shows that either she's not aware or she didn't care at all that she's the reason why our family is a mess due to her selfishness and unawareness.

I didn't understand why mom would still defend her, telling us that what she's going through is not easy at all. I get that she'd have to juggle her studies and career but she's been doing that since she was 4, I didn't get why it'd be a problem now. And it's not like she's not aware that we're all depending on her more than the aid Dad gives from working overseas. Is her petty reason justifiable? Or is she just aware that we owe her the comfortable life we're living in and so she's entitled to just take it back whenever she pleases?

I slammed the door as I went out. I couldn't bare looking at her stupid face for too long. After all, the damage has been done, our life's now a mess. We sold our car and house as our life took a dive, and we're now just renting a house from our aunt. It's all thanks to Jihyo unnie.